Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 4

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

MelanieL, those renders are gorgeous. I don't have the dress, but I do have both hair products. I've concluded that if it says "3Dream/Mairy" it will be great. I especially like that they include poses for the hair to make it quick and easy to change the style without fiddling with each individual morph, wondering what it will do.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,136
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Novica and barbult.
    And yes, I'm rapidly forming the same impression as you, barbult - I wish I'd been able to cram a few more 3Dream/Mairy's into my cart yesterday. Maybe they'll turn up in a catchup again... :coolsmirk:

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

@ Melanie: Nice work on those renders. I think the promo art on 3Dream/Mairy is why I usually pass the products up. They have a dated feel. But the hair looks great! I like the use of those backgrounds as well.

@Novica: Nice tail on that dragon.

@Trish. I have decided to hold on picking the Asgardian outfit. I need a closer look at those odd straps on the chest. May pick up tomorrow if there is another male product being sold that I have to have. I like the boots on that outfit though.

@John: My feeling is the dragon looks quite fantasy. Sort of a dragon-golem. Sort of like your proverbial D&D metal golems.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I discovered Mairy when I saw so many of her hair products used on another site (the "R" site.) I scooped up one in particular, if I get a chance I'll render it for you. :)

Coalition Katana ( Mighty_mestophales / Sequestrian)
    http://www.daz3d.com/coalition-katana

Here's the Coalition Katana (M4) hitching a ride on the Mestophales Mech Dragon. It's fairly easy to place him on the upraised leg. I posted the one where the dragon is solidly behind him to show that it really is necessary to put your figures at a 1/2 to 3/4 turn so the background showcases them. Otherwise, the Mech Dragon is so detailed, your figure will blend in. Particularly if it is a slatted armor. The Dragon just has too much detail.

dragonCoalitionKatana3.jpg
    1900 x 2000 - 2M
    dragonCoalitionKatana2.jpg
    1900 x 2000 - 741K
    dragonCoalitionKatana.jpg
    1900 x 2000 - 905K
    edited April 2014

Anemone Hair (Mairy / 3Dream)
    Anabelle (Silver)
    V4 Elite Texture: Natasha (DAZ 3D / Yannek)

http://www.daz3d.com/anemone-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/anabelle
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-elitetexture-natasha

Anemone Hair is my favorite hair from Mairy. You click, there ya go. So many different styles and NO morph sliders necessary. Bangs in the face, off to the right or left, longer, etc. The gleam in the hair is so pretty, and there are many colors from which to choose.

In the last two images, the darker skin texture is the Elite Natasha. I can't remember which Elite texture I used for the first three.

anabelleWElite4Natasha2.jpg
    992 x 1000 - 399K
    anabelleWElite4Natasha.jpg
    836 x 993 - 453K
    anabelleWElite3.jpg
    817 x 944 - 422K
    anabelleWElite2.jpg
    992 x 1000 - 457K
    anabelleWEliteAnemoneB25Casual.jpg
    992 x 1000 - 434K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all our Invited Guest Contributors who won over in the RRRR contest! You can see their work here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/39504/

BEST
    #1 Luci45#5: A Night in Barbult’s Life - Preparing for Muck’s Return
    #2 barbult #2: The Best Day in Ken OBanion’s Life
    #3 scott-livingston#03: A Day in the Life of Totte

FUNNIEST OR MUST AMUSING
    Totte#4: One day in KenOBanions life
    MelanieL#3: Captain Totte Proudly Presents His Cadet Unit
    barbult #2: The Best Day in Ken OBanion’s Life

For the next RRRR challenge of rejected sports, yes, I AM participating and dealing with a carnival and temple combination. Already got it underway and it's quite funny. Once again, is going to take a long time to do I think (like the jet ski / octopus combination in SeaNautica) I'm just pokey. Hopefully I'll get ONE done. :)

If you haven't participated in an RRRR, the rules change but this month you draw 4 products and combine them (and use other products) to meet the requirements. This month is whacky/rejected sports. (Like car table tennis, where people sit in cars while hitting the ball!) Check it out and join the fun!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,136
    edited December 1969

@Novica - I like the look of that Anemone Hair too - I'll have to add that to the maybes list too. I hadn't noticed the RRRR results were out till I saw your last post here - I'm amazed (and obviously delighted) to be in that list this time round: a first for me in RRRR :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited April 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

"Mission's End"

Products Used:
    Mars Explorers for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    http://www.daz3d.com/mars-explorers-for-genesis-2-male-s
    Michael 6 (Bjorn textures) with a little Freak 5 shape dialed in
    http://www.daz3d.com/generation-5-legacy-shapes-for-genesis-2-male
    Advanced Light Presets for AoA's Lights

http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-light-presets-for-aoa-s-lights

Also used:
    Background photo by NASA, used in compliance with their Terms of Usage.

