*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

Comments

• J GugliuzzaJ Gugliuzza Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I had so much fun the first time I played, thought I'd try it again!
    my pulls
    Fairytail Bassinette
    Epsilon for Michael 4
    Jai Hair
    Warzone

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal, I'm glad you are going to give it a try. Your work is wonderful and does have a keen ironic humor to it. As far as "mocking" is concerned, I feel we are honoring, or homaging (is that a verb?) people for their wonderful quirks that help make us who we are. As comedian Russell Peters said when criticised by the press for offending people in his audience - (paraphrasing) Who is offened? I am celebrating them.

Thanks, Totte, barbult, MelanieL and especially,Ken. The comic format is fun and easier for me to write than paragraphs of story. And the Comic Life software is really easy to use - just pop the renders into frames and add preformatted speech bubbles and type in the dialog.

MelanieL, thanks. I couldn't find the merman so bought PC mermaid tail for V3 and autofit it unto Genesis.

My latest pull:
    Sensibility Expansion
    Reflections Victorian Bedroom
    MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 2
    Chic

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

This is pull #5:
    1214 - Michael 5 Pro Bundle
    2131 - Amaya Hair (This looks very familiar...!)
    312 - Aslan Court 1: Decor 1
    1073 - Pure Hair: Crazy for Genesis

Man, this one took for-freakin'-ever to render! (Almost six hours; I know it's nowhere near Totte's record, but still...! And then, just to give me that essential frisson of terror, I misspelled the file name, and, basically, lost it for another hour!)

Mostly because of all the lights, but I also bumped up the dimensions, from my usual 800 x 600, to 1200 x 900, to show more detail. Unfortunately, the larger format also reveals the flaws, too; which explains the four 'false starts' -- the render would get to the point where a specific error was noticeable, so I'd have to stop it to make the correction, then restart.... Until it revealed yet another.... Lather, rinse, repeat. It really had me pulling my hair out! Which, as several of you have noted, is not something I need to be doing at this point in my life!

Also used:
    (From the Michael 5 Pro Bundle)
    Michael 5 (Pretty much obligatory, don't you think...? So, I used him three times!)
    James for M5
    M5 Casual Male
    Easy Going Poses for Michael 5 (tweaked almost beyond recognition!)

Aslan Court 1 (because the Decor demanded it!)
    Tales of Adventure: Arabian Nights for Hiro 3 (Auto-Fit ROCKS!!)
    Crazy Locks Hair for Genesis
    Sofia for Victoria 4
    Bad to the Bone for V4
    Morphing Business Suit for Genesis
    GQ Event Hair
    Pharaohs of the Sun Dress for V4
    Gala (Texture for PotS Dress)
    Andy Hair
    DMs Secret Chamber (stole the Lectern, for the Maitre-d's station)
    Grandeur Dinner Service
    Magnificence (textures for Grandeur)

TAG: obanion#05
    Title: "Don't Quit Your Day Job?" I Wish!
    (A Day in the Life of Jack Tomalin)

Because the royalties on Platinum Club items don't amount to bupkis, Jack has to supplement his income by working four nights a week as the Maitre-d at Ali Baba's Persian Restaurant and Falafel Bar....

Jack: "We have a dress code here, people! Hel-lo-o-o...!"

So..., please, people -- buy Jack's products! He's begging you!!

RRRR_DayInTheLife_05.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited February 2014

Because the royalties on Platinum Club items don't amount to bupkis, Jack has to supplement his income by working four nights a week as the Maitre-d at Ali Baba's Persian Restaurant and Falafel Bar....

Another funny masterpiece Ken, and a very very good render too! I hope Jack feels honored!

Post edited by Totte on
    edited February 2014

Last pull!

REDRAW: #3210 President Day Super Pack (Tender Sweater) (9mbi)
    #3005 Old West Expansion 1 - Sign Pack 1 (RDNA)
    #2183 Hardcore Utility Shaders DS
    #399 Michael 4 Gun Pose Construction Set
    New Pull:#3453 Room Creator Version 2

Edit: I have to redraw that one as it is for a special figure that was not in the presidential super pack, Hillary Clinton
    And my Mr. Tomalin idea went down the drain.......

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Another funny masterpiece Ken, and a very very good render too! I hope Jack feels honored!

Thanks, Totte!

I'd settle for him not suing! :-P

edited December 1969

And now, for my penultimate pull....

