Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 4

Comments

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    I was thinking that too. It's a bit too much of imperfection :)

I have a question for the IGC's- is it okay if I feature you in the signature banner- I'd like to draw attention to your wonderful reviews. Give it a few minutes, I just did one for Serene Night's Tachi so you can see it. It will be just like the ones I've been doing for mine, and I called attention to the artist by putting that in blue. Depending on the amount of reviews we have posted, I can't always do a banner for every review, but for tomorrow I'd like to be featuring Luci's. I like changing out the banner so folks in other parts of the forums know when something new is shown.

EDIT: And anyone else wanting to use it, feel free, but you also need to link to the post like I did (right beneath it.)

Sure, it's OK with me, and thank you for the honor. :-)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited March 2014

One more interesting observation about Peter having worked with him for the last hour or so. Is that he has cool bit of redness to the sclera of his eyes. A lot of characters no matter how far to the side the eye goes, you never see red and the sclera on peter is appropriately pinkish red . You can see on Luci's nice renders towards the end where the eye is closer up and in more of a side to side position this nice detail.

EDIT: I did one with sarge using the green eye preset. You can see when his eye looks to the right that the red sclera is visible.

red-yes.jpg
    700 x 700 - 252K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Now that you point that out, I see it :) I bought Peter and other things because the spend $50 get $10 off was active again. The site is getting ready to change over so don't know how long that will be up.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Now that you point that out, I see it :) I bought Peter and other things because the spend $50 get $10 off was active again. The site is getting ready to change over so don't know how long that will be up.

Just curious where do you see the spend 50 get 10 off? I don't see it this time or the last time you mentioned it.

edited December 1969

Sorry for the delay in answering, I am on a weird sleep cycle at the moment. Those banners only show up in New Releases. Always go there to check before you make any purchases. I don't know when the last two started, aka what part of the day. But for the rest of MM I do NOT buy during the day or the first day the MM items qualify unless that $10 off is available. By the end of the second day, if no Buy $50 and get $10 off (only excludes gift cards!) then I buy.

If you wait, for example- The Exuberance Poses was 4.33, Justiciar Men of War Pose Set was $4.00, Justiciar Armored Suit $6.35, and with Peter, Mec4D Apocalipsa (Gen2F) your total would be $29.03 and 5 punches on top of that!

edited December 1969

Kharma- I'll usually mention it here whenever I see it, in case you miss it- but I'm spending a lot of time customizing my studio so am not surfing the shopping section as often. I do try to check it midday and evening, then late evening. Does anyone know what time of day the last two $50 spent get $10 off started? (it's been 2 days in a row, and I know they were active evening until around 1:15am when the site changed over. That would be Florida/Central time.)

BTW Kharma- did you ever customize/rearrange your studio? SereneNight was so helpful back in thread 3 (or was it 2?) and made it very easy to understand. Takes a lot of time to do it right though.

edited December 1969

I am still working on categorizing, I have mostly done poser stuff as it seems to be scattered in several directories and I like it to be all in one with directory for the cr2's and then with subs for mats, poses, etc for each item. The genesis and G2 items seem to be a bit better organized so I don't have to look everywhere for something. But I seem to like punishment as I don't like how I have setup some things I may start over again...lol. I have aquired so much stuff I don't even know what I have anymore!

edited December 1969

Know what you mean. It's impossible to start and stop and remember what you want to do, plus adding new products messes up categories that you had done, lol! I am quite happy that I scrapped everything and starting from scratch. It was very beneficial for me to sort through the Genesis 2 Females and see who I had for the different figures.This is what I have so far, regarding who goes under who. This might make it easier for people and save them a few hours of going to each product page.

These are just the ones that I have, but that is the majority of them I think at this point!
    I think all my G2 Females are done. If they were noted specifically for V6, they went there, if not, they went under the G2 Females (unless they were for a specific character.)

Click to enlarge :)

Another thing I found helpful, instead of doing a lot of props, I just made a folder "Locations" and put the entire scenes there, with subfolders with just the props. For instance Locations>Barn/Stable>The Barn>pitchfork

I have the entire product under The Barn, then duplicated the pitchfork and only it for that folder. Why? Because I know that logically if I want a pitchfork, I know where to go for it. And I don't clutter up my studio with a long list of prop categories. Think about it- when you want a shovel and pail for the beach, wouldn't you go to the Beach Location to get it? But you can still have Props>Buckets/Pails if you want to :)

custom4.jpg
    1218 x 1100 - 110K
    custom3.jpg
    1999 x 1222 - 253K
    edited December 1969

Looking very organized, nice work on the setup. Definitely makes it easier to find what you are looking for!

edited December 1969

How did you do yours so far with the props and scenes?

edited March 2014

For locations I do this: (Just a sample)

Locations>

Sci-Fi
    Contemporary
    Interior
    Western
    Bedroom
    Kitchen
    Outdoors
    Water
    Old-Timey

For props I do this:

Props-Container (I actually have so many props that are containers, baggage,boxes etc it gets its own category)
    Props-Handheld

I probably need to organize more props, since for example, "FOOD" has its own category but is not a prop....

