The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,037
    edited May 2020

I re-discovered this image while trawling through the images directory on an old PC last night and was surprised by the rendering on it, much better than I could really remember.

I think I can remember how I did the image. Figure is Glamorous Vickie [Again! You may begin to suspect I have a thing about the model, that's true, but it's also down to the cost of alternatives.]. The suit is simply the V3 Spandex morph, coloured black. She's on a freebie space bike I got from DAZ. It was rendered in an early version of DAZ Studio, 0.7 or 0.8... probably, though it may just have been Poser 4, can't remember exactly when I changed over to DS. The file date stamp is 31 January 2005. I do know the background was rendered separately in Vue2 that I got as a freebie on the front of a magazine. The spaceship scene came with the Vue installation, called 'Argon 2' and I think I played about with it a bit as an exercise in modelling with primitives. Then to get the DS & Vue images into one, I can distinctly remember having to learn about layers and masks in PaintShop Pro 5, which I also had recently got on the front of a magazine. It was virtually the first time I had used layers & masks, so it stuck in my mind a bit.

Amazing how much & how little has changed in the mean time. I'm still using GV3... [Never!] Still using DS, albeit 4.11 rather than 0.7, still using Paintshop Pro 5 as I feel more comfortable with it than Gimp, but Vue2 is long gone, can't be installed on my Win7 rendering machine. The rendering quality, actually, has not improved quite as much as I had thought. Or maybe I got lucky & ended up with a surprisingly good result rendering for the time...

Regards,

Richard

v328b.jpg
    831 x 355 - 239K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Cool render!

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited June 2020

So here is V2 - Roxanne with Traveler's Cyborg package RDNA Psiberia Vol 1, V2 Separates Vol 3 and DAZ 3D's Victoria 2.0 Full-Figured Character Pack. I call it Cybors Need Guardian Angels Too

CyborsNeedGuardianAngelsToo.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 494K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,665

Really col, and great expression.

I love it! Capsces morphs are so great - I wished she would do some for the newer figures ...

Personally I think it is a deeply disturbing image. The expression well done, but the cyborg bits attached to a distorted figure while retaining the hand and foot, makes me shudder.

edited June 2020

So sorry for your strong reaction to the image richardtracy. (Not reallywink)

I do however like your description of said image. So here is another using Traveler's  RDNA Psiberia Vol 1 with Roxanne just not so much distrotion. I call it War Path:

I promise this is the last one. Just ripping the bandaid off really fast so it does not hurt for to long.

WarPath.jpg
    600 x 971 - 345K

That barcode and it's placement ... LOL

Interesting picture.

The indignities of being a Cyborg!

A new V2 wearing V3 clothing. 

DollyGirl said:

A new V2 wearing V3 clothing. 

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

edited June 2020

DollyGirl, can I ask how you got V2 to wear V3's clothing? Maybe I can get V3 to wear V4's with the same method.

Yonks ago (Dec 2005) I bought Clothing Convertor 2, and mean to try using it again, but I'm not sure if it'll install on my Win7 machine. I will give it a go soon. It'll be useful if it will, because GND2 and GV3 are odd shapes and standard V3 clothing doesn't seem to fit, and even using a smoothing modifier doesn't seem too reliable.

Only got a an hour or so to play with DS in the last week, and ended up trying a dForce experiment which blew up my DS. I tried a 'Deflating GV3' experiment a-la 'Deflating Donkey' April fool last year. Didn't work. Anyway that wasted a bit of time so I only got the chance to do this simple image with 'Willow Creek'. It needs a croc or 'gator in the water:

GV3 on rock 2 R01.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 718K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited June 2020

A very wonderful render richardandtracy. I understand now why people were so excited to get "Willow Creek". Yes you may ask, any time. This is for older generation figures only Genesis or later is a different process. What I do is first load the clothing I want to convert Don't fit it or anything. Select the clothing and convert the clothing to Tri-ax weight mapping. Fit to your figure. You do not have to convert the figure (V3) to weight mapping. I add the smoother and set the pose to see how the geometry reacts. In the case of the S.H.A.D.O bodysuit the leg laces were being bad actors. I tried to use sub-d but I just made them invisible. So the S.H.A.D.O. bodysuit and boots are made for V4 and in my image I made them fit V2. If they fit V2 then they will fit V3.

