CC#54 WiPs ~ What is it that you truly desire? after party Chit Chat

Comments

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981
    edited October 2020
    Bunyip02 said:
    ed3D said:

~  and a couple other TrueSpaces  ~

Nice modelling, looking forward to the render !!

Agree! yes
    Looking forward to where you are headed with these.

_  thanx  very  kindly  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited October 2020
    ed3D said:

DesertDude said:
    Wish my cats would treat me that way.

_   it might be , Because they ain't tall enough   _

~  DesertDude  =  So , see that You joined in December 1969 _ pretty good  ~

Haha ed3D, I know weird, huh? Wish my time travelling self had given me better career advice...

~ Yeah ,  weird   _  career advice ....such as , stock tips , lottery numbers ....   _  any items like these ~ giggle ~

Post edited by ed3D on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Thanks all for nice comments on the shell WIP. Sorry I haven't put together my mini tut yet.

I've been picking at my image all week, and while it's far from finished, thought I'd share my current WIP:

Still lots to do. I want to add in more grass, weeds, rocks and pebbles...and finish the the flower, lol. Just kind of burned out on computer stuffs today. I did make a quickie composite using a Depth Matte to drive some color and atmosphere into the background. Also used Carrara's native Depth of Field. This is still a total WIP.

And see? I told you I was gonna rip off Goya. laugh

Terrific modeling and render.  Love the shaders.  Goya never looked like this. smiley

What is a depth matte?

Headwax said:

Your normal awesomeness. smiley

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited October 2020

Terrific modeling and render.  Love the shaders.  Goya never looked like this. smiley

What is a depth matte?

Thanks for the nice words UnifiedBrain.

A depth matte is a grayscale image of your scene where objects closest to the camera are dark and as objects recede in the scene, they become lighter in value. Carrara can create one automatically using the MultiPass options in the Render room:

You can then take that and use it to drive other effects in post. Here is a screengrab from After Effects using an Adjustment Layer and the Depth Matte as a Luma Matte. Darker values receive less effects and lighter values receive more. You could also invert the matte if you want effects on the closer objects and less on distant objects. And of course, you can adjust/ fine tune the matte itself or totally crush the values depending on whatever 'look' you are after.

Here is the 'Beauty' pass unaltered for comparrison:

Another use is you can drop it on top of your image and set the Layer Transfer Mode to 'Screen' and adjust the tranparency to taste and it will create a sort of 'foggy' effect (see same screengrab where the top layer is set to Screen with the Opacity adjusted.

Lastly you can even cook your own matte using the Distance Fog in Carrara which will allow you to have more hands on control to dial in the values of the matte using the Start Radius and Extent Radius. Just turn off your lights.

Oh, and of course you can use it to add Depth of Field in post. I used Carrara's native DOF, but for animations or if you want more control or don't want to add such expensive render options it can easier to apply in post.

Those are just a few examples for which I use a depth matte. Hope that makes some sense. smiley

edited: to add Beauty pass and some more clarifications

multipass_render_room.jpg
    541 x 467 - 27K
    depth.jpg
    1150 x 800 - 49K
    depth_adjustment-layer.jpg
    1431 x 1051 - 117K
    distance_fog.jpg
    1044 x 570 - 33K
    beauty.jpg
    1150 x 800 - 87K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686

Thanks all for nice comments on the shell WIP. Sorry I haven't put together my mini tut yet.

I've been picking at my image all week, and while it's far from finished, thought I'd share my current WIP:

Still lots to do. I want to add in more grass, weeds, rocks and pebbles...and finish the the flower, lol. Just kind of burned out on computer stuffs today. I did make a quickie composite using a Depth Matte to drive some color and atmosphere into the background. Also used Carrara's native Depth of Field. This is still a total WIP.

And see? I told you I was gonna rip off Goya. laugh

Groovy !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2020

DesertDude - great modeling and beautiful color choices.  First rate.

Headwax - simple and expressive - wonderful

Post edited by Diomede on

What is a depth matte?

Thanks for the nice words UnifiedBrain.

