• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited September 2020

Part 2 of my idea .... 

Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 176K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Varsel

- let me guess, the content looking guy in the chair would like goodies served by an Aiko-bot.  Who wouldn't?  Excellent.

- my monster WIP does look like the cookie monster.  Hopefully, looks enough like some generic monster from Monsters Inc to avoid issues with either.

Freebie Attached

- Now each of you can be gluttons for cookies, or come out of closets to scare kiddies (or make them laugh), or sing songs about the alphabet.  See attached.  I did only minimal weightmapping and no joint constraints or IK chains at all.  It does have rotation morphs for the eyes and a morph to open and close the mouth.  The other morphs are intentionally left blank to be available for corrections after posing.  The hair visibility is unchecked.  I don't know if that saves file size or not but I am trying to make it a habit.

zip
    zip
    dio hairy monster zip.zip
    dio hairy monster freebie visibility notice.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
    edited September 2020

Some tips for correcting poorly rigged and badly weightmapped figures like the DioMonster

The DioMonster comes with some BLANK morphs for the body.  To improve a pose, you have several choices that can be found in the modeling wrench room under in animation mode (looks like a torso, arms, and head middle option at top right).

1)  After posed, in modeling room animation mode, under bone tab, can select individual vertex, or groups of polygons, and use sliders to adjust bone weights.

2)  After posed, in modeling room animation mode, select the weight brush from the top menu, and select the bone from properties tray on right to increase or decrease weights on figure

3) After posed, in modeling room animation mode, under morph tab, select morph area and specific morph, click EDIT and the morph area turns green, use modeling selection and translation/rotation tools to adjust model as desired.  Click validate when finished.  Morph is set to zero, return to assemble room and slide morph as desired up to one for fix.

4) Like (3), except use the Displacement Brush tool from the top menu to do the correction.  The displacement brush has a SMOOTH options which is very useful.

With left thigh bone rotated forward up and knee bent, the left leg crumples undesireably.  I used the tips above to edit the MOR LThigh 01 morph to smooth the crumples.

Correction morph at 0

Correction morph at 1

zz01 running pose bones.jpg
    1555 x 963 - 290K
    zz04 enter modeling room but in default pose.jpg
    1889 x 975 - 258K
    zz05 enter animation mode top middle looks like chest arms and head.jpg
    1683 x 980 - 227K
    zz07 see vertex move up as increase ankle L and reduce kneeL.jpg
    1345 x 842 - 190K
    zz09 can also select polygons and adjust with sliders.jpg
    1636 x 982 - 237K
    zz10 can also select the weight brush and choose by bone with add and subtract.jpg
    1533 x 976 - 262K
    zz12 i clicked edit on MOR L Thigh 01 see turn green and load save valid options appear.jpg
    1401 x 988 - 265K
    zz15 smooth the ankle with displacement brush.jpg
    1398 x 994 - 149K
    zz17 back in assemble room morph at zero and thigh bend looks crumpled.jpg
    1908 x 1011 - 323K
    zz18 set morph to 1 and correction fixed.jpg
    1589 x 1034 - 294K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited September 2020
    Stezza said:

modeled the SpeederBike, the Mandalorian Helmet & Baby Yoda for this image..

Ol' Blue Desires a SpeederBike

used LoRenzo and rock formations purchased from here.. had to export the rock from DS in OBJ as it would just sit there in never never land when loaded into Carrara. Retextured it all and added some dust in PSE20 in post.

Any chance of making that helmet available as a DAZ Sttudio compatible freebie on Sharecg.com?

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660
    edited September 2020
    Diomede said:

Varsel

- let me guess, the content looking guy in the chair would like goodies served by an Aiko-bot.  Who wouldn't?  Excellent.

- my monster WIP does look like the cookie monster.  Hopefully, looks enough like some generic monster from Monsters Inc to avoid issues with either.

