*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

Comments

• GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

thanks luci

Well the story is that when i was trying to load my usual avatar, it just wouldn t
    but an image of a desert tortoise would
    so i just used it as a texture on the tortoises shell

The image is of a coyote and a salmon in the form of the yin yang symbol
    I should have done it in illustrator but used photoshop instead
    I made it after reading a folktale collected by the Kroebers of UC Berkeley
    i don t think that it was alfred but his wife theodora actually
    It was about how Coyote freed Salmon from the clutches/dams of the Beaver sisters
    and led him up the Columbia bringing food to all the peoples of Big River

coyote_salmon.jpg
    200 x 200 - 229K
    edited December 1969

We had camelot on 45s when i was a kid
    That and pal joey. you could stack them but had to flip them for the back sides
    I m okay with some Trivial Pursuit categories but suck at sports
    And almost a complete failure with the 7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    I'm happy you like it, barbult. Muck's adventure was memorable and started the whole story thing, launching us into yet rarer realms of crazy.
    Scott-Livingston, Wow, I like both renders. I see a very subtle difference in contrast so that Jaderail's face in the cartoon-camera one stands out a little more. Cool story too.

gopherus, Ken Obanions Last Boat to Lisbon is just nutty! (as is the banter that follows.) It took a little research to refresh my memory about the other two movies. Anyway, perfect for Ken. I hope he appreciates his ongoing "roast." "for Ken it was tuesday" Priceless. Strange thing about avatars and their owners (or do they own us?) Is that a fish and a fox on your tortoise's shell?

This is a very fun RRRR!

I'm not sure I'd call it 'perfect', Luci. Truth to tell, I've never really thought of myself as the 'Bogie-and-Bergman' type. Now, Hepburn I can see; I do kind of resemble her, especially in her later years. And I definitely sound like her!

And I'm thinking, the less said about Mary Astor, the better!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,649
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Luci45, I've been meaning to ask you - how did you get clothes on the bird (me)?

I didn't get them on the bird exactly. I did weird things to Genesis to make it somewhat birdie-like, then parented the parrot (I didn't have the blue one so much texture changing) to Genesis' neck. I made everything but head, neck and tail invisible. I added Feathered Wings and made Genesis head in visible.

bird_woman.JPG
    943 x 601 - 141K
    parrot_avatar.jpg
    1314 x 700 - 140K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    barbult said:
    Luci45, I've been meaning to ask you - how did you get clothes on the bird (me)?

I didn't get them on the bird exactly. I did weird things to Genesis to make it somewhat birdie-like, then parented the parrot (I didn't have the blue one so much texture changing) to Genesis' neck. I made everything but head, neck and tail invisible. I added Feathered Wings and made Genesis head in visible.
    Wow! Now I'm even more impressed!

edited December 1969

Well, "All good things," and all that. So here's my final pull....

420 - Aslan Court 1: Fallen
    62 - Elven Warrior for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    938 - Shimuzu's Stephanie 5 Poses
    2206 - Fae Realm for Victoria 4 Aiko 4 and Elite

Hmm, elves, faeries and derelict edifices. Rather a departure from my typical oeuvre, but that might be just what I need.

What the hey -- I'll have a go at it!

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

gopherus said:
    Gopherus #3
    Ken Obanions Last Boat to Lisbon

Pulled:
    Long Snouted Dragon
    Dies Nefastus
    Ultimate Changing Ponytail
    Steamboat Machine

Alexis pondered Ken s parting words...
    "I m saying it because it s true, inside of us we both know that you belong with Martin. You re part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that boat leaves and you re not on it, you ll regret it, maybe not today and maybe not not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life. We ll always have Texas. We didn t have, we lost it until you came to Texas. We got it back last night. Alexis, I m not good at being noble, but it doesn t take much to see that the problems of 3 little people don t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you ll understand that.

"You’re good. You’re very good. I ll have some rotten nights after I send you away but that ll pass. If all I said doesn t mean anything to you then forget it and we ll make it just this ... we can t because all of me wants to regardless of consequences.
    You must take the Dragon to Guttman. For it s the stuff that dreams are made of."

But Alexis s present problem was that the oil pump on the Nyanga was no good at all. To locate, bargain for and install a new one would require more than a day but less than a fortnight.

