*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

Pull number 5:

1826 = Get Funky Josie
    1829 = Parkside High Hallways
    865 = Michael 5 Elite Skin Texture Dave
    1741 = Warrior Goddess Poses for Olympia 6

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...great pics.

Scott: A very nice scene there

Luci45: The Nuvo Garbology display isn't all that far from what I have actually seen in galleries. "One person's trash is another's..." well you get the point.

MelanieL: odd that in RL I often have dreams that involve plane crashes (no goblins though). Maybe it's good I travel by train.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Melanie, that was both very Zawarkal and very RRRR at the same time, in other words, brilliant!

edited December 1969

Thanks, KK and Totte :-)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

MelanieL, I love your Zawarkal's Nightmare? Besides being colorful, the posing is great! Very funny. You used her favorite colors too!

Scott-Livingston, I agree that Novica'a critters need multi-colored lights. Looks like a happy herdbeast but I don't think she will replace her horse with one.

Zawarkal, I am happy that you you like the one I did for you. With that draw I could not unfortuneatlely resist some silliness.

Thanks, Totte and KK.

Hmmm, yes, barbult, I think that is Ken... ;-) (He wasn't supposed to show up in a second render so I didn't mention it.)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Enjoying all the renders, I've sat out this month due to my horse- I moved him to an even nicer ranch so my free time was spent visiting other places and enjoying the one I moved him to- such nice folks! I loved what Scott-L did with the herdbeast, very creative :) (But I'll keep my equine, thank you.)

edited March 2014

Luci45 said:
    MelanieL, I love your Zawarkal's Nightmare? Besides being colorful, the posing is great! Very funny. You used her favorite colors too!

Thanks. I was trying to go even bluer (I looked at a couple of Zawarkal's renders that were really vivid) but couldn't work out how to do it. If she's reading this, perhaps she'd like to give some hints? Please??? :)
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

Pull number 4:

1600 = Aircraft Spidi
    519 = Carnival Midway Interiors
    309 = More Deadly Edges
    493 = Elleth Hair

TAG:MelanieL#4

Title: Zawarkal's Nightmare?

Zawarkal was confused and rather frightened.
    She couldn't remember how she got here...
    In fact she wasn't sure where she was...
    In fact she wasn't sure what she was: asleep (in which case this was a terrifying nightmare) or awake (in which case this was the most terrifying experience of her life).
    And should she be more concerned about the goblin attack? Or the likelihood that a plane was about to crash into them all?

Zawarkal: Tori for V5, Aussie Girl top, Flower Power jeans and sandals
    Lesser Goblin 1: Barbarian Warlord breeches
    Lesser Goblin 2: Genesis Ranger pants
    Lesser Goblin 3: Dragon Lord Pants
    Spidi Pilot: David 5, K'Nicky Hair, GIS Biosuit
    Carnival Big Top

ok, first off, I was born and raised in Peru In, known as Circus Capital USA. Every summer they have an amateur circus performance which draws visitors from all over. One year there was a group invited I believe it was to Russia, could be wrong been awhile, to perform their act there. Peru even has a circus museum.
    So it is funny how without truly knowing much about me that all the images thus far have Me in them.

My first thought when I saw this image was Pop Goes the Weasel. Why I'm not sure, but I'm here to say would someone please pop the balloons! lol :)

Ariadne in Inception. "Wake Me Up!"

Great image. Brings back memories. Thanks for choosing me.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Luci45 said:

Thanks. I was trying to go even bluer (I looked at a couple of Zawarkal's renders that were really vivid) but couldn't work out how to do it. If she's reading this, perhaps she'd like to give some hints? Please??? :)

It's tough to tell you how I get the colors in my images because there really isn't any technique that I follow.

I can say that I do render with weird colors. One set of lights use reds. One set of lights uses blues. Some light sets have mixed colors. I just allow myself to be drawn to a light set and insert it into the scene. Then I render and see what I get.

At times I have gone back and chosen a different light set, rendered it, and then blended it with the first image. It all depends on what I like when I see it. Until then I do not know what I am even creating.

(Lately I have also been adding omuberlighting to a figure/prop trying to work in some glowing fx. very much still learning with this.)

In fact, most times I sit down to do an image knowing that I want to use a certain figure/prop in the image. Once I get that setup in the scene then it pops into my mind what I should add next. When that is in the scene, then and only then does the next item pop into my mind. Usually I like the results of these images much better than when I sit down knowing what I think I want to create.