1891 - The Duelist for David
    92 - Teen Jayden 6
    299 - Dress Code Violation Outfit
    2315 - Razored Moffitt - A V3 Fashion Hairstyle

Hmm, what to make of this one...? And who to skewer with it??

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Zawarkal, I'm glad you are going to give it a try. Your work is wonderful and does have a keen ironic humor to it. As far as "mocking" is concerned, I feel we are honoring, or homaging (is that a verb?) people for their wonderful quirks that help make us who we are. As comedian Russell Peters said when criticised by the press for offending people in his audience - (paraphrasing) Who is offened? I am celebrating them.

lol, glad you think so, you're my intended target

and, thanks for the comment

I have gotten most of the story written just trying to get the image to work with it now. Biggest thing for me is in the details of the story as I don't know a whole lot about anyone in particular... so some of it may be/will be prefabricated in order to fit with the image... just hoping not to offend

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    Luci45 said:

lol, glad you think so, you're my intended target

and, thanks for the comment

I have gotten most of the story written just trying to get the image to work with it now. Biggest thing for me is in the details of the story as I don't know a whole lot about anyone in particular... so some of it may be/will be prefabricated in order to fit with the image... just hoping not to offend

Our stories are all made up, maybe having a tiny grain of truth somewhere. I'm eager to see what you come up with !

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,126
    edited December 1969

This is pull #5:

Man, this one took for-freakin'-ever to render! (Almost six hours; I know it's nowhere near Totte's record, but still...! And then, just to give me that essential frisson of terror, I misspelled the file name, and, basically, lost it for another hour!)

Mostly because of all the lights, but I also bumped up the dimensions, from my usual 800 x 600, to 1200 x 900, to show more detail. Unfortunately, the larger format also reveals the flaws, too; which explains the four 'false starts' -- the render would get to the point where a specific error was noticeable, so I'd have to stop it to make the correction, then restart.... Until it revealed yet another.... Lather, rinse, repeat. It really had me pulling my hair out! Which, as several of you have noted, is not something I need to be doing at this point in my life!

Also used:
    (From the Michael 5 Pro Bundle)
    Michael 5 (Pretty much obligatory, don't you think...? So, I used him three times!)
    James for M5
    M5 Casual Male
    Easy Going Poses for Michael 5 (tweaked almost beyond recognition!)

Aslan Court 1 (because the Decor demanded it!)
    Tales of Adventure: Arabian Nights for Hiro 3 (Auto-Fit ROCKS!!)
    Crazy Locks Hair for Genesis
    Sofia for Victoria 4
    Bad to the Bone for V4
    Morphing Business Suit for Genesis
    GQ Event Hair
    Pharaohs of the Sun Dress for V4
    Gala (Texture for PotS Dress)
    Andy Hair
    DMs Secret Chamber (stole the Lectern, for the Maitre-d's station)
    Grandeur Dinner Service
    Magnificence (textures for Grandeur)

lol.. excellent.. nice work!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

This is pull #5:

Ken, that's a good one. Jack should be honored.
    I have a suggestion for you for test renders. Try Progressive Rendering. Somewhere along the way, DAZ has made that work. It used to crash every time. Now it is working reliably for me in 4.6.2.118, and is very fast for evaluating a scene to catch errors that would require you to fix something and render again. You don't have to let it run to completion before you can spot problems. It saves a ton of time when I remember to use it.

edited December 1969

My number 4:
    Living Room collection
    Curator Aquarum DS
    Parkside Cargo
    Walter (M4 outfit)

I know who my target will be. I don't think anyone has done this person yet. I have my story mostly figured out.

edited March 2014

And now, for my penultimate pull....

1891 - The Duelist for David
    92 - Teen Jayden 6
    299 - Dress Code Violation Outfit
    2315 - Razored Moffitt - A V3 Fashion Hairstyle

Hmm, what to make of this one...? And who to skewer with it??

Once I figured out who I wanted to target (a task that was made even easier by figuring out who was left to target!), this one came together fairly quickly. I just hope I successfully handled the "artistic nudity" in the scene! (And now I have everybody looking for it, don't I!?)

