Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 430

I do that by habit, after that last update all my scripts just simply are not there. So I am slowly going throught finding them and readding them a few at a time. Just trying to figure out why they were there one minute and gone the next.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

I can confirm I was having issue with Daz dropping from an active program to a background task upong shutdown which prevernted launching Daz again until old instance was ended by Taskmanager. Disabled the Octane plugin (not just not used it) and now daz is back to normal. Sounds like some sort of mismatch between Daz shutdown process and Octane plugin. Will leave it disabled until Otoy or Daz put their hand up to fix it.

David

Same here. DS is still in memory, but there is also CPU activity, and then DS ends in less than a min. When Octane is enabled, there is no CPU activity and DS stays in memory.

• DeathKnightDeathKnight Posts: 98
    evacyn said:

Is there a fix or work-around for the stutter/delay that happens when moving within the viewport using the keyboard? It used to be instanteous in the last version, but now it pauses for a second after I use the W-A-S-D keys.

Having the same issue with WASD scene navigation frown

• Are dissolve, diffuse color and diffuse texture/map all the values that MTL export writes when exporting out of daz? 

• edited May 2020

Crashes every time I hit save...

Edit; maybe a restart has ironed that out...?

Post edited by hepworthandrew_6975d83531 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

Crashes every time I hit save...

File>Save or ctrl-S?

• Crashes every time I hit save...

File>Save or ctrl-S?

Cmd-s

Stopped doing it for a few attempts, just crashed on save again.

For now use the menu command (File>Save) rather than the short cut, there is a fix for this issue in the change log for a future release.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Just had a really weird one which has, I think, been mentioned elsewhere.  This is on Win 7  Pro, 64-bit with updates (such as they now are) set to manual, latest version of public DS and DIM.  I was about to spark up DIM to downlaod and install soem stuff so shut DS.  Daz Studio dropped immediately w(which was a little surpruisng as I am used to apuase and then it going).  Waited a moment or two allow the database to close before starting DIM. Tabbed to another window (a browser) to do some stuff abd then looked foer DIM, ready to login.  No sign of DIM.  I could have sworn I'd double-clicked, so looked in Task manager.  An there they were, both DS and DIM. Processes with 0% CPU and static amoutn of RAM in use. Killed both, paused, started DIM.  No DIM active, just the process.  Killled the process, waited started DS.  No DS, just the splash-screen and the process.  Waited, waited, killed the process. Furrowed brow and did a LOT of mental cursing.  No changes made to system, so far as I an aware, possibly an AV update.  Rebooted.  All is now fine.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    Imago said:

Any news about the timeline issues?

For news, keep an eye on the Change Log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

that means no.

--ms

Please report it, providing the same steps as outlined in your post.

is it just me?

he just did report it.

our time is money, and it's clearly a DAZ problem.

get an intern or the responsible programmer to cull the report from the perfectly available information.

This is the general release! We've already done your beta for it.

sheesh,

--ms

miki3d said:

Hi there!

After the update when I save a scene some keyframes get lost.
    Someone else with the same problem?

Thanks

yes

--ms

SimonJM said:

Just had a really weird one which has, I think, been mentioned elsewhere.  This is on Win 7  Pro, 64-bit with updates (such as they now are) set to manual, latest version of public DS and DIM.  I was about to spark up DIM to downlaod and install soem stuff so shut DS.  Daz Studio dropped immediately w(which was a little surpruisng as I am used to apuase and then it going).  Waited a moment or two allow the database to close before starting DIM. Tabbed to another window (a browser) to do some stuff abd then looked foer DIM, ready to login.  No sign of DIM.  I could have sworn I'd double-clicked, so looked in Task manager.  An there they were, both DS and DIM. Processes with 0% CPU and static amoutn of RAM in use. Killed both, paused, started DIM.  No DIM active, just the process.  Killled the process, waited started DS.  No DS, just the splash-screen and the process.  Waited, waited, killed the process. Furrowed brow and did a LOT of mental cursing.  No changes made to system, so far as I an aware, possibly an AV update.  Rebooted.  All is now fine.

