Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Could be Bodmin Moor... or Kinder Scout even.

Bodmin.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 288K
    edited December 1969

So, tonight's project was fun.
    In another thread, a question was asked about turning .lwo models into .obj models.
    I found this online resource that does just that: http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/
    In fact it turns many different formats into .obj as well as making other common conversions and it's free and dead easy to use.

But having tested it with a simple free model of a Coke can, I was inspired to try and make the can look fresh out of the fridge with condensation drops on it. So I set about trying various material based solutions. Eventually I arrived at this which I think is looking fairly good though with some tweaks to the lighting the specular highlight on the drops could be improved.

CokeCanWet.jpg
    422 x 650 - 145K
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

So, tonight's project was fun.
    In another thread, a question was asked about turning .lwo models into .obj models.
    I found this online resource that does just that: http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/
    In fact it turns many different formats into .obj as well as making other common conversions and it's free and dead easy to use.

But having tested it with a simple free model of a Coke can, I was inspired to try and make the can look fresh out of the fridge with condensation drops on it. So I set about trying various material based solutions. Eventually I arrived at this which I think is looking fairly good though with some tweaks to the lighting the specular highlight on the drops could be improved.

That looks realistic.

Here is a render I've been working on for a while. It's not perfect but I like it.

Cajun_Moon.png
    640 x 480 - 465K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@cjreynolds - great to see you back.

@hansmar - your experiment with the trees looks cool.

@Dan - two really great scenes.

@electro-elvis - terrain turned out fine.

@fictionalromance - very nice renders.

@Dave - Bodmin Moor, could be, was there wandering around a bit a few years back when I visited Dartmoor and Exmoor. Coke can looks cold with the dropplets.

edited December 1969

This is a work in progress rendered with the default sky but with fog and haze disabled. Now that I got the hard part done. I'm off to tweek the sky and lighting.

River.jpg
    640 x 480 - 262K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@fictionairomance: You're turning out some very nice scenes. Of the first three terrains, I can't decide between 1 or 3.

@Pam: Really nice scene, mountains in the background are also nice for that image.

@David: Great results. One of those terrains look like mountains in South America.

@Horo: Even if you don't think that terrain is breathtaking, it's a might fine scene. Some of us should be so lucky to achieve your results.

@hansmar: Thank you. I used a higher freq. on the counter top material to spread out the original material pattern. The original pattern is too large for that type of top.

@Dan: First scene is very colorful and nice looking. Second one is also very nice.

@electro: That's a real interesting terrain, it looks like a very desolate place.

@Dave: Nice terrain, and coke can. Condensation looks good.

I saw all the terrains being created and decided to give them another try. David's way, my first try at the resolution. This one isn't finished, I've another video to watch, probably several times. Critical comments are gladly welcomed.

Mountain_Snow_6.png
    1514 x 568 - 1M
    edited May 2014

Thank you GussNemo.

here is my final draft of the wip in my previous post.

River_Big.jpg
    960 x 720 - 638K
    Post edited by fictionalbookshelf on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2014

Well thank you for all the kind comments about the landscapes.

Welcome back Cjreynolds!

Dan, I particularly like the science fictiony style complex on the hill! Reminds me of the covers of all the old SF books I read. Excellent.

Electro-elvis, the terrain looks good, but I don't see any evidence that the curvature filter is switched on. Sorry if you already know this, but to get much of anything happening with curvature you not only need to add a control in the DTE, either a colour mix, a blend or a filter. But also, you will need to check curvature filtering in the material options and probably at least the three other controls directly beneath that one. Oh and for a terrain or mesh, it will need to be set to "smooth" otherwise you will only get hints of noise along the edges connecting the vertexes.

Dave, never been to Dodmin moors, looks a bit like the Peak District and North Yorkshire Moors. Interesting composition, I was going to say that the stone balancing looked a bit unlikely but having just checked google images... I won't say that now.

fictionalromance, this last scene shows a lot of potential, I look forwards to seeing what you can do with the sky and the light.

Edit: see it took me so long to compose my message two others nipped in there first. Jamie, thank you and if you are using the high resolution terrain then do try out curvature filtering. It's a hand full to work with but it is interesting to see what happens once you get going. I can do a video if you or anyone else is interested.

Edit also: fictionalromance, looking better, you might consider a bringing in a bit of haze just a little to "push" back the middle of the scene and give the viewer a sense of space. Also lowering the position of the camera to "eye level" is an easy way to give a better sense of scale. As things stand you perspective is saying, the viewer is either stood on a rock or a giant - or along with the lack of haze, that the scene is a model we are looking at.

