Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,061
    ooofest said:

I received a response from Daz Support recently and they recommended removing Octane from my system to alleviate the Daz hang-at-shutdown issue, because:

. . . Octane is a third party plugin and we do no offer support for them, nor can we guarantee that they will work with Daz Studio without causing any issues. I apologize for the inconvenience.

To say I am a bit disappointed with this response is putting it mildly.  I'm not going to remove the Octane plugin because it makes me far more efficient with Daz, offers easy interoperability with my Poser+Octane scenes and I like the results with Octane more than Iray.

Guess I'll have to live with Daz Studio not shutting down properly going forward . . . or, if there are additional problems because I use the Octane plugin, hope those turn out to not be fatal ones.  It's feels fragile to know that plugins such as Octane are considered too foreign to keep on the same system as Daz.

Have you opened a trouble ticket with Otoy? IIRC, it's their plugin and they're the only ones who can fix it.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    dawnblade said:

@oofest, the other issue that occurs when Octane is enabled (not even in use but just enabled) is with instancing. See the first post about UltraScenery, which is a recent and very popular landscape creation tool for Daz Studio, and it makes heavy use of instances, for grass, leaves, etc. Some users have experienced issues with DS freezing up or taking very long to generate the scene when Octane is enabled.

I really like using UltraScenery and other products that make use of instances, so I just keep Octane disabled until I want to create a scene using Octane (that doesn't include instances), then I'll enable it.

I don't have Octane installed and I get both the long delay until DS shuts down correctly and the long generating times of Ultra scenery, its not just Octane causing problems and to keep blaming Octane means the probllem will not be recognise nor fixed.

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 506

I have a lot of crashes with 4.12.1.17 and two open tickets without reply. To make things worse, I get an error that doesn't allow me to uninstall / reinstall (one of the tickets).

I'm running on Win 10 64-bit, Nvidia GTX1060 with 6 GB, latest drivers. With each new Daz update since 4.10 the size of the scenes I can render decreases.

Maybe Daz should be open and tell us not to run 4.12 unless having an RTX card?

Used to buy a lot of props but will stop until this gets fixed / clarified.

• ooofestooofest Posts: 36
    edited May 2020
    dawnblade said:

@oofest, the other issue that occurs when Octane is enabled (not even in use but just enabled) is with instancing. See the first post about UltraScenery, which is a recent and very popular landscape creation tool for Daz Studio, and it makes heavy use of instances, for grass, leaves, etc. Some users have experienced issues with DS freezing up or taking very long to generate the scene when Octane is enabled.

I really like using UltraScenery and other products that make use of instances, so I just keep Octane disabled until I want to create a scene using Octane (that doesn't include instances), then I'll enable it.

Thanks, those are probably two difference issues, I suspect.  In my case here, when Daz is closed and Octane's plugin is installed, Daz won't shut fully down - only the UI disappears but its process remains.  The Octane plugin Developer has checked the issue and found Octane to be unloaded fully, so they asked us to take this up with Daz, also because this issue only happens since a recent Daz version and is not dependent on the Octane version.

Daz deciding to not even look at the issue was something of a shock, frankly.  I suggested they try to recreate the scenario with the free Octane plugin for Daz from Otoy and provided the link, but since they blankly suggested that anything involving third party plugins is not in their area of interest - even if it seems Daz is the one behaving differently/badly - then I guess this years-old integration with Octane is something they seek to discourage.

On the instances issue you described . . . I haven't purchased that script yet but have used UltraScatter Pro with Octane and have seen no issues when generating a good number of instances, e.g., leaves or trees in a landscape.  Since Octane picks up on new/changed items in a scene to enable dynamic material conversions (depending on your setup), there is always a delay while it "catches up" with a scene where many instances have just been generated, so perhaps that might be related to the delay you mentioned with UltraScenery.

I create scenes using Octane as my renderer 95% of the time with Daz, disabling it doesn't help me here.

Post edited by ooofest on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    ooofest said:
    dawnblade said:

Thanks, those are probably two difference issues, I suspect.  In my case here, when Daz is closed and Octane's plugin is installed, Daz won't shut fully down - only the UI disappears but its process remains.  The Octane plugin Developer has checked the issue and found Octane to be unloaded fully, so they asked us to take this up with Daz, also because this issue only happens since a recent Daz version and is not dependent on the Octane version.

