GenX2 and Genesis 2 AddOn released! [Commercial]

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Strixowl said:
    The Genesis 2 Add-On should be released the same day as GenX2. And I'm still hoping for a release in February, so maybe toworrow ...

I missed something. Genesis 2 Add-On??I believe they mean an upgrade to GenX to allow it to work with Genesis 2 characters. So you'd have GenX2 as a 'pure' product, supporting Genesis 2 OOTB, and you'd have the Genesis 2 add-on for GenX.

Hopefully I'm reading that right.

-- Morgan

P.s. I still don't know if I'm going to need the legacy characters that got released a few weeks ago. Since I have M4 and V4 for their respective G2's via Slosh and MallenLane, I imagine not for 95% of characters, but I'm not sure how it'll work.

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Strixowl: Like version 1, the GenX2 plugin includes support for generation 4 figures as sources and Genesis 1 as source and target for morph transfer. The Genesis 2 add-on adds support for Genesis 2 Female and Male as source and target, just like the Gen3 add-ons add support for generation 3 figures. The Genesis 2 add-on requires GenX2, it will not work with version 1.x of GenX.

Cypherfox: No third party products are required to use GenX2 with Genesis, Genesis 2, or generation 4 figures. GenX2 converts the clone morphs into morphs with adjusted rigging if required. However, GenX2 has the option to use the third party shape morphs for generation 4 figures as targets. For Genesis 2, either the Genesis shape morphs for V4 and M4 can be transferred from Genesis to Genesis 2, or you can use the V4 and M4 shape morphs for Genesis 2.

For generation 3 figures, the Genesis shape morph products are required, because they contain both, the shape morphs and the clone morphs. The generation 3 add-ons have been updated to work with GenX2 and to support Genesis 2 in conjunction with the Genesis 2 add-on.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

.... GenX2 converts the clone morphs into morphs with adjusted rigging if required.....

Would that mean it converts the Kids4 clone in Genesis too?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Yes. And there is a new option in GenX2, that first scales the clone to Genesis size (and then rescales it in DS), which improves the quality for morph transfer and bending.

• CMKook-24601CMKook-24601 Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

this is all nice... now if only they would give you a release date :P

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I hope they're not hanging on to it as an incentive to buy craploads of stuff during MM.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I hope they're not hanging on to it as an incentive to buy craploads of stuff during MM.

if they do I just hope he/she gets the full amount they would usually make on the item.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Yes. And there is a new option in GenX2, that first scales the clone to Genesis size (and then rescales it in DS), which improves the quality for morph transfer and bending.

Hip- hip-hurrah!
    Thank you!

edited December 1969

Usually, PA products don't have a scheduled "release date" at DAZ. PA's submit their products to DAZ, and DAZ processes them by testing, building installers, preparing store page, and so on. Products are released when the internal processing is finished. Unfortunately, this processing takes a bit longer for GenX2 than usual for several reasons, but it's making progress.

edited December 1969

Usually, PA products don't have a scheduled "release date" at DAZ. PA's submit their products to DAZ, and DAZ processes them by testing, building installers, preparing store page, and so on. Products are released when the internal processing is finished. Unfortunately, this processing takes a bit longer for GenX2 than usual for several reasons, but it's making progress.

progress is good ^_^

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited February 2014

Actually you now can request a specific date if the product has passed testing in time. However depending on their marketing strat and what else is schedualled for that time, might be moved to another.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Actually you now can request a specific date. However depending on their marketing strat and what else is schedualled for that time, might be moved to another.

I am guessing Yesterday isn't an option? :P

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

Lol looks like it...We all have to fight for space, and also see if that goes with what Daz has planned.

• edited December 1969

:( this is so disturbing...................
    im not buying anything else from dazstore until i have genx!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

D3D will there be some updates to the manual also? Hopefully some step by step tutorials included or posted after release, maybe a complete walkthrough of transferring a character?

For example.... a gen 4 for character that has 2 different head morphs and one body morph, plus 3 elf ear morphs and want to transfer all at the same time , a step by step or video tutorial of this process would be very helpful showing the different options to choose and how they work to transfer the morphs....just a suggestion if its possible :)

Thanks, eagerly awaiting release of this product !!

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited February 2014

Strixowl: Like version 1, the GenX2 plugin includes support for generation 4 figures as sources and Genesis 1 as source and target for morph transfer. The Genesis 2 add-on adds support for Genesis 2 Female and Male as source and target, just like the Gen3 add-ons add support for generation 3 figures. The Genesis 2 add-on requires GenX2, it will not work with version 1.x of GenX.