Here's a few more landscapes from Horo and myself.

P56_example_scene8b.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 427K
    RockyDesert_D_p1.jpg
    900 x 600 - 327K
    River_D_p1.jpg
    900 x 600 - 279K
    P56_example_scene9d.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 511K
    P56_example_scene10f.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 633K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Welcome back Cjreynolds!

Dan, I particularly like the science fictiony style complex on the hill! Reminds me of the covers of all the old SF books I read. Excellent.

Electro-elvis, the terrain looks good, but I don't see any evidence that the curvature filter is switched on. Sorry if you already know this, but to get much of anything happening with curvature you not only need to add a control in the DTE, either a colour mix, a blend or a filter. But also, you will need to check curvature filtering in the material options and probably at least the three other controls directly beneath that one. Oh and for a terrain or mesh, it will need to be set to "smooth" otherwise you will only get hints of noise along the edges connecting the vertexes.

Dave, never been to Dodmin moors, looks a bit like the Peak District and North Yorkshire Moors. Interesting composition, I was going to say that the stone balancing looked a bit unlikely but having just checked google images... I won't say that now.

fictionalromance, this last scene shows a lot of potential, I look forwards to seeing what you can do with the sky and the light.

I love the last one your posted. There is just something about that picture that lures me in.

edited May 2014

Welcome back Cjreynolds!

I love the last one your posted. There is just something about that picture that lures me in.

Thank you, you are posting faster than I can reply this morning! Just to say, I've edited my last post to include comments on the previous image you posted while I was posting my last post, to offer some words of advice which I hope both a) make sense and b) are welcome. If not, please feel free to ignore them.

Edit: Oh you didn't ask, but you did mention feeling "lured in". The terrains and the clouds, if you draw a ling across the top of them are acting as "arrows" to point your vision into the middle of the image - it is a compositional trick. Like pointing your camera down a rail track. Your vision is drawn along with the perspective. Try to avoid situations where things point out of your image, unless you want to make the viewer feel uncomfortable (The Army Needs You! - picture) for example. If you want someone to become absorbed in your image you should try to hold their focus by guiding their gaze into your scene. Tricks of perspective and a feeling of space help a great deal and can easily be "borrowed" off other artists compositions.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Beautiful breaking-taking landscapes from everyone, David, Horo, Pam, Electro-elvis, Fictionairomance, and Guss.

I'm working thru David’s “How to create a hight resolution Terrain, http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/high-resolution-terrains.html nothing worth posting yet. :(

Hansmar – the render is nice, I especially like the trees, they will make a good close up for a forest scene.

Dan- love both your scenes.

In the meantime another Abstract, I find them easier and more fun to do. Experimenting with the camera again, the first abstract is from the camera view and the second director’s view.

abstractmulti-director.jpg
    850 x 850 - 51K
    abstractmulti-camera.jpg
    850 x 850 - 53K
    edited December 1969

More great landscapes and materials from you David... never get fed up of looking at the variation you manage to achieve.

Guss: Looking good but if it were my render, I'd be looking at increasing the frequency of the bump on the frozen (?) lake. The ripples look a bit big to my eye.

Fictional Romance: Like David, I'd suggest adding some haze to give the scene depth. I might also try reducing the bump (ripple) on the water to get some better reflections. If you do as David says and lower the camera angle, the reflections will also look better with a reduced bump. Composition of the scene looks nice and the trees fit it to your landscape perfect.

Mermaid: Great abstracts and I like your choice of colour. The First one is the best in my opinion as it offers nicer shapes and a feeling of depth with it having a distinct foreground.

Here's one of mine for today: After doing the Coke can, I got the model of the JD whiskey out and tweaked some of the materials on it.
    I tried adding the neck label after I'd done this render and also adjusted the side label so it fitted better... Just as it was starting to look good, Bryce crashed and that version lost... Oh well. :)

Whiskey.jpg
    633 x 975 - 315K
    edited December 1969

@fictionairomance: Nice looking final results. Has a painting quality to it.

@David: Your latest are so life like, or I guess I should say photo like. Lovely results. Thank you, and yes, I'm trying a high res. terrain, something I've never done, or maybe I have and just forgot. I do remember Bryce becoming rather slow once upon a time, so maybe I've done one. Anyhow, after watching your work around to the sluggishness I decided to try it. And yes, I plan on using the curvature filter, but I've got to watch your video again, and maybe again, and maybe again, before I give it a try.

