*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited March 2014

barbult said:

MelanieL #1 Luci45 Instructs Her Acolytes - Luscious colors and textures in this one. I think you did accomplish some of the "Luci glow". And yes, we should listen hard when she gives us those golden nuggets.
    MelanieL#2 Ken OBanion Wonders… - This very short story tells it all. Very creative with all those strange hallucinations. Lots of details. The color is very pleasing, too. What is that in Ken's right hand? I can't quite make it out.
    MelanieL #3 Captain Totte Proudly Presents His Cadet Unit - I love how all those guys are cutting up as soon as proud Totte turns his back. I think one kid is standing at Totte requested. I think this captures the essence of several Totte renders I've seen with the military theme, multiple characters and the aged photo look. Well done.

Thanks for taking the time to go through all the entries so far.
    Ken's right hand is holding a 1/3-full bottle (I didn't want to impugne his virtue by showing two empties!)
    ETA: PS I love your Zawarkal entry - really colourful and delightfully odd.
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    edited March 2014

Thank you Totte, gopherus, and MelanieL. I can't claim to be more Zawarkal than Zawarkal. It doesn't have the sophistication and numerous hidden treasures to find of the originals. It is more like a child drawing a stick figure and trying to pass it off as the Mona Lisa. But I got the colors, and she did say go for weird! So I did!

Post edited by barbult on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited December 1969

A Night in Barbult's Life - Preparing for Muck's Return
    tag:luci45#5

Many long years have passed in the special land where DAZ characters dwell. Barbult has been rudely awakened (she thinks, but is actually dreaming, probably.) Anyway, Mavka appears to her in the night, in a state of joyous rapture, and some anxiety. Muck is to be released from prison in two days (or whatever pass for days there.) Please, please, she begs barbult, I need some new clothes, modern, but traditional too. And with lots of pink. Mavka's dowager Aunt Bernice appears also, to help out and make sure Mavka's outfit is perfect. She thinks something more subtle, in beiges and browns, would be best. Perhaps they will reach a compromise? Going is slow though, with lots of discards when the ladies don't see eye to eye, and barbult finds it a bit difficult to work in her altered form - she has somehow taken on the shape of her avatar.

Too much late night rendering will lead to interesting dreams. ;-)

Used:
    Sensibility Expansion
    Reflections Victorian Bedroom
    MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 2
    17 Chic

Also used:
    Songbird Remix Amazon
    Dynamic Sheet
    Computer Desk
    Picture frames from The Library
    Sewing Machine (Rendo Freebie
    Songbird Remix Perch
    Timeless texture
    Various Timeless Refections furniture
    Lyda for Sensibility
    Belatrix
    Hat and Hair Helper Genesis 2
    17 Chic Textures
    Ye Olde Clothe Bundle
    Gn Tears Hair

barbult.jpg
    1600 x 1120 - 710K
    edited December 1969

LOL, gopherus, you and Zawarkal (I am happy you are volunteering) are on my list for the next two. The last pull just made me think of barbult.

barbult, thanks for the reviews and nice comments. That made my day (that and finally finishing "your" render.) Your KaribousBoutique one is great. I love the expression and it really fits with her Christmas poem.
    A Colorful Day in the Life of Zawarkal - very cool!

Totte, I love the Jack Tomalin one! Great Assay office!

Pull #6
    Timeless
    pw Effect
    Dream Home-Eclectic Master Bedroom Furniture
    Gregoria Hair

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    A Night in Barbult's Life - Preparing for Muck's Return
    tag:luci45#5

Many long years have passed in the special land where DAZ characters dwell. Barbult has been rudely awakened (she thinks, but is actually dreaming, probably.) Anyway, Mavka appears to her in the night, in a state of joyous rapture, and some anxiety. Muck is to be released from prison in two days (or whatever pass for days there.) Please, please, she begs barbult, I need some new clothes, modern, but traditional too. And with lots of pink. Mavka's dowager Aunt Bernice appears also, to help out and make sure Mavka's outfit is perfect. She thinks something more subtle, in beiges and browns, would be best. Perhaps they will reach a compromise? Going is slow though, with lots of discards when the ladies don't see eye to eye, and barbult finds it a bit difficult to work in her altered form - she has somehow taken on the shape of her avatar.