V2 wearing V4 clothing.png
    500 x 647 - 458K

Thank you Kerya you are most kind.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Regards,

Richard.

DollyGirl, can I ask how you got V2 to wear V3's clothing? Maybe I can get V3 to wear V4's with the same method.

Yonks ago (Dec 2005) I bought Clothing Convertor 2, and mean to try using it again, but I'm not sure if it'll install on my Win7 machine. I will give it a go soon. It'll be useful if it will, because GND2 and GV3 are odd shapes and standard V3 clothing doesn't seem to fit, and even using a smoothing modifier doesn't seem too reliable.

Only got a an hour or so to play with DS in the last week, and ended up trying a dForce experiment which blew up my DS. I tried a 'Deflating GV3' experiment a-la 'Deflating Donkey' April fool last year. Didn't work. Anyway that wasted a bit of time so I only got the chance to do this simple image with 'Willow Creek'. It needs a croc or 'gator in the water:

I don't think it needs a croc ... as it is, it is very peaceful.

DollyGirl said:

A very wonderful render richardandtracy. I understand now why people were so excited to get "Willow Creek". Yes you may ask, any time. This is for older generation figures only Genesis or later is a different process. What I do is first load the clothing I want to convert Don't fit it or anything. Select the clothing and convert the clothing to Tri-ax weight mapping. Fit to your figure. You do not have to convert the figure (V3) to weight mapping. I add the smoother and set the pose to see how the geometry reacts. In the case of the S.H.A.D.O bodysuit the leg laces were being bad actors. I tried to use sub-d but I just made them invisible. So the S.H.A.D.O. bodysuit and boots are made for V4 and in my image I made them fit V2. If they fit V2 then they will fit V3.

Thank you for your explanation - I've saved it to a textfile ...

edited June 2020

Your welcome Richard and Keyra. So just to reiterate, my suggested method of using the weight mapped method is a hit or miss. It definitely depends on the product you are using it on. It works better when you don't jump like V4 to V2 verses V3 to V2. Lots of things for V3 started out as a V2 product and the weight mapped method works well on those items. So on the other extreme if you just can't get things to cooperate then I suggest Evilinnocense's CrossDresser product. The main software is free but to convert an item you may have to buy a license. They are about 10 bucks each. She does offer bundles. You will just have to check to see. I know that CrossDresser works in Windows 7 and Windows 10 because I have used it in both of those versions of Windows. Below is an example of red-viper's Gymnastic outfit for A4 on V2. The afore mentioned method did not work for this outfit so I went nuclear and used the CrossDresser. I still have to use the mesh smoother to fit the pieces to the morph I was using on V2. I think CrossDresser only works on cr2 files. So if you have a prop say a pair of shoes in pp2 format it won't convert it. 

TightwireWalker-V2-iRay.png
    500 x 647 - 594K
    edited June 2020

Thanks - I do have Crossdresser and it does work quite fine (my beloved BJD has not so many clothes made for her ...). But it is always nice to have alternatives.

Edited to add: love the render - the dog is a cute addition!

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2020

Thank you Kerya. Kerwyn does really good work and his puppies are the best. So I have been rendering some images of freebies and discovered that something that helps poke through on the older generation models is to apply smoothing to them as well as the clothing. Oh the tricks we have to noodle out to make things look good. Here is one of the freebies I was working on. V2 in Strapless Leotard by Specs2. Cyberpunk: BabyJane for Anastasia by Cybrea. Updo Hair SR1 by Kozaburo. V2 Character Morphs by Kimber E's Sasha V2 by Ecstasy. I made an iRay mat using those textures and Creating Victoria 2 iRay Material Files by LJStudios.

