Genesis 2 is not Genesis

12346»

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited December 1969

I mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. One thing I've noticed is that a number of content creators for the Poser market have started adopting G2F. Most of them wouldn't touch Genesis with a 10-foot pole, or in the case of Aery Soul, produced one outfit right out of the box, and the sales didn't justify continued support.

Aery Soul, now Aeon Soul, just brought out their third G2F product (permit me to point out that G2F has only been available since the back half of July). I'm also seeing a number of vendors on Rendo bringing out products for G2F who by and large had ignored Genesis. Probably G2M as well.

Now, admittedly, the ability to be able to use a favorite vendor's products is probably not enough to cause many users to adopt a new figure wholesale, but clearly enough people are already using that figure to make it worth their efforts. Particularly given that the base is still free.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. One thing I've noticed is that a number of content creators for the Poser market have started adopting G2F. Most of them wouldn't touch Genesis with a 10-foot pole, or in the case of Aery Soul, produced one outfit right out of the box, and the sales didn't justify continued support.

Aery Soul, now Aeon Soul, just brought out their third G2F product (permit me to point out that G2F has only been available since the back half of July). I'm also seeing a number of vendors on Rendo bringing out products for G2F who by and large had ignored Genesis. Probably G2M as well.

Now, admittedly, the ability to be able to use a favorite vendor's products is probably not enough to cause many users to adopt a new figure wholesale, but clearly enough people are already using that figure to make it worth their efforts. Particularly given that the base is still free.

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of people who still have problems using Genesis in Poser don't seem to have the same difficulties with the Genesis 2 figures. After all, once you leave DAZ3D.com, it's a fairly Poser-centric world out there, and I don't think anybody is crazy about Rex and Roxy. (And after seven years, it's got to be darn hard to come up with yet another new product for V4.)
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I think this has a lot to do with the fact that a lot of people who still have problems using Genesis in Poser don't seem to have the same difficulties with the Genesis 2 figures. After all, once you leave DAZ3D.com, it's a fairly Poser-centric world out there, and I don't think anybody is crazy about Rex and Roxy. (And after seven years, it's got to be darn hard to come up with yet another new product for V4.)

I'd argue it's more a willingness to learn how to use the DSON importer than any major problems they may have had with Genesis. It's still a DSON file after all, so it still needs to be imported in the same manner as classic Genesis. Either way it's great to see it being more widely adopted. I'd pretty much relegated my Rendo purchases to props and scenery items which are more universal since they're exceptionally V4 centric on the site. The other Gen 4 figures don't even get half as much attention and Genesis is practically just an afterthought on the site. With Genesis 2 products becoming a bit more available, I might find myself picking up a few new toys.

Daz is still the best site for Genesis 2 products, of course, but even if it's a trickle it's nice to see a bit more support for it.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,250
    edited December 1969

I'd argue it's more a willingness to learn how to use the DSON importer than any major problems they may have had with Genesis. It's still a DSON file after all, so it still needs to be imported in the same manner as classic Genesis. Either way it's great to see it being more widely adopted. I'd pretty much relegated my Rendo purchases to props and scenery items which are more universal since they're exceptionally V4 centric on the site. The other Gen 4 figures don't even get half as much attention and Genesis is practically just an afterthought on the site. With Genesis 2 products becoming a bit more available, I might find myself picking up a few new toys.

Daz is still the best site for Genesis 2 products, of course, but even if it's a trickle it's nice to see a bit more support for it.

I'm not a Poser user. Does the V4 shape for G2F work in Poser? In DazStudio, I find the results for fit are better on G2F than Genesis.

edited December 1969

Except that I frequently see people saying that they still can't get Gen5 to work while Gen 6 seems less of an issue. I thought it was weird too, but I've seen it posted by a number of different people, so my guess is that there's some minor tweaking under the hood.

And actually, there's more on Rendo than you'd think. Nearly 180 Genesis characters sets, for example, though most are hybrid V4/V5 combos. The truth is that I've bought more V5 stuff over there in the last year than I have at DAZ, where most of my Gen 5 character sets tend to come as part of bundles. It is, as you say, still an overwhelmingly V4 focused environment, but for that I've got GenX.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    ...I'm not a Poser user. Does the V4 shape for G2F work in Poser? In DazStudio, I find the results for fit are better on G2F than Genesis.

Yes, it's just another dialed morph, like any other, and they all load into Poser with G2F automatically.

• josh.pactorjosh.pactor Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

Muze said:
    I'm waiting for Genesis 3, it can morph into anything !!!!

LOL...i can see it now...the stay puft marshmallow man.

Would you prefer J. Edgar Hoover?

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Muze said:

Yes, because there are many dresses to autofit to him there. :)

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited February 2014

JOdel said:

Isn't it rather that Renderosity is very focused on female content (usually flirty at best)? Gen2F is a realistic woman and they take advantage of that.

Whereas G2-F and G2-M have shipped, free, with full skin sets, hair, basic clothing and poses, plus a set and some props.