I suspect PostgreSQL was to some extent stuck - did you check for its processes? I had a spell, a while back, when PostgreSQL was being left after DS closed and it was extremely hard to shut it down - I can't now recall what the issue was, or if it just stopped happening after a bit.

mindsong said:

is it just me?

he just did report it.

get an intern or the responsible programmer to cull the report from the perfectly available information.

sheesh,

--ms

reports are made through https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

mindsong said:
    Imago said:

For news, keep an eye on the Change Log http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

that means no.

--ms

It means that that is where updates are most likely to make their debut.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    SimonJM said:

I suspect PostgreSQL was to some extent stuck - did you check for its processes? I had a spell, a while back, when PostgreSQL was being left after DS closed and it was extremely hard to shut it down - I can't now recall what the issue was, or if it just stopped happening after a bit.

I have to admit I don't recall if they were still running, but I thought they were not that inextricably linked, as far as if I shutDS it sends a request to teh database to close and that's it, there is no wait withing DS for it toactually shut.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited May 2020
    mindsong said:

is it just me?

he just did report it.

sheesh,

--ms

Multiple bug reports from different users on different systems experiencing the same issues make it exponentially easier for development teams to identify/solve the underlying issues. It also greatly increases the priority of those fixes since issues documented to affect multiple users are obviously going to be prioritized over one-offs.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    RayDAnt said:
    mindsong said:

is it just me?

he just did report it.

sheesh,

--ms

Multiple bug reports from different users on different systems experiencing the same issues make it exponentially easier for development teams to identify/solve the underlying issues. It also greatly increases the priority of those fixes since issues documented to affect multiple users are obviously going to be prioritized over one-offs.

Fair enough,

but the referenced post is so clear and complete, to expect that that user take the time/effort to report the issue *again*... Really? Anybody?

The mentioned report is a far cry from the periodic and useless "dudn't werk fer me!" we often see in here.

I would assert that given a report like that - in the forums alone, would warrant an internal DAZ Q/A exploration - that should generate one of two responses:

- "yes, we see this too, we created a ticket to track our problem. THANKS!"

- "hmm, can't replicate this behavior on our systems. Is anyone else seeing this? If so, please report w/ your specifics so we can better debug this one... Thanks in advance."

Thereby potentially saving many redundant (time is valuable) reports for a possibly known issue.

Yes, the forums are both a proper and appropriate place for quick issue probes across the community (e.g. "Anyone else's animations missing keyframes when reloading in 4.12.1.117 ?").

But, clearly many of us differ on where the responsibility lies for proactive Q/A.

I'm done with this particular discussion. blood/stones, etc.

--ms

SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

I have to admit I don't recall if they were still running, but I thought they were not that inextricably linked, as far as if I shutDS it sends a request to teh database to close and that's it, there is no wait withing DS for it toactually shut.

I don't know why it gave an issue - my guess would be it somehow tied the communication port used to link them up so that DS and PostgreSQL were each listening to the equivalent of hold music.

• dawnblade said:

I can confirm I was having issue with Daz dropping from an active program to a background task upong shutdown which prevernted launching Daz again until old instance was ended by Taskmanager. Disabled the Octane plugin (not just not used it) and now daz is back to normal. Sounds like some sort of mismatch between Daz shutdown process and Octane plugin. Will leave it disabled until Otoy or Daz put their hand up to fix it.

David

Same here. DS is still in memory, but there is also CPU activity, and then DS ends in less than a min. When Octane is enabled, there is no CPU activity and DS stays in memory.

I don't have Octane and I'm having the same problem. Daz goes into background mode and I can't run it again until I kill the process or it finally shuts down (a ridiculous 10 minutes most times).

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    dawnblade said:

David

I don't have Octane and I'm having the same problem. Daz goes into background mode and I can't run it again until I kill the process or it finally shuts down (a ridiculous 10 minutes most times).