And she must get down the Ulanga to the lake, where she could catch the Louisa. Charlie Allnut had promised to help.

And afterwards... perhaps a rest in the Florida Keys...

edited to add “You’re good. You’re very good." thanks Barbult

Great one! (damn I fell out of the notification loop)

edited December 1969

Well, "All good things," and all that. So here's my final pull....

420 - Aslan Court 1: Fallen
    62 - Elven Warrior for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    938 - Shimuzu's Stephanie 5 Poses
    2206 - Fae Realm for Victoria 4 Aiko 4 and Elite

Hmm, elves, faeries and derelict edifices. Rather a departure from my typical oeuvre, but that might be just what I need.

What the hey -- I'll have a go at it!

Sorry to be such a "Danny Downer" with this final entry, but the pull pretty much dictated the scene, as well as the story -- more so than usual, in fact. I didn't even decide to "target" Jaderail until the scene was almost complete; I dropped him into it, literally, at the last minute!

Also used:
    Branwen Hair for Genesis
    Addison skin MAT for Genesis
    Darc character for G2M
    Smart Hair
    FW Dan Megapack
    Voyager for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Pure Hair: Fantasy
    Sun Hair (for those wickedly-long eyebrows!)

TAG: obanion#07
    Title: At World's End
    (A Day in the Life of Jaderail)

Darc and Addison gazed in shock and horror at the scene before them: the Court of Aslan, abandoned, derelict, in ruins. What could have happened, Darc wondered, that could have brought the place to such a state of decay, and in so short a time?

"No," a voice said from the shadows, "my people had nothing to do with what happened here." Jaderail stepped out into a shaft of sunlight that streamed through the broken roof. "In fact," he continued, "my people are suffering the same fate as yours. And for the same reason."

"What..., what did happen here?" Darc asked.

"People no longer believe in us," Jaderail said. "In elves, and faeries, and magic. And when people cease to believe, then we cease to be."

RRRR_DayInTheLife_07.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 1969

One Hot Desert Night in Gorpherus' Life
    tag:luci45#6

It was a hot night on the edge of the desert, nothing unusual for the time of year, or any time of year. Gopherus had just finished dragging his bed, TV and DVR player out unto the porch. He sat in the bed looking through some favorite DVDs and was about to hand Junior Rabbit The Treasure of the Sierra Madre to pop into the player, when Coyote showed up with a few bottles of brew, a weird ghosty friend and a movie that he really wanted to watch. No, grumbled Gopherus, you won't like it. I didn't like it. Good book, bad movie, and no coyotes in it, really. They argued for a while, as usual. Then Coyote and his weird ghosty friend decided to stay around for a while and watch Sierra Madre with Gopherus and maybe cheer him up as he seemed a bit grumpy. (This was actually an asumption as tortoises' moods are almost impossible to read.) Afterwards, the ghost, formerly known as Sra Cordoba, had a few choice tales to relate about happier times before the gringos arrived in the Southwest and Coyote had a few stories of his own from before the Spaniards showed up.

(I know the desert tortoise shouldn't be green. I used the gray Drakon texture but must have tweaked the saturation too much.)

Used:
    Timeless (texture for Hallowed Eve)
    pw Effect
    Dream Home-Eclectic Master Bedroom Furniture
    Gregoria Hair

Also used:
    DVD Cases from DVD Tower
    Cheyenne for V4
    Free Ninja Turtle for Genesis (Christmas 2012 Joe Quick) + turtle head morph Genesis Evolution
    Drakon Texture
    Cat World Regenesis HD - with dog head morph (Genesis Evolution) and HD turned off.
    free bottle (sharecg -rigoberto gonzalez)
    Lovey Bear Re-energized
    Chollas freebie (Xfrog.com) They're in the background which got kind of dark
    Dreamlight background
    Photoshop and Filter Forge

gopherus.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 726K
    edited December 1969

Luci, that's great!!

One question, though: Where did you get the DVD covers? Did you actually scan them into Photoshop, or is there a resource online for stuff like that? (Because there are a few CD/album covers I'd like to have in the arsenal...!)

edited December 1969

Luci, that's great!!

One question, though: Where did you get the DVD covers? Did you actually scan them into Photoshop, or is there a resource online for stuff like that? (Because there are a few CD/album covers I'd like to have in the arsenal...!)