Also used:
    Versatile Terrain
    Easy Environments: Greenlands (Skybox only)
    DMs Fantasy Bath
    DAZ Trees (Oak, specifically)
    Donavan for David 3 (a ShareCG freebie, by LA3D)
    Jamie Hair by AprilYSH
    The Studio
    Easel and Canvases - a ShareCG freebie
    Ash character for Teen Jayden 6
    Casual Long Hair
    Forest Prince for M4 (gotta love Auto-Fit!)
    Multiplane Cyclorama (Beach textures)
    Spring Hair
    Mini Art Set

TAG: obanion#06
    Title: Her Other Passion
    (A Day in the Life of karibousboutique)

Not many people knew it (and she was careful not to give too much away), but when 3-D images just didn't push her artistic buttons, or turn the creative cranks, karibou liked to go 'Old School' every now and then, at a little studio she had set up on the beach. The natural light was perfect for painting, she was free from distractions, and there was always a local beach bum willing to model for beer money.

Model: "How much longer is this going to take? I feel like a complete nimrod standing here in this get-up!"

Kari: "Well, if it's any consolation, you look like a complete nimrod in that outfit. Just keep thinking, 'This is for art!' But I'm almost done. Just a few more highlights.... There! Perfect! Okay, now lose the skirt!"

(Edited to add the "zing"!)

RRRR_DayInTheLife_06.png
    800 x 600 - 636K
    Post edited by Ken OBanion on
    edited December 1969

Not many people knew it (and she was careful not to give too much away), but when 3-D images just didn't push her artistic buttons, or turn the creative cranks, karibou liked to go 'Old School' every now and then, at a little studio she had set up on the beach. The natural light was perfect for painting, she was free from distractions, and there was always a local beach bum willing to model for beer money.

Model: "How much longer is this going to take? I feel like a complete nimrod standing here in this get-up!"

Kari: "Well, if it's any consolation, you look like a complete nimrod in that outfit. Just keep thinking, 'This is for art!' But I'm almost done. Just a few more highlights.... There! Perfect!"

Another OBanion classic ;-)

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

Thanks Lucy and Melanie for your comments

@Lucy #3 Nice beach scene. Clever use of playground set poses on the sea children. That beach sure looks like Doheny State Beach at Dana Point. With the long boarders off shore are waiting for the wave.
    #4 lol! Love the manga format. Even if it does take many more renders and more blocking. Ken would enjoy no cal way more than sherman oaks or encino where i ve heard some of the low budget "indies" get made
    @barbult Love the color in your renders. #2 Nice expressions. And Ken got Alexis without even having to grow his nose longer.
    #3 Another neat band scene. Love the ensemble on the koto player.
    @Totte #6 Making the undead less undead. Good one. Reminds me of the first Billy Jack where he couldn t afford stuntmen
    and had to beat up his friends on camera
    @Ken #5 You really capture the texture intricacies of Jacks work. Nice one.
    #6 I like the point of view from the models perspective. See how clean the loft is even though it s on the beach.
    The sand may get everywhere but it washes off. I can see her popping a brew everytime the model starts losing interest.
    @Melanie Clever black and white old photo. and Hello Mom is such a classic!

edited December 1969

Gopherus #2
    Lucy45s New Franchise

Pulled
    Heart of the Forest
    Patio Furniture Pack
    Medieval Construction Site
    Family Car 1950 poses

Sven and Tweety supervise the construction of their new franchise location in the forest.
    Did you think these diners were built by magic?
    Lucy auditions musicans for the house band. A requisite for each of her locations.

lucy02.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 1004K
    edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    Gopherus #2
    Lucy45s New Franchise

Sven and Tweety supervise the construction of their new franchise location in the forest.
    Did you think these diners were built by magic?
    Lucy auditions musicans for the house band. A requisite for each of her locations.

Really neat one gopherus! Love the idea!

edited December 1969

thanks Totte
    I ve noticed Lucy s proclivity for diners and bands.
    Don t know if she has a cover charge for the entertainment. But it does pack them in.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

MelanieL, thanks. I couldn't find the merman so bought PC mermaid tail for V3 and autofit it unto Genesis.

Oh, dear, you're right - he must have been retired from the store! (My product library still has him but says "Fill" where the product details and store link should go)

Buy Jack's products??? He'll have to get even busier to create some I haven't bought!
    And I love your take on Jack's other life :)
    Also like your take on KaribousBoutique - very artistic too.

Gopherus #2
    Lucy45s New Franchise

Love this too - very pretty and a nice catch of Luci's old themes.
    PS: Thanks for your comments on my #3.

edited December 1969

gopherus said:

@Ken #5 You really capture the texture intricacies of Jacks work. Nice one.