Too much late night rendering will lead to interesting dreams. ;-)

Used:
    Sensibility Expansion
    Reflections Victorian Bedroom
    MFD for Genesis Expansion Pack 2
    17 Chic

Also used:
    Songbird Remix Amazon
    Dynamic Sheet
    Computer Desk
    Picture frames from The Library
    Sewing Machine (Rendo Freebie
    Songbird Remix Perch
    Timeless texture
    Various Timeless Refections furniture
    Lyda for Sensibility
    Belatrix
    Hat and Hair Helper Genesis 2
    17 Chic Textures
    Ye Olde Clothe Bundle
    Gn Tears Hair

Oh Luci, this is wonderful! You have my sewing machine and computer. I will never need to leave the room. I'm happy to see another render of me as my avatar. I'm so glad that Muck is being released. Believe it or not, my husband asks me every couple weeks whether I'm going to render Muck again to get him out of jail.
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

A Night In The Life of Jaderail Enos Sunder

Backstory

The night was silent. All around me, the forest was calm and bright--here in the far south, in the hot days of winter, the sun does not set until close to midnight. I’d run far from what had once been my home, far from the mouths of the Underdark from whence I’d been exiled. And still I was hunted.

I’d heard rumors that Lolth the Spider Queen, the living goddess of my people, had forged an alliance with the Claws, a band of slavers based in the distant, frozen north. These slavers, it was said, constantly sought elves and elf-like beings of all sorts to serve as laborers in their workshops.

I’d been lucky to evade them so far, but I knew that my luck was running out. I’d seen the cloven hoof prints, heard the distant jingling. The deep, diabolical laughter.

I paused to catch my breath, leaning against a ruined pillar, lonely relic of a forgotten realm. My backside ached: the wound I’d gotten from the savage’s arrow had never healed quite right. My eyes darted among the trees, but saw no movement. All was calm...too calm.

Then I heard it. A soft, silvery noise, as if tiny bells were ringing. It could almost have been a babbling brook, but I knew better.

Cautiously, I inched my way around the column, putting a hand to the hilt of my sword. They had found me. Round yon: four of them. The leader’s ebon skin identified her as Coal, the dread Hand of Claws. What had I done to deserve Coal? I wondered. The others were very young; to me they seemed wholly infants--tender, but wild. I was acutely aware of the danger I was in...but were they?

You better watch out, I thought. Someone’s about to go to the top of the naughty list.

A Day In The Life of Jaderail, DAZ 3D Forum Administrator

There it was again--the trailer for the latest Jaderail film, “Exile XI: Silent Night.” The “festive” hats seemed so out-of-place...not to mention those ridiculous eyebrows… Shaking his head, Jaderail pressed the skip button. Not that he didn’t appreciate the royalty checks, but he was beginning to wonder whether the franchise had perhaps continued just a little too long.

The ToonCam was a challenge; not hard to use, but hard to find the sweet spot between "way too posterized" and "can't even tell if it's on." Ended up going with a shading rate of 1.00, which seemed to help with the cam (sometimes more detailed isn't necessarily better). Happy with how it turned out--didn't even do any postwork.

Random items used:
    M4 Elite Texture Rob (Jaderail’s skin, with a diffuse purple added)
    ToonCam Basic
    Modular Ruins
    DA Festive Hat

Other items used:
    Golden Rules Camera Prop
    M5, Genesis Evolution morphs, Aging Morphs for Genesis, Aged for V4 and M4 (Jaderail character)
    Sun Hair (Jaderail’s eyebrows)
    James for M5 (Jaderail’s eyes)
    Cuffed Tail 2 (Jaderail’s hair)
    Ashley for M5
    FW Ashley (for Teen Josie)
    FW Ash
    Tamesis Bundle (as Coal, with diffuse color added to the skin)
    Hiro 5 (Coal’s eyebrows)
    Return to the Enchanted Forest
    Elven Warrior for Genesis 2 Male
    Forest Scout
    Hooded Cloak Pack for Genesis 2 Females
    Adventure Land Outfit and Textures
    Lantios Lights 2
    Advanced Ambient Light
    Advanced Spotlight

Exile-SilentNight.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 570K
    edited December 1969

Scott, you are quite a story teller. You're giving Ken a run for the money. I can't really detect the toon aspect of the render, probably because i don't have a regular version to compare with. It is a very interesting composition, with Jaderail up close in the corner like that.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Nailed, to the wall. No escaping that one...
    Great stuff one and all. Loving the contest.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    barbult said:
    The other one gave me some interesting items:

1605 Lost Gallows (pretty new)
    1340 Skin Overlay Bundle
    1035 A Thousand and Three Nights
    766 Stateroom Poses

The skin overlay usage is pretty hard to see after I applied all the colorful postwork, but it is there. I applied every overly at its max setting. Zawarkal's pose is really an M4 pose from the Stateroom Poses product, but it went onto G2F well enough. I did have to rotate her to get the leg through the rope. And I used Handy Dandy to adjust the feet and hands.