Daz deciding to not even look at the issue was something of a shock, frankly.  I suggested they try to recreate the scenario with the free Octane plugin for Daz from Otoy and provided the link, but since they blankly suggested that anything involving third party plugins is not in their area of interest - even if it seems Daz is the one behaving differently/badly - then I guess this years-old integration with Octane is something they seek to discourage.

On the instances issue you described . . . I haven't purchased that script yet but have used UltraScatter Pro with Octane and have seen no issues when generating a good number of instances, e.g., leaves or trees in a landscape.  Since Octane picks up on new/changed items in a scene to enable dynamic material conversions (depending on your setup), there is always a delay while it "catches up" with a scene where many instances have just been generated, so perhaps that might be related to the delay you mentioned with UltraScenery.

I create scenes using Octane as my renderer 95% of the time with Daz, disabling it doesn't help me here.

Thirdparty plug-ins are things Daz cannot support, they have no access to the code. We don't know what, if anything, is happening beyond our sight. This is why we ask people not to post CS responses, it's very easy to read more or less than is intended.

edited May 2020
    namffuak said:
    ooofest said:

I received a response from Daz Support recently and they recommended removing Octane from my system to alleviate the Daz hang-at-shutdown issue, because:

. . . Octane is a third party plugin and we do no offer support for them, nor can we guarantee that they will work with Daz Studio without causing any issues. I apologize for the inconvenience.

To say I am a bit disappointed with this response is putting it mildly.  I'm not going to remove the Octane plugin because it makes me far more efficient with Daz, offers easy interoperability with my Poser+Octane scenes and I like the results with Octane more than Iray.

Guess I'll have to live with Daz Studio not shutting down properly going forward . . . or, if there are additional problems because I use the Octane plugin, hope those turn out to not be fatal ones.  It's feels fragile to know that plugins such as Octane are considered too foreign to keep on the same system as Daz.

Have you opened a trouble ticket with Otoy? IIRC, it's their plugin and they're the only ones who can fix it.

ooofest said:
    dawnblade said:

Thirdparty plug-ins are things Daz cannot support, they have no access to the code. We don't know what, if anything, is happening beyond our sight. This is why we ask people not to post CS responses, it's very easy to read more or less than is intended.

This seems odd: I was told to place a Support ticket after checking with Otoy first about version 4.12.1.17 of Daz not properly shutting down when any version of the Octane plugin was installed.  This only happened since version 4.12.1.17.  Since Otoy said that they are fully unloaded during the process, they can't debug further since it's in Daz' code, presumably.

Now I'm being told that submitting a ticket was useless because the mention of a third-party plugin raises the spectre of "no support for such."

I realize Daz Studio is free, but this is more than a little disappointing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Can you test uninstalling the Octane plugin to see if the problem is still there?

edited May 2020

Can you test uninstalling the Octane plugin to see if the problem is still there?

Yes, I've tried this various ways but uninstalling the Octane plugin for that particular Daz install (of 4.12.1.17 or later) relieves it from hanging on its shutdown. There may still be a long wait for it to clear the process, but it at least does clear eventually. That does not occur when the Octane plugin is installed for it.

If the Octane plugin is installed for a different Daz instance and not another on the same system (e.g., having a general release and a public build), then only the one with the plugin installed will stall on its shutdown.

Octane can be running as a plugin in Poser, Blender, standalone, etc. and has no effect on running Daz instances or their ability to shut down.

This symptom only started since Daz 4.12.1.17.

This is actually easy to test, because Octane for Daz is free for personal use: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    ooofest said:

Yes, I've tried this various ways but uninstalling the Octane plugin for that particular Daz install (of 4.12.1.17 or later) relieves it from hanging on its shutdown. There may still be a long wait for it to clear the process, but it at least does clear eventually. That does not occur when the Octane plugin is installed for it.

If the Octane plugin is installed for a different Daz instance and not another on the same system (e.g., having a general release and a public build), then only the one with the plugin installed will stall on its shutdown.

Octane can be running as a plugin in Poser, Blender, standalone, etc. and has no effect on running Daz instances or their ability to shut down.

This symptom only started since Daz 4.12.1.17.

This is actually easy to test, because Octane for Daz is free for personal use: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/

Set up a sandboxed install of DS 4.12.0.086 and DS 4.12.1.117 - each with Octane loaded - and found the same behavior as you: Closing 4.12.0.086 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process closing and memory resources being released almost immediately. Closing 4.12.1.117 + Octane results in the Daz Studio process migrating to background processes and memory resources continuing to be used seemingly indefinitely (which then leads to new instances of DS on the default General release channel being blocked from launching.)

