Beta for DazCentral, your new Content Manager

Comments

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142

Well, this experiment is over. After multiple install errors, downloading some content through studio, and then using RegEdit to figure out where it hid over 2GBs of files, I'm done for the day.

• I'm trying to do a new clean install of selected components on a Windows machine to test. I have a hard enough time keeping DIM from barfing all over the C: drive, but I decided to try DAZCentral and there is no option. The drop down says controlled by DIM, so I download and install it through the browser (I did not see a way to do that through DAZCentral). Could not successfully install Studio until I removed DAZCentral. Now content is hit or miss. I may try to install it through Studio itself.

DIM was bad enough, but Central is buggy and doesn't seem to need to exist. I just may have to uninstall everything and use RegEdit to get all the other parts gone and start again with only DIM.

Merged threads

• This is really a comment. I have been delayed in producing more work of my own by issues about how I can distribute my own work and protect from unauthorised copying etc[ as well as by other isseus]. Likewise I wish to protect the intellectual property rights of DAZ creators. 

Taking this into account I believe that DAZ needs to set more prescriptions on how we set up our devices. But also they need to take into account the fact that some people are just doing renders on a laptop and may want roaming capabilities whereas other people are trying to do some serious renders and animation and want a good set up at home with a main machine one or more render boxes and a separate disk station or indeed home network server.

DAZ probably needs a render node available [perhaps it already is available] as many fancy doody expensive programs already do? Also we need to be able to use home network storage devices not just hard drives on one machine. I orginally set up a disk station on my home machine to make maintaining my DAZ content easier. It has proved to make it harder. I aslo wanted to use that same content from my render box machine. My understanding is that does not cotravene the EULA because the content can be used on more than one machine but by the same person.

I note that I do not have a separate server and simply use software on my main machine to download and install on the diskstation. Perhaps I should be doing it differently? Also I could use the same user name to log onto the two different machines and use the same name to specify the shared folder on my diskstation. Many people are doing the same thing but perhaps are more au fait with the process and don't have as many problems as me. Every time there is a new update to DIM there seems to be a problem. I actually got the diskstation after purchasing a  DAZ tutotiral on how to set up your content. The diskstation sounded like a good idea so that you can easily maintain your DAZ data and access as required. It also means that if you had set up RAID you could easily fix hardware problems.

It seems that it should be fairly simple to write a new installer program [given the complexity of what DAZ does such as iRay algorithms etc]. But it is important that we are told specifically what is allowed and what is not allowed. If I must go back to simply installing on one machine on one of my internal hard drives I will do so to enable to use the content I already have purchased. 

I actually wanted to check I could reinstall DAZ easily using the new DAZ Central. It certainly doesn't work currently at least to the folder you specifiy. I can actually use DAZ from the folder it is currently residing in and point to the right content database without any problems. However because I now can't install Postgre SQL CMS it can't read my installed content on the diskstation. But DAZ Central doesn't work and nor does DIM work any longer as well. So this seems like a good time to raise this issue. Perhaps these problems wouldn't occur if the EULA and or set up prescription issues are solved?

• This is really a comment. I have been delayed in producing more work of my own by issues about how I can distribute my own work and protect from unauthorised copying etc[ as well as by other isseus]. Likewise I wish to protect the intellectual property rights of DAZ creators. 

Taking this into account I believe that DAZ needs to set more prescriptions on how we set up our devices. But also they need to take into account the fact that some people are just doing renders on a laptop and may want roaming capabilities whereas other people are trying to do some serious renders and animation and want a good set up at home with a main machine one or more render boxes and a separate disk station or indeed home network server.

DAZ probably needs a render node available [perhaps it already is available] as many fancy doody expensive programs already do? Also we need to be able to use home network storage devices not just hard drives on one machine. I orginally set up a disk station on my home machine to make maintaining my DAZ content easier. It has proved to make it harder. I aslo wanted to use that same content from my render box machine. My understanding is that does not cotravene the EULA because the content can be used on more than one machine but by the same person.

I note that I do not have a separate server and simply use software on my main machine to download and install on the diskstation. Perhaps I should be doing it differently? Also I could use the same user name to log onto the two different machines and use the same name to specify the shared folder on my diskstation. Many people are doing the same thing but perhaps are more au fait with the process and don't have as many problems as me. Every time there is a new update to DIM there seems to be a problem. I actually got the diskstation after purchasing a  DAZ tutotiral on how to set up your content. The diskstation sounded like a good idea so that you can easily maintain your DAZ data and access as required. It also means that if you had set up RAID you could easily fix hardware problems.