Freebie Attached

- Now each of you can be gluttons for cookies, or come out of closets to scare kiddies (or make them laugh), or sing songs about the alphabet.  See attached.  I did only minimal weightmapping and no joint constraints or IK chains at all.  It does have rotation morphs for the eyes and a morph to open and close the mouth.  The other morphs are intentionally left blank to be available for corrections after posing.  The hair visibility is unchecked.  I don't know if that saves file size or not but I am trying to make it a habit.

Thanks for the Freebie - Doughnut Monster - not an entry

CC54 Doughnut Monster 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796
    edited September 2020

great freebie to play with thanks @Diomede yes

Desire Cookies.png
    640 x 480 - 278K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited September 2020

Here we have a try...

Might not be totally political correct...

Doc2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 541K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited September 2020

Great to see the hairy monster in action, Bunyip and Stezza!

Varsel - looks correct to me.  devil

Freebie Cookie Attached

Here is a simple cookie, started with an oval, tried to get a crumb top using a displacement.  Procedural shaders.

DioCookie Image.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    zip
    zip
    DioCookie DisplacementZip.zip
  • Bunyip02 said:

A brand new Flying Car

Fairly basic scene, background image used, also a HDRI for paint/chrome reflections.

Paint Job No.2

Nice subject and pose there Bunyip!  I particularly like how you managed to reveal the impressive tower even though the ship blocked it out.

To make it more realistic (if that is a goal) I think that the ship could be a bit brighter (the city is relatively bright).  Also, window glass reflections might help sell it better.

What is that seam at the bottom right, where it shifts from dark blue to light blue?

• Stezza said:

Diomede said:

Impressive modeling there, Stezza and Diomede!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited September 2020

A Sudden Desire to Rip a Bodice

This is another one for the ladies... although you never know. :)

Played this one pretty straight.  It has the elements of a typical romance novel cover.

The characters are V4 and M3.  Did a lot of soft select tweaking in the modeling room to get the limbs and torsos right.  Kitbashed the clothes.  V4 is wearing the My Princess top and the Happy Skirt bottom, both with modified textures.  M3 has pants from the High Fantasy Clothing Bundle, which is apparently no longer available.  It's the reason I keep buying old products, before they are vaulted.  The boots are Bucanneer Boots from the M3 Boot Pack.  Hair is Leyton and Mon Chevalier.

The vessels are HMS Victory and Cast Away Dinghy.  Never used either before.  Both work well in Carrara.

I used the Spectral Clouds preset as a base environment, changed the clouds and added a rock.  All text is Carrara.  GMIC was used only for contrast.

Because of the reflections and delicate (thinner) features, I made a fairly large render (2700x3564) and went with an object accuracy of 1.  Even with 24 buckets, it still took 6 hours!  Too long for my tastes.

No postwork.

A Sudden Desire.png
    1100 x 1452 - 3M
    A Sudden Carrara setup.JPG
    1457 x 1080 - 278K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Stezza - The speed at which you model always amazes me. Super Duper! yes

Varsel said:

Here we have a try...

Very clever image Varsel. I like the sense of that large empty space.
    Wish my cats would treat me that way. cheeky

Diomede said:

Some tips for correcting poorly rigged and badly weightmapped figures like the DioMonster

The DioMonster comes with some BLANK morphs for the body.  To improve a pose, you have several choices that can be found in the modeling wrench room under in animation mode (looks like a torso, arms, and head middle option at top right).

1)  After posed, in modeling room animation mode, under bone tab, can select individual vertex, or groups of polygons, and use sliders to adjust bone weights.

2)  After posed, in modeling room animation mode, select the weight brush from the top menu, and select the bone from properties tray on right to increase or decrease weights on figure

3) After posed, in modeling room animation mode, under morph tab, select morph area and specific morph, click EDIT and the morph area turns green, use modeling selection and translation/rotation tools to adjust model as desired.  Click validate when finished.  Morph is set to zero, return to assemble room and slide morph as desired up to one for fix.

4) Like (3), except use the Displacement Brush tool from the top menu to do the correction.  The displacement brush has a SMOOTH options which is very sueful.

With left thigh bone rotated forward up and knee bent, the left leg crumples undesireably.  I used the tips above to edit the MOR LThigh 01 morph to smooth the crumples.

