*closed* RRRR - One day in XXXs life Render Contest (With prizes galore)

168101112

Comments

  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    Hah, I just noticed. I typed the wrong year on my signature, lol. I had to go back and see if I could make out what it is that everyone is seeing.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited December 1969

    Tag:Totte#7

    Totte said:

    #3005 Old West Expansion 1 - Sign Pack 1 (RDNA)
    #2183 Hardcore Utility Shaders DS
    #399 Michael 4 Gun Pose Construction Set
    #3453 Room Creator Version 2

    Also Used:
    "Model": Room Creator 2 Expansion packs + [shader] Design Toolbox + Office + 4EYes Prisonbed (freebee)
    "Town": Native Village (grounds) + TP Western + Old West Saloon & Interior & Miss Kittys + Old West mercantile & Interior + Old West Undertakers + Interior + Village outhouse + Boot Hill
    "Cowboy #1" M4 + M4 Cowboy + HMG Tex
    "Cowboy #2" M4 + M4 Cowboy + Hellbent for Leather2
    "Cowboy #3" M4 + M4 Cowboy + Hellbent for Leather2 + HMG Tex
    "Cowboy #4" Genesis basic male + M3 Cowboy + Master Skull Cap + Soldier Hair + Town And Country (Pants and Boots) + GunFight for Genesis
    "Sheriff-Attorney Tomalin": M6HD + Goya Hair + SPEX for Genesis + Genesis short beard + A Gentlemen's Wardrobe + Long Nose shoes + BWC Manly Poses
    "Assistant Melanie": GF2 + Pandora-X + Female Business Suit 2 + Pumps2 + Fancy Hair
    "Spacefillers John Doe": Adult Cole + OOT Homme + Causal TShirt + Causal Pants + Causal belt

    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    final-scene_s.jpg
    1400 x 1400 - 480K
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 12,249
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    Totte said:

    #3005 Old West Expansion 1 - Sign Pack 1 (RDNA)
    #2183 Hardcore Utility Shaders DS
    #399 Michael 4 Gun Pose Construction Set
    #3453 Room Creator Version 2

    Also Used:
    "Model": Room Creator 2 Expansion packs + [shader] Design Toolbox + Office + 4EYes Prisonbed (freebee)
    "Town": Native Village (grounds) + TP Western + Old West Saloon & Interior & Miss Kittys + Old West mercantile & Interior + Old West Undertakers + Interior + Village outhouse + Boot Hill
    "Cowboy #1" M4 + M4 Cowboy + HMG Tex
    "Cowboy #2" M4 + M4 Cowboy + Hellbent for Leather2
    "Cowboy #3" M4 + M4 Cowboy + Hellbent for Leather2 + HMG Tex
    "Cowboy #4" Genesis basic male + M3 Cowboy + Master Skull Cap + Soldier Hair + Town And Country (Pants and Boots) + GunFight for Genesis
    "Sheriff-Attorney Tomalin": M6HD + Goya Hair + SPEX for Genesis + Genesis short beard + A Gentlemen's Wardrobe + Long Nose shoes + BWC Manly Poses
    "Assistant Melanie": GF2 + Pandora-X + Female Business Suit 2 + Pumps2 + Fancy Hair
    "Spacefillers John Doe": Adult Cole + OOT Homme + Causal TShirt + Causal Pants + Causal belt

    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    Nice work, the similarities are quite scary!

  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 6,471
    edited December 1969

    @Zawarkal "Luci45 Has A Nighttime Adventure Too" - wow, that's quite an image, really striking and full of stuff to look at. (And yes, I just had to download it to turn it upside down!)
    @Luci45 - thanks for the comments on my #3
    @barbult "The Day KaribousBoutique..." - that's lovely, and I loved the poem too - just how I feel at times!
    @Totte "One Day in Sherriff Jack Tomalin's Life" - very good, especially the "not very well placed" town cemetery (though it looks like a very handy place to me, with those gunfights going on right beside it)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    I love the ASSay office!!! :lol: %-P
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 38,351
    edited December 1969

    ...indeed.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited December 1969

    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    I love the ASSay office!!! :lol: %-P

    Aah, you did get that (I had to use that sign (pulled it), so I thought I make some fun of that ;-)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    I love the ASSay office!!! :lol: %-P

    Aah, you did get that (I had to use that sign (pulled it), so I thought I make some fun of that ;-)Yes, I saw that right away, but I had to leave the house for a few hours, so I couldn't comment. When I got back, I was surprised that others hadn't already mentioned it. That made the picture, in my opinion. (Not that the rest wasn't good, but that was the crown jewel.)