edited March 2014

I had to grin- I love "Old Timey."
    I don't mind sharing, it will save folks some time if they want to dive in. :)

This is definitely a WIP. So far, the Locations I have:
    Apartment
    Art Studio
    Barns & Stables
    Bathroom
    Beach
    Bridges & Roads
    Cafe
    Camping
    Carnivals
    Camping
    Castles
    Cemeteries
    City Ruins
    Cliffs
    Cottages
    Creeks & Rivers
    Desert
    Garbage & Rubble
    Garden Sheds
    Gazebos
    Hallways & Elevators
    Hotels
    Islands
    Jungles & Ruins
    Libraries
    Mountains
    Office
    Outer Space
    Patios
    Playgrounds
    Poolside
    Snow
    Tree Houses
    Underwater
    Villages

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

LOL! Glad you like "Old Timey" I don't really have a category for castles and such so it all goes in there. That was just a sampling, but not as extensive as yours.

One Category you need is:

Props: Rocks. Because you simply can never have too many rocks, and it is so convenient to have them all in one place
    I also have an electronics category for all those phones, devices etc.

I also like the Snow category. I use that a lot too.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    How did you do yours so far with the props and scenes?

Have only done a few so far but didn't like the way it was going so I will start over on those once I figure out a better method of organizing. Are you categorizing under the Categories folder or under the default category folder? Just curious as yours are all in alphebetic order and mine aren't , is there a way to auto alphabetize. I am doing mine just under the Categories folder and it will not let me move them up or down so I can put them in alphabetic order, I can only move them into another category.

edited December 1969

Kharma said:

... Are you categorizing under the Categories folder or under the default category folder?
    ... is there a way to auto alphabetize.

I am using Categories>Default>!Characters
    and Categories>Default>!Expressions
    and Categories>Default>!Poses

for my first three. The exclamation mark keeps them at the very top. It beats out numbers or the letter A so far as place holding.
    Example: !Kharma will come before 1Kharma or AKharma.

Now, if you are finding things aren't alphabetizing:
    1. Make sure your spacing is the same between words
    2. Hyphens change order. I have no other characters in any titles, no : or - or /

edited December 1969

Kharma, I just tried this and it works- left click onto your file using CRTL, and drag it between the files where you want it to go. Be sure you see a THIN LINE between the files, otherwise you'll be putting it inside one of the other two files. :)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Kharma, I just tried this and it works- left click onto your file using CRTL, and drag it between the files where you want it to go. Be sure you see a THIN LINE between the files, otherwise you'll be putting it inside one of the other two files. :)

Ok it wasn't working because I didn't hold down CRTL, I have been categorizing under the categories folder, I don't like all those folders inside the default category to dig through. I basically just ignore the default category completely

edited December 1969

Nope it's not working for me I hold ctrl, left click on file, have yellow line between folders, let go and nothing happens....today is not my day for things to work as they should...

edited March 2014

I also added! in front of Locations and !Clothing so they are up at the top too.

The list under Default after the ! Characters, Expressions, Poses is my props and scenes.
    The way I did it (as mentioned earlier, but just to keep it simple) is to use Locations (that list a couple posts previously) to handle all the scenes and also breakdown the props for those scenes WHICH MAKE SENSE TO ME. I'll know right where to go, for example, for a pitchfork. I'll head to The Barn. So it will be Categories>Default>Locations>Barns & Stables>The Barn>Pitchfork.

For things like rocks which apply to too many products (yep, I had that. Can't live without 'em) I had them in my main list, in addition to props/products. I'm just getting started (and I mean JUST)

Here's some of the props. This just shows up as a category under Default. I don't label them Props. WIP. There's nothing in the props folders at the moment, I am doing characters first, wading through my Genesis Good luck with THAT btw, so many don't have Genesis in the title. I may provide a list of that once I'm done.

EDIT: As I add, I'll put in different colors.

Aliens
    Anatomy
    Angels & Religious
    Animals
    Art Supplies & Studios
    Backgrounds & Floors
    Barrels
    Removed- Under Furniture Bookcases
    Bridges
    Bugs & Spiders
    Camping
    Celestial
    City Buildings
    Clutter & Garbage
    Construction & Tools
    Containers (Cargo)
    Cyclorama
    Dining
    Dragons
    Electronics
    Fabricator & Totally Bazaar
    Fairies
    Fences & Gates
    Fish & Ocean
    Food
    Furniture: (Benches, Clocks, Barstools, etc)
    Garden Tools
    Gazebos
    Ground Planes (my favorites, with sub categories Ground & Dirt, Flipped Floors, and Grass.)
    Hair
    Holidays
    Horses
    Jewelry
    Kitchen & Utility
    Lights
    Martial Arts
    Medical
    Monsters & Trolls
    Music
    Office
    Outhouses
    Planters
    Plants & Trees
    Robots
    Rocks
    Rubble
    Sacks
    Scaffolds
    SciFi
    Sewers
    Signs
    Sleighs
    Skies & Skydomes
    Special Effects
    Sports
    Statues
    Tapestries
    Tires
    Toys
    Transportation
    Tunnels
    Vehicles
    Wagons & Wheels
    Warrior
    Weapons
    Weapons >Primitive>(Bow/Arrow, Spears, Dagger/Knives, Swords each a subfile)
    Wells

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Nope it's not working for me I hold ctrl, left click on file, have yellow line between folders, let go and nothing happens....today is not my day for things to work as they should...