Thanks, Ken. I just Googled Humphrey Bogart and then picked Images and large. A handful came up. So if you Google a particular movie and pick images you're likely to get something.

Katherine Hepburn's is a great personality for a man or a woman. ;-)

edited December 1969

Great one Luci!!

edited December 1969

Wow! That s pretty much spot on!! After working for years on the dusk to dawn vampire shift my body got used to staying up and watching movies til dawn. 3 Bogeys and a Gene Kelly would make a good night s viewing. (Gene Kelly because of the 2 inches of rain we finally got last weekend, only 3 months late.) But better yet listening to some good yarns from Coyote and the Spirit Woman. Good thing she s a spirit or we d be prying the cholla out of her skin with pliers. Actually i have read all the Hillerman books, but i d be game for the movie even if it doesn t come up to the novel. Hope there are clouds overhead as the desert gets mighty cold mighty fast when the sky is clear. My mom tried to break me of sleeping outside by moving all her potted cactus to under the hammock. Up to when i was a teen I would wrap extra blankets around my sleeping bag and watch Orion and the Dippers spinning in the night. And you can tell that s a male tortoise by the round shell. Females have flatter shells so the males won t be falling over on their backs all the time. Really really good one Luci

Thanks Totte for your comments
    @ken Maybe if we all believe tinkerbell won t die of the poison. Actually i had half of the last book to go to fiinsh the Chronicles, but misplaced the book. A dark image for dark times is appropriate. (and if they can hold on to the dawn there might be some Morning Maniac Music.) Well done!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

More great stuff, really enjoyed the Last Luci image, Love that image. Now on a side note, the Jade is very sad the magic seems to be fading...

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    More great stuff, really enjoyed the Last Luci image, Love that image. Now on a side note, the Jade is very sad the magic seems to be fading...

It doesn't have to be. The problem holds its own solution.

(Hint: Tug McGraw.)

edited December 1969

Thanks, Totte, Jade and Gopherus.

I'm glad you like it, Gopherus. I tried to get some elements of your style in this, but no luck. LOL. The Coyote Waits movie wasn't that bad, just didn't get Hillerman's characters right.

Ken - a painfully sad image and appropriately dark. The magic is never gone -life is all magic. We are just asleep to it.

Next pull is too strange, and this one is for Zawarkal. Hmmm...
    Shades of Life - Urban Construct
    Sushi Time Two
    Fairytale Collection - Palace Entrance
    Garbage Cans

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...been pretty much in lurk mode these days due to pressing RL issues and malfunctioning reminder bots.

Please forgive the lack of individual comments as there has been so much backtracking I've had to do. Everything I've seen posted here has been great. The stories are wonderful, inventive, and often very funny (and I seriously need a good dose of the latter these days). I already have seen that voting on this is going to be really tough, and we still have about a week to go.

I still have a pull but just never got past initially setting up the four items pulled and making sure things like shaders & such worked in Studio3A. The real challenge for me has been who to target.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

Oh goody. Wheels are turning trying to imagine what you might do. Those garbage cans are screaming at me, lol.

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    Luci45 said:

Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

Oh goody. Wheels are turning trying to imagine what you might do. Those garbage cans are screaming at me, lol.

This will be fun and very challenging! Your renders are truly unique and brilliant. You do a lot of things I would like to do. I need to get out of my "comfort zone." :ohh: :-)

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Luci45 said:
    barbult said:

Wow! Now I'm even more impressed!

Thanks, barbult. Sometimes I think I spend way too much time doing this. %-P

edited December 1969

Luci45 said:
    Zawarkal said:
    Luci45 said:

Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

This will be fun and very challenging! Your renders are truly unique and brilliant. You do a lot of things I would like to do. I need to get out of my "comfort zone." :ohh: :-)

unique and brilliant... I tend to think strange and unusual
    I appreciate your words. As I mentioned before I do not field a lot of comments on my images so I really have no idea if any of them hold any weight, but that just makes me try even harder on the next image as I keep looking to strike a cord

I have decided though that since I know that I cannot create the realistic type images with any success that it is better for me to continue down the path of strange and unusual... this way I can make mistakes and no one will know, lol

As far as brilliant goes there are several artists in this bunch who qualify for that description. And, yes, that does include you. So, don't worry about comfort zone. If you already know what works why change the style.

