Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.0.94, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66
    edited May 2020

Yup I can confirm that updating my password worked - I had a 5 character all letter password since I first joined DAZ.

I should also note that usernames can no longer contain a '.' character.  It won't let you change the password until you fix that first.

Post edited by GaryH on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited May 2020

When I opened DIM this morning it came up with a dialog box that I needed to update. During the installation I got an error message that it didn't work and now when I try to open DIM I get this message:

How do I recover? Delete DIM, redownload and start again?

dim error.jpg
    572 x 139 - 33K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    RGcincy said:

When I opened DIM this morning it came up with a dialog box that I needed to update. During the installation I got an error message that it didn't work and now when I try to open DIM I get this message:

How do I recover? Delete DIM, redownload and start again?

I had to manually download a fresh install a couple of times, though the last two updates have worked for me. But yes, I would download a ffresh copy and isntall that.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

thanks Richard 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited May 2020

...bugger, not new issues.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Just updated my DIM.  On DIM open had the usual Update Pop-up.  Had not opened DIM for last 5 days or so.

Lucky or otherwise, update was smooth.  DLs were fine.  And close and re-open a 2nd time was fine too.

...so what is this "Daz Central"? (manually DLd a few items I just got in offline mode)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

Went to download something today and DIM was gone - no longer install.

What the hell is going on with DIM, first problems with passwords now this?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    scorpio said:

Not in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D or C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D?

scorpio said:

Not in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D or C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D?

No it wasn't there or anywhere on the computer, I had to download and install it.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    kyoto kid said:

...so what is this "Daz Central"? (manually DLd a few items I just got in offline mode)

Beta of a new content manager, primarily aimed at new users. There's a thread about it in the commons: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/407131/beta-for-dazcentral-your-new-content-manager/p1

edited May 2020

...thanks, don't even use the standard CMS so I can give that a miss. 

Meanwhile went to manually downloading content and moving teh Zips into the DIM content folder.  Tedious as I can only DL one item at a time instead of set up a whole queue during which I can go off and do other things instead of babysit the system, However, given the issues I've experienced since about four updates ago and reading about others now having issues with signing in, passwords etc (like I had been dealing with), just weary of having to troubleshoot for now.

The downside, won't be able to get any Public Betas of the core programme anymore (which tend to work more smoothly than the final releases).

kyoto kid said:

Meanwhile went to manually downloading content and moving teh Zips into the DIM content folder.  Tedious as I can only DL one item at a time instead of set up a whole queue during which I can go off and do other things instead of babysit the system, However, given the issues I've experienced since about four updates ago and reading about others now having issues with signing in, passwords etc (like I had been dealing with), just weary of having to troubleshoot for now.

The downside, won't be able to get any Public Betas of the core programme anymore (which tend to work more smoothly than the final releases).

The password issue is not DIM but store/account as far as I understand it

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    kyoto kid said:

That seems strange, since people said they could sign into the store but not DIM.

kyoto kid said:

....my current one seems to be working just fine with the store and forums.

barbult said:
    kyoto kid said:

That seems strange, since people said they could sign into the store but not DIM.

Yep I was able to log in and out of the store no problem, it was only DIM that wouldn't let me log.

I am begining to wonder if anyone actually knows what happened and to be honest this is concerning me about security.

....like I mentioned, I had this happen many months ago.  No issue with signing in and out of the store or the forums.  I finally discovered that when I unchecked the "remember me" box and signed in manually to the DIM it worked (of course after I fixed the .ini and manifest.json issues), but when I checked the "remember me" box again, I would get the "invalid account" error. 

kyoto kid said:

....like I mentioned, I had this happen many months ago.  No issue with signing in and out of the store or the forums.  I finally discovered that when I unchecked the "remember me" box and signed in manually to the DIM it worked (of course after I fixed the .ini and manifest.json issues), but when I checked the "remember me" box again, I would get the "invalid account" error. 

Oh. That rings a bell! I've had that remember me problem before, too.
  • DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    scorpio said:
    barbult said:
    kyoto kid said:

Yep I was able to log in and out of the store no problem, it was only DIM that wouldn't let me log.