Jaderail said somewhere that DAZ recommends using the Default, so that's why I did that.
    Are you dragging the folder?

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Kharma said:

Jaderail said somewhere that DAZ recommends using the Default, so that's why I did that.
    Are you dragging the folder?

Yes I CRTL/click on file drag it to where I want and when I see the yellow line between the folders I let go and nothing happens, weird....

edited December 1969

Try exiting the studio and coming back in. If you're seeing that little yellow line after dragging with CNTRL left click, there's something definitely wrong, have to agree!

edited December 1969

Has anyone got any renders from Charish or Ravyn? (Genesis) I don't own either of those, and I don't recall ever seeing any renders of them, either. This is certainly interesting going through and locating all the Genesis figures (to see what I own.) Do any of you ICG's or thread surfers have those gals?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Invited Guest Contributor

"Awinita"
    (Cherokee for "Fawn")

Products used:
    Wachiwi - Native American Character, Outfit, Hair and Poses Bundle
    http://www.daz3d.com/wachiwi-native-american-character-outfit-hair-and-poses-bundle
    Growing Up for Genesis2 Female(s) and V6
    http://www.daz3d.com/growing-up-for-genesis2-female-s-v6
    Advanced Light Presets for AoA's Lights

http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-light-presets-for-aoa-s-lights

Backdrop from Boudoir Photo Studio and Lights
    http://www.daz3d.com/boudoir-photo-studio-and-lights

Postwork in Photoshop Elements 11

John

Awinita.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 348K
    edited March 2014

Novica said:
    Has anyone got any renders from Charish or Ravyn? (Genesis) I don't own either of those, and I don't recall ever seeing any renders of them, either. This is certainly interesting going through and locating all the Genesis figures (to see what I own.) Do any of you ICG's or thread surfers have those gals?

I have Ravyn.

Nice figure. Easy to light. Somewhat stylized face, with (mostly) strong makeup options. Nice beige (mid tone) skin, that I think you would like.. Going for the Bettie Page pinup look I think. Figure has standard mats as far as I can tell.

Not a review, a few quick renders for you as requested.

Ravyn.jpg
    800 x 700 - 246K
    Ravyn1.jpg
    800 x 700 - 236K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    "Awinita" (Cherokee for "Fawn")

tjohn- Oh, she looks like quite the imp! Like she can romp in the woods and indeed have baby deer come right up to her. I like that character very much.

SereneNight- thanks for showing her- I do like the way she lights. She also has a very precise nose slope and bridge- aristocratic comes to mind. A no nonsense type of gal. I'll probably wishlist her and wait for a sale.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Try exiting the studio and coming back in. If you're seeing that little yellow line after dragging with CNTRL left click, there's something definitely wrong, have to agree!

Tried that too, still doesn't work. So strange, the line is there but the categories do not move. Maybe you can only move empty categories?

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Novica said:

Tried that too, still doesn't work. So strange, the line is there but the categories do not move. Maybe you can only move empty categories?

Oh great...you put a curse on me. Now mine isn't moving either- empty or not! I just tried moving Victoria 5 sub folder up between the two Genesis folders and it wouldnt go, so I created a second one (Victoria 5 No 2) which was empty, and it wouldn't move either. I'm going to exit and try it again. I will post the question in the New User forum to see how the studio is supposed to be behaving.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay folks, if your Categories suddenly stop working (as in moving or other) it is time to re-import your Saved User Data. The Database has a error of some type and has stopped working properly. I really hope you have been doing Export User Data after each category update you have done. If not you can not recover your work upto the error.

My Work flow,
    Install new content, use Products View to Category full product (multi categories if doing so are done now).
    Close DAZ Studio. Check that all system resources return to normal (nothing but CMS running)...
    Open DAZ Studo check Smart content, check product view for proper display, check categories...
    Is everything still functioning? If yes EXPORT User data... Close DAZ Studio.
    Install next content... Start Category of new item..
    I never save the User Data until after I check to see if I could do all actions, such as move or add, I do not do any just see if they are working.
    If they are I then Export. If my Database errors OR I can not Move items I know I need the Last working save back and will need to do the
    last item all over from the start. This is the only way I will work with my Database now. I have lost to much work in the past.

edited December 1969

I was using CNTRL and left click, and dragging categories under Default to get them where I wanted them. Kharma is doing the same thing and it's not working for her. That was yesterday. Today, it's not working for me either! So questions-

Is there a way to set up those categories outside of the studio, aka, somewhere in the file structures elsewhere in the computer? (under Categories>Default)

I've exited the Studio and re-entered, and it's still not allowing me to CNTRL drag and move the folders. Both Kharma and I have tried folders with and without content, makes no difference. (Again, it worked for me the last few days, today it's a no-go.)

Is there only one section that can be moved? Aka, I moved the folders under Categories>Default>(moved these)

This discussion has been closed.