A depth matte is a grayscale image of your scene where objects closest to the camera are dark and as objects recede in the scene, they become lighter in value. Carrara can create one automatically using the MultiPass options in the Render room:

You can then take that and use it to drive other effects in post. Here is a screengrab from After Effects using an Adjustment Layer and the Depth Matte as a Luma Matte. Darker values receive less effects and lighter values receive more. You could also invert the matte if you want effects on the closer objects and less on distant objects. And of course, you can adjust/ fine tune the matte itself or totally crush the values depending on whatever 'look' you are after.

Here is the 'Beauty' pass unaltered for comparrison:

Another use is you can drop it on top of your image and set the Layer Transfer Mode to 'Screen' and adjust the tranparency to taste and it will create a sort of 'foggy' effect (see same screengrab where the top layer is set to Screen with the Opacity adjusted.

Lastly you can even cook your own matte using the Distance Fog in Carrara which will allow you to have more hands on control to dial in the values of the matte using the Start Radius and Extent Radius. Just turn off your lights.

Oh, and of course you can use it to add Depth of Field in post. I used Carrara's native DOF, but for animations or if you want more control or don't want to add such expensive render options it can easier to apply in post.

Those are just a few examples for which I use a depth matte. Hope that makes some sense. smiley

edited: to add Beauty pass and some more clarifications

Thanks for the clear and detailed answer.  I followed it pretty well.  For sure, you know a lot more about postwork than I do.:)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

I use those depth maps to make those Facebook depth images

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Thanks Bunyip and Diomede!

I use those depth maps to make those Facebook depth images

I had a quick look at that thread and examples again. Cool work Wendy!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited October 2020

thanks @desertdude, @diomede, @unifiedbrain, @bunyip02 for kind comments on my images :)

apologies again for not being proactive this time round

great explication desertdude :)

@UnifiedBrain there's also this pdf on render passes I put together from a previous thread where the original images have unfortunately vaporised 

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/4c/e8fbc62f778844c745e8ffa07541e8.pdf

original thread, also has the car file attached to first post if you want to play

Post edited by Headwax on

@DesertDude - that's another classic image, love the colour saturation - and even how well structured the instances tab is!! Goya nevere looked so good.

@Diomede - heartwarming to see people usuimng some of the included Carrara content - reckon that should be the subject of another challenge one time - and thanks for the canteen :)

@Vyusur - that's a terrific use of Carrara to get that illustration effect

@Stezza, you been hanging around my garden? _ i'm sure I recognised Louis the fly....  Admire how you make your characters so expressive.

@Varsel - looking forward to borrowing your new car :)

@ed3d - great to see people using truespace - sad that it was abandonned :(

A Sudden Desire to Rip a Bodice

This is another one for the ladies... although you never know. :)

no postwork? that's amazing your grasp of Carrara - and a professional job of the cover - sure you aren't hovering here as a pro artist?​ - you could get a job doing that kind of cover

Diomede said:

And here is my own current incomplete - modeled a quick muppet-like monster with blue hair and top eyeballs.  Created a single mat zone for everywhere I want hair and excluded where I don't.

Wonder what this monster truly desires?

Having been borne a hundred years before you I had only ever heard of this guy. But I recognised him immediately as a 1970s' pop star :) Classic work.

Bunyip02 said:

A brand new Flying Car

Fairly basic scene, background image used, also a HDRI for paint/chrome reflections.

Paint Job No.2

beaut job - very convincing the effect of getting the car to hover in space - that's pretty hard to do 

Grizzley Mike discovers something even more desirable than hanging out with bears...

How this render came about:  I loaded Michael 5 into Carrara because I was trying to answer a question on the forum about loading Genesis from Smart Content.  Once the character was loaded, I had to have a play. :)  Skin tecture was the main focus.  Dimension Theory's Monterey HDR was part of the process.

At another time, I downloaded an object file into Carrara because it looked interesting (cottage.obj).  I altered it significantly in the modeling and texture rooms.

For this Challenge, I decided to combine the Cottage and M5, and added the bear (Philemo cutout) and the windows with blurred reflections (had never done them before).