Right now I have the start of an image which is looking really cool, but I do not know what I'm adding next so it is on hold. I am in the middle of a pain nightmare right now though. Once I clear those energies I imagine the image will move forward again.

The biggest thing I would suggest is that you render in layers. First render just the background, if you are using one, otherwise you will create it in post using blends of gradients, fractals, and/or grunge/patterened/etc image overlays. Next render each major section of the image separately until you have it all more or less as if individual clipart. From this point you can then add each piece into the image one at a time, duplicating and blending as you go until the color is what you want for that piece. Gradients work well during these blend modes to change colors also. Keep in mind that as additional layers get blended above they can change blended colors below and you may find yourself tweaking back and forth. There is also masking if you want to avoid part of a blend. Then it is only shadows that you will need to address. This can be using the drop shadow or by rendering a full image layer with shadows and using that as the background overlaying all clipart renders above that, or overlaying it above what you have with the clipart. It's more about what gives the desired effect. And, you can always add another gradient over the top of the image, too.

Choice of blend modes. Sometimes I will look at the effect of each and every one of the choices and pick the one I like the best. I do use lots of hard light, dodge, and burn modes. Be sure to remember masking.

I've had images that could be worked in less than 10 layers. I've also had images that have had closer to 60 layers. As you see I don't know what I'm doing, I just know what I like when I see it.

It did occur to me something you could have done to your image that would have truly drawn out the feeling of a nightmare. You could have placed clown makeup on the goblins. Not sure If I would have or not, but it did occur to me.

I hope this will at least give you a general direction to what you are looking for. I will be glad to help further if I can.

edited March 2014

Zawarkal said:
    MelanieL said:
    MelanieL said:

Title: Zawarkal's Nightmare?

ok, first off, I was born and raised in Peru In, known as Circus Capital USA. Every summer they have an amateur circus performance which draws visitors from all over. One year there was a group invited I believe it was to Russia, could be wrong been awhile, to perform their act there. Peru even has a circus museum.
    So it is funny how without truly knowing much about me that all the images thus far have Me in them.

My first thought when I saw this image was Pop Goes the Weasel. Why I'm not sure, but I'm here to say would someone please pop the balloons! lol :)

Ariadne in Inception. "Wake Me Up!"

Great image. Brings back memories. Thanks for choosing me.

Glad you liked it! I had no idea there was a circus connection, but somehow when I started things started to get "blue" so I thought of you! :)
    And thanks for the detailed peek into your work and methods - it will take me a while to digest but gives me some ideas to try in future...
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

...finally got an idea that popped into my head and who as my victim.

Thought the deadline was tomorrow, but see it is Sunday, cool I should be able to pull this off.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Pull number 5:

1826 = Get Funky Josie
    1829 = Parkside High Hallways
    865 = Michael 5 Elite Skin Texture Dave
    1741 = Warrior Goddess Poses for Olympia 6

TAG:MelanieL#5

Title: Working for Novica

Novica was checking up on Dave's renovation work at her stables. She was disappointed to see that he was nowhere near finished, because she really wasn't happy about housing her horses in a partial building site.
    "Was something distracting Dave from his work?" she wondered.
    Dave insisted that the presence of his assistant was entirely necessary to ensure the speedy completion of the whole project.
    But Novica still had the impression that the "assistant" had just grabbed the nearest tool to look busy - what exactly was the girl supposed to be doing with that rasp?

Used Warrior Goddess Poses: Novica - "Commanding", Girlfriend - "Claiming Victory"
    Also Used:
    Novica: Gabi for V5, Pyrit Hair, Riding Habit
    Dave (M5): Pure Hair Messy, Town and Country clothes
    Girlfriend (V6): FW Diana, Toulouse hair, Patchwork Shoes 3
    DAZ Horse 2, English Saddle, English Saddle Textures
    East Park High Hallways (texture on the near half of the hallway), Horse Stable Props

Working-for-Novica.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Another great one Melanie! Very nice!

