edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Many fires today, starting to see some smoke in the north east

I hope you are out of harm's way!

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...meanwhile here the city issued ice storm warnings for the rest of tonight and all day tomorrow. The forecast calls for between 1/4/" - 1/2" of ice accumulation on top of the 8"+ of snow we already have. Time to just stay inside and keep warm & safe.

[ETA]

Beginning to get a bit serious weatherwise here.

As of 9:00pm this evening local time, the city's bureau of transportation is warning everyone to "stay home" all and not travel due to hazardous conditions on the streets and sidewalks. Light rail service throughout the area ceased operations at 7:45 due to weather related issues (most likely ice on the overhead lines).

Had the lights flicker a few times but so far so good.

I hope the power stays on for you! Losing power sucks. Especially when it's cold.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...yeah, though it's warmer now than it has been the lat four of five days. have my flashlight, extra batteries, and candles at the ready just in case

Shut down the workstation as well (and I was just getting a feel for of playing around with Carrara's modeller, actually pretty nice).

Just checked outside and the snow is covered in a thick coating of ice as are the trees and bushes. The bamboo by the side of the house was bending over badly so I knocked what ice I could off. The side of the neighbour's house facing the wind is also completely ice coated.

At least I was able to make my homemade burrito feast for dinner.

Don't use the heaters in my place anyway because they are those "in the wall" types that make me nervous. At least my bedroom stays warm and I have a tonne of blankets (including a space blanket).

While I still have power, I think a cup of hot cocoa is in order.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,389
    edited December 1969

Indeed, all should watch out for the snow :O

Will take you by surprise every time :)

1560714_607623342625077_82738258_n.jpg
    960 x 720 - 58K
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

I'm good, a little tired. This is us, well a couple of hours ago us I guess, fires and storms but no firestorm, no matter what the media are saying :lol:

fnu.png
    346 x 233 - 106K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

no wifi all night, all morning.

finally up then bam bam magneto

untitled3.jpg
    1024 x 600 - 109K
    untitled2.jpg
    1024 x 600 - 109K
    untitled1.jpg
    1024 x 600 - 107K
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

I'm good, a little tired. This is us, well a couple of hours ago us I guess, fires and storms but no firestorm, no matter what the media are saying :lol:

too many '!!'

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Indeed, all should watch out for the snow :O

Will take you by surprise every time :)

aww, missed the flight south

edited December 1969

first bastion makes some nice looking stuff

hunkering to wait for flash sale

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

....that still looks too close for comfort.

Here it's the opposite, Ice (hmm, "fire and ice")

Storm moved in quicker and was heavier than expected yesterday . Beginning to warm up as I see some water dripping from branches and the neighbour's house no longer has a sheet of ice on the side. City is still warning people to stay off the streets and sidewalks while the NWS has issued another ice storm warning through noon here. Transit system's trains are running again but on very limited schedules even for Sunday.

Power still on but not out of "the woods quite" yet as wires are still ice coated. Should a wind kick up or we get more ice, that could be bad.

Going to take all day to thaw out. Good day to stay inside.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

does anybody know which pose looks like that Assassins creed stance?
    you know the one gazing out out the hood with knives poised

edited December 1969

hot cocoa sounds good.

wifi up and down again. is driving me to cake

CAKE!!! with coconut flakes on it

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

I'm guessing you don't want to be in the red triangle pile.

edited December 1969

Morning. Cooler today so far here and not so windy. Short of sleep trying not to be grumpy, bit of a cool breeze is putting smiles on tired faces :)

edited December 1969

...is it helping with the fire situation?

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

Dana

I'm guessing you don't want to be in the red triangle pile.

Triangles are on the move this morning, lot of activity north west, we're defending well but fire has got into the suburbs.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...is it helping with the fire situation?

Isnt going to rain, is still a big emergency but cool breeze lifts the spirits a little :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Our trace of snow has turned into 4 inches and still going

edited February 2014

...the thaw here is going very slowly. Still a coating of ice on many tree branches. The bamboo on the side of the house is slowly bending back upright, but deck is still ice covered. Haven't yet ventured out the door to check the street and walkway.

Complaint,

Job search sites that send you to yet another job search site (think they've taken a page out of the pr0n sites' playbook).

Saw a great opening I that looked like it would fit my experience.. When I clicked on the "Apply" I was sent to a new employment search site that I had to register on to get the complete job details. OK a bother as I have to create yet another profile (of course It means I will probably get spammed even more with "jobs for you" emails now and another password for FF or Norton to remember). So I create the profile make a new password (saved to FF) and get to the point to upload a resume. Since it is a clerical/office position I choose one that is best suited and click upload. Simple, right? Not this time as the upload fails I try an alternate RTF version I have it but also fails, all this in spite of the fact the site specifies it accepts .doc .rtf .txt formats. So I copy/paste it into the window provided which has some sort of text editor ive neve seen before. Now normally when I do this everything is converted to .txt format which is still very readable and for the most, part preserves the basic layout requiring a minimum of hand editing.

...not this time. Everything went wonky: line spacing, indents, font sizes, font styles, all seemed to be randomly affected. After spending nearly thirty frustrating minutes trying to hand fix the issues by hand I gave up as it appeared sometimes a fix would work here, but not there. Finally deleted the whole mess and sent a message to them mentioning the failure of the resume upload (which I never had happen on any other site before) along with the difficulties I experienced trying to use the editor provided to fix the formatting errors on the version I pasted in.