All the hair on M5 is Carrara hair, except the eyebrows.

This render is dedicated to Misty and Wendy.  I don't think he has a hairy crack, but I didn't render that part to find out. :)

No postwork.

thanks for the explication - the skin looks perfect - just the right amount of shine and you can almost smell the paws ... err I mean pores :)

edited October 2020

I always wented a glass board so I could see the water trails beneath me while I surfed the wave.

I never wanted to see the bities that swam under me as I was paddling back out though

unadulterated image attached - the scene is in carrara's native files

Untitled-finito.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 5M
    wip.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    Headwax said:

@ed3d - great to see people using truespace - sad that it was abandonned :(

_  yeah ,  But at Least  MS  made it Free   ._  rather than just cancelled  ._.

Headwax said:

I always wented a glass board so I could see the water trails beneath me while I surfed the wave.

I never wanted to see the bities that swam under me as I was paddling back out though

~  pretty cool  ~  Or some kind of plastic , Which is transparent and or translucent

Headwax said:

A Sudden Desire to Rip a Bodice

This is another one for the ladies... although you never know. :)

no postwork? that's amazing your grasp of Carrara - and a professional job of the cover - sure you aren't hovering here as a pro artist?​ - you could get a job doing that kind of cover

~  + 1   _  yeah , agree  ~

edited October 2020

~ and  more WIPs

2BIG MOUNT UHF_HALF.png
    1920 x 1035 - 1011K
    Post edited by ed3D on
    ed3D said:

~ and  more WIPs

loving the saucer :)

Headwax said:

Nice render !!!

ed3D said:

~ and  more WIPs

Nice progress !!!

Thanks for the comments on the historical romance cover, HW and ed3D!

Headwax said:

sure you aren't hovering here as a pro artist?​ - you could get a job doing that kind of cover

Very flattering, but you know better. smiley  And further, I suspect that there are a lot of starving (therefore serious) artists competing for a very small number of those jobs.  It would be probably easier to write the book.  "Her chest constricted in the tight corset as she lowered her eyes to avoid his penetrating gaze."  Yeah, I could do that.

If the day comes where I make my first dollar illustrating something, I will be as shocked as anyone.

Headwax said:

Geez.  The lighting, the textures... and those drips at the top!

edited October 2020

Headwax, I wonder what could inspire a surfing image.  Beautiful.  

ed3D - coming along nicely.  did you model these in truespace?  ive never tried that. 

Thanks for the comments on mine, Headwax

One more simple scene

Starting to block out another entry, this time with the canteen model.  A few terrains, multichannel mixer terrain shaders driven by a slope function in the blender to give the steep parts a red rocky base and the flat portions a sandy base.  Both might need to move more toward gray for my tastes.  Realistic sky with harsh sun - too harsh.  need to fix poke through, get the character's feet on the ground, touch up the shaders for grime, and parch the skin of the character.  We shall see.

EDIT - do i have a vulture model?

canteen 01.jpg
    800 x 520 - 66K
    canteen 02.jpg
    1902 x 966 - 218K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Headwax, I wonder what could inspire a surfing image.  Beautiful.  

ed3D - coming along nicely.  did you model these in truespace?  ive never tried that. 

Thanks for the comments on mine, Headwax

One more simple scene

Starting to block out another entry, this time with the canteen model.  A few terrains, multichannel mixer terrain shaders driven by a slope function in the blender to give the steep parts a red rocky base and the flat portions a sandy base.  Both might need to move more toward gray for my tastes.  Realistic sky with harsh sun - too harsh.  need to fix poke through, get the character's feet on the ground, touch up the shaders for grime, and parch the skin of the character.  We shall see.

EDIT - do i have a vulture model?

Looking good - Stezza's Vulture - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1788836/#Comment_1788836

Thank you, Bunyip.

And thank you, Stezza!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

eeeek!  that is one wacky vulture I did! four years ago laugh

awesome stuffs happening as we near the end...

we're into the final stretch now.... better get yer wips and entries in