A  lot of us are  having this problem, with or without Octane, apparently its being looked into, but why it didn't come up while the version was in beta is puzzling.

• luttikrobluttikrob Posts: 12

Its now broken thanks! I cannot work with this anymore, opening another instance is a big issue now, and when you do, you break the previous opened version.

When i close Daz, and reopen it, all settings are gone and i need to redo it all.

Why the heck did it have to be changed from a good working program to garbage

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890
    luttikrob said:

Its now broken thanks! I cannot work with this anymore, opening another instance is a big issue now, and when you do, you break the previous opened version.

When i close Daz, and reopen it, all settings are gone and i need to redo it all.

Why the heck did it have to be changed from a good working program to garbage

Did you use this script to create additional instances (end of post)? When you run the script, there are options to copy the settings and clean when exiting. If you uncheck the clean option, the instance should retain the settings.

• ooofestooofest Posts: 36
    ooofest said:
    ooofest said:
    f7eer said:
    ooofest said:

Imago said:

Does this imply that my Open ticket concerning the inability of 4.12.1.117 to fully shutdown when Octane plug-in is installed would be answered via change log (if addressed) or closing it, rather than through updates to the ticket, itself?  That is, I have not seen acknowledgement or other status indicator since submitting, so was unsure how tickets are typically handled.

ooofest said:
    ooofest said:
    ooofest said:
    f7eer said:
    ooofest said:

Imago said:

Does this imply that my Open ticket concerning the inability of 4.12.1.117 to fully shutdown when Octane plug-in is installed would be answered via change log (if addressed) or closing it, rather than through updates to the ticket, itself?  That is, I have not seen acknowledgement or other status indicator since submitting, so was unsure how tickets are typically handled.

I would imagine that you'd get a response to the ticket, but possibly the change-log would get updated sooner (since that is written directly by the devs, while the support ticket would be updated by CS).

edited May 2020
    ooofest said:
    ooofest said:
    ooofest said:
    f7eer said:
    ooofest said:

Imago said:

I would imagine that you'd get a response to the ticket, but possibly the change-log would get updated sooner (since that is written directly by the devs, while the support ticket would be updated by CS).

Thanks for that clarification - it sounds like I should expect at least some sort of ticket response in the future, at least.

I just updated it to include latest Public Build showing the same symptoms if Octane is installed for that instance, as well. Hoping others who have reported it here placed a Support ticket with their respective information.
    Post edited by ooofest on
    edited May 2020
    (mistype)
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

Does strand based hair work in this version I just tried creating some on a primitive sphere and nothing showed up when I rendered and when selected it doesn't show in the surfaces tab.

I'm also having trouble applying texture mats to purchased hair products.

edited May 2020

I received a response from Daz Support recently and they recommended removing Octane from my system to alleviate the Daz hang-at-shutdown issue, because:

. . . Octane is a third party plugin and we do no offer support for them, nor can we guarantee that they will work with Daz Studio without causing any issues. I apologize for the inconvenience.

To say I am a bit disappointed with this response is putting it mildly.  I'm not going to remove the Octane plugin because it makes me far more efficient with Daz, offers easy interoperability with my Poser+Octane scenes and I like the results with Octane more than Iray.

Guess I'll have to live with Daz Studio not shutting down properly going forward . . . or, if there are additional problems because I use the Octane plugin, hope those turn out to not be fatal ones.  It's feels fragile to know that plugins such as Octane are considered too foreign to keep on the same system as Daz.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

@oofest, the other issue that occurs when Octane is enabled (not even in use but just enabled) is with instancing. See the first post about UltraScenery, which is a recent and very popular landscape creation tool for Daz Studio, and it makes heavy use of instances, for grass, leaves, etc. Some users have experienced issues with DS freezing up or taking very long to generate the scene when Octane is enabled.

I really like using UltraScenery and other products that make use of instances, so I just keep Octane disabled until I want to create a scene using Octane (that doesn't include instances), then I'll enable it.