Also Used:
    Genesis 2 Female
    Various G2F morphs to make Zawarkal less generic
    Scoopback Minidress
    Supersuit two-toned shaders for the minidress
    Xenia Hair
    Handy Dandy
    Photoshop filters galore.

Tag: barbult #5
    A Colorful Day in the Life of Zawarkal

Some people think Zawarkal is weird. They just don't get her. Well, I'll admit, she does have an unusual exercise routine, with the noose leg lifts and all. And her home is rather exotic looking. But here in RRRR-Land, she fits right in! We love her COLOR commentary.

Wow, that was fast. I've been reviewing your image and it is almost scary. Are you a psychic by chance? There are actually three things about this image that actually fit into my life... and, you have no avatar to work from

When I saw you pulled the rope I was reminded of a tarot card image of the hanged man that I had done long ago. So I was curious how you were going to fit this in with me. I've got to say you pulled it off well. This has got to be the most original and creative use of a hanged man's rope that I have ever seen!

Also love your write up!

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thank you Totte, gopherus, and MelanieL. I can't claim to be more Zawarkal than Zawarkal. It doesn't have the sophistication and numerous hidden treasures to find of the originals. It is more like a child drawing a stick figure and trying to pass it off as the Mona Lisa. But I got the colors, and she did say go for weird! So I did!

lol, you should see my stick figures... thank goodness for Daz

Luci45, looking forward to your impending creation, hoping you get a truly oddball draw for it :) the more odd, the more fun

manifestation, quantum reality, surreal, metaphysical, channel, crystals, skulls, new age, duality, triality, outside the box, etc... good keywords to lock into

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:

Wow, that was fast. I've been reviewing your image and it is almost scary. Are you a psychic by chance? There are actually three things about this image that actually fit into my life... and, you have no avatar to work from

When I saw you pulled the rope I was reminded of a tarot card image of the hanged man that I had done long ago. So I was curious how you were going to fit this in with me. I've got to say you pulled it off well. This has got to be the most original and creative use of a hanged man's rope that I have ever seen!

Also love your write up!

I'm glad you like it. I'm curious now about what the three things are. When I got the gallows, I didn't want to use them in any way that was violent, depressing or related to death, so I found this pose in my required pose set and figured out the crazy leg exercise scheme.

I encourage others to try your style. It is very freeing to do something entirely different from what you normally render. It was fun. I only have two more entries allowed and there are still so many volunteers to do. It will be hard to choose. I'll sadly have to leave someone out.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Zawarkal said:

Also love your write up!

I'm glad you like it. I'm curious now about what the three things are. When I got the gallows, I didn't want to use them in any way that was violent, depressing or related to death, so I found this pose in my required pose set and figured out the crazy leg exercise scheme.

I encourage others to try your style. It is very freeing to do something entirely different from what you normally render. It was fun. I only have two more entries allowed and there are still so many volunteers to do. It will be hard to choose. I'll sadly have to leave someone out.

okay, okay.... even though I am 50 my skin does not have the wrinkles that one might normally expect so I would have to suggest, lol, that is the reason your skin overlay did not appear to be too easily visible, you picked the correct hair style for me, and for reasons unmentioned the Bollywood theme as suggested

yes I am glad that you chose to stay away from the negative energies, the only time anyone will find me trying to work in those energies is when there is a prize that I would really like a chance to have - or - in the case of duality images in which you must show the dark to contrast with the light

I'm happy you enjoyed working in this style. It was fun to see how others view my images. I generally do not draw many comments from the field so I really never know how I am being perceived. I wasn't even sure that I had a style though I have been working to try and create one.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    edited December 1969

@Luci - very nice entry again and I relly love the way you hook it to the old contest renders.
    @Scott - You brought and twisted Jaderails story around in a great way.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139
    edited December 1969

@Luci45 - your "barbult" looks spot-on (she seems to like it, anyway!) - great entry.
    @Scott-Livingston - funnily enough I'd just been over in Art Studio and spotted Jaderail's story there - this really fits well!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I certainly had fun with it.

barbult said:
    Scott, you are quite a story teller. You're giving Ken a run for the money. I can't really detect the toon aspect of the render, probably because i don't have a regular version to compare with. It is a very interesting composition, with Jaderail up close in the corner like that.