It seems that it should be fairly simple to write a new installer program [given the complexity of what DAZ does such as iRay algorithms etc]. But it is important that we are told specifically what is allowed and what is not allowed. If I must go back to simply installing on one machine on one of my internal hard drives I will do so to enable to use the content I already have purchased. 

I actually wanted to check I could reinstall DAZ easily using the new DAZ Central. It certainly doesn't work currently at least to the folder you specifiy. I can actually use DAZ from the folder it is currently residing in and point to the right content database without any problems. However because I now can't install Postgre SQL CMS it can't read my installed content on the diskstation. But DAZ Central doesn't work and nor does DIM work any longer as well. So this seems like a good time to raise this issue. Perhaps these problems wouldn't occur if the EULA and or set up prescription issues are solved?

Installiing also adds the information about the filles to the local database - another system will not get that unless the database (Ediit>Preferences>CMS Settings>Content Cluster directory) is also shared.

Do note that Daz does not create or code Iray, nVidia supplies it as a osed box and Daz integrates it into DS using the APIs - this is also true from 3Del;ight, from DNA Research rather than nVidia, and from Optiiex the older dynamic clothing system from before dForce..

• CerragCerrag Posts: 237
    edited June 2020

I wish I could say something good about Daz Central but it won't even detect that I have Daz Studio installed, no matter what I do.  Now, DIM won't download an entire order and instead, I have to sort it by newest purchases first and select each and every package by clicking on their own boxes - and I've never had a problem with DIM in the past downloading an entire order.  I just think it's ridiculous to have gone thru all this trouble to try to use what looked like a good thing, only to end up trying to fix what wasn't broken to begin with.  Normally I like everything DAZ but this whole thing has been a real stinkbomb.  Maybe if you're a brand new user and didn't have anything else installed yet, then, this *may be a good thing but not for someone whose had DAZ installed for years apparently.  I wouldn't have written any of this if it weren't for the time lost in trying to recover what used to be working and it's only out of disgust for the time lost that I felt the need to unleash my true opinion.  What a bummer and disappointment this has been.  sadno

Also don't appreciate that the download pages for entire orders now seem to have only one choice to download the entire order - using DAZ Central.  I no longer have the option to download the entire order using DIM.  Another suck.  Please DAZ, at least give me back the option to use DIM again and don't force me to use DAZ Central until it works for everyone.  It makes me not want to buy anymore bundles if I'm gonna have to download each package one by one.  How ridiculous this is.

Post edited by Cerrag on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712
    Cerrag said:

Also don't appreciate that the download pages for entire orders now seem to have only one choice to download the entire order - using DAZ Central.  I no longer have the option to download the entire order using DIM.  Another suck.  Please DAZ, at least give me back the option to use DIM again and don't force me to use DAZ Central until it works for everyone.  It makes me not want to buy anymore bundles if I'm gonna have to download each package one by one.  How ridiculous this is.

Just select "Order Date: Recent First" on the Ready to Download tab in DIM, then it will list your latest purchases on top of the list.  I find that just as easy as using the link.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited June 2020

It's probably a little confusing for the new users, DIM but DazCentral is downloaded (no auto installation).

https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/downloadstudio/

THANKS FOR DOWNLOADING DAZ STUDIO!

Installation of Daz Install Manager (DIM) should begin automatically.
    DIM will then install Daz Studio and your free content.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • ironclawxiiironclawxii Posts: 172
    edited June 2020

DIM links completely removed from order page. The Daz Studio download page forcing Central to download. This isn't good.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm complaining, but this is shady. If Central is going to be replacing DIM, I'd appreciate being told the truth now rather than later. And if not, why have so many recent updates of the Daz website make it seem that way? Surely Central and DIM should have equal representation, but it seems like the very best effort is being made to sweep DIM under the proverbial rug.

Post edited by ironclawxii on

Installiing also adds the information about the filles to the local database - another system will not get that unless the database (Ediit>Preferences>CMS Settings>Content Cluster directory) is also shared.

Do note that Daz does not create or code Iray, nVidia supplies it as a osed box and Daz integrates it into DS using the APIs - this is also true from 3Del;ight, from DNA Research rather than nVidia, and from Optiiex the older dynamic clothing system from before dForce..

Thanks for the reply Richard,

I see what you mean about details of programming however, I still would have thought that the writing and debugging the code for file downloader would have been more Commercial Programming 101 rather than all the feeatures in DAZ itself including using the nVidia and other Applications Programming Interfaces. [I had to look that acronymn up again but I had remembered the concept okay].