Cypherfox: No third party products are required to use GenX2 with Genesis, Genesis 2, or generation 4 figures. GenX2 converts the clone morphs into morphs with adjusted rigging if required. However, GenX2 has the option to use the third party shape morphs for generation 4 figures as targets. For Genesis 2, either the Genesis shape morphs for V4 and M4 can be transferred from Genesis to Genesis 2, or you can use the V4 and M4 shape morphs for Genesis 2.

For generation 3 figures, the Genesis shape morph products are required, because they contain both, the shape morphs and the clone morphs. The generation 3 add-ons have been updated to work with GenX2 and to support Genesis 2 in conjunction with the Genesis 2 add-on.

Great. Thanks for all the info. Now the product :)

Kharma mentioned above having a step by step tutorial taking one through the various options. I say ditto. :-)

Post edited by Strixowl on
  • drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    I saw updates for the previous GenX stuff in DIM yesterday -- that's progress, isn't it? Isn't it? ISN'T IT? :ahhh:

Yes, it is. :cheese:

The update seemed to be just to make it DIM compatible. Previously GenX had only been a manual executable download.

But it's true ... the tension is unbearable. I have about a hundred conversions ready in the wings. And then we can see what Genesis 2 can really do.

Hmm. The locations of the jawfixes and previous gen addons seems to have changed.

I use DIM only for downloads (not installation) and notice that the jawfixes and addons are installing in:

-

Just curious where is "AppData/DAZ 3D/Studio4/GenX/" ???

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 1969

The AppData folder is in your Users folder, usually on the C-drive. I don't think this location for the files has changed from the earlier version, though. But there are new .BAT files in the zip to accomodate the installation of GenX2.

edited December 1969

Kharma: The manual has been updated to reflect changes and new features in GenX2. It has a quickstart section explaining step by step how to transfer a character either based on separate morphs or as a single morph. However, there are many options and many ways how characters are set up, so a tutorial will hardly be able to cover all possible cases. It's easier for me answering particular questions then trying to do a tutorial that covers all or at least the most common cases.

spiderland: Shared data (i.e. data used by 32 and 64 bit versions of DS) was always stored under AppData. Version 1 of GenX seems to be updated as well, not sure why, it's highly recommended to uninstall it before installing GenX2. (Automated uninstalling seems to be not possible when using the exe installers, while DIM will remove the DLL for the other version to ensure only one version of the plugin is loaded.)

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

The DSON Importer exe uninstalls the old version before installing the new one, so I don't see why Gen X wouldn't be able to do the same.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

The DSON Importer exe uninstalls the old version before installing the new one, so I don't see why Gen X wouldn't be able to do the same.
    If you're installing a new version of the same product, then the uninstall happens as part of the installation run. If you're installing a NEW product, it can't reach out and automagically uninstall the other product. That would be weird.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Kharma: The manual has been updated to reflect changes and new features in GenX2. It has a quickstart section explaining step by step how to transfer a character either based on separate morphs or as a single morph. However, there are many options and many ways how characters are set up, so a tutorial will hardly be able to cover all possible cases. It's easier for me answering particular questions then trying to do a tutorial that covers all or at least the most common cases.

spiderland: Shared data (i.e. data used by 32 and 64 bit versions of DS) was always stored under AppData. Version 1 of GenX seems to be updated as well, not sure why, it's highly recommended to uninstall it before installing GenX2. (Automated uninstalling seems to be not possible when using the exe installers, while DIM will remove the DLL for the other version to ensure only one version of the plugin is loaded.)

ok D3D sounds fair :) Will post any questions I may have when It is finally out and have checked through the manual

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

I'm afraid I don't understand the following at all:

D3D said:

"Like version 1, the GenX2 plugin includes support for generation 4 figures as sources and Genesis 1 as source and target for morph transfer. The Genesis 2 add-on adds support for Genesis 2 Female and Male as source and target"

Does this mean:
    GenX2 plugin will convert V4 M4 to Genesis 2, and also convert Genesis 1 to Genesis 2 (source only), as well as allowing Genesis 2 to convert to Genesis 1(source and target) ?

I think this part is not hard to understand but If that is true then what does the Genesis 2 add-on do?

Is it all about the distinction between gender neutral Genesis 2 base which is free? as distinct from specific Genesis 2 Female and Genesis 2 Male?