@mermaid: Like your abstract results. Hard to tell which I like best.

@Dave: After tasting JD I understand why the scorpion is setting next to that bottle. Nice results. After doing a few assorted beverage bottles for my last scene, I'd like to pick your brain sometime in getting the liquid to look like liquid.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

Here's one of mine for today: After doing the Coke can, I got the model of the JD whiskey out and tweaked some of the materials on it.
    I tried adding the neck label after I'd done this render and also adjusted the side label so it fitted better... Just as it was starting to look good, Bryce crashed and that version lost... Oh well. :)

Ahh... One of my favorite beverages and one of my least favorite creatures - been stung by both of them :coolsmirk:

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

@ Dana and Jay,

On adding sound to animations, it's great if you can do your own, but you might want to think about some of the places where you can get free sounds for instance www.freesound.org is a great place for lots of free sounds of a vast variety. There's quite a collection of various types of water sound, I have been able to make my own drips, and tap running sounds, but things like waterfalls are only possible if you live near a waterfall yourself. www.freesound.org has these available. You can also upload your own sounds to www.freesound.org so that others can benefit. And they are free.
    I think there are other places as well, in fact I'm sure there are, as I've searched for these before, but some say they are free and turn out not to be, and some have free and not free on the same site making it hard to determine which is which.
    That's why I've used www.freesound.org so much, they make it very easy.

If you can make your own then that's entirely up to you but I just thought you'd like to know.

@Dave,
    I think an arrow spike on Dufus's tail is a good idea, ditto the emerging horns. You'll have to try out the stripes and see what you think, I did think when I first saw him but he looked a bit too shiny, but in the image with the egg goo that worked, later images had no reason for him to look wet, so he just looked a bit plastic, just something to be aware of. And only my opinion anyway.

@David,
    I haven't looked at your UV mapping videos yet, but I did look at your one about using caustics underwater, I really like that caustics image you used and I wondered how one could make that without having Genetica pro? I can make the ordinary caustics with the free caustics generator, but your caustic that you made with Genetica looked really much better, I wondered if there was a way to make it without having Genetica??
    Pretty please?

@ fictionalromance,
    Interesting lumps and bumps you have there. It would be nice if you could just paint a path the way you painted those lumps wouldn't it? I'm sure there must be a way. Let us know if you figure it out.

@ TLBKlaus,
    Nice images, not sure which you mean by multi-verse, or BG star, but I like the image with the chessboard best. I like the way the chessboard sort of melts into the background.

@Gus Nemo,
    You've got an awful lot of stuff in that scene, wow! Looks to me as if the boxes don't have any hard edges, because on the bottom of each box it looks as if they're in deep shadow compared to the rest of the box, one other thing that's disturbing me about this is the angle of the camera, it looks as if we're looking straight at the scene but the open cupboard door is looking really odd so you might want to play about with some different camera angles.
    It's just bothering me, but maybe that's just me. I quite like the marble on the counter top. And I love that dreamcatcher, above the cupboards.

@ fictionalromance,
    That's a nice selection of plants you've got there, I wish you could get a similar selection for use with underwater scenes but it's very difficult to find them.
    The shadows on the terrain look a great deal too light compared with the shadows on the leaves themselves. But well done for getting them all into Bryce in one movement. That's another reason I don't use Daz very much, I find that sort of thing difficult.

@Dave,
    Nice dandelions and daisies, and your shadows are looking pretty good too making Dufus look as if he really is in the scene. No stripes yet?

@ fictionalromance,
    Those violets and lilacs are my kind of colours, but the resultant image is a little lurid looking for my tastes – I prefer the filter Forge image a little. Mind you, if it's an alien world you wouldn't expect Earth-like colours.

@ David.
    I like these new renders of yours, especially the ones with the muddy water. I've no idea what you mean by this 'curvature' thing but then there's something you say when you talk about glass, and I don't understand that either! Grazing angles? Zooop! Straight over my head!

@Dan,
    Love what you did with those sci-fi freebies. Great sky!

@Dave,
    Wow nice condensation!

@Mermaid,
    Dunno what those shapes are but I like 'em!