I had forgotten to wake up my diskstation it keeps defaulting to automatic sleep after a period when it upgrades. When I do that before I open DAZ the postgre connection is established okay and I can access my content. So my old copy of DAZ is working okay.

Even with Central uninstalled DIM is still not reading the files okay on installed drive even if I have a good connection to drive. I probably should say it is not listing files okay because I think that is the Windows permission? Reading I suppose means accessing the contents of a file. It starts off with all my content ready to download. Then it starts to install basic free content. It installs them successfully except for DAZ studio 4.12 program and the PostgreSQL CMS connection. It also seems to be altering the paths I have set for my content database.. It tacks on the "Applications/Data/DAZ 3D/My DAZ 3D Library onto my path specified z:users/public/documents/MyDAZ 3D Library

The programs paths get changed to /Applications/ 64-bit and 32-bit respectively. Perhaps I should change my DAZ password and see if that helps?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955

DIM links completely removed from order page. The Daz Studio download page forcing Central to download. This isn't good.

I'm sorry to sound like I'm complaining, but this is shady. If Central is going to be replacing DIM, I'd appreciate being told the truth now rather than later. And if not, why have so many recent updates of the Daz website make it seem that way? Surely Central and DIM should have equal representation, but it seems like the very best effort is being made to sweep DIM under the proverbial rug.

And that there is no option that I can see in Daz Central for custom folder locations, it is a very big turn off for me.. My guess is they are expecting everyone to have multi gigabyte/terabyte system drives to cram everything on..

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    Simple question regarding DAZ Central downloads. When DAZ Connect only was introduced, it was clearly stated that the Connect only would be for one year. Does the same apply to Central only?
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    icprncss said:
    Simple question regarding DAZ Central downloads. When DAZ Connect only was introduced, it was clearly stated that the Connect only would be for one year. Does the same apply to Central only?

DazCentral uses the same internal core as DIM, so anything installable through DazCentral will be installable through DIM as well.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    icprncss said:

DazCentral uses the same internal core as DIM, so anything installable through DazCentral will be installable through DIM as well.

Not my question. Connect Only had a specified time limit. Does the same hold for Central Only?
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,389
    icprncss said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    icprncss said:

Not my question. Connect Only had a specified time limit. Does the same hold for Central Only?

There is no central only content.

• Sorel said:
    icprncss said:
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    icprncss said:

There is no central only content.

That is my reading of

DAZ_Rawb said:
    icprncss said:

The issue with Frontier Outpost is that ti doesn't currently have any installers, I suspect it lists Daz central because it has some kind of pointer that would tell Daz Central to downbload the (DIMable) zip if it was present, so the install option is incorrectly listed as available.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

Can't use DAZ Central because I use a Mac, but I want to put in a plea, for when it does come out of beta.

Please, PLEASE be more efficient at handling large libraries?  I have somewhere between 14,000 and 16,000 DAZ products (depending on data source), and the number of install packages is larger than that.  When I want to use DIM, I generally start it up, and go do something else.  When I remember to come back, it's usually finished loading its data set, and I can pull down the latest stuff I've bought.  It gets worse if I'm trying to interact with my NAS, where I store the ~50% of my items that I'm okay taking significantly longer to load.

I get that it's using the DIM back-end, but...are there any improvements you can make?

Although I guess if it's targeted at newer users, then you don't necessarily care if it handles libraries that large.  In which case, consider this a plea to make DIM more efficient with large libraries. :)

--  Morgan

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited June 2020

DAZ need a more reliable download service.

Metadata Update failed : 70335 SWOLE for Genesis 8 Male: Hercules - Advanced Muscle Deformation

2020-06-09 13:22:09.102 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0
    2020-06-09 13:22:25.619 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): curl_easy_perform(https://cloudload.daz3d.com/metaFiles/70/70335_99e5fa_data.json) failed: HTTP response code said error
    2020-06-09 13:22:25.619 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): TaskLoadProductDataWeb (70335) failed, url: https://cloudload.daz3d.com/metaFiles/70/70335_99e5fa_data.json
    2020-06-09 13:22:25.619 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(660): sync completed with errors, 2 items succeeded, 1 items failed.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • vonhobo@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,634
    edited June 2020

I'm trying to do a new clean install of selected components on a Windows machine to test. I have a hard enough time keeping DIM from barfing all over the C: drive, but I decided to try DAZCentral and there is no option. The drop down says controlled by DIM, so I download and install it through the browser (I did not see a way to do that through DAZCentral). Could not successfully install Studio until I removed DAZCentral. Now content is hit or miss. I may try to install it through Studio itself.

DIM was bad enough, but Central is buggy and doesn't seem to need to exist. I just may have to uninstall everything and use RegEdit to get all the other parts gone and start again with only DIM.