Honesty (whoa, what a concept!) compels me to disclaim credit for that. I used Jack's lighting preset, so it was all his doing.

Of course, the textures themselves probably had something to do with it, too!

edited December 1969

zawarkal#1
    |:| Luci45 Has A Nighttime Adventure, Too |:|

items pulled:
    UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders
    Squee the Little Fae Dragon
    V3 and M3 Shapes for Genesis
    Modern Bed 1

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this pull. I started searching for images with beds and found Luci45's 5th image from January's RRRR titled, A Nighttime Adventure. And, we know she likes magic and vibrant colors... so it goes like this...

----
    Luci45, wearing her satiny PJs with fluffy slippers, is surprised to awaken in her bed. Afterall, wasn't she just working on an image for the Daz RRRR challenge?

But as she is lying there she remembers that she was just having a very strange dream. She was in a strange magical mushroom forest with flying dragon faes and she was surrounded by elves all made by using the V3 and M3 shapes from Genesis. Or wait. No. She recalls now it was Thomas who was suprised to awaken in his bed (wearing his shiny PJs). And, it wasn't a strange magical mushroom forest. It was just your typical strange dream forest. But she wonders, "Why was I using so many clones of his niece and nephew? Could I just have been playing with the instancing tool? Or maybe, I should not have suggested in the story description that Thomas had drank a Martini before bed."

Her mind wanders further and she begins to recall something about glowing bedknobs. And wait, wasn't there also something about a flying bed? She stops and tells herself, "No, that just doesn't make sense. A flying bed. I mean, really?!? Oh! Yeah!," she thinks, "I had Thomas reading an old childhood fairy tale book in that last image I was creating."

Thinking back on the strangeness of her dream, Luci45 begins to wonder if maybe she shouldn't have had that last drink of Absynthe while working on an RRRR challenge, or maybe it was just that little blue pill. "Hmmm, maybe I am making too many RRRR images", she muses.
    ----

okay, hope this is what I was supposed to do
    for those who do not know, the clothes with no bodies are a reference to the film, Bedknobs and Broomsticks (if you cannot tell for sure, that is a thong under the broom)
    and, I was trying to represent Luci45's like for magic by the wall of genesis v3 m3 shapes which, of course, used instancing

just for fun you could even turn the image upside down in a paint program or viewer

night.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 497K
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    zawarkal#1

items pulled:
    UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders
    Squee the Little Fae Dragon
    V3 and M3 Shapes for Genesis
    Modern Bed 1

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this pull. I started searching for images with beds and found Luci45's 5th image from January's RRRR titled, A Nighttime Adventure. And, we know she likes magic and vibrant colors... so it goes like this...

----
    Luci45, wearing her satiny PJs with fluffy slippers, is surprised to awaken in her bed. Afterall, wasn't she just working on an image for the Daz RRRR challenge?

But as she is lying there she remembers that she was just having a very strange dream. She was in a strange magical mushroom forest with flying dragon faes and she was surrounded by elves all made by using the V3 and M3 shapes from Genesis. Or wait. No. She recalls now it was Thomas who was suprised to awaken in his bed (wearing his shiny PJs). And, it wasn't a strange magical mushroom forest. It was just your typical strange dream forest. But she wonders, "Why was I using so many clones of his niece and nephew? Could I just have been playing with the instancing tool? Or maybe, I should not have suggested in the story description that Thomas had drank a Martini before bed."

Her mind wanders further and she begins to recall something about glowing bedknobs. And wait, wasn't there also something about a flying bed? She stops and tells herself, "No, that just doesn't make sense. A flying bed. I mean, really?!? Oh! Yeah!," she thinks, "I had Thomas reading an old childhood fairy tale book in that last image I was creating."

Thinking back on the strangeness of her dream, Luci45 begins to wonder if maybe she shouldn't have had that last drink of Absynthe while working on an RRRR challenge, or maybe it was just that little blue pill. "Hmmm, maybe I am making too many RRRR images", she muses.
    ----

okay, hope this is what I was supposed to do
    for those who do not know, the clothes with no bodies are a reference to the film, Bedknobs and Broomsticks (if you cannot tell for sure, that is a thong under the broom)
    and, I was trying to represent Luci45's like for magic by the wall of genesis v3 m3 shapes which, of course, used instancing

just for fun you could even turn the image upside down in a paint program or viewer

I'm going to suggest that you have captured the essence of this RRRR perfectly! And you offered us a stunning image, on top of it! Where I come from, we call that a win-win!