Right now I have several ideas swimming around in my head and I cannot land on which one I want to do next. So while I'm waiting for my inspiration I have been studying some tutorials and trying to learn how to use some of the other tools available in daz. Things are getting quite interesting in my neck of the woods.

I was playing with apophysis and perfect fx 8. I have created an abstract image that I would actually place on my wall if I were living in my own home. Now, I just need to figure out where I can display it online.

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:
    Luci45 said:
    Zawarkal said:
    Luci45 said:

Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

unique and brilliant... I tend to think strange and unusual
    I appreciate your words. As I mentioned before I do not field a lot of comments on my images so I really have no idea if any of them hold any weight, but that just makes me try even harder on the next image as I keep looking to strike a cord

I have decided though that since I know that I cannot create the realistic type images with any success that it is better for me to continue down the path of strange and unusual... this way I can make mistakes and no one will know, lol

As far as brilliant goes there are several artists in this bunch who qualify for that description. And, yes, that does include you. So, don't worry about comfort zone. If you already know what works why change the style.

Right now I have several ideas swimming around in my head and I cannot land on which one I want to do next. So while I'm waiting for my inspiration I have been studying some tutorials and trying to learn how to use some of the other tools available in daz. Things are getting quite interesting in my neck of the woods.

I was playing with apophysis and perfect fx 8. I have created an abstract image that I would actually place on my wall if I were living in my own home. Now, I just need to figure out where I can display it online.

You could put up a gallery at deviantart. It is free, unless you want to pay for a few extras. I have had one for about a year and have found a lot of cg artists and photographers there that I like. We comment on each other's work. There are groups you can join too. There is even an apophysis group. I had to Google that 'cause I didn't know what it was (perfect fx either, but couldn't find that one.)

I am in a little bit of a rut with my renders, feel like I am repeating myself a lot. Learning new stuff helps though. I guess it's best to develop things slowly and incorporate new experiments that work.

I downloaded some of your images and have been admiring them as I plot what I am going to do - some of the have really great texture and depth that I didn't see at first look - specifically That Which Truly Cannot Be Unseen and Kinecting. Merry Go Round of Life and the Take Me Away bathtub are my two favorites. I really like the way you are able to use black in a way that is mysterious rather than morbid. For me there is always a positive feeling in the figures and the energy.

edited December 1969

oops, that's Perfect Effects 8. it was free one day and I grabbed it, sure glad I did
    I do have a gallery at da, I just haven't been posting there as I did not think I had anything that was really ready for that level of display. Will probably be putting this out there then.

Black and Blue are my two favorite colors. I've always said that if I could get past people's thoughts I would dye my hair blue. Who knows, life is short, I may still do it yet. I'll just tell everyone that I'm an artist and we can all have a good laugh. Black used to be the only color clothes that I wore, slimming and all you know. One day my boss told me to wear more colors. Now I hardly wear black, still love it though.

Thanks again for the comments on my images. You say how there is depth in the images once you look at them more closely. I think part of the issue with some of my images is that they may not grab the attention of viewers long enough to get them to look at the larger view. So that has been my recent tutorial study with looking into working with effects and highlights that help grab attention and direct image focus.

some of that depth on the images you mentioned came from a tip I picked up where you take a blend layer and desaturate the layer, run a high pass sharpen over the desaturated layer, and then apply a posterize effect to the desat layer... once this is done you then blend this layer in with the original at something like 20% multiply
    those images were also made at a time when I would use FotoSketcher (free) against a layer and then blend that in again at 20% to give some texturing; now I've learned to use images and gradients for blends

definitely if you feel your in a rut then explore

I can so totally see you doing the images like I'm trying to do. I feel that kind of a vibe from you.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

tag: scott-livingston#02

Tomb of Helena
    Mad Doctor for Genesis Male
    Genesis 2 Male Clone for Genesis
    Herdbeast

http://www.daz3d.com/tomb-of-helena
    http://www.daz3d.com/mad-doctor-for-genesis-male
    http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-clone-for-genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/herdbeast

A Day in the Life of Novica
    by Scott Livingston

Invited Guest Contributor*

After completing her purchases, running a few renders, and posting some reviews to her Art Studio forum, Novica put on her hat (she succeeded, after some struggle, in getting it on without her hair poking through the fabric) and got ready for her favorite part of the day: spending time at the stable with her beloved herd beast.