I've been using DIM for almost 2 years now and never had a problem.

DAZ Central was causing all sorts of problems for me, including not even installing new products after purchase. It kept telling me I needed to install DAZ Central after I had installed it. So I could not figure out what the point of it was, and I'm so annoyed that the DIM link is gone from after product purchase page. 

I'm really surprised with all the complaints here, that DAZ Central is still on the after product purchase page, and that DIM is gone. Now I have to remember to run DIM after I purchase anything. Not a big deal, but it doesn't seem like it would have been a big deal to leave the link on the page either. It was nice because it auto-logged into DIM so you could install products quickly. 

From what I'm gathering they created DAZ Central for new users. To make things simpler for them apparently. I guess if it works for them that is great. What do the rest of us loyal DAZ customers do? Will the issues/bugs with DAZ Central be addressed so we can benefit from the link on the after purchase page too? Seems like that's what they are pushing. So why not have it work correctly for everyone? It didn't even think I had DAZ Studio installed on my machine. If it's not backward compatible, why push it on everyone??

* Sigh *

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • It's still, I assume, working for people who don't have DIM open (I've not used those links, except possibly to check if people are reporting issues).

I do not have DIM open and the links do not work for me. 

I can manually run DAZ Central after a purchase, but not via the after product purchase links. But since I'm comfortable with DIM, I just run that instead of DAZ Central after I purchase something.

What was the reasoning for removing DIM from the after product purchase page? There must be a grand design to all this ...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    von Hobo said:

It's still, I assume, working for people who don't have DIM open (I've not used those links, except possibly to check if people are reporting issues).

I do not have DIM open and the links do not work for me. 

I can manually run DAZ Central after a purchase, but not via the after product purchase links. But since I'm comfortable with DIM, I just run that instead of DAZ Central after I purchase something.

What was the reasoning for removing DIM from the after product purchase page? There must be a grand design to all this ...

I assume to make it simpler for new users, assuming that DIM users know how to start DIM.  I don't know if Daz3D has data to determine how many people used the old DIM links before vs. launched DIM manually.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2020

I just placed an order. I didn't pay much attention to the order confirmation page, but I did click through to the order details page, (clicking on the order number,) to verify the correct amount was charged. What I found on that page was the ability to download with either DazConnect or DIM.

Clicking on the DIM Download & Install button for the first item opened DIM per usual and all products from this order are now showing in the Ready to Download tab. It's one more step, but I don't think it's onerous.

And on the bright side, this one extra step will have you double-checking the amount charged, so you'll find any discrepancies right away.
    wink

download via order page.png
    989 x 475 - 82K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

I'm wishing I would have read all of these comments before installing and running DazConnect.  I'm now having to spend HOURS restoring backups of my folders because DazConnect made assumptions that were not correct.

My recommendation to users:  If you have customized installation paths in DIM and DAZ Studio, stick with DIM.

My recommendation to DAZ:  1)  Use the EXACT paths setup by DIM and in the DAZ Studio custom paths.  2)  Prompt and warn the user before making such changes perminant.  Example:  "Your current content is set to V:\custom\documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles.  DAZConnect would like to change it to C:\My Daz Library\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles.  Do you want to allow this change?  Y  or N"  3)  Keep DIM around until folks with custom paths can test it for you.  Compensate those testers as it will require a LOT of effort on their behalf to make sure it works.  (My experience today is an example of that.  DazConnect completely screwed up my content.)  DazConnect is NOT ready for prime time.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I'm wishing I would have read all of these comments before installing and running DazConnect.  I'm now having to spend HOURS restoring backups of my folders because DazConnect made assumptions that were not correct.

My recommendation to users:  If you have customized installation paths in DIM and DAZ Studio, stick with DIM.

My recommendation to DAZ:  1)  Use the EXACT paths setup by DIM and in the DAZ Studio custom paths.  2)  Prompt and warn the user before making such changes perminant.  Example:  "Your current content is set to V:\custom\documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles.  DAZConnect would like to change it to C:\My Daz Library\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles.  Do you want to allow this change?  Y  or N"  3)  Keep DIM around until folks with custom paths can test it for you.  Compensate those testers as it will require a LOT of effort on their behalf to make sure it works.  (My experience today is an example of that.  DazConnect completely screwed up my content.)  DazConnect is NOT ready for prime time.

This message has Daz Connect confused with DazCentral. They are both installation methods, but are very different.

• kfox65kfox65 Posts: 59
    edited June 2020

I agree with UHF about the lack of control over the updates. It sucks.