  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited December 1969

    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    I love the ASSay office!!! :lol: %-P

    Aah, you did get that (I had to use that sign (pulled it), so I thought I make some fun of that ;-)Yes, I saw that right away, but I had to leave the house for a few hours, so I couldn't comment. When I got back, I was surprised that others hadn't already mentioned it. That made the picture, in my opinion. (Not that the rest wasn't good, but that was the crown jewel.)

    Three bums out of a out house with a sign saying ASSay Office, I was almost afraid someone would ban it ;-)

  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Totte said:
    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    barbult said:
    Totte said:
    Tag:Totte#7
    One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin's life
    Platinum Creek is a small town in the outskirts of the outskirts of civilization, right where the Wild West ends and the uncharted territory begins. Attorney and Sheriff Jack Tomalin and his assistant Lizette are looking at a proposal for a new office as the old one is too small for the current needs. Without a proper Assay and Sheriff's Office, Platinum Creek has been taken over by outlaws, and the gunfights are now part of the day to day business. The town cemetery is not very well placed and will be moved outside the town when the space will be used for the new building.

    I love the ASSay office!!! :lol: %-P

    Aah, you did get that (I had to use that sign (pulled it), so I thought I make some fun of that ;-)

    Yes, I saw that right away, but I had to leave the house for a few hours, so I couldn't comment. When I got back, I was surprised that others hadn't already mentioned it. That made the picture, in my opinion. (Not that the rest wasn't good, but that was the crown jewel.)

    Three bums out of a out house with a sign saying ASSay Office, I was almost afraid someone would ban it ;-)Could not find the button. Think one of them hombre's musta shot it off....

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Is http://www.random.org/ down? I keep getting connection timed out.

  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited December 1969

    Looks like it, we play too much RRRR, try the other one then ;-)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    The other one gave me some interesting items:

    1605 Lost Gallows (pretty new)
    1340 Skin Overlay Bundle
    1035 A Thousand and Three Nights
    766 Stateroom Poses

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 38,351
    edited December 1969

    barbult said:
    Is http://www.random.org/ down? I keep getting connection timed out.

    ...just checked, it's working again.
  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 998
    edited December 1969

    @Zawarkal Brilliant! Colors and oh so Beatlesque!
    @Barbult #4 Another great one. Love the color palette cool greys and orange
    @ Totte #7 OMG! That s Arch Stanton s grave! So those hombres must be Tuco and Blondie shooting it out with AngelEyes
    Good One!
    Thanks MelanieL and Luci45.
    On a good day, I'm an hour and a quarter from hollywood, palm springs, corona del mar, and big bear, on the edge of the desert, hence Gopherus the Desert Tortoise. Have driven by Monarch Bay, but usually just make it to CDM, and once a year to Dana Point. The high coastal cliffs are what drew my attention.

    Next Pull:
    Long Snouted Dragon
    Dies Nefastus
    Ultimate Changing Ponytail
    Steamboat Machine

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    I want to take a break from frantic rendering to thank everyone who posted comments on my images. Those comments make my day and give me encouragement to try even harder. THANKS!

    What a great RRRR month we've been having! I've enjoyed all the entries, and I've enjoyed playing. I'm not as good at commenting as some of the rest of you, but here I'll give it a try:

    obanion #01 The Honeymooners: A Blast from the Past - This is a logical continuation of the Martin and Alexis saga. I like Martin's face plant pose in this one. And Ken, your stories, and your stories about your stories, are always a treat to read.

