Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it looks kewl.  thanks

remembers the please dont squeez the charmin commercials laugh

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

ahhhh.. thankyou @diomede

the days when tp was in abundance.... those were the days wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

The Toon horse captures the idea of 'toon' terrifically./ Missed your calling? Thanks for the tp. I wont have to use the two shells anymore

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited April 2020
    Headwax said:

The Toon horse captures the idea of 'toon' terrifically./ Missed your calling? Thanks for the tp. I wont have to use the two shells anymore

Appreciate the nice comments about the toon horse.  I may model a few more random things.  Something simple.  What else does the Carrara community need?  

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2020

Used Carrara to model a formal dress and shoulder wrap for G8F.  Assigned shading domains to make it easy to use the dress with G8F in Carrara with VWD, but I have been having a devil of a time with G8F in Carrara for the past month or so.  Freezes.  Crashes.  I think it was a graphics driver update in March.  Maybe there was an update to G8F essentials in Studio that affecta the figure in Carrara?  It could be Covid-19.  Who knows?

Anyway, the dress figure is ready to be a freebie (without shaders).  I need to reassign the shading domains of the wrap so that it can stay on the shoulders during a drape simulation.  I should probably also edit the weightmaps where the wrap nears the sides of the torso.

modeling a formal dress for g8F.jpg
    1492 x 939 - 198K
    modeling a formal dress for g8F 2.jpg
    336 x 732 - 40K
    edited April 2020

Here is the wrap falling off the shoulders in a DForce simulation.  I suspect the same would happen in Carrara with VWD without nailing some vertexes to the collision object.  I find nailing vertexes easier when I can select by shading domain, thus the need to redo the shading domains for the wrap.

modeling a formal dress for g8F 3.jpg
    616 x 859 - 69K

Dress and wrap now offered as a freebie.  You will have to convert to blended to use in Carrara.  Should work well with VWD.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/400551/free-dress-long-dforce-skirt-and-dforce-shoulder-wrap-untextured

Diomede said:

Dress and wrap now offered as a freebie.  You will have to convert to blended to use in Carrara.  Should work well with VWD.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/400551/free-dress-long-dforce-skirt-and-dforce-shoulder-wrap-untextured

I had to replace the upload.  Apparently my data file was missing a folder.  If you have a problem, try downloading the updated file from ShareCG, same page.

edited April 2020

Terrain creation, Painting, and Fluidos - Proof of Concept

- drew rough heightmaps with an image editor

- imported maps in Carrara's terrain modeler and applied filters (such as erosion)

- converted to a vertex model at low resolution

- selected outer edge, pulled down, closed the bottom (inportant for fluidos, I think)

- uvmapped (probably suboptimal when told what is next)

- exported as an obj

- imported OBJ in 3D coat

- in 3DCoat, painted some simple textures

- exported model from 3DCoat as obj 

- imported obj in Carrara and loaded the maps

cc01 terrain imported from 3d coat.jpg
    1538 x 974 - 238K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks. !

\i have trouble remembering the steps.  need to do it more often

edited May 2020

Custom Figure

(Fan Art) Rigged in Studio for Use in Carrara  (and Studio)

The Grinch

For this month's challenge, I modeled fanart Grinch and his dog Max.  I've rigged and weightmapped them both using Carrara's native tools.  However, I've decided to rig the Grinch using Studio's tools because I want to be able to make a variety of "Who" morphs and clothes.  The transfer utility in Studio can be a big help.

Part 1 - Preparing a Carrara Mesh for Daz Studio Rigging

- modeled the Grinch in Carrara's vertex modeler

- using the Selection : by Name : by Polygons menu, I created groups and named them for the entire Grinch mesh.  One named group for each bodypart.

- I tried to prevent unnamed polygons by sequentially selecting by each group and then inverting.  If nothing selected, then all polygons are in a group.

- I exported the Grinch obj in the preset for Daz Studio : Full Scene.

- I created a file structure based on some advice by Mark Olsen, MDO2010, but I'm not sure what forum name he goes by now.

- I have a base project file with two main  subsets, the Content Files, and my Working Files.  Only the Content files would ever be shared

- The content file has a folder for the data files that Studio will create when the completed figure is rigged and saved as a support asset.  This project also requires a place to put the custom figure so I chose People.  It is also customary to place material and texture files in a Runtime : Textures folder within the content folder.