Skin and props, yes. But clothing and hair? Gen2M has those boxing shorts and Gen2F her underwear plus, since some time, a good set of trousers and blouse, I don't remember the name. Gen2F has Toulouse Hair, which is a nice short haircut, but she got it lately, when Gen2M came out. Gen2M doesn't have a hair on his own at all. It's only when you combine all three starter essentials that you can actually start somewhere (five hairdos, six clothing sets).

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
  • TrollgoblinTrollgoblin Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks for the awesome and informative quick replies!!

I'm really interrested in the M4 -Conversion to- Genesis/Genesis2 programms, actually.
    I've been gifted 2 characters allready on that other 3D modeling site (not sure if I can name the name for 3rd party stores? Starts with an R, enders on 'Osity'), and I bought M4 pro bundle just to be able to use them fully.

But I very much allready notice the diff in quality to the 'try out 'n enjoy' Gen2M stuff I got with Daz.
    If I can convert them, and improve the quality with the help of extra programms... maybe this not-so-rich-guy can dish out a few more coins for Genesis/Gen2 conversions.

And looking forward to the results of GenX for 2. I'm really starting to enjoy this new hobby I picked up. ^__^

edited February 2014

Whereas G2-F and G2-M have shipped, free, with full skin sets, hair, basic clothing and poses, plus a set and some props.

Skin and props, yes. But clothing and hair? Gen2M has those boxing shorts and Gen2F her underwear plus, since some time, a good set of trousers and blouse, I don't remember the name. Gen2F has Toulouse Hair, which is a nice short haircut, but she got it lately, when Gen2M came out. Gen2M doesn't have a hair on his own at all. It's only when you combine all three starter essentials that you can actually start somewhere (five hairdos, six clothing sets).
    The other outfit with Gen2-F is the Persian Beauty outfit. The boxing shorts came with M6, not the free G2-M base.

G2-M comes with the Surf's Up set, which is a muscle-shirt, shorts, baseball cap, flip flops, a surfboard and an additional set of poses for G2M and the board. Granted, G2-M didn't get a NEW hair prop, however he did get a beard set with multiple options as part of the Phillip skin texture set and let's not forget that the contents of the Genesis Essentials starter bundle ALSO work instantly with the Gen2s. So, for no charge you also get instant access to Aldora Hair, Duke Hair, Sally Mae Hair, and Wild Mane Hair, plus you get the Magus and Journeyer scout outfits, Aikinaro, Alchemy Chasm, the base SubDragon, etc.... That's as opposed to the pre-Genesis upgrades, where new figures like V4 came as a stripped down base with sample resolution textures for the skin and hair, the basic expressions morphs plus 10 poses. (And needless to say, none of those skins had the SSS and vascularity options.) As someone who's bought every DAZ figure as they came out since Stephanie 3, I really can't say that the value of what DAZ currently supplies for free to someone starting with either Genesis set is in any way inferior to what you had to buy to move into Gen 4, not even if you started buying during the period where all the base figures were free and V4 in the purple painted bikini came as part of the base DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

*Looks at Cybersox13 signature*

With genesis, sure, cross-dressing is possible, figured that out.
    Is there actually a.. way to crossdress G2-M and G2-F?
    That would make for some very interresting renders *Chuckle*

Butch ladies & Lady-lads.

I used to draw (cartoons) a lot before turning to Daz3D, and those were often the main characters for comissions and art-trades: Gender-benders/blenders.
    It's actually one of the most requested character-portrait/action pics kind in some worlds, and I quite enjoy getting creative with it.

Would the autofit allow for cross-dressing?
    If not, what's needed?
    And what kind of tools would people recommend, for Genesis/Genesis 2?
    I've allready got the GenX bookmarked, and own M4/V4.2. Is it still necessary to get the shapes for genesis?

Sorry, many mucho questions. ^^

edited December 1969

Muze said:

J. Edgar Hoover will appear and destroy us, okay? So empty your heads, don't think of anything...

• ServantServant Posts: 756
    edited February 2014

Would the autofit allow for cross-dressing?
    If not, what's needed?
    And what kind of tools would people recommend, for Genesis/Genesis 2?
    I've allready got the GenX bookmarked, and own M4/V4.2. Is it still necessary to get the shapes for genesis?

Sorry, many mucho questions. ^^

Autofit for Genesis 1 clothes to Genesis 2 should work, but you might need to tweak them a bit. There's a G2M clone for G2F included in the Starter Essentials.

Not sure what Tools you mean as there are a ton available for Genesis 1for morphs and such. Can you be more specific?

Yes. Get the M4/V4 shapes for Genesis. Not sure about Genesis 2, but I can certainly say my workflow improved greatly with having the V4/M4 shapes for Genesis (particularly with the M4 clothes). It's also the only way to make sure Gen X for Genesis works properly with the M4/V4 morphs you intend to export.

Post edited by Servant on