Cybrea-Cyberpunk BabyJane for Anastasia.png
    500 x 647 - 161K

Lovely 60's scifi pinup!

Yeah, it is. I like it.

DollyGirl, over the weekend I tried to fit a V4 dress to GND2 (a V3 model) and found that the only way to get it to work was to use a dForce animated simulation where it started big and shrank onto the figure. Then once fitted I could pose GND2. This was after Triax weighting as you suggested. However, while not great, it was OK. It seems most of my V4 clothing is.. er.. missing. No idea what happened to it over the years I stopped using DS.

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you Keyra and Richard. It was serendipitous. (I love that word ever since I saw the movie Serendipity). I found her pose at  fantasypose.com. Link is: https://web.archive.org/web/20020615055054/http://www.fantasypose.com/zips/fdownload2.ZIP. I was just messing trying to get something for a promo for the Anastasia freebie and this happened. I said hey cool and kept the render.

edited June 2020

This is V2 again.

vickieandclockblogbackground.jpg
    1450 x 1100 - 192K

Lovely - the girl, the composition and the colours!

thank you Kerya. I did this one back when I had a blog.

Yeah, it is. I like it.

DollyGirl, over the weekend I tried to fit a V4 dress to GND2 (a V3 model) and found that the only way to get it to work was to use a dForce animated simulation where it started big and shrank onto the figure. Then once fitted I could pose GND2. This was after Triax weighting as you suggested. However, while not great, it was OK. It seems most of my V4 clothing is.. er.. missing. No idea what happened to it over the years I stopped using DS.

Regards,

Richard.

So we have another technique to fit other figure's clothing to the Generation 3 figures. Good to know. So can you give us a general step by step guide to how you did the dforce sim, please? I know how to use resizing in OptiTex but have never done it with dforce.

Another V2 Roxanne

DollyGirl said:

Another V2 Roxanne

Interesting lady ... I wouldn't bite into that apple. wink

What texture is that on her? Please?

DollyGirl said:

Yeah, it is. I like it.

Regards,

Richard.

So we have another technique to fit other figure's clothing to the Generation 3 figures. Good to know. So can you give us a general step by step guide to how you did the dforce sim, please? I know how to use resizing in OptiTex but have never done it with dforce.

Another V2 Roxanne

DollyGirl, this is what I did originally with a dress.

1. Load figure
    2. Load dress
    3. Fit dress to figure
    4. In areas where there was pokethrough, adjust hidden X/Z scale morphs until there was no pokethrough.
    5. Add dForce dynamic modifier to dress.
    6. Move to frame 30 of animation.
    7. Scale X/Z of all loose fitting parts of the dress so the dress is pretty much inside the figure.
    8. Save scene.
    9. Set gravity to zero
    10. Run dForce animation from frame 0 to 30. If it doesn't explode, the dress should look as if it was shrink-wrapped onto the figure. It should, with V4 clothes on V3, follow the poses quite well from here.

OK. I repeated that procedure this afternoon so I could get pictures. You will notice that I have no pictures. That's because I simply couldn't get anything to work with dForce today. Absolutely nothing whatsoever. When trying with dForce G8F clothing on G8F, it exploded on me. I was a bit sweary and very disgruntled by the time I stopped for supper. I simply have no idea why it failed.

Thank you Kerya. To your question about the texture. I can only guess but I think I started out with Coco by Valentin 3D found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20061121070356/http://valentin3d.free.fr/pages/16.html#65. Then I think I added some pink for blush on the cheeks and nose. I then added some eyeliner using the shape of the Death texture from Serenity and Death by FrogLace found here: http://www.froglace.com/2016/11/09/wolfrose-vintage-textures-for-v2/. This image was done before my harddrive crash so no reference files to go back to. Sorry I could not be more precise. I don't have all of the stuff I had installed back yet but if I find something else I will tell you.