- Separate from the content folder, I have a working files folder.  I have subfolders for my Carrara files, for OBJs (base figure and morphs), and for anything I use to help with textures (including references).  I do not share the working files folder.

grinch rigged and posed.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
    yy01 naming polygons in this case chest.jpg
    1236 x 809 - 100K
    yy03 export obj as daz studio full scene preset.jpg
    1212 x 972 - 205K
    yy04 grinch file structure.jpg
    600 x 600 - 74K

I have more than 1 tutorial for rigging, but I must say that the one by SickleYield is a favorite.

https://www.daz3d.com/how-to-create-a-new-daz-studio-custom-creature

sicleyield tute.jpg
    310 x 406 - 35K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,660

Good job on the Grinch !!!

Thanks for the recommendation on Sickleyield's Tute, have eyed it off before !

New Freebie at ShareCG.  I modeled a simple low poly grass prop, suitable for replication.  It is in DUF format, and will install fine in Carrara 8.5 content library to be replicated on all your low poly background landscapes.

https://sharecg.com/v/95873/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Grass-Prop-for-Daz-Studio-UltraScatter

edited June 2020

Replicated in Carrara Assemble Room

grass in carrara.jpg
    1774 x 1005 - 417K

Does this mean that the grass is greener on the other side ?

I do like Howie Farkes' new product, UltraScenery.  One issue I have with it is the difficulty to customize.  So, I will be making a few props so that I can test substituting my own creations.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    Diomede said:

I do like Howie Farkes' new product, UltraScenery.  One issue I have with it is the difficulty to customize.  So, I will be making a few props so that I can test substituting my own creations.

you have a computer that can actually handle it too yes

knowing how Ultrascatter freezes up my PC and goes to CPU I need to save up for hardware before I can buy that and most of the new stuffs with dforced everything too

Been eyeing off the Ultra Scenery, would have been nice if there was a Carrara version of it !

Wish all Carrara-ists were able to upgrade computers when UB and I did.  Recently, I've been wondering if I should take another look at Carrara's softbody physics.  One of the problems was calculation time.  Didn't Misty look again recently?

Bunyip02 said:

Been eyeing off the Ultra Scenery, would have been nice if there was a Carrara version of it !

there is

it's called Carrara heart

but

yes we could do with more tools using the replicator system

need people who can understand the SDK and Digital Carvers and other opensource plugins to make them work more like DAZ instances 

to be able to use the instance placeholders in duf files would be in itself awesome 

I thought I could do it using replace in Twinmotion but that loads every instance placeholder at 0,0,0 too like Carrara

iClone seems to be the only thing that reads the FBX in situ, 

Bunyip02 said:

there is

it's called Carrara heart

Yes there's lots that can be done !!!!

Would be nice if Howie had the time and financial rewards to do some more Carrara masterpieces !

edited June 2020

2nd Free Grass Prop - low poly suitable for toon, best with instancing or ultrascatter but not necessary

https://sharecg.com/v/95878/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Grass-Prop-02-for-Daz-Studio-UltraScatter-low-po

Grass 02 promo.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 347K
    edited June 2020

And a tree in Daz Studio format.  I will see about posting the carrara version in next post, but I'm not sure about the leaves and bark shaders

https://sharecg.com/v/95879/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Tree-Prop-Daz-Studio-Unrealistic

tree promo 2 jpg.jpg
    795 x 853 - 121K

Here is the Carrara version of the same tree.  Let me know if there is a problem.  See attached zip.

zip
    zip
    Dio Tree Yucky 01 CAR zip.zip
    2M
    edited June 2020

I just rendered a scene with your other trees

and new grasses

@Artini terrain heightmap

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5695641/#Comment_5695641

now I have to add that one cheeky

this is Carrara BTW not Ultrascenery blush
    took 1.33 mins

DAZ studio iray I would have to go for a walk to the mall and grab a takeaway and eat it

Doc3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2020

this one took almost 15mins because I used sky light

didn't use the palm as not a tropical island I think

think Distant light instead of sunlight and no skylight in render looks better and only 2:43mins

Dio trees grass Artini HM.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 273K
    distant no skylight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 293K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited June 2020

this one took almost 15mins because I used sky light

didn't use the palm as not a tropical island I think

think Distant light instead of sunlight and no skylight in render looks better and only 2:43mins

Looking good

Don't forget the Palm Tree

Diomede Palm Trees 1 Topaz.png
    800 x 598 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on