    Totte #1 One day in Luci45s life - I remember those air filled pants! This is a great and colorful background story on how they came to be.

    luci45 #1 SeaNautica’s Mischief - You really captured Novica in this one, right down to the horse, Florida and Coast Guard references. I love those multicolored animals, but I have no idea how you did that.

    MelanieL #1 Luci45 Instructs Her Acolytes - Luscious colors and textures in this one. I think you did accomplish some of the "Luci glow". And yes, we should listen hard when she gives us those golden nuggets.

    Totte #2 One day in DAZ_Jareds life - I like the use of the video screen. DAZ_Kevin looks quite relaxed and comfortable in his master villain complex. Makes me wonder who is DAZ number 2. Is Richard (the lion) Mr. Haseltine?

    obanion #02 Well, There’s Something You Don’t See Everyday! - Well of course I like that you featured me in a heroine role! Nice use of the Diner and Diner Food, too. The whole thing looks very realistic, if you discount the absurdity of the actual goings on outside.

    Totte#3 One day in Jaderails life - "Drei Martini" is a fantastic play on words. Poor Jaderail must have flunked German 101.

    MelanieL#2 Ken OBanion Wonders… - This very short story tells it all. Very creative with all those strange hallucinations. Lots of details. The color is very pleasing, too. What is that in Ken's right hand? I can't quite make it out.

    0banion #03 Unannounced Visitors - "understatement of the decade, ranking right up there with, ‘Mistakes were made,’ or, ‘Houston, we have a problem’." "like a hot knife through the high-priced spread" I love it! You do have a way with words. Great metallic texture on the time travel machine. The headfirst dive into the machine is a great pose, too.

    luci45 #2 One Winter Day in Totte’s Life - "(but they don’t know what the fox said.)" That is my favorite part of this entry. I remember that Totte entry. And I remember the "Oppa Gangum Style". You captured Totte well here. The use of his images on the video screens was a nice touch, too. The snow looks really nice in this render.

    ncamp #1 Just a day of training - "What do you mean download and install". "4273 new messages" I especially like the repetitive task buttons. All hilarious!!!! and probably too true.

    Totte #4 One day in KenOBanions life - I guess you know I loved that porcelain and percussion section, since I borrowed it for my own render of you. This was a really imaginative entry. when I look at the items you drew, I would never guess you would come up with this great result.

    obanion #04 “Is There Something You Haven’t Told Me…?” - Is that a whip in the bed?! Yikes. As if shackles aren't scary enough! Young Totte better run for the door. You say this is based on personal experience? Yikes, again! I like the clothes strewn about the floor and Totte's shocked expression.

    Totte #5 One day in barbults life - Nice to see my cherry trees again! I especially like the kid with the ice cream cone and the no ice cream cones sign. My old renders on the wall was a nice touch.

    Gopherus #1 The Bridge of Magpies - Wow, a story based on a genuine historical reference. Thanks for the additional closeup. It shows all the work you put into the depiction of me. The colors and flow of this one are great, too. I especially like the goldfish on the end of the stick.

    luci45 #3 MelanieL’s Holiday on Bananaquit Beach - Too bad Melanie doesn't like the beach; that looks like quite a pleasant one. That merman you made is great! Interesting looking step children. Must be quite a family. The poses are really great in this one. Everyone looks so natural. I was especially impressed by the guy in the red hair with the open shirt. He really looks at home walking the beach. That red sundress really draws my eye to your subject, too.

    MelanieL #3 Captain Totte Proudly Presents His Cadet Unit - I love how all those guys are cutting up as soon as proud Totte turns his back. I think one kid is standing at Totte requested. I think this captures the essence of several Totte renders I've seen with the military theme, multiple characters and the aged photo look. Well done.