I used Tomb of Helena for the stable floor and the columns in the background. Genesis 2 Male Clone was used to AutoFit the hat and shirt, and the pants are from Mad Doctor. I realize Luci45 already did the “critters with multicolored lights” thing (and quite well) but given that I drew the Herdbeast I couldn’t resist…There are a few other Novica-inspired elements in the render as well. ;-)

Also used:
    DAZ Barn
    The All-New Worldbase XT Lushlands
    Modern Muses: Tamesis
    Taylor Hair
    Adventurer for Genesis 2 Male(s) (hat)
    Bold for Adventurer
    Newport Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Nice Doctor/Evil Doctor
    Diner Food 4 (lettuce)
    Advanced Ambient Light
    Advanced Spotlight
    Subsurface Shader Base
    GIMP

novica2pw1.jpg
    695 x 900 - 404K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Pull #3

9 3D Starter Pack
    450 Hiro 5
    525 Lord of the Wolves
    255 Divinity Rising Oracle DS (can't really use this, as it's a texture set for something I don't own...unless I just decide to buy it, that is)
    673 Night Watcher

edited March 2014

Zawarkal's Afternoon at the Museum
    tag:luci45#7

Zawarakal goes to the Modern Museum to see a special sculpture exhibit of "Nuvo Garbology," where she talks to a crow who is part of the exhibit.

Used:
    Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

Also used:
    Lorenzo Lorez
    Crow (Smith Micro)
    Angel Fish
    Sushi 1
    Diner Food
    Garbage
    Flower Power
    Esidor Hair
    Hat Hair Helper
    Mitch Hair
    Sultry Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Females
    Punked for Daydream
    Genesis
    Photoshop
    Filter Forge (Poster Orgre filter - slow but awesome)
    Casual Male
    Specs
    Library floor texture

zawarkal.jpg
    1800 x 1125 - 461K
    Post edited by luci45 on
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

Zawarakal goes to the Modern Museum to see a special sculpture exhibit of "Nuvo Garbology," where she talks to a crow who is part of the exhibit.

Used:
    Sushi Time Two
    Garbage Cans

Also used:
    Lorenzo Lorez
    Crow (Smith Micro)
    Angel Fish
    Sushi 1
    Diner Food
    Garbage
    Flower Power
    Esidor Hair
    Hat Hair Helper
    Mitch Hair
    Sultry Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Females
    Punked for Daydream
    Genesis
    Photoshop
    Filter Forge (Poster Orgre filter - slow but awesome)
    Casual Male
    Specs
    Library floor texture

This is too cool. I'm never been one for museums, but I'd go to this one! I especially love the Bottles on the Wall Sculpture. I am a Pisces so the fish on the floor works. I also have a thing for birds, so me talking to one is just priceless.

When the garbage cans were screaming at me I was seeing something like the cans laying on their sides, forming an artistic design. So... I would say you channeled me in here somewhere.

edited December 1969

Scott and Luci, great entries both of you, again!

This is really one of the funniest RRRR to watch, so much creativity and so great art!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Luci45 said:

Do I see Ken in there, too?
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Pull number 4:

1600 = Aircraft Spidi
    519 = Carnival Midway Interiors
    309 = More Deadly Edges
    493 = Elleth Hair

TAG:MelanieL#4

Title: Zawarkal's Nightmare?

Zawarkal was confused and rather frightened.
    She couldn't remember how she got here...
    In fact she wasn't sure where she was...
    In fact she wasn't sure what she was: asleep (in which case this was a terrifying nightmare) or awake (in which case this was the most terrifying experience of her life).
    And should she be more concerned about the goblin attack? Or the likelihood that a plane was about to crash into them all?

Zawarkal: Tori for V5, Aussie Girl top, Flower Power jeans and sandals
    Lesser Goblin 1: Barbarian Warlord breeches
    Lesser Goblin 2: Genesis Ranger pants
    Lesser Goblin 3: Dragon Lord Pants
    Spidi Pilot: David 5, K'Nicky Hair, GIS Biosuit
    Carnival Big Top

Zawarkals-Nightmare.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 387K