Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,990
    The version of Iray in the latest build requires fairly recent drivers

Does anyone else see a problem ahead if this trend continues? We've got a constantly moving target of "very recent minimum driver version" every time D|S gets a new Iray update, and not everyone that was working happily with Iray is going to have an NVidia card capable of using that minimum version.

Yeah, they definately need to get that more forgiving generic Filament Renderer out so they can always move iRay forward. If not, then really why bother ever updating DAZ Studio again ever?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,550
    SimonJM said:
    barbult said:
    dawnblade said:

Just to note that DS is still in memory at over an hour for me. Nothing to speak of in the log file. It seems the range mentioned here varies from 5 min. to 30 min., but since mine is always in memory, that is why I end it in TM if I want to use DS again.

What are your system specifications, what security software are you using? What third party plug ins do you have installed, and have you tried disabling them http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start

I don't know how to usa this script. What does this sample script do, if I run it as it is? Does it just show what plugins are enabled, or does it change what is enabled? 

The script 'manually' disables all plugins excpet ones with DAZ as author (so Reality, OCDS, etc.) and also any named Animate2. When you restart Daz Studio a few (depending on ow many you have) will be disabled.  You can, then, re-enable them as you wish and they wqill stay enabled.  A restart of DS may be needed to activate things.

Thank you, SimonJM.

• miki3dmiki3d Posts: 12

Hi there!

After the update when I save a scene some keyframes get lost.
    Someone else with the same problem?

Thanks

• evacynevacyn Posts: 963

Is there a fix or work-around for the stutter/delay that happens when moving within the viewport using the keyboard? It used to be instanteous in the last version, but now it pauses for a second after I use the W-A-S-D keys.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    edited May 2020

So when can we expect an actual update on the highlights threads for this release? The only one completed is the DS 4.12.1.109 version, that's two versions ago!

It is in progress.

Thanks, it's good to know that it's still being worked on at least!

Go into your Draw Settings for Iray and adjust and change the Manipulation Resolution to Normal. Same thing was happening to me too.

Now where, and how can you do that?

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,302

I can't get a PostgreSQL CMS connection. I've whitelisted everything Daz with my firewall, network and anti-virus. I've even disabled them in order to try and connect. I've uninstalled and resinstalled, no luck. 

Annotation 2020-05-07 132003.png
    510 x 135 - 11K
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

@Timbales I get this once in a while too. Restarting DS usually works.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,142
    Timbales said:

I can't get a PostgreSQL CMS connection. I've whitelisted everything Daz with my firewall, network and anti-virus. I've even disabled them in order to try and connect. I've uninstalled and resinstalled, no luck. 

That usually happens when starting DAZ Studio right after closing either DIM or the previous session of DAZ Studio. If that isn't the case, please attach the DS log.

Timbales said:

That usually happens when starting DAZ Studio right after closing either DIM or the previous session of DAZ Studio. If that isn't the case, please attach the DS log.

I've attached the log file. I restarted my computer and tried to open Daz twice, getting the connection error each time. 

txt
    txt
    log 5-7-2020.txt
    1M
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,304
    The version of Iray in the latest build requires fairly recent drivers

Does anyone else see a problem ahead if this trend continues? We've got a constantly moving target of "very recent minimum driver version" every time D|S gets a new Iray update, and not everyone that was working happily with Iray is going to have an NVidia card capable of using that minimum version.

It's not like Daz has a choice there if they want to get the fixes or new features in Iray. Nvidia develops Iray, and sometimes the changes they implement in Iray also require changes in the drivers, hence the "moving minimum version".

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Leana said:
    It's not like Daz has a choice there if they want to get the fixes or new features in Iray. Nvidia develops Iray, and sometimes the changes they implement in Iray also require changes in the drivers, hence the "moving minimum version".

I know, but does the limit have to be quite so recent? The range of NVidia cards that could support Iray in DAZ|Studio was a lot wider when it was first introduced (in I think D|S 4.9) than it is now.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Leana said:

I know, but does the limit have to be quite so recent? The range of NVidia cards that could support Iray in DAZ|Studio was a lot wider when it was first introduced (in I think D|S 4.9) than it is now.

Was it?  AFAIK only Fermi cards were dropped (for Windows; I consider the Apple/Nvidea feud a separate issue.)

edited May 2020
    Timbales said:
    Timbales said:

I've attached the log file. I restarted my computer and tried to open Daz twice, getting the connection error each time.