John

Missions_End.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 367K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    @Novica - I like the look of that Anemone Hair too - I'll have to add that to the maybes list too. I hadn't noticed the RRRR results were out till I saw your last post here - I'm amazed (and obviously delighted) to be in that list this time round: a first for me in RRRR :)

Personally I think you should have been in it before now :)
    Since starting into the products I drew, I realized I have not one, not two, but THREE sets to merge. A carnival, a Mayan temple, and a SciFi futuristic bar. The sport is making me giggle, but heavens, trying to get a decent amount of the sets in there without overcrowding is quite a challenge. I need to leave some room for the characters!

tjohn- that really does give the feel of weightless- the look on his face nicely conveys the sense of wonder.

edited April 2014

I like Anemone hair. I really like the way the hair sits, and the individual threads do not have the clumpy chunky look that so much hair does for some reason.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I didn't render any of the windblown examples, but it's also a good hair for that. And I love that you just click it and done! Probably could use for underwater scenes too.

Yep, love the lack of chunky. It really flows. I saw it on a figure on Renderosity and had to have it! :)

edited December 1969

I'm really having fun with the new Glittering Shaders. They are still punch worthy today, so you might want to consider them. Shall I post renders? (I'm not an IGC, so I don't want to intrude.)

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I'm really having fun with the new Glittering Shaders. They are still punch worthy today, so you might want to consider them. Shall I post renders? (I'm not an IGC, so I don't want to intrude.)

You have an open invitation, I know and love your work. :) So anytime! Would love to see them, and anything else you want to share.

edited December 1969

@Barbult I'd love to see 'em Barbult. I bought them, but haven't rendered them yet.

@Novica: did you ever get to the bottom of those weird stripes you got on your render with Boudoir lights? I remember your render, but don't recall if you ever came up with a fix.

edited December 1969

I'm enjoying Maxim. Great skin, nice warm tone, easy to light. I like the fact he comes with an older skin option and lovely blue eyes.

Also testing out Actual eyes. Interesting product.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    barbult said:

X Skirt[ for Genesis 2 Females/url]

You have an open invitation, I know and love your work. :) So anytime! Would love to see them, and anything else you want to share.

Glittering Shaders
    Jewell Hair
    X Skirt for Genesis 2 Females

The first two images are the Persian outfit that comes free with DAZ 3d 4.6 in the Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials. I applied various presets from the Glittering Shaders product to the outfit and the Jewell Hair. When I want to retain the original texture of an item (the patterned top and the Jewell Hair), I used the supplied utility to turn Glitter on, rather than apply one if the colored glitter fabric presets. The glitter in the hair is not very visible in the half body render, but is more visible close up. I only used low settings for the hair glitter, so there isn't much. It was more of a "can I do this" kind of test.

The third image is the X Dress with the Glittering Shaders two toned fabric applied (black on top/red on the bottom). I should have applied glitter to the fingernails, too, but I didn't in this image.

If you use this product, be sure to read the included PDF file for tips and gotchas. It really helps.

Glitter_test_X_Skirt.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 377K
    Glitter_test_2_Persian_Jewel_Hair_closer.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 899K
    Glitter_test_Persian_Jewel_Hair.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 691K
    edited December 1969

@Barbult I'd love to see 'em Barbult. I bought them, but haven't rendered them yet.

@Novica: did you ever get to the bottom of those weird stripes you got on your render with Boudoir lights? I remember your render, but don't recall if you ever came up with a fix.

No, sure didn't. I tried removing lights and changing out (if they were spot, went to distant, or vice versa) and nothing changed the "tire tracks." I probably didn't save the render either, or moved it to an external hard drive somewhere.

If you get one of Maxim, would love to see him. I bought him but not rendered.

edited December 1969

Thanks Barbult! I can see the glitter the best in the first render, and I'll definitely read the instructions because I tend to get stymied very easily and get frustrated / give up.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Thanks Barbult! I can see the glitter the best in the first render, and I'll definitely read the instructions because I tend to get stymied very easily and get frustrated / give up.