I've been talking too long as usual, so I might have skipped a few comments near the end but there's so much to see in this thread!
    I've been playing with underwater effects since talking to Dana about that, and I've been making a few models since there are so few freebies for underwater use around, I've been making tube worms at the moment.
    But only managed to get three into a render before I got an out of memory error for Bryce. This is silly since this scene is much smaller than a much bigger one that gave me no errors at all. I've no idea why my PC is playing up like this. It finally let me add more tubeworms after closing and reopening Bryce, so here's the render so far.

TurtlesUndersea7.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 169K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited May 2014

Cheers, Franontheedge...didn’t know about that ‘sound’ resource, so have added (will undoubtedly use) it to my Favs.

You probably have the following free sound links, too, however, just in case, they are Incompetech and SoundBible - there are probably more, no doubt.

While, normally, I would have done ani’s., in the past without sound, these days, however, I have included such - anyone producing ani’s. will surely know the addition of sounds is essential, me thinks.

Jay
    PS. Currently stuck in a long ani., but 'lurking', as always, in the Bryce Forum. Super works, however, by Mermaid, Fictionalromance, CjRenolds, Savage, David, Guss...ah stop, where do I begin to finish ;)

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@David,
    I haven't looked at your UV mapping videos yet, but I did look at your one about using caustics underwater, I really like that caustics image you used and I wondered how one could make that without having Genetica pro? I can make the ordinary caustics with the free caustics generator, but your caustic that you made with Genetica looked really much better, I wondered if there was a way to make it without having Genetica??
    Pretty please?

Try this one? Looks about the rigth thing. http://www.thepixellab.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Free-C4D-Texture-Water-Reflection-Caustics.jpg

edited May 2014

@fictionalromance - nice scene. Changing the sky and the brightness of the sun improved it much.

@GussNemo - that terrain looks really nice.

@mermaid010 - beautiful abstract, the first one. The second reminds me of a bee because of the form.

@Dave - whiskey and scorpion look great.

@franontheedge - nice underwater scene. A bit of caustics could help. though. There are a couple that came with Bryce 7.1 Pro: Clays Caustics. I have an older version of Caustic Generator, the new version isn't free anymore but at € 35 not extremely expensive.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge: None of the boxes in that scene have sharp edges because the boxes themselves didn't have sharp edges. Beveling the edges made mapping a bit more work, but at the viewing distance, they will work. I would like to have better images to work with, but that's the best my HP printer scanner can do so I work with it. As to the shadow, it really shouldn't be as dark as it is in that scene. It's something I'll try and remedy when I try different camera angles and lighting. Like the results of your underwater scene.

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Hi folks;

Have been enjoying all the latest renders here - Some great work by the way. Between still working on software issues, a flooding basement with all the snowmelt, etc. I haven't had much time to play with Bryce, but did manage to put together this new image the other night.

I have to credit edifex for the idea behind this image as he was asking about a flat topped mountain and putting a castle on top in another thread, so I decided to play around with the following. " Castle Rock" The mountain Island is actually just one topo terrain created in PSP 9 and then transferred to 3 individual terrains in the Bryce terrain lab where I did some minor tweaking to each and then joined them together to appear as one terrain.

I did run into a few minor glitches I was not totally happy with, but this was a long render, so I am presenting it as is. The light on the water near the island and boat comes from an opening in the side of the mountain base created with a negative cube and a light source placed inside. It was supposed to be an entry into the mountain and up to the castle, but it is barely visible, so my alignment or light source just is a bit out of whack. Also I replaced the sky with a digital image of some clouds placed on a 2 D square and was not totally happy with that as it is from older digital images I took with lower resolutions and seems a bit grainy in the final render. ( I now shoot all my background scenes for my 3D work in much higher resolutions than I did a few years back - But used the image I did as I liked the overall look of the clouds )

The castle model and Viking ship were both DAZ models that I exported as object files from DAZ Studio and imported into Bryce ( I don't use the bridge as a rule as I have had too many issues with it, so I find just exporting and then importing a lot more dependable for my purposes. )

Best Wishes to everyone for a great weekend and to all the moms out there have a happy Mothers Day!

Bruce

IMAGE: "Castle Rock" - Again, thanks to edifex for the inspiration to create this.

Castle_Rock2.jpg
    1514 x 1009 - 375K
    Post edited by Goshtac on
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Cheers, Franontheedge...didn’t know about that ‘sound’ resource, so have added (will undoubtedly use) it to my Favs.

You probably have the following free sound links, too, however, just in case, they are Incompetech and SoundBible - there are probably more, no doubt.