You are using Windows 64 bit, so I assume you have DAZ Studio x64 installed. PostgreSQL, is that also 64bit, or 32bit? If it is 64bit, then try resetting the database. Start DS, click on the hambuger menu on the Content Library pane, select Content DB Maintenance. Check the last option: Reset Database. Close DS when it's done, wait a min or so and restart DS. If the error doesn't appear, go to Content DB Maintenance again and select Re-Import Metadata.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    Timbales said:
    Timbales said:

You are using Windows 64 bit, so I assume you have DAZ Studio x64 installed. PostgreSQL, is that also 64bit, or 32bit? If it is 64bit, then try resetting the database. Start DS, click on the hambuger menu on the Content Library pane, select Content DB Maintenance. Check the last option: Reset Database. Close DS when it's done, wait a min or so and restart DS. If the error doesn't appear, go to Content DB Maintenance again and select Re-Import Metadata.

That did it. Thank you so much for the help.

So when can we expect an actual update on the highlights threads for this release? The only one completed is the DS 4.12.1.109 version, that's two versions ago!

It is in progress.

Go into your Draw Settings for Iray and adjust and change the Manipulation Resolution to Normal. Same thing was happening to me too.

I don't think there is any draw setting called "Manipulation Resolution" with a setting of "Normal". The poser was probably paraphrasing from memory. In the Draw Settings pane there is a section for Manipulation and a control for "Manipulation Binding". The choices are "Full" and "Optimized".  To see all this, go to the Window menu and select Panes (Tabs) and select Draw Settings. When the Draw Settings pane opens, expand General to see the subsections. Click Manipulation and you will see the controls. I use Manipulation Binding of Full.

Screenshot 2020-05-07 16.04.43.png
    567 x 412 - 31K
  • RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,128
    edited May 2020
    barbult said:

It is in progress.

I don't think there is any draw setting called "Manipulation Resolution" with a setting of "Normal".

There is. It's at Simulation Draw Settings > Editor (Draw Style: Nvidia Iray) > Drawing > Manipulation Resolution

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited May 2020
    RayDAnt said:
    barbult said:

RayDAnt said:
    barbult said:

It is in progress.

I don't think there is any draw setting called "Manipulation Resolution" with a setting of "Normal".

There is. It's at Simulation Settings > Editor (Draw Style: Nvidia Iray) > Drawing > Manipulation Resolution

Simulation Settings?

Post edited by barbult on
  • rto3drto3d Posts: 22

Hi,

jrapp11 said:

I submitted a ticket last week on 4.12.1.117 last week. I installed it now I can't view in NAIDIA mode and renrers are all black. I went back into the Install Manager and the new version was listed again. When I tried to install it again I got an error about the Microsoft Visual C++  redistributable (x64) and it supposedly reinstalled it. But I still have the same issue. I think I am on the public build and not the Beta. I'm still waiting to hear back.

had the same issue as well.

Updating the graphis cards driver finally did the trick.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,955
    barbult said:

It is in progress.

I don't think there is any draw setting called "Manipulation Resolution" with a setting of "Normal". The poser was probably paraphrasing from memory. In the Draw Settings pane there is a section for Manipulation and a control for "Manipulation Binding". The choices are "Full" and "Optimized".  To see all this, go to the Window menu and select Panes (Tabs) and select Draw Settings. When the Draw Settings pane opens, expand General to see the subsections. Click Manipulation and you will see the controls. I use Manipulation Binding of Full.

Thanks for this, I did not even know that this tab even existed!

RayDAnt said:
    barbult said:

It is in progress.

There is. It's at Simulation Draw Settings > Editor (Draw Style: Nvidia Iray) > Drawing > Manipulation Resolution

Both of these suggestions are very useful, I thank you both for educating me/us about their existence/uses!

• Perhaps this has been asked numerous times before. And maybe even reported as an issue.

Something is wrong with the import function in Daz. The checkboxes supposed to invert the direction aren't working. It ends up being in the same position (respective to the axes). I tried to import the wavefront (obj) files only so can't say if it does with any other format or not. Is it me or is it that way for everyone? Should I report it as an issue if it is?

Perhaps this has been asked numerous times before. And maybe even reported as an issue.

Something is wrong with the import function in Daz. The checkboxes supposed to invert the direction aren't working. It ends up being in the same position (respective to the axes). I tried to import the wavefront (obj) files only so can't say if it does with any other format or not. Is it me or is it that way for everyone? Should I report it as an issue if it is?

Please provide a bit more details, e.g. what you are trying to import and what happens.

• peteanderson1212peteanderson1212 Posts: 75
    edited May 2020

Perhaps this has been asked numerous times before. And maybe even reported as an issue.

Please provide a bit more details, e.g. what you are trying to import and what happens.

