Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Wow beautiful renders from everyone, this forum is on fire!

Fran and Jay:
    thanks for more sound resources, going to come in handy for certain.
    David:
    pixlelab looks very promising as well, yet another great resource.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Some more great terrains Bruce, ganthor, electro-elvis, Guss, David & Horo. David/Horo are these mats going to be posted somewhere as a texture set(s)? I'd love to have them.

• fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

I was tinkering in the terrain editor this afternoon. The first 3 screen shots is using a texture from a pack I bought here on Daz and was designed by David Brinnen. I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with this but I'm hanging onto it for a while anyways.

screen4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 181K
    screen3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 169K
    screen2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 270K
    screen1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 205K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my abstract renders

Dave-cool render with the JD and scorpion. Love the latest Dufus render.

Fran – the underwater scene is looking nice,

David- thanks for the link for the caustic material.

Bruce – love the Castle Rock especially the background sky.

Electro-elvis-the deserted scene is very nicely done, adding the house was a good idea,

Lord Ganthor - nice scene, the foreground looks nice.

Guss-both scenes came out very nice.

Edit: see it took me so long to compose my message two others nipped in there first. Jamie, thank you and if you are using the high resolution terrain then do try out curvature filtering. It's a hand full to work with but it is interesting to see what happens once you get going. I can do a video if you or anyone else is interested.

I’m interested and I’m sure others are too. I re-watched your curvature filter videos a few times, but still don’t really understand how to use this filter. http://vimeo.com/19148208 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBINimBOOZA ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-FDvBWpec

I think it will be nice if you made a video as you suggested if you have the time.

Throwing in some of my own terrain renders done over the weekend

Both are based on David’s tutorial “How to create a high resolution Terrain, http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/high-resolution-terrains.html

The 2nd one is a mix-match of David’s tutorial as well as the “trick” Electro-elvis shared on page 21

highresterrain1.jpg
    960 x 720 - 94K
    highresterrain.jpg
    960 x 720 - 78K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@Dan, because of the way curvature works the materials are highly sensitive and closely matched to the terrains they were designed for. The terrains, the light, the materials and other useful resources are all being wrapped up together into a package which we hope to put on the DAZ store.

@Fictionalromance, if you get stuck, just try moving your camera and light sources around, that usually helps me come up with something to move forwards with.

@Mermaid010, I've been working on videos relating to the curvature topic today, but will plan out and execute and in depth video as I described very soon. Here are a few of the scenes I made during the video recordings I did today (while my car was busy passing it's MOT - good car!).

My_video_scene2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 359K
    My_video_scene1c.jpg
    850 x 850 - 305K
    My_video_scene1b.jpg
    850 x 850 - 341K
    My_video_scene1a.jpg
    850 x 850 - 252K
    My_video_scene1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 270K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

My very simple exploration of curvature.

This is the Additional Primitives NURBS cube 75% from Rashad.
    Starting off the with channel A and B in the Mat Lab coloured flat red and blue respectively. Curvature filter set up in channel C.
    When the curvature filter is having enough effect on the curves, change the colour and texture in Channels A and B to get the material you want.

So in this test, the curved edges of the block are meant to look like the gritty material has been worn away to reveal a hint of metal.

Simple and subtle but it's taken me all day to get even this small thing done... And of course it doesn't simply transfer to any other different object as the filter is very closely appropriate to the object's exact geometry.... I think. Would like to hear from David if I'm understanding this correctly though. :)

CurvatureTest2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Here are a few of the scenes I made during the video recordings I did today (while my car was busy passing it's MOT - good car!).

Absolutely gorgeous terrains David!! I wish I could come up with even just ONE really good terrain. I know, I know, practice makes perfect. :coolsmirk:
    edited December 1969

Just a variation of the previous material.

CurvatureTest3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 341K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited May 2014

Savage...very nice experiments - the last material image looks like it would be very suitable to popcorn. Would like to play around with it, but at present, too much in to a Bryce ani'.

David/Horo...phew...this terrain is ever-stupenduous...would love to 'fly' (aka: an animation) through it.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited May 2014

Thanks Jay... It's a lot of fun every now and then to just play with no real finished result in mind.

And on that note, I've been playing further with the curvature filter stuff material and to totally exaggerate the different material on the curve, I've made this one.

So this is the Additional Primitives NURBS Pyramid, Tapered Cube 70%. The rest is totally material.

CurvatureTest4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 293K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Thanks David, look forward to them.
    David - nice work on the primitives...

edited December 1969

Thanks Dan

Last one for tonight... Same material as last render, applied to boolean.

CurvatureTest5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 270K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2014

on Sale today only......... http://www.daz3d.com/pirate-s-life-sale?p=1

sale.jpg
    762 x 376 - 219K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you for the kind words. I must say what amazing terrains you create, and the two you posted are wonderful. I know David's made a video, or two, about creating terrains, but have you made any?