While, normally, I would have done ani’s., in the past without sound, these days, however, I have included such - anyone producing ani’s. will surely know the addition of sounds is essential, me thinks.

Jay
    PS. Currently stuck in a long ani., but 'lurking', as always, in the Bryce Forum. Super works, however, by Mermaid, Fictionalromance, CjRenolds, Savage, David, Guss...ah stop, where do I begin to finish ;)

I've used Kevin McLeod's music before, it's great - such a range and all free with acreditation, but I haven't come across SoundBible before, so thanks for that.

You're right about the use of sounds with an animation - the simplest sequence can be vastly enhanced with the simplest of sounds effects.

@David, thanks for the link to the caustic, not quite as varied as the Genetica one – but nice all the same, and I'm sure very useful, I must try a test with it when I've finished with the current project... I wonder if one could create a caustic from scratch using PhotoShop??? Anyway... enough of that, I have a challenge for you – or at the least it's a request:
    I want to make a Brain coral model in Wings3d, I've got this far:

Pic 1

But I'm sure you have an easier way – and a more accurate one too, I'm thinking of your earlier cube modeling videos with all the complex convolutions that you made simpler with a few simple steps.

Here's a reference pic of what I want to achieve: http://orphek.com/led/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/visit-6.jpg
    You can see that some means of selecting the subsurface to texture that differently to the upper ridges is necessary, and with the model I have so far I can't see how to do that without laborious face by face selection...
    Plus mine looks more like a death star prototype than brain coral, much too angular – help?

@Horo,
    Actually – if you look at the previous underwater image I posted, there are already caustics in there, but just for you I've brightened them up.

I can see that they could do with improvement, certainly. I want to try Rashad's method of speading the caustic to infinity, which David also mentioned in his caustics video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRYj282QUqA I say Rashad's method, but that's just because I saw Rashad talk about it first, not for any other reason.

@GussNemo,
    If you've already beveled the edges of the boxes, it could be that the bevelling edges are just not close enough to the original edges to stop these shadowing artefacts. It can be a pain adding them closer to the box edge once you've already UVMapped, but there are 2 ways to do that without distorting the texture. One is to just move the bevelling edge closer and re UVMap afterwards, the other is to add more and more edge loops closer and closer to the 1st edge, and then delete the ones you don't need – texture remains unstretched.

In case anyone wonders what we are talking about, here are 3 tall boxes,

Pic 2

the center box has no edge hardness added in Wings3d, the right hand one does, and the left hand one has bevelled edges – that is, edge loops added very close to the outer edges of the box.
    I have used various lighting methods but haven’t changed the camera angle at all, I've used the Bryce sun, IBL, my own light dome with 64 lights, one of the new Bryce Square Light Domes, IBL and LightDome, and as you can see, the one in the middle always has these odd shadow artefacts. I think Poser called it the sharpness angle? Softness angle? Something like that, and you have to set it to at least 30%... or is it 80%? I don’t use Poser much... can you tell? Lol!

@GoshTac,
    Oooh I love the green light in that image, creepy!

Here's the underwater image with the caustics brightened up:

Pic 3

However I don't really like the patterning it's causing on the ruined tower, and I'd like the pattern on the seafloor to be smaller, it's too spread out right now, I've been trying the method of raising the parallel light and then brightening the light, but I can't seem to get it right.... I'll keep working on it though.

TurtlesUndersea8.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 204K
    BoxesHardnessTest6.jpg
    701 x 813 - 76K
    DeathStarBrainCoral.jpg
    684 x 654 - 238K
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 1969

Plus mine looks more like a death star prototype than brain coral, much too angular – help?

That is made with Wings3D, isn't it? I just thought you could use a Geodome instead of a sphere. But probably still too regular.

That is a great underwater scene. Well done and nice colored.

I have tried create a deserted place but with a bit of sunshine. Look for a little house.

BeyondTheArcticCircle.jpg
    1400 x 730 - 224K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

All this talk about landscapes and flat-topped mountains gave me a little inspirational push, something that's been in short supply with me here of late. I blame the 60 hour work weeks. Probably could have done without the figures, but, as always, I had this weird compulsion to try and tell a little bit of a story somehow. Outstanding work from everyone here. I've enjoyed all of it and have learned much from all the little tidbits gleaned from everybody's comments.

Landscape_Cave_Kids_001.jpg
    858 x 575 - 321K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much.

@Bruce: That's a neat scene. Must be a heck of a place during a storm.