Just a simple object created in Daz. I already saw some multiple posts about Daz-Blender export and how the rotation is messed up. I was trying to fix that up. Anyways, I'll cut to the chase. For the sake of this, I also tried exporting daz assets as obj and imported them back. 

I am talking about the invert positive direction here. While exporting, it works as intended to and it inverts the positive direction of an axis to negative. (Which works for blender). When I try to import it back again (whether previously I had it inverted, if I had it should be back to normal in daz if I selected that option for the same axis when importing it back), if I invert any of the axis direction, it doesn't invert the actual figure in Daz once import is finished. I attached some images below so that you can reproduce the steps too. 

Pics. 1-3: 1) Export settings (default Daz preset)

2) Import settings (default Daz preset + inverted Y axis)

3) Result - As you can see, the previous cone is hidden and the imported cone is in the same orientation, whereas the expected result should be the cone being inverted.

Pics 4-6: 1) Export settings (default Daz preset + inverted Y axis)

2) Import Settings (default Daz preset)

3) Resut - Cone got inverted, because I didn't invert it back again while importing. Expected result passed.

Pics 7-9: 1) Import settings (default Daz preset + inverted Y axis, using the same export as the previous step - importing the inverted cone)

2-3) Results - The cone imported back but is still inverted. I snapped two pics just to show that there's no changes made to the transformations of either except translating the previous imported cone, to show that both times they imported as is. Neglecting the negation of the axes directions in import settings. 

I did some more tests with other wavefront files (no other format was used so I don't know if it'll be similar with others or not) and found similar results. (tested with some cgaxis models)

For Blender's rotation I needed to reverse the X axis direction once again, which I am unable to while importing it back. If you need details for that I can provide in an edit, but since it's not related to blender I am omitting them from here. 

EDIT: Formatting.

2020-05-08_22h41_18.png
    891 x 597 - 134K
    2020-05-08_22h41_49.png
    458 x 470 - 61K
    2020-05-08_22h43_19.png
    458 x 470 - 59K
    2020-05-08_22h42_44.png
    996 x 605 - 138K
    2020-05-08_22h43_31.png
    1073 x 795 - 127K
    2020-05-08_22h42_02.png
    1001 x 689 - 102K
    2020-05-08_22h43_42.png
    458 x 470 - 60K
    2020-05-08_22h44_16.png
    1255 x 802 - 174K
    2020-05-08_22h44_24.png
    1247 x 812 - 174K
    Post edited by peteanderson1212 on

Please report it, providing the same steps as outlined in your post.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2020
    inquire said:

Check if the render is still in the daz temp folder (before restarting DS).  I think it's called r.png

And what is the DAZ Studio temp folder named? And where is it located?

I'm not sure what it would be in MacOSX, in Windows it's Users/[yourname]/Documents/DAZ 3D/DazTmp

Well, actually about this DAZTmp folder: DS 4.12.1.117 just crashed again for me (Macintosh version) as a render completed, and, no, there is nothing in the DAZTmp folder. I have not tried to start DS up again. I'll do that, just to see if somehow the render does show up.

OK, just restarted DS, and no, there is nothing in the DAZTmp folder. So, that's not even working.

Post edited by inquire on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Was it?  AFAIK only Fermi cards were dropped

I don't mean the card chip architecture, I mean the minimum driver version each time D|S gets a newer Iray version. It used to have a much larger margin between "the lowest that will work" and "latest bleeding-edge from NVidia", to allow for cards that could only use older drivers. Nowadays the margin is about -->.<-- that wide.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,128
    edited May 2020

Was it?  AFAIK only Fermi cards were dropped

I don't mean the card chip architecture, I mean the minimum driver version each time D|S gets a newer Iray version. It used to have a much larger margin between "the lowest that will work" and "latest bleeding-edge from NVidia", to allow for cards that could only use older drivers. Nowadays the margin is about -->.<-- that wide.

That's because raytracing performance (RTX) is one of the main areas under active development right now. And Iray is a raytraced renderer. Meaning that virtually every little driver change made right now has direct performance/compatibility consequences for Iray moreso than most other graphics apps.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,984

Any news about the timeline issues?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,453
    Imago said:

Any news about the timeline issues?

For news, keep an eye on the Change Log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 439
    edited May 2020

How do I keep my scripts from disappearing from the script menu?  I never had this problem before this last update. So many little quirky things since this last update.

Post edited by wscottart on
    wscottart said:

How do I keep my scripts from disappearing from the script menu?  I never had this problem before this last update. So many little quirky things since this last update.

Did you run the Window/Wokspace/Update and Merge Menus? That might help.