(And I see that I was not the only one who was profoundly affected by 'Continuum Adjustment'! I'm using it as the desktop background on my Mac Mini!)

edited December 1969

Thank you Ken!!!, My stomach was in butterflies as I was posting.

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited February 2014

barbult, your last two were stupendous! (Totte and Ken inspire very fun renders.)

MelanieL - I love Totte's disciplined young cadets! I'm sure they impressed the public.

Totte, wow, your Cho is pretty scary in many ways, especially the Bellatrix body and skimpwear. Is she going after the evil princess next?

Really nice one, Ken, of Jack! (#5) I wonder how he really feels when we mix and mash his beautiful models.
    #6 - I'll bet surfer dude wants to get back in the water. Nice one.

gopherus - Not Doheny State Beach, but very close. It was Monarch Beach, or Salt Creek State Park, I guess it's called. You live in SoCal too? I staged Ken's adventure in NoCal intending for it to be Tannhauser and take place in the Mountains, and it would be the Trinity Alps, and I was going to tie it into the local economy of the Emerald Triangle, but that got too complicated, with rednecks, cannabis growers and porn...
    Lucy45s New Franchise - I love it! Sven and Tweety are back. I do seem to render a lot of diners (bands too?) Less calories absorbed and money spent in renders than doing it in real life.

Zawarkal - What can I say?! Except, wow, I am so happy to have inspired that masterpiece! OK, I just turned it upside down. Very freaky. I see why it's a nightmare now. Awesome. And you used my lovely avatar with scalp crest. Hehe. Believe it or not there are plenty of weird things in my head without inducing them with drugs or alcohol. I've never seen see Bedknobs and Broomsticks, will have to watch it sometime. This one is going to be my desktop background for a long while! Thank you!

Post edited by luci45 on
    edited December 1969

Wow, Luci45. Thank you for the comment. I love that you would actually use it as a background. You know how an artist can be their own worst critic at times.

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    zawarkal#1

----

Really fab entry Zawarkal, I just have to chime in, you did capture the essence of RRRR, or not just catch, but embrace and hold, great job!
    edited February 2014

barbult said:
    My number 4:
    Living Room collection
    Curator Aquarum DS
    Parkside Cargo
    Walter (M4 outfit)

I know who my target will be. I don't think anyone has done this person yet. I have my story mostly figured out.

Well, Ken beat me to the punch with KaribousBoutique, but I got mine done. This is inspired by her prize winning Christmas story. The coffee table is from the Living Room Collection. Parkside Cargo was turned into a toy train. Curator Aquarum DS is outside the window. Walter is the texture on the Working Man M4 outfit on the boy. The snowy background is an image from KaribousBoutique Renderosity store product KB Frosted.

Tag: barbult #4
    The Day KaribousBoutique Couldn't Handle one more DAZ Sale

Everyone at the DAZ site
    Liked Shopping a lot
    But the Karibou,
    Who logged into the website
    Did NOT.

Karibou HATED shopping! Why that's like high treason!
    All the sales and confusing discounts, that must be the reason.
    It could also be that her phone was too small for the picture,
    Or perhaps that her runtime was bigger than her discs were.
    But I think the most likely reason of all
    Was that her store credit balance was always way way too small.

RRRR_Parkside_Cargo_Living_Room_Curator_Aquarum_Walter.jpg
    2000 x 1589 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal, I don't know how you do it! You are a real artist. That image of Luci45 is stunning.

edited December 1969

barbult said:

Karibou HATED shopping! Why that's like high treason!
    All the sales and confusing discounts, that must be the reason.
    It could also be that her phone was too small for the picture,
    Or perhaps that her runtime was bigger than her discs were.
    But I think the most likely reason of all
    Was that her store credit balance was always way way too small.

Another great one barbult. I love the imagination this contest brings out!
    edited December 1969

Oh my, thank you Totte and Barbuilt. You all are making me feel really good about this one. And, to think I almost didn't try.

I've gotta say this. I always keep the last image that I made on my desktop, only changing it when I begin the next work in process of an image.

Well, I wasn't that confident with this image. I actually replaced it with the image that I had done before which is an image that I really like how it turned out but it cannot be displayed on this site.