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

@Scott Livingston Good One! A warm pleasant day bonding in the stable. Not sure what herd beasts eat but this one looks contented.
    @Luci I want to go to that museum. Is that a sushi man on stilts walking in a pond that s really a fish. A fish pond.
    @ Melanie #4 Very tactile. the soft cloth wheel matching the feel of the ground. Very well done!
    @ Melanie #5 I like your scene textures switching off into the done and undone areas. Had a couple neighbors over the years
    who decided to keep their horses in their house. One was a renter and just knocked out the back wall so the horse didn t
    have to walk the eighth of a mile to the barn. Wonder if Novica is getting ideas about moving her horses in, too. Heard that
    their body heat will warm up the house in winter. Not that she ll need it.

edited December 1969

Gopherus #4
    The Day KaribouBoutiques Ship Finally Came In

Pulled:
    Happy Camper V4
    Mermaid Girl
    Frangipani V4
    Summertime Grill

Having successfully mastered the Grinch for Christmas, when things were really tight,
    Karibou goes wild when she comes into money
    and decides to buy knick knacks to the tune of the Knick Knack Song....

Karibou, she bought one
    Statue for her swimming pool, and now her day's begun
    With a knick knack paddy whack, Throw the dog a bone
    Karibou came rolling home

Karibou, she bought two
    Cheetahs to populate her new home zoo

Karibou, she bought three
    Potted plants including one palm tree

Karibou, she bought four
    Chairs for the dining room and then went back for more

Karibou, she bought five
    Complete new outfits to make her feel alive

Karibou, she bought six
    Pieces in a drum set including drumsticks

Karibou, she bought seven
    Birds to sing to her but one flew up to heaven

Karibou, she bought eight
    Cases of make-up, packed in a crate

Karibou, she bought nine
    Shrimps for the barbecue tasted really fine

Now the dog, didn t ask for more
    For he had assembled a complete dinosaur
    With a knick knack paddy whack, Now they both are done
    The dog and Karibou had so much fun

karibousBigDay.jpg
    2000 x 976 - 1M
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Now that is something different! What a great idea and done in such cool way. I love that.

edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail
    My first idea was Red fish Blue fish to go with Karibous Dr Seuss theme
    but the Knick Knack song worked out better
    the rhyme changed every few hours until the final render.

edited December 1969

gopherus, that's an awesome idea so such a great execution!

edited December 1969

@gopherus - #4 - I love this idea and the poem is superb! And thanks for your comments on mine. What did the landlord have to say about the "improvements" to his house? Of course keeping animals in (or under) the living quarters was a traditional way of keeping the house warm, but I think I'm glad to live in the age of Central Heating :)
    @Totte - thanks for the comment.

edited December 1969

Thanks Melanie and Totte for your comments

The landlord started eviction proceedings, but they left him a present
    They flushed cement down the plumbing. It took a lot to bring the place back up to code.
    The old couple across the street just had a pony in their spare bedroom.
    They let my dad muck it out and take as much fertilizer as he wanted.
    This was a long time ago... a different mindset in those days... i guess.

edited December 1969

...@gopherus, very imaginative. that must have taken some time to layer all those images and numbers.

...@Melanie, Very nice use of the two sets side by side.

Anyone know if there is a free beard for M4?

edited December 1969

Thanks Kyoto Kid
    Maybe 26 layers and 10 final renders. Any number of test low res renders.
    But the set up for each render got easier
    old props out, new props in, next section of dragon wax on, previous section wax off
    change pose, change expression. Not hard, just tedious

edited December 1969

...I maybe do two or three layers at most and that's it.

edited March 2014

i usually do about 3 too, just this time did more

edited to add:
    did you look at this free beard from adam thwaite?

http://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_29.htm

beard_2.jpg
    600 x 400 - 113K
    Post edited by Gopherus on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...@gopherus, very imaginative. that must have taken some time to layer all those images and numbers.

...@Melanie, Very nice use of the two sets side by side.

Anyone know if there is a free beard for M4?

Thank you.
    edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    i usually do about 3 too, just this time did more

edited to add:
    did you look at this free beard from adam thwaite?

http://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_29.htm

...but when was that issued? All I get is the newest top page off the link.
    edited December 1969

did you scroll down to the 16th item on the page.... it shows 2 free beard props

edited December 1969

the pp2 file says feb 12, 2009
    if that helps

edited March 2014

...no. That's' the one issue with links to his site you have to page around a lot to find the actual item you need as there id no search function. Links on Rendo and Share CG at least take you right to the specific item. Getting too late now anyway as the rendering alone will take a lot more time in S3A than it does in 4.6.

...ahh well, as they say on Earth, c'est la vie.

Looking forward to just a "generic" RRRR next time.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Well, I had hoped to do more, but I got entirely distracted by playing with new MM purchases.