Really frustrates me a bit as this always seems to occur when I find a job I might actually qualify for.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

hot cocoa sounds good.

wifi up and down again. is driving me to cake

CAKE!!! with coconut flakes on it

Home sweet home. Needz cake as well. Still got some pesky triangles moving around here but is obvious that the media is lost the plot, is nowhere near as bad as five years ago. Pineapple and coconut cake would be good :)

210noon.png
    283 x 253 - 96K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...the thaw here is going very slowly. Still a coating of ice on many tree branches. The bamboo on the side of the house is slowly bending back upright, but deck is still ice covered. Haven't yet ventured out the door to check the street and walkway.

Complaint,

Job search sites that send you to yet another job search site (think they've taken a page out of the pr0n sites' playbook).

Saw a great opening I that looked like it would fit my experience.. When I clicked on the "Apply" I was sent to a new employment search site that I had to register on to get the complete job details. OK a bother as I have to create yet another profile (of course It means I will probably get spammed even more with "jobs for you" emails now and another password for FF or Norton to remember). So I create the profile make a new password (saved to FF) and get to the point to upload a resume. Since it is a clerical/office position I choose one that is best suited and click upload. Simple, right? Not this time as the upload fails I try an alternate RTF version I have it but also fails, all this in spite of the fact the site specifies it accepts .doc .rtf .txt formats. So I copy/paste it into the window provided which has some sort of text editor ive neve seen before. Now normally when I do this everything is converted to .txt format which is still very readable and for the most, part preserves the basic layout requiring a minimum of hand editing.

...not this time. Everything went wonky: line spacing, indents, font sizes, font styles, all seemed to be randomly affected. After spending nearly thirty frustrating minutes trying to hand fix the issues by hand I gave up as it appeared sometimes a fix would work here, but not there. Finally deleted the whole mess and sent a message to them mentioning the failure of the resume upload (which I never had happen on any other site before) along with the difficulties I experienced trying to use the editor provided to fix the formatting errors on the version I pasted in.

Really frustrates me a bit as this always seems to occur when I find a job I might actually qualify for.

What version of Word or Office do you have? They've not used .doc since at least Office 2007 (which is what I have), they use the .docx format. But you can Save As... in the old .doc format.

Dana

edited December 1969

...their site specified .doc not docx. When I was still with my old, company we updated to Office 2010 from 2K and I was still able to open .doc and .xls files as well as save them in the newer file formats. I only have office 2K at home so I am unable to save in the docx. format as that isn't an option.

In any case, the .rtf version should have still uploaded as that format hasn't changed, which means it must be a read error on their end.

edited December 1969

midnight snack time Cheeri-Os :bug:

edited December 1969

...getting ready to sit down to a good fish dinner here.

Looks like life will be getting back to some sense of normalcy tomorrow. Still a lot of school closures as there is a threat of more freezing rain in the morning. However local city and state office are scheduled to be open. Errands tomorrow like going to the Social Services depend on the transit system being back up and running at least close to schedule and sidewalks thawing out.

edited December 1969

Cooled down this afternoon. Little triangles on the move all over town. One of the power stations is on fire now, miles away. And South Wharf, that's pretty close - Whisky Tango Foxtrot -to us down the river and on the other side - altho that looks like a small one. Doesn't feel so bad though, this time around. Where we used to live got trashed last night.

0210.png
    321 x 363 - 146K
    edited December 1969

...that cluster of "!!"s doesn't look too comforting.

What do the triangles with the "i" in them mean?

Also whereabouts are you on the map relation to all the hotspots?

edited December 1969

...well, been an odd yet eventful week.

Freezing cold on and windy Tuesday/Wednesday

UC measure stonwalled again on Thrusday

Double barreled snow storm paralyses the city Thursday night and Friday

...and lovingly "iced" on Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend was also the local Auto Show which was hyped up all last month.. Bet they had lousy attendance numbers. Yeah test drive that 230.000$ Ferrari on the streets here...I double dog dare ya'.

Just thinking about all that did and didn't happen this week has worn out.

Ah well, time to turn in

Nite all.

(yeah and the flutterbys are back this time to stay).

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...that cluster of "!!"s doesn't look too comforting.

What do the triangles with the "i" in them mean?

Also whereabouts are you on the map relation to all the hotspots?

colours are different threat levels, you click on the I or !! or whatever and it tells you where and what to do if you are there, theoretically heh ! Listening out for a siren is still the most reliable way of telling if something is up near you, fire updates quicker than any webpage does :lol: Everyone seems proud of the little triangles this year, don't usually have those :lol:

Exhausted right now, busy 36 hours and a studio shoot that felt very strange after all that Oscar Mike Golf send cake, squirrels and Warren Zevon, gots to be an epic poem here somewhere :lol:

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited December 1969

Mebbe "i" is info.
    white - yellow - orange - red
    warning - caution - danger - run

edited February 2014

tjohn said:
    Mebbe "i" is info.
    white - yellow - orange - red
    warning - caution - danger - run

http://www.emergency.vic.gov.au

Double exclamations are urgent I think :lol: Warrandyte is where we were :)

ew.png
    303 x 147 - 23K
    wf.png
    358 x 382 - 98K
    nux.png
    477 x 420 - 190K
    Post edited by ps1borg on
This discussion has been closed.