@franontheedge: Thanks for the information. I'll have to sleep on it in order to fully understand it. Underwater scene is looking real good.

@electro: Nice scene. Had to view the larger version of that scene to see the house.

@Lord Ganthor: Love that scene. Real nice use of DOF.

It took several rewinds of David's Curvature Filter video, but I finally got one made. It also took a bit of pounding my head on the wall to get the information situated. :lol:

I added the filter to the original scene, then moved the camera and rendered another version. Also, I wasn't entirely happy with the material I used for the ice so I changed it and am now happier with that choice. David, you never mentioned in the video whether or not if the orientation of the terrain during the filter render has to match the orientation of the terrain in the scene. That provided a puzzle for me when I was creating the filter, but I opted for alignment as a just in case.

Mountain_Snow_9.png
    1514 x 568 - 1M
    Mountain_Snow_8.png
    1514 x 568 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - Castle Rock looks great. Yes, backdrop is a bit pixelised, jpg-issue.

@franontheedge - seafloor looks nice.

@electro-elvis - nice render. The house gives us the reference to the size of the mountains.

@Lord Ganthor - nice scene. Foreground looks great.

@GussNemo - nice mountains.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

All this talk about landscapes and flat-topped mountains gave me a little inspirational push, something that's been in short supply with me here of late. I blame the 60 hour work weeks. Probably could have done without the figures, but, as always, I had this weird compulsion to try and tell a little bit of a story somehow. Outstanding work from everyone here. I've enjoyed all of it and have learned much from all the little tidbits gleaned from everybody's comments.

Nice one, and great to see you around again. I know them 60 hour weeks, glad I got rid of them once I retired.

edited December 1969

Dufus sitting on the gwass and doing some amateur astwonomy.

DufusStarGazerALT.jpg
    519 x 800 - 240K
    edited December 1969

@David, thanks for the link to the caustic, not quite as varied as the Genetica one – but nice all the same, and I'm sure very useful, I must try a test with it when I've finished with the current project... I wonder if one could create a caustic from scratch using PhotoShop??? Anyway... enough of that, I have a challenge for you – or at the least it's a request:
    I want to make a Brain coral model in Wings3d, I've got this far:

Pic 1

But I'm sure you have an easier way – and a more accurate one too, I'm thinking of your earlier cube modeling videos with all the complex convolutions that you made simpler with a few simple steps.

Here's a reference pic of what I want to achieve: http://orphek.com/led/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/visit-6.jpg
    You can see that some means of selecting the subsurface to texture that differently to the upper ridges is necessary, and with the model I have so far I can't see how to do that without laborious face by face selection...

Is there a way to make caustics using PhotoShop? I can't answer. I'm only a very basic sort of paint package user and besides, I don't have photoshop. Photo's generally create the best effects I find, and there are some very simple tiling filters in most paint packages that would allow you to make the texture repeat. PSP8 which does a blend edges thing, which can be mixed up to hide the repetition.

Brain coral in Wings 3D? Well I tried without much success. Looked briefly at Meshlab and recoiled at the potential for losing days in adventure and fell back on a Brycey solution. So how about doing it in the material? If you want I can post you the mat. Just email me and I will return post it. www. [email protected]

Or... get your image of the brain coral and steal it's skin and UV map it onto your model? Though that's the lazy way I know!

@Jamie - once you've captured your image, you should be free to move and rotate the terrain as you like, you can test it easy enough by moving and rotating your terrain with your image applied. So long as you are parametric mapping, the image should move and rotate and scale accordingly with the object. And it looks good!

Some great scenes on show, Dave's dragon as cute as ever, however Lord Granthors scene has stolen the show!

And some more of Horo's terrains, just a random selection.

P56_example_scene2a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 744K
    P56_example_scene10a.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 647K
    P56_example_scene8e.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 521K
    P56_example_scene5c.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 658K
    edited December 1969

@Dave - Dufus as backyard astwonomew is cute.

@David - great examples.

Never underestimate the power of materials and lighting. Same hi-res terrain, same camera position, different material and light.

RDC.jpg
    900 x 600 - 154K
    RDI.jpg
    900 x 600 - 116K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited May 2014

@David:
    Man, I'm loving your experiments with Horo's terrains! The second one reminds me of the terraced landscape around Machu Picchu, and the third reminds me of Yosemite Valley - truly awesome landscapes you're doing lately!

@Horo:
    Dramatically different appearance in those two renders!

Post edited by cjreynolds on
This discussion has been closed.