@Dave: I am so enjoying watching the progress of Dufus's adventures. Your latest is very cute. And your experiments with the curvature filter are a sight to see.

@David: Thanks. To me, your latest posts of Horo's terrains look like actual photo. The results are simply amazing. Thanks for the information about orientation of the curvature filter image. I didn't think to make sure it was Parametrically mapped, thanks for the heads up.

@mermaid: Thank you very much. I really like your second terrain best, not necessarily the material you chose, but the terrain itself is really nice.

@fran: I slept on what you said about uv mapping and went back and redid my boxes. I've only imported one into Bryce so far, but just that one looks much better. The dark area you illustrated is gone. It took a bit experimenting to figure out how to get the best rounded edges, beveling twice in a row, but it really makes a difference on the results.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@fictionalromance - looks promising, whatever it is going to become.

@mermaid010 - nice terrains. I like the first one more but that may be the material applied to it and the colourful bush at left.

@Dave - great experiments. The last two look as if made from wires.

@Trish - thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

@GussNemo - no, I haven't actually made a video about terrain creating as such, a couple of terrain videos I made but none particularly on generation.

edited May 2014

Thanks Guss and Horo - I still have a difficult time to match, materials and lighting.

Trish- thanks for mentioning today's special

HELP Horo, David, anyone- I have $20 prize money to my credit in the store, which of these two packs should I get, or should I wait till the new pack David mentioned, for the terrains.I really love David's terrain renders.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - which two do you mean? In general, all our products are must-haves. :coolsmile:
    Seriously, it really depends on what you're up to.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss and Horo - I still have a difficult time to match, materials and lighting.

Trish- thanks for mentioning today's special

HELP Horo, David, anyone- I have $20 prize money to my credit in the store, which of these two packs should I get, or should I wait till the new pack David mentioned, for the terrains.I really love David's terrain renders.

My advice, if it is terrain based stuff you are looking for, wait for the new one - since that incorporates our most up to date knowledge on the topic. Otherwise, my most favorite tool of all is the wide angle lens Horo came up with in the Lenses and Filters set. I find that very useful for enhancing renders.

Dave, great examples of using curvature!

Here's a short(ish) video where I've attempted to demonstrate how to use curvature with terrains.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - setting up a curvature based terrain metarial - by David Brinnen

Oh... for some reason the link to my main youtube page is broken, but hopefully a direct link will continue to work.

And some more images I made while doing yesterdays videos...

My_video_scene7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 218K
    My_video_scene6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 285K
    My_video_scene5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 363K
    My_video_scene4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 519K
    My_video_scene3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 259K
    edited May 2014

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - which two do you mean? In general, all our products are must-haves. :coolsmile:
    Seriously, it really depends on what you're up to.

Sorry, Horo I meant 2 products from the 3 that are on sale today. I know all your products are awesome, and wish I could buy most of them. :)

David- Actually I am after the wide angle lens but I still can't afford it, so I will wait a while hopefully win a few more bucks or wait for it be put on sale.

Thanks

The new landscapes are awesome

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - from what I think you're up to, David is right. Our newest landscaping product is nearly complete. It may be what you're looking for mostly.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited May 2014

@Lord Ganthor: Fantastic scene! I love everything of it.

@GussNemo: Nice attempts with curvature. Your knowledge of this filter "beast" are far better, than mine.

@Horo: Interesting comparison between the same terrain. Impressive mountain landscape, too.

@mermaid010: Lovely landsape. I like the sky of your first one. Maybe the tree is a bit too large?

@Dave: I envy your skills with the curvature filter. Your materials look gorgeous. I especially love the last one. It reminds of stitched leather.

@bullit35744: Thanks for the information

@David: Marvellous landscapes and textures as usual.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: More very well done scenes. And a very informative video, but one question. Is this Curvature Filtering fix for terrains video on Bryce Tutorials just another method of using the Curvature filter you show in your most recent curvature filter video? What you show in your recent curvature filter video isn't as involved as in the Curvature Filtering fix for terrains video, so is one method a better choice over the other?

@electro: Thank you very much. I'd like to say I have the curvature filter beast by the tail, but I still have to go back and watch David's videos several times because I find even though I take notes, I'll leave off this or that step. Maybe one day all this information will stick to the old gray cells as mud does on a wall.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: More very well done scenes. And a very informative video, but one question. Is this Curvature Filtering fix for terrains video on Bryce Tutorials just another method of using the Curvature filter you show in your most recent curvature filter video? What you show in your recent curvature filter video isn't as involved as in the Curvature Filtering fix for terrains video, so is one method a better choice over the other?