Here's the non-ToonCam version...not for the contest, just for comparison purposes. I think I prefer it overall, but the Toon version, to me, has more of a comic-book feel (especially Jade's skin).

Exile-SilentNight-Alt.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 658K
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

I've been involuntarily incommunicado all weekend (satellite modem went T-U on me), and was only able to follow the thread on my iPhone. So participating in the conversation would have been just too awkward! But I'm back now! (And if you want to take that as a threat, then feel free!)

barbult said:

obanion #04 “Is There Something You Haven’t Told Me…?” - Is that a whip in the bed?! Yikes. As if shackles aren't scary enough! Young Totte better run for the door. You say this is based on personal experience? Yikes, again! I like the clothes strewn about the floor and Totte's shocked expression.

Close enough; it's a riding crop.

And yes, back in my Austin days, I made the acquaintance of a delightful lady. We met at my local 'watering hole', and became rather good friends. And she was..., a professional dominatrix.

obanion #05 “Don’t Quit Your Day Job?” I Wish! - You got your wish to draw Jack's items so you could mock - uh - honor him. I'm impressed by all the work you did to dress up the diners and set the elegant table. Thanks for rendering at a larger size to show off the detail. It does help. Who is the disgruntled lady with her arms crossed?

Actually, it wasn't quite the random mix I was hoping for, but I figured this was as close as I was going to get.

And the snooty-looking lady was the date of the guy "Jack" is raking over the coals. I was looking for an 'annoyed' V4 expression, but this was all I could find...!

obanion #06 Her Other Passion - “artistic nudity”? Where? Where? :) I guess you handled it successfully. TOS police didn't take it down. I'd like to see the Canvas that Karibou painted...

The 'artistic nudity' is in the painting leaning against the wall. (It's also where two of my pulled items are, too.)

And the reason the POV is what it is, is because I really didn't want to do yet another scene to use to texture the second canvas. So, yeah..., it's blank.

I goofed up in the 'story' part, though; I should have added yet another line by Karibou: "There! Perfect! Okay, lose the skirt!" It would have given the story a bit of extra zing, you know? Ah, well, life is full of missed opportunities....

Anyway, thanks for the comments; I do appreciate them.

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited March 2014

Gopherus #3
    Ken Obanions Last Boat to Lisbon

Pulled:
    Long Snouted Dragon
    Dies Nefastus
    Ultimate Changing Ponytail
    Steamboat Machine

Alexis pondered Ken s parting words...
    "I m saying it because it s true, inside of us we both know that you belong with Martin. You re part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that boat leaves and you re not on it, you ll regret it, maybe not today and maybe not not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life. We ll always have Texas. We didn t have, we lost it until you came to Texas. We got it back last night. Alexis, I m not good at being noble, but it doesn t take much to see that the problems of 3 little people don t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you ll understand that.

"You’re good. You’re very good. I ll have some rotten nights after I send you away but that ll pass. If all I said doesn t mean anything to you then forget it and we ll make it just this ... we can t because all of me wants to regardless of consequences.
    You must take the Dragon to Guttman. For it s the stuff that dreams are made of."

But Alexis s present problem was that the oil pump on the Nyanga was no good at all. To locate, bargain for and install a new one would require more than a day but less than a fortnight.

And she must get down the Ulanga to the lake, where she could catch the Louisa. Charlie Allnut had promised to help.

And afterwards... perhaps a rest in the Florida Keys...

edited to add “You’re good. You’re very good." thanks Barbult

ken003.jpg
    1250 x 1000 - 659K
    Post edited by Gopherus on
    edited December 1969

@Luci45 #5 Lol! Another good one. Nice color! Eventually avatars start to look like their users. And vice versa!
    @Scott Livingston Love your solution to the problem of how to show expressions of both sides of a situation with one camera shot.
    Nice one!

Next pull:
    Happy Camper V4
    Mermaid Girl
    Frangipani V4
    Summertime Grill

Girls and Grills!

edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    Gopherus #3

Pulled:
    Long Snouted Dragon
    Dies Nefastus
    Steamboat Machine

"I m saying it because it s true, inside of us we both know that you belong with Martin. You re part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that boat leaves and you re not on it, you ll regret it, maybe not today and maybe not not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life. We ll always have Texas. We didn t have, we lost it until you came to Texas. We got it back last night. Alexis, I m not good at being noble, but it doesn t take much to see that the problems of 3 little people don t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you ll understand that.