I was really excited when I saw Daz Central, thinking I'd finally be able to get updates to my products that had been installed on my external disk with a previous computer. DIM does recognize that these products have been installed at all. Daz's answer was I had to reinstall all my content on the new computer, even tho it's really there and works fine.

Since my Daz content is 3 Tb, there is no way I am reinstalling all that stuff. Do you have any idea how long that would take? And there is no way I'm storing all those zips on my computer - I'd run out of space before I got half way through my purchases!

Imagine my surprise and disappointment when Daz Central turns out to do the same damn thing. If it wasn't installed under your current install of DIM, Daz Central does not recognize the need for a product update.

When I tried to uninstall it, I ran into all the problems already mentioned in this forum. I had to reinstall Daz, all my plug ins, and DIM several times to get everything working again. And now DIM recognized only the items installed since that latest fiasco and I'm missing out on updates to even recent purchases.

I was hoping for the ability to choose a product and check to see if there has been an update so I could install it. Is that really too much to ask, Daz people? Can somebody over there add that to your future release "wishlist?"

Post edited by kfox65 on
  • I'm wishing I would have read all of these comments before installing and running DazConnect.  I'm now having to spend HOURS restoring backups of my folders because DazConnect made assumptions that were not correct.

I would make the  feature suggestions in 2) via https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

3) need not be a concern: Daz Central uses the DIM zips and Central is essentially the same as DIM but with fewer decisions for the user to make - DIM is going to remain for more experienced users who are likely to need at least some of those additioonal options.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    kfox65 said:

I was really excited when I saw Daz Central, thinking I'd finally be able to get updates to my products that had been installed on my external disk with a previous computer. DIM does recognize that these products have been installed at all. Daz's answer was I had to reinstall all my content on the new computer, even tho it's really there and works fine.

Since my Daz content is 3 Tb, there is no way I am reinstalling all that stuff. Do you have any idea how long that would take? And there is no way I'm storing all those zips on my computer - I'd run out of space before I got half way through my purchases!

For the record, DIM offers the option to delete the original zip after install. All it needs to keep is the manifest file generated when the content is installed, so it knows what was installed and when.

kfox65 said:

And now DIM recognized only the items installed since that latest fiasco and I'm missing out on updates to even recent purchases.

Did you use a custom path to store the manifest files before installing DazCentral? There's a good chance that path has been reset to default when DazCentral was installed, which would explain why DIM doesn't know anymore what was installed before that. The manifest files should still be in the old directory though, so you should be able to get them back.

kfox65 said:

I was hoping for the ability to choose a product and check to see if there has been an update so I could install it. Is that really too much to ask, Daz people? Can somebody over there add that to your future release "wishlist?"

An update compared to what? DIM has no way to know which version is installed if you didn't use it for install...

• cgweekscgweeks Posts: 12

'The "IM00069519_DAZCentralWin64.zip" file is invalid. It does not contain a manifest, or is corrupt. The product cannot be installed.'

Can someone tell me why I keep getting this message via DIM whenever I download and try to install DazCentral?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712
    edited June 2020
    kfox65 said:

Is DIM pointing correctly to the ManifestFiles folder?  It's the .dxs files in that folder that keeps track of what has been installed.  Also, these files are hardcoded with the path to the library where the products they refer to are installed so if the library path has changed they may need to have the path references changed. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • chatvenuechatvenue Posts: 21
    edited June 2020

Just tried it out, after I installed all the Daz stuff, including the content. I was planning to move my content to a network drive anyway, so figured why not.

Base directory, I set as z:/  drive.

Daz studio location as default, at C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudi

Note the / and \ mix up in the location paths.

It ended up installing everything in Z:\ drive, which was not what I was thinking of.

I also note that there does not seem to be any easy way to select all my assets and set it to install. I don't think I will want to download and install the 1000+ assets I think I have now manually.

I plan to uninstall everything and go back to the previous good old methods which work.

Looks nice, functionality-wise, extremely lacking, and odd bugs like the / and \ mix ups. Maybe will look into it in a couple more months time, after checking the changelogs, etc to see whats been changed.

Oh, windows 10 Pro 64bits, up to date, with C drive being a 1TB SSD and D drive being a 2TB HDD. Z; was a network drive from my synology.

Post edited by chatvenue on
  • Db3dDb3d Posts: 248

I would make the  feature suggestions in 2) via https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

3) need not be a concern: Daz Central uses the DIM zips and Central is essentially the same as DIM but with fewer decisions for the user to make - DIM is going to remain for more experienced users who are likely to need at least some of those additioonal options.

That's good to know DIM is staying around.

Thank you!