As to who/what is at fault...

This is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.0.086 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 17:52:54.501 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.576 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:54.814 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmaps_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.010 Loaded image g8fbaselegsmapb_1003.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.205 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmapb_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.450 Loaded image g8fbasearmsmaps_1004.jpg2020-05-19 17:52:55.505 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 17:53:40.599 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.2020-05-19 17:53:42.117 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 17:53:42.314 DEBUG: End DAZ Studio to Hexagon Bridge log...2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 --------------- DAZ Studio 4.12.0.86 exited ------------------2020-05-19 17:53:42.544 ~

And this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 17:59:08.596 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.738 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.765 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.802 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.832 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:08.979 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.009 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.231 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomaps_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.400 Loaded image g8fbasetorsomapb_1002.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.655 Loaded image g8fbasefacemaps_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.860 Loaded image g8fbasefacemapb_1001.jpg2020-05-19 17:59:09.925 Loaded image g8fbasemouthmapb_1005.jpg

And, finally, this is the final dozen lines of the changelog from 4.12.1.117 + Octane after loading/rendering a scene in the Octane viewport, loading a new blank scene in the DS interface, and then closing Daz Studio:

2020-05-19 18:22:24.407 Loaded image g8fbaseeyesb_1007.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.454 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.590 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.616 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.662 Loaded image Top_TopMain_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.683 Loaded image Top_Straps_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.715 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Metallic.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.744 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Roughness.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.769 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Height.jpg2020-05-19 18:22:24.894 Loaded image Top_Skirt_Normal.jpg2020-05-19 18:23:39.450 *** Scene Cleared ***2020-05-19 18:23:48.386 Iray [INFO] - IRT:RENDER ::   1.1   IRT    rend info : Shutting down irt render plugin.

Either Daz Studio or the Octane plugin clearly isn't getting some sort of expected response from the other needed to complete the shutdown process. And given that the Iray plugin clearly is getting whatever communique it needs in at least one of these final two test cases, I'm inclined to believe that this is a fault with the Octane plugin and not Daz Studio itself.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    edited May 2020

how do I find the new release version in dim?  don't have a clue

edited to add....when I try to dl ds from the link in this thread, it takes me to a page that wants me to register. I go down to login, and it does nothing. The link doesn't work.

Post edited by sapat on

Make sure your DIM download filters include Software, Plugin, your OS and bit depth, and Public Build if you want the Beta.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Make sure your DIM download filters include Software, Plugin, your OS and bit depth, and Public Build if you want the Beta.

And you have to have "bought" it (it's free) here:

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

• Bobeagle77Bobeagle77 Posts: 164

I downloaded DAZStudio_4.12.1.117_Win64. I have encounter an issue which causes some morph not to save as "scene" properly during an animation scene. Example: I made an animation scene from 1 to 30 frames. In frame 0 his stomach is flat, frame 15 his stomach is inflated, and in from 30 his stomach is flat again. Next I goto File- Save or File- Save as- Scene. Stomach morph does not appear when I load scene. I install previous DAZStudio_4.12.0.86_Win64. I dont have this problem. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

Computer everything uptodate and specs: Windows 10 (64 bit) Primary Display Resolution: 3840 x 2160
    AMD Custom Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor At 3.4Ghz
    Custom Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics 8Gb Memory: RAM 24Gb

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,899

I downloaded DAZStudio_4.12.1.117_Win64. I have encounter an issue which causes some morph not to save as "scene" properly during an animation scene. Example: I made an animation scene from 1 to 30 frames. In frame 0 his stomach is flat, frame 15 his stomach is inflated, and in from 30 his stomach is flat again. Next I goto File- Save or File- Save as- Scene. Stomach morph does not appear when I load scene. I install previous DAZStudio_4.12.0.86_Win64. I dont have this problem. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

Computer everything uptodate and specs: Windows 10 (64 bit) Primary Display Resolution: 3840 x 2160

When you saved the scene, which key in the timeline was selected?

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I was having many problems with this horrible new version, keyframes dropping, not being saved, puppeteer problems, crashing. I never had these problems before now. So I just downgraded to 4.12.86 but now the mimic plugin will not work. It says the plug in is for a new version of Daz Studio, even though I downgraded to a version which is still tecnically 4.12. So how do I get a working plugin for mimic again? I tried reinstalling mimc through DIm and also looked for manual download in my product library, but there is only the one version for Win64, unless they renamed the old one the BETA? What am I supposed to do here?