    Totte #6 One day in Choholes life - Chohole means business in this render. I don't want to cross her in the forum LOL. This is a great avatar interpretation. She better not turn her back for long - I see one coming up out of the sewer. "Cho the Zombieslayer VI" - isn't that up for best picture at the Oscar's? Probably should be.

    luci45 #4 Have Baton Will Travel - You sure do a great job on these cartoons. It is an interesting twist the way to tell the story. I can see that a lot of work went into this with all those renders. It is visually very engaging. I especially like the large Ken featured in the upper right.

    obanion #05 “Don’t Quit Your Day Job?” I Wish! - You got your wish to draw Jack's items so you could mock - uh - honor him. I'm impressed by all the work you did to dress up the diners and set the elegant table. Thanks for rendering at a larger size to show off the detail. It does help. Who is the disgruntled lady with her arms crossed?

    obanion #06 Her Other Passion - “artistic nudity”? Where? Where? :) I guess you handled it successfully. TOS police didn't take it down. I'd like to see the Canvas that Karibou painted...

    Gopherus #2 Lucy45s New Franchise - I remember a couple of the great Luci45 diner entries that inspired your entry here. That was pretty clever to think of constructing one. Your images have a very distinct style to them that are interesting to look at.

    zawarkal #1 Luci45 Has A Nighttime Adventure, Too - This is very interesting to look at. There are so many hidden items that are only discovered after close inspection. The colors are stunning and, like Gopherus, you have a very distinct style. How do you get those vivid colors and striking images? Nice depiction of Luci45's avatar, too.

    Totte#7 One Day in Sheriff Jack Tomalin’s life - ASSay Office!!!!! That made this image!!!! Although all the gunfighters were pretty impressive, too. Must have been a bunch of work to dress each one and set up the fights. I like the guy falling off the roof. Jack and his assistant are oblivious.

    I Hope I didn't miss any. I see that Totte has hit the limit and Ken is close too.

  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 998
    edited December 1969

    Thanks Barbult for your comments and for taking the time to go through all the renders. I m thinking that technically this is the half way point and there have been a tremendous number of really great renders.

  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    Thank you MelanieL, Gopherus, and Barbult for your comments. :)

    Barbult, I can tell you in general terms...

    I render in layers. I bring the renders into PSP XI and I duplicate and blend sometimes with multiple layers until I get a color I like. I use masking where necessary to remove portions that do not blend well with something that needs the blend. Or I render something again turning off what I do not want blended. Sometimes I try every blend mode available and pick the best one and even only after adding another layer to blend I will go back and change a prior blend. It's all very hit and miss. Like I said before, I don't know what or even why I'm doing, but I know what I like and I just keep doing until I get something I like.

    I also render using different light sets and see how they blend.

    In this image I used the glow shaders and the ultraviolet lights along with other lighting to get some of the really bright colors

    I did just recently get the PerfectFX8 tool. And, I must say it is truly wonderful what I have been able to do with it. It makes postwork so much easier. In this image the wall of m3 v3 shapes were pulled out taken to fx8 added back to the image and then the final image sent back to fx8. I got heavy into trying brushwork in this one.

    I also ventured to try using a volume camera, my first attempt. I have also learned to use the uber lights to make items glow, and I have started to use the advanced spot lights with gobo's.

    It also helps that I channel my higher self for inspiration. :)

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Zawarkal said:
    Thank you MelanieL, Gopherus, and Barbult for your comments. :)

    Barbult, I can tell you in general terms...

    I render in layers. I bring the renders into PSP XI and I duplicate and blend sometimes with multiple layers until I get a color I like. I use masking where necessary to remove portions that do not blend well with something that needs the blend. Or I render something again turning off what I do not want blended. Sometimes I try every blend mode available and pick the best one and even only after adding another layer to blend I will go back and change a prior blend. It's all very hit and miss. Like I said before, I don't know what or even why I'm doing, but I know what I like and I just keep doing until I get something I like.

    I also render using different light sets and see how they blend.

    In this image I used the glow shaders and the ultraviolet lights along with other lighting to get some of the really bright colors

    I did just recently get the PerfectFX8 tool. And, I must say it is truly wonderful what I have been able to do with it. It makes postwork so much easier. In this image the wall of m3 v3 shapes were pulled out taken to fx8 added back to the image and then the final image sent back to fx8. I got heavy into trying brushwork in this one.

    I also ventured to try using a volume camera, my first attempt. I have also learned to use the uber lights to make items glow, and I have started to use the advanced spot lights with gobo's.