"I ll have some rotten nights after I send you away but that ll pass. If all I said doesn t mean anything to you then forget it and we ll make it just this ... we can t because all of me wants to regardless of consequences.
    You must take the Dragon to Guttman. For it s the stuff that dreams are made of."

But Alexis s present problem was that the oil pump on the Nyanga was no good at all. To locate, bargain for and install a new one would require more than a day but less than a fortnight.

And she must get down the Ulanga to the lake, where she could catch the Louisa. Charlie Allnut had promised to help.

Great one, gopherus! Although....

And here I was, basking in an abundance of insufferable smugness over finally getting the girl! Only to find myself getting all noble and giving her back! Oh, well.... Probably for the best. (I can be a little hard to take in large doses!)

Great atmosphere, too!

edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    Gopherus #3

Pulled:
    Long Snouted Dragon
    Dies Nefastus
    Steamboat Machine

"I ll have some rotten nights after I send you away but that ll pass. If all I said doesn t mean anything to you then forget it and we ll make it just this ... we can t because all of me wants to regardless of consequences.

What a fabulous mashup!! "You're good. You're very good. "
    I am sad about Ken and Alexis, though, after I went to all that work to get them together. "Parting is such sweet sorrow." Oops - wrong quote source. :P
    edited December 1969

-- SNIP--
    I goofed up in the 'story' part, though; I should have added yet another line by Karibou: "There! Perfect! Okay, lose the skirt!" It would have given the story a bit of extra zing, you know? Ah, well, life is full of missed opportunities....

I don't know of any rule against editing your story. I think you should add the extra zing. It would be more Ken-like. I was actually kind of expecting something like that in the story, based on the picture.
    edited December 1969

Hey, gopherus, the rest of us have been putting our stories as well as pictures in the voting thread. I noticed you only have the pictures there. Maybe you can add the stories, too.

edited December 1969

Thanks Ken and Barbult

"C'est moi! C'est moi", Ken blushes to disclose.
    For he's far too noble to lie.
    He gave her a night then sent her away
    "C'est moi, c'est moi, 'tis I."

For Alexis it was the most important day of her life
    but for Ken it was tuesday

Excellent Barbult that should be at the start of the falcon segment
    And I ll add the prose to the other thread
    Thanks for the suggestion

edited March 2014

gopherus said:

Men!
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

lol!
    Raul Julia, specifially, but to remember it, it must have some truth
    or we wish that it did

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    -- SNIP--

I don't know of any rule against editing your story. I think you should add the extra zing. It would be more Ken-like. I was actually kind of expecting something like that in the story, based on the picture.

In that case..., I'm going to do it!

edited December 1969

Pull #2

974 Tomb of Helena
    560 Mad Doctor for Genesis Male
    373 Genesis 2 Male Clone for Genesis
    445 Herdbeast

edited December 1969

I'm happy you like it, barbult. Muck's adventure was memorable and started the whole story thing, launching us into yet rarer realms of crazy.
    Scott-Livingston, Wow, I like both renders. I see a very subtle difference in contrast so that Jaderail's face in the cartoon-camera one stands out a little more. Cool story too.

gopherus, Ken Obanions Last Boat to Lisbon is just nutty! (as is the banter that follows.) It took a little research to refresh my memory about the other two movies. Anyway, perfect for Ken. I hope he appreciates his ongoing "roast." "for Ken it was tuesday" Priceless. Strange thing about avatars and their owners (or do they own us?) Is that a fish and a fox on your tortoise's shell?

This is a very fun RRRR!

edited December 1969

Luci45, I've been meaning to ask you - how did you get clothes on the bird (me)?

edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    Thanks Ken and Barbult

"C'est moi! C'est moi", Ken blushes to disclose.
    For he's far too noble to lie.
    He gave her a night then sent her away
    "C'est moi, c'est moi, 'tis I."

Excellent Barbult that should be at the start of the falcon segment
    And I ll add the prose to the other thread
    Thanks for the suggestion

Ah, yes -- Camelot.

I saw a revival of that play a few years ago, in Seattle (at the 5th Avenue Theatre, if memory serves), with Michael York as King Arthur.

That was the production that put an end to the partnership of Lerner and Loewe; they never worked together after that collaboration, the never-ending problems with the production actually put one of them in the hospital (I can't recall if it was Alan Jay Lerner or Frederick Loewe, and I'm too lazy to bother Googling it right now), and very nearly did the same to Julie Andrews (she was also starring on Broadway in My Fair Lady at the time, as well, and having to shuttle back and forth between two theatres, in two dramatically different plays and roles).

Yeah, I totally kill at Trivial Pursuit!