TGSNT said:

I was having many problems with this horrible new version, keyframes dropping, not being saved, puppeteer problems, crashing. I never had these problems before now. So I just downgraded to 4.12.86 but now the mimic plugin will not work. It says the plug in is for a new version of Daz Studio, even though I downgraded to a version which is still tecnically 4.12. So how do I get a working plugin for mimic again? I tried reinstalling mimc through DIm and also looked for manual download in my product library, but there is only the one version for Win64, unless they renamed the old one the BETA? What am I supposed to do here?

The Daz3D plugins are specific to the exact version.  You need to back up the corresponding plugin zips as well as the Daz Studio zip.

• edited May 2020

they should really just make Daz Studio open source, imagine how much better it would be if you had a whole community working on it?

Post edited by Mister Daddy Longlegs on

they should really just make Daz Studio open source, imagine how much better it would be if you had a whole community working on it?

Ignoring the likely licensing issues, how many of the community are currently writing even scripts, let alone plug-ins?

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

don't go there - with the docs as they are, is there any wonder the external involvement is sparse as it currently is.

reverse engineering and API guesstimation isn't the optimal S/W development paradigm.

mom always said "do it right or not at all", and while this system has potential and value, it wouldn't take much more to help it *much* more.

yah yah, I know, my post deletion is pending - used to it already.

--ms

edited May 2020

For the stomach inflation animation, I selected Frame 0 "Belly size" 0, Frame 15 "Belly size" 100, Frame 30 "Belly size" 0. I can play the loop animation fine. But the problem is that the animation morph for stomach was not saved. Rest of animation was saved fine when loaded back into a new scene. Is this a bug or glitch?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

For the stomach inflation animation, I selected Frame 0 "Belly size" 0, Frame 15 "Belly size" 100, Frame 30 "Belly size" 0. I can play the loop animation fine. But the problem is that the animation morph for stomach was not saved. Rest of animation was saved fine when loaded back into a new scene. Is this a bug or glitch?

I'm not sure, but the question may have been about what was selected in the Timeline pane rather than which properties were used.

I'm not sure, but the question may have been about what was selected in the Timeline pane rather than which properties were used.

Correct.

Reload the original scene, make sure that the animation is working. Now select the Frame 0 key and save. Reload and see if the animation is still working.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

Created and rendered in Daz 4.12.0.85 in Iray .

Great Northwest Pond Hopper.

Click to play 3 min animation, Best viewed in 1080hd

edited May 2020

Correct.

Reload the original scene, make sure that the animation is working. Now select the Frame 0 key and save. Reload and see if the animation is still working.

Oh, my bad. I get it. When I saved scenes, I always select frame 0 and then save or save as. In this animation scene I am using a Genesis 3 character, the Girl 7. Let me download DAZStudio_4.12.1.117_Win64 again. I Tested it again, belly morph is not saved. When I go to previous DAZStudio_4.12.0.86_Win64, this problem does not exist. I can save animation with no problem in version DAZStudio_4.12.0.86_Win64.

Post edited by Bobeagle77 on
  • Deadly BudaDeadly Buda Posts: 155

Where can I get the Launch Instance.dse script? It seems the link to the attachment in the thread is broken.

Where can I get the Launch Instance.dse script? It seems the link to the attachment in the thread is broken.

At the end of the post

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

Seems to be downloading for me

• Deadly BudaDeadly Buda Posts: 155

At the end of the post

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696

Seems to be downloading for me

Thanky you! The link is working for me now. For some reason it wasn't working for me earlier.

• DazzlemeDazzleme Posts: 23
    edited May 2020

Im not having any problems with the latest update out recently..in fact..my renders are MUCH MUCH faster than before...before the update I used to have trouble with the render settings using a mixture of cpu and gpu..(1080TI SC) ..now..it JUST uses the GPU and when I tick the box, nothing comes unticked..its not using the cpu to render.which is making the renders extremely fast...I know my card is growing outdated..but waiting for the 3080TI later this year..going to bypass the 2080TI

Post edited by Dazzleme on
  • DazzlemeDazzleme Posts: 23
    Ivy said:

Thats amazing..Im probably YEARS off from even attempting that ;(

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    Dazzleme said:
    Ivy said:

Thats amazing..Im probably YEARS off from even attempting that ;(

Thank you for the nice comment.  I just make it look easy laugh. but i have been just using daz studio for animation for years so I have a little head start on you :)