    It also helps that I channel my higher self for inspiration. :)


    Wow! That's a lot of work. Thanks for the explanation. I keep thinking I'll try layers of renders some time, but I never actually do it. Maybe that is something to try on the next one. We'll see. You haven't volunteered to be a target, have you. If you did...
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    I thought about volunteering. But I am so used to not being included that I didn't want to feel disappointed if no one chose to do me. But since you suggested it I will go ahead and throw my name into the hat

    Also, the reason I do it the way I do it is because I cannot get a single render to look half as good as what most people do.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Zawarkal said:
    I thought about volunteering. But I am so used to not being included that I didn't want to feel disappointed if no one chose to do me. But since you suggested it I will go ahead and throw my name into the hat

    Also, the reason I do it the way I do it is because I cannot get a single render to look half as good as what most people do.


    Hopefully Totte will come along soon and put your name up on page one so everybody sees it in the list.
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    yeah, but even if no one chooses me, I was at least asked... for me that is a step up and I'm happy to have been asked

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Zawarkal said:
    yeah, but even if no one chooses me, I was at least asked... for me that is a step up and I'm happy to have been asked

    Well, you've already been chosen. I'm working on it now. This will be quite a departure for me, as I try to emulate your style. This will be a challenge!
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    oh how fun!

    just think weird and you should do fine, lol

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    Zawarkal said:
    oh how fun!

    just think weird and you should do fine, lol


    Do you choose to reveal your gender so I use the correct pronoun? If not, you'll be a "he". I'm a "she".
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

    I am a she. Thanks for asking

  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for you deep insightful comments barbult, and I so happy you all like this RRRR idea. It was not easy to figure out a way to make the rules to be not intrusive but still with a touch of mocking, but when I see the outcome it's more honoring than mocking, which is really what I had in mind.

    I reached my limit, but I think we've got to run a second one, and now when all who haven't been here so long sees how easy it is we might get more entries.

  • barbultbarbult Posts: 19,008
    edited December 1969

    barbult said:
    The other one gave me some interesting items:

    1605 Lost Gallows (pretty new)
    1340 Skin Overlay Bundle
    1035 A Thousand and Three Nights
    766 Stateroom Poses

    The skin overlay usage is pretty hard to see after I applied all the colorful postwork, but it is there. I applied every overly at its max setting. Zawarkal's pose is really an M4 pose from the Stateroom Poses product, but it went onto G2F well enough. I did have to rotate her to get the leg through the rope. And I used Handy Dandy to adjust the feet and hands.

    Also Used:
    Genesis 2 Female
    Various G2F morphs to make Zawarkal less generic
    Scoopback Minidress
    Supersuit two-toned shaders for the minidress
    Xenia Hair
    Handy Dandy
    Photoshop filters galore.

    Tag: barbult #5
    A Colorful Day in the Life of Zawarkal

    Some people think Zawarkal is weird. They just don't get her. Well, I'll admit, she does have an unusual exercise routine, with the noose leg lifts and all. And her home is rather exotic looking. But here in RRRR-Land, she fits right in! We love her COLOR commentary.

    RRRR_1003_Nights_Lost_Gallows_Skin_Overlay_Stateroom_Poses.jpg
    2000 x 1585 - 2M
  • TotteTotte Posts: 12,431
    edited March 2014

    Another one that is really right on the theme barbult. You made a perfect entry again!

    This reminds me of a story from the mid 80's. A friend's friend played in a band that played DEVO-covers (anyone remember the band DEVO?).
    The were very good, he played bass in the coverband. And I met him not very often (mostly when my friend had his birthday party) and one day he told me they had split their band, so I had to ask why? And then he told me that they had been invited to play at the after gig party when DEVO played in Stockholm, and when they had played a bunch of songs, the singer in DEVO came up to them, shook their hands and said the words "Hey guys, you are great, you are even more DEVO than us!". Who can continue after that?

    Post edited by Totte on
  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 998
    edited December 1969

    good one Barbult, very Bollywood!

Sign In or Register to comment.