It all depends on the resolution of your terrain. If you have a high enough resolution you can use curvature filtering directly in the material, if the resolution is not very high or you want to use curvature on a lower resolution terrain - but capture it on a higher resolution one first - then the previous method would probably be more suitable.

edited December 1969

Electro-elvis- thanks for the suggestion.

edited December 1969

Dave, great examples of using curvature!
    Thanks, I think I've got my head around using it on primitives now and of course every time I delve into the DTE, I learn about how that works too so it's all good.

Here's a short(ish) video where I've attempted to demonstrate how to use curvature with terrains.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - setting up a curvature based terrain metarial - by David Brinnen

Here's the result of my following your tutorial (with a few additional bits because my terrain probably isn't really high enough resolution to utilise curvature to it's full extent) and the first go at adding curvature to a terrain... But again, an interesting day learning so thanks again.

CurvatureTest8.jpg
    650 x 650 - 308K
    edited December 1969

Dave-lovely terrain. Did you use the planetary or gigantic resolution?

Another Abstract, same setting as the ones posted on page 23, I only changed the camera position.

torispheresmetalabstract.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Dave-lovely terrain. Did you use the planetary or gigantic resolution?
    Thanks, It's generated in the terrain editor at gigantic and then when all the set up was done, I changed it up to planetary.

Another Abstract, same setting as the ones posted on page 23, I only changed the camera position.

That looks great... Love the colours.
    edited December 1969

@Dave - that terrain came out very nice.

@mermaid010 - beautiful abstract.

I had a bit of spare time to play with one of scenes David and I am working on. I flipped the terrain upside down and that's how it looks.

OnTheLedge.jpg
    800 x 445 - 87K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited December 1969

Oh my, everybody suddenly doing amazing terrains!
    Specifically David B, Horo and TheSavage, but I have seen very good ones from other too.

Let me throw in a WIP. I like the terrain already (although I may want to modify the texture), but the flying saucer is to be replaced by a native animal to this world, that I try to make in Hexagon. And afterwards: try to rig in DAZ Studio (a hell of a job, I think).

The terrain is actually a number of terrains, partially turned sideways to get the rubble heaps.
    The flying saucer is actually part of my render of a drop that I submitted for the 'water' theme contest. Of course, I gave it a new texture.

Hope you enjoy!

mudworld1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 855K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Hi folks;

First off, some really fantastic renders coming from everyone. I am blown away especially by David's and Horo's landscapes and will have to check out some new tutorial videos of David's. But to everyone - Beautiful work and it is so much fun to come here and see what everyone has been putting their creative talents into.

I have a new render to present here I call "The Path of Life" ( Not sure why, but this title just popped into my head while working on this)

I did want to mention that there is a story behind this render and it goes back about 40 years now. Back in the day of my freelance photo work I used to do lots of newspaper photography for a small local paper. Almost nightly the people who ran the paper as well as myself and a few colorful local characters had a ritual from around 10PM to midnight where we gathered to just shoot the breeze at a local 24 hour café / coffee shop. In those days we didn't have the computers to create our flights of fancy, but I was still into playing around with my imagination in creating scenes with film cameras. This involved either darkroom manipulation, a mattebox or tabletop photography and resulted in dinosaurs walking down the local highway, creatures on other worlds, or UFO's over main street ( UFO over main street used in the paper as part of a tongue in cheek article over an upcoming city celebration )

One evening during our nightly coffee gatherings, an acquaintance from the newspaper came up with the idea for an image that he wanted to have as a poster for home and proceeded to draw a quick sketch of it on a napkin. He then asked if I could create an image along the lines of his sketch, so I accepted the challenge and soon after created the scene in miniature on a table top which was later blown up into 2 posters. One of the posters given to my friend who came up with the concept and the other to this day is hanging on the wall of my younger brothers house.

So this past week, I decided to attempt a George Lucas ;-) redo of this original concept but used Bryce to create it. Granted, I took some liberties and changed a few things such as the original had pyramids instead of pillars and the terrain is now grassy where it was gold in the original, etc. But all told, I was fairly happy with the final results. ( Now I only wish my friend had told me years ago what the scene means? - Never did quite figure that out, but I decided to interpret it as a pathway through life - Do we walk through the light, or do we walk into the shadows??? ) Would love to hear anyone else's idea of what this image means...

Minor post work done in PSP 9.

Have a great upcoming weekend everyone and keep on creating!

Bruce

EDITED: PS - The pillars made from primitives in Bryce, the "Road" as such are Belden pavers ( Belden has 2 awesome free programs for doing brick work and pavers ) Primarily created with building designers in mind, these programs are available to anyone for use in art, etc. The people are just imports from prior projects that I have saved as presets.

LINKS TO SOFTWARE: http://www.beldenbrick.com/MasonryDesigner.asp
    http://www.beldenbrick.com/PaverDesigner.asp

The_Path_Of_Life_JF.jpg
    1242 x 1552 - 677K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
This discussion has been closed.