Correction morph at 0

Correction morph at 1

DioMonster is awesome Diomede!
    The tip for smoothing out wrinkles using a Morph and Displacement is so awesome. Thanks for explanations. Another great tip to explore.

Haha UnifiedBrain, perfect encapsultion of a paperback 'dimestore' romance cover. Water refletions are awesome.
    I worked for about 4 years in my teens as a  page at our local library and, paperbacks like these weren't catalogued. Hundredds passed through, lol. And yeah, you never know...cheeky

edited September 2020

Here is my start, doesn't look like much but I tried many methods to get the 'look' I wanted for a snail shell.
    I...struggled for that look and shape of a snail shell all week.
    Carrara isn't lacking in tools, but sometimes I need to be nudged in the right direction.
    I know the speed modeling tutorial is other software but it uses very baisc tools. smiley Also my snail will be own, just was struggling with creating the shell shape.
    Carrara rocks!
    Will re-create basic starting points soon as a mini-tut, 'cause there was some necessary interpolation. smiley

snail_shell_wip.jpg
    1427 x 1086 - 135K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
    edited September 2020

DesertDude - thanks for the snail modeling tutorial.  Always more to learn.  Software lessons generally translate.

UnifiedBrain - That cover is Romance Ready!  Love the little touches like the Canadian price up the spine.

Here is something simple and predictable with the hairy monster.  Dolly is from the Carrara Native Object Browser.

Cookie Monster JPG.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 205K
    Screenshot 2020-09-27 190710.jpg
    1917 x 983 - 404K
    Stezza said:

modeled the SpeederBike, the Mandalorian Helmet & Baby Yoda for this image..

Ol' Blue Desires a SpeederBike

used LoRenzo and rock formations purchased from here.. had to export the rock from DS in OBJ as it would just sit there in never never land when loaded into Carrara. Retextured it all and added some dust in PSE20 in post.

Any chance of making that helmet available as a DAZ Sttudio compatible freebie on Sharecg.com?

probably not... maybe a Carrara freebie though.. hmmmm 

thanks all for your comments on the modeling... I surprise myself sometimes!

@unifiedbrain first look at the poster I though Jane & Tarzan... then I read the text... BTW $10AU lol

@desertdude the snail is coming along nicely ... some edge creases may help out in some parts yes

great images by everyone... enjoying checking them all out while the grandkids are out with Nanny ( school holidays here in Oz ) so time is limited heart

time to raid the cookie jar devil

• for snaily things I cheat and use whelk 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/whelk/

Stezza said:
    @desertdude the snail is coming along nicely ... some edge creases may help out in some parts yes

Thank you Stezza for advice. Adjustments coming down the pipeline. yes

for snaily things I cheat and use whelk 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/whelk/

Sweet!
    Looks very cool.  smiley

(...but looks like Windows only...<sigh>...)

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977
    edited September 2020

DesertDude said:
    Wish my cats would treat me that way.

_   it might be , Because they ain't tall enough   _

~  DesertDude  =  So , see that You joined in December 1969 _ pretty good  ~

Post edited by ed3D on
    Bunyip02 said:

A brand new Flying Car

Fairly basic scene, background image used, also a HDRI for paint/chrome reflections.

Paint Job No.2

Nice subject and pose there Bunyip!  I particularly like how you managed to reveal the impressive tower even though the ship blocked it out.

To make it more realistic (if that is a goal) I think that the ship could be a bit brighter (the city is relatively bright).  Also, window glass reflections might help sell it better.

What is that seam at the bottom right, where it shifts from dark blue to light blue?

Thanks UB. Used a background image where the difference in the water was already there. I assummed it was different depths in the water.

Played this one pretty straight.  It has the elements of a typical romance novel cover.

The characters are V4 and M3.  Did a lot of soft select tweaking in the modeling room to get the limbs and torsos right.  Kitbashed the clothes.  V4 is wearing the My Princess top and the Happy Skirt bottom, both with modified textures.  M3 has pants from the High Fantasy Clothing Bundle, which is apparently no longer available.  It's the reason I keep buying old products, before they are vaulted.  The boots are Bucanneer Boots from the M3 Boot Pack.  Hair is Leyton and Mon Chevalier.