I am begining to wonder if anyone actually knows what happened and to be honest this is concerning me about security.

This change was server side as part of a number of security improvements on the current store software. We have increased our minimum password length for new passwords to 7 characters. Since the webpages of the store website are protected by cloudflare so no-one could make a bulk-password attempt at users with short passwords we are allowing those passwords through on the store pages for a transition period to make it easier to update your password. For the DIM, Daz Connect and DazCentral calls, since those aren't running through a web browser we don't have quite as much protection for our users so we have chosen to require a stronger password when logging in there.

I know this seems a little scary, but we have not seen any successful hacking attempts and this is not in reaction to any particular attack. We are just updating our security to keep up with commonly accepted standards. I will recommend if you are changing your password to go with something over seven characters because I am guessing in a year or two we will be upping that limit once again.

Thank you for the explanation.

....hmm I already have a 16 character password which is fairly cryptic and is the same for the store, forums and DIM, so why should I need to create a new one? I don't use Connect nor go online through the Daz programme. 

kyoto kid said:

....hmm I already have a 16 character password which is fairly cryptic and is the same for the store, forums and DIM, so why should I need to create a new one? I don't use Connect nor go online through the Daz programme. 

You don't (though it is advised that you should occasioanlly change it). It's people with shorter passwords who need to update now.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2020

For my main passwords,  bank, grocery store, PayPal, etc I make myself nice long complicated passwords which mean  something to me, but not necessarily anyone else.  I change them when it gets to the stage that I can relliably remember the password without looking it up.

I have a cryptic set of notes for these passwords. I do not use any of the provided save password  utilities.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Chohole said:

For my main passwords,  bank, grocery store, PayPal, etc I make myself nice long complicated passwords which mean  something to me, but not necessarily anyone else.  I change them when it gets to the stage that I can relliably remember the password without looking it up.

I have a cryptic set of notes for these passwords. I do not use any of the provided save password  utilities.

I think we've discovered the origin of Welsh.

...laughyes

edited May 2020
    kyoto kid said:

You don't (though it is advised that you should occasioanlly change it). It's people with shorter passwords who need to update now.

..OK thank you as I insert it from a saved source each time I open the DIM to circumvent the issues I have when using the autofill login.

...well so much for that theory.  Apparently there is an update, so it's back to manually downloading each product from my Product Library and moving them to the IM downloads folder. as I am tired of having to go through to fix the .ini and manifest.JSON issues, as well as resetting all my preferences so content goes to the proper drive and folders.

DAZ_Rawb said:
    scorpio said:
    barbult said:
    kyoto kid said:

This change was server side as part of a number of security improvements on the current store software. We have increased our minimum password length for new passwords to 7 characters. Since the webpages of the store website are protected by cloudflare so no-one could make a bulk-password attempt at users with short passwords we are allowing those passwords through on the store pages for a transition period to make it easier to update your password. For the DIM, Daz Connect and DazCentral calls, since those aren't running through a web browser we don't have quite as much protection for our users so we have chosen to require a stronger password when logging in there.

I know this seems a little scary, but we have not seen any successful hacking attempts and this is not in reaction to any particular attack. We are just updating our security to keep up with commonly accepted standards. I will recommend if you are changing your password to go with something over seven characters because I am guessing in a year or two we will be upping that limit once again.

Thank you for the explanation but it really would have been nice to have had this info when I got locked out of DIM days ago, please if you do something like this even if you are not going to inform your customers prior to it happening please inform the staff and volunteers of the forums so they can inform us.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    Chohole said:

I use different passwords for each account/login I have, and use a centralised password storage mechanism called my brain - not quite up tp the crypticness of Cymru but not bad; if only I had more than one 'l' key ... cheeky

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

There is no way that I'm able to remember a password like ghY5%^$fgV! (not a real password) laugh

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

Question.  Will DAZ Central eventually replace DIM?  I see that in beta but I want to make sure what's going to happen.  If not why have three ways to install content, actually 4 if you manually download and install!  Seems a bit overkill to me!