Does the Genesis 2 add-on allow conversion between the Genesis 2 Male and Genesis 2 Female characters? If so, then my interpretation of GenX2 plugin is that it will for example allow morph transfers of let's say Thorne's Ksenia for V4 to Genesis 2.
    So is the end result some sort of special Genesis 2 Ksenia which is in some way different from a specific Genesis 2 Female such as Teen Josie 6? Meaning that one cannot blend it with any of the Genesis 2 Female characters that you may have such as Teen Josie 6?
    Or does it mean, as I'm suspecting, that in fact Genesis 2 Ksenia will in fact blend with any other Genesis 2 Female, but cannot blend with any Genesis 2 Male?

As you can see I'm struggling to understand the quoted sentence but I'm still grasping at what it really means.

I'd appreciate if someone who really understands the quoted passage from D3D would explain it with some actual examples of morph conversions from actual V4/M4 characters to V5/M5 characters etc. as I tried to to. I would be surprised if I were the only person who does not fully understand the difference between GenX2 plugin and the GeX2 add on.

Finally I have a separate question about GenX2 and Genesis 2 HD, are these compatible?

Thanks,

Dan

edited December 1969

The way I understand it is GenX2 is the full program if you don't have GenX, and the add on is what those who already have GenX would purchase for G2 support.

edited December 1969

TheWheelMan, Cypherfox: I don't build the installers, I'm just reporting what I was told (and how the installers I got were built).

drdancm: GenX2 is the new version of the plugin with several new features and improvements. However, it doesn't include support for any figures that were not already included in version 1 of GenX.

To convert anything from or to Genesis 2 Male or Female (there is no gender neutral Genesis 2, or did I miss it?), you need the Add-On product for Genesis 2, just like you need an Add-On for generation 3 Poser figures.

With the Genesis 2 Add-on for GenX2, you also may convert morphs from Male to Female version and vice versa. Because both are morph compatible (i.e. they have the same vertex number and order), this is not really a transfer by recalulating the morph, but it is a lossless conversion, which also includes HD morphs. Still, the morph will only look the same, if you morph the Male version to Female before applying a Female morph.

When transferring morphs from other figures to Genesis 2, you have to decide if you want the Male or Female version as target. So, you can transfer a V4 morph like Ksenia either to Genesis 2 Female or Male. As for GenX1, you need to morph the target figure into the shape of the source figure to get the same shape from the transferred morph. How well it works to blend with other morphs always depends on the morphs, not if they are transferred or require a particular base shape.

Kharma: There is only one GenX2 product. Previous customers of GenX (full or upgrade from Gen4) will receive a coupon for a reduced price. (Don't ask about the details of the coupon, they haven't been confirmed yet, so I don't know for sure.) The Genesis 2 Add-On for GenX2 will not work with version 1 of GenX, because most of the new features in GenX2 were done to allow morph transfer between TriAx figures.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Definitely looking forward to this, it's the only thing I'm buying from Daz for the foreseeable future.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Madbat said:
    Definitely looking forward to this, it's the only thing I'm buying from Daz for the foreseeable future.

With March Madness nearly upon us, I wish I could say the same.

edited February 2014

1. You need only one single plugin, GenX2. If you already own GenX1, you get a coupon for a highly reduced price.
    2. Figure support for Genesis 2 is by a separate add-on. This is in favor of customers who are interested in the GenX2 improvements, but not in Genesis 2.
    3. All existing add-ons for GenX have been updated for GenX2. These updates are free if you already own the add-on.

If you don't want to upgrade to GenX2 and get the Genesis 2 add-on, just because I split it into two products, that's your decision. But actually, I don't see the difference if I included Genesis 2 in GenX2 directly and raised the price accordingly, or when I split it to keep prices on the same level as before.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DM3DDM3D Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

Dimension3D - I can only imagine the work that you have put into GenX2. I couldn't begin to establish how one would price a product like this given the time and effort that must be involved. I know you have been working on it since Genesis2 was unveiled. It is a unique product and clearly saves users LOTS of money and time if they wish to transfer figures and morphs to the current Genesis2 model.

Market forces are well at work here. I respect that you will charge what you need to make it worth your time to continue developing and supporting these products. At least I hope so, because the alternative is simply that you bow out of the game and given some of the criticism and comments, I can only imagine that some days you must wonder if its worth it,

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Hi D3D.

I am a very happy customer, and I am more than happy to pay whatever the Uprgade and addon costs is to have this excellent product in my work flow..

Cheers,

S.K.