Oh, you want more glitter? Here's one with settings turned up and more specular light in the scene.
    Green_Glitter_X_Skirt.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 613K
    edited April 2014

I suspect you can achieve as much glitter as you want. This one has the same lighting as the one at the end of the first glitter post above, but I used the included utilities to amp up the glitter on the dress.

More_Glitter_X_Skirt.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 619K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

I'm so happy I got that now. I've not looked it it yet. This helps me see what it will do. TY Barbult.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

AMAZING!!!!
    I like it turned up- actually adds to the silkiness of the material too. Thanks so much for sharing!

edited December 1969

I really like the shaders Barbult! Thanks for showing that.

One question. Is it possible to make the shader look glittery but also a bit matte or velvety... More fabric-like?

edited December 1969

One question. Is it possible to make the shader look glittery but also a bit matte or velvety... More fabric-like?

There is a setting for shine that you can turn on or off. I think you can adjust it in between too, but I'm not at my computer to check.
    edited April 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

Actual Eyes 4 (MindVision G.D.S.)
    http://www.daz3d.com/actual-eyes-4

M3dHero HD Shapes for Michael 6 (Male-M3dia)
    http://www.daz3d.com/m3dhero-hd-shapes-for-michael-6

Maxim (Male-M3dia)
    http://www.daz3d.com/maxim-hd-for-michael-6

Here’s a quickie.

Okay, I really like Actual Eyes 4. It takes a few minutes to get used to using it, since the eyes colors and reflections are shaders and you cannot see the results in the preview window, but I think the end result is most definitely worth it. There are two eye versions one for Genesis 2 female, and one for Genesis 2 Male. I recommend making a product from the product located here: People:Genesis 2 Female:Actual Eyes 4 and People:Genesis 2 Male:Actual Eyes 4 because I like the way the folders are organized. It is far less confusing than what you see in product view with the shaders all lumped together.

To apply: First select a color, an eye reflection, and eye effects (such as dilate pupil, cat’s eye etc). then I add !SolidRefl although you can also have a dynamic eye reflection.

Here are two different eye presets applied to Male-M3dia’s fantastic M3DHero HD Shapes for Michael 6. The skin is Maxim.

I think the result is really quite nice. The number of reflective options allows you to direct where the eye shine is on the eye and reflect where it might shine.

-actual-eyes2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 257K
    -actual-eyes1.jpg
    700 x 700 - 256K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2014

I've been having a mysterious issue with Actual Eyes 4. In closeups there are some strange black lines in the inner corner of the eye. I've tracked it down to the tear surface. If I reset the tear surface to a shader that has opacity and turn opacity to 0 on the tear surface, the marks go away. The product documentation doesn't have any info about controlling the tear surface, so I don't know what to try. Have you seen this?

Actual_Eyes_4_black_marks_eyeball_only.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 205K
    Actual_Eyes_4_black_marks_on_tear.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 465K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

It almost looks like it produced a double layer of upper eyelashes too. Hopefully SereneNight can test it with a closeup, as I didn't buy the product (just due to budget.)

edited December 1969

Hmm, that was kind of plastic looking. I think this is a more cloth-like version that still has lots of glitter. I did adjust the lighting a little, but I don't think that had a huge impact. Turning down shine and velvet on the glitter shader helped a lot. I only changed the dress and left the belt alone.
    Less_Shine_Glitter_X_Skirt.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 508K
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Hmm, that was kind of plastic looking. I think this is a more cloth-like version that still has lots of glitter. I did adjust the lighting a little, but I don't think that had a huge impact. Turning down shine and velvet on the glitter shader helped a lot. I only changed the dress and left the belt alone.

Looks awesome. Wonder if it can mix with the velvet shaders? I'll have to try it. Thanks for taking the time to show me that.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I've been having a mysterious issue with Actual Eyes 4. In closeups there are some strange black lines in the inner corner of the eye. I've tracked it down to the tear surface. If I reset the tear surface to a shader that has opacity and turn opacity to 0 on the tear surface, the marks go away. The product documentation doesn't have any info about controlling the tear surface, so I don't know what to try. Have you seen this?

The lines are on the eye ball color shader. What they are I haven't figured yet. Some kind of odd shadow? Part of the black edge of the eyeball pattern?

There is also black lines if you can see above the eyelash on the eyeball as well. Too bad I didn't notice those before. I tend not to do closeup renders and they aren't visible from a distanc.e

eye-1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 78K
This discussion has been closed.