The vessels are HMS Victory and Cast Away Dinghy.  Never used either before.  Both work well in Carrara.

I used the Spectral Clouds preset as a base environment, changed the clouds and added a rock.  All text is Carrara.  GMIC was used only for contrast.

Because of the reflections and delicate (thinner) features, I made a fairly large render (2700x3564) and went with an object accuracy of 1.  Even with 24 buckets, it still took 6 hours!  Too long for my tastes.

No postwork.

Nice render !!!

Varsel said:

Here we have a try...

Love it, even if it's not PC !!!

Here is my start, doesn't look like much but I tried many methods to get the 'look' I wanted for a snail shell.
    I...struggled for that look and shape of a snail shell all week.
    Carrara isn't lacking in tools, but sometimes I need to be nudged in the right direction.
    I know the speed modeling tutorial is other software but it uses very baisc tools. smiley Also my snail will be own, just was struggling with creating the shell shape.
    Carrara rocks!
    Will re-create basic starting points soon as a mini-tut, 'cause there was some necessary interpolation. smiley

Great modelling, looking forward to the rest of the snail !!!

Diomede said:

DesertDude - thanks for the snail modeling tutorial.  Always more to learn.  Software lessons generally translate.

UnifiedBrain - That cover is Romance Ready!  Love the little touches like the Canadian price up the spine.

Here is something simple and predictable with the hairy monster.  Dolly is from the Carrara Native Object Browser.

Cookies !!! That lot will keep him going for a while....

edited September 2020

I have a model of this car. It's in metal and mounted on a stand. I have had it for years... Got it as a present when I was in my twenties ( a long time ago )

So I went searching on the web and found this http://www.dmi-3d.net/lamborghini1.html

Always loved it (and I am at that age were I should buy it). Just wish that I had the money.

So let see if I can do somethig fun with it .... wink

Doc4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,977
    Diomede said:
    ed3D said:

_ And in TrueSpace 7.6  ~  Incomplete

Looking good.  Anticipating complete 

_   thanx so kindly  ~

edited September 2020

Another Freebie on the Way!

A canteen - guess what someone really wants.

Free for any use.  Actually, its is a rather poor job of modeling for such simple shapes.  But hey, it is free.

Some render with a canteen to follow at some point.

EDIT: for some reason the Zip file is not uploading but the pic is.  Will try again later.

canteen pic.jpg
    800 x 600 - 37K

Another Freebie on the Way!  Maybe Not

For some reason the forum is giving me an empty file error for the ZIP file even though I can confirm that the zip file has the Carrara file and the preview pic.  Hmmmmm.  frown  

error uploading zip file.jpg
    957 x 858 - 101K
    error uploading zip file 2.jpg
    1112 x 352 - 55K

@Diomede that happens to me sometimes as well, especially when I'm in the inbetween!

what's the inbetween I hear you say

it's when I get on the forum and it shows me as logged in but when I post a post with an attachment it goes wacko! and won't do it.. so then I get out of the thread and I'm in the inbetween when the page says hang on we're logging you out!

so then I have to log in and repost with attachments and all is well till the next time when I'm caught in the inbetween!

Varsel said:

I have a model of this car. It's in metal and mounted on a stand. I have had it for years... Got it as a present when I was in my twenties ( a long time ago )

So I went searching on the web and found this http://www.dmi-3d.net/lamborghini1.html

Always loved it (and I am at that age were I should buy it). Just wish that I had the money.

So let see if I can do somethig fun with it .... wink

yessss yes

• Thanks for the romance cover comments DD, Diomede, and Bunyip!

Stezza said:
    @unifiedbrain first look at the poster I though Jane & Tarzan... then I read the text... BTW $10AU lol

Yes, but worth the high price.  Think of that tingle you'll get when you reach page 230. smiley

Diomede said:

Diomede, a diabetes-inducing render for sure. :)  How did you stack those cookies?  It looks like a replicator.  Nice variety!