edited February 2014

it's doing it again :bug:

the 1-2" they predicted is now 5-8"

140203.png
    683 x 463 - 113K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Tue night over to Wed they are calling for heavy ice conditions and 6-10 inches of snow here.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I went out earlier because it looked as though it had stopped, but in the 15-20 mins. it took me to walk to the supermarket a block away, shop and start to walk back, it started snowing again. ~sheesh~ Enough is enough!!

We're supposed to get ice and sleet Tuesday into Wednesday here in NYC. The streets weren't bad when I went out, but who knows what we will have by Wednesday morning if the temp stays at, or lower than, the freezing point.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited February 2014

This is a little too much now. It's been the most snow we've gotten in the past 3 years. Enough already! I'm sure my son is grumbling now that he's taken over the shoveling/clearing snow off the car duty full time :-)

EDIT: I am in NJ (but work in NYC) so we've got a bit more snow here that NYC.

Post edited by ThatGuy on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

my dayjob texted me to not worry about going in tomorrow. in 11 years, they never done that. i work by macarthur airport

edited February 2014

my dayjob texted me to not worry about going in tomorrow. in 11 years, they never done that. i work by macarthur airport

I have a good friend who lives about 5 minutes from there, and I spoke to her earlier and they have a ton of snow. They always seem to get it worse than I do here in the City. Oh and she works downtown Manhattan on the 3rd shift of a Wall Street law firm, and as far as I know she hasn't gotten word to stay home, so unless they closed down the LIE because it isn't cleared out there, she'll be driving in (very slowly). Another friend who works at the same firm left at 4:00pm today, but not because they got word to go home. I worked there for 40 years before I retired, and I can count on one hand (and have fingers left over) how many times they told us to go home early because we were in the middle of a major storm. ~shakes head~

@LuluBelle - Yes, west of the City and out in Nassau/Suffolk counties on Long Island it's always worse.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

and it ain't over. oscar michael gulfffffff

groundhog has the good idea. stay in the burrow with wifi and a fridge full of beer

140204.JPG
    501 x 609 - 92K
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

I got about another 3 inches last night. Locally, as of Feb.1 we had 80 inches for January; our normal snowfall is 66 inches for the season.

My neighbor dug me out again tonight - he has a bobcat with a heated cab; I have a garden tractor with a front-end loader that died the death this summer - and a 180 foot driveway.

One thing we don't see much of in the area is power problems - usually restricted to someone loosing control on the road and taking out a utility pole, or a tree falling over in high winds. The local utilities are very aggressive about cutting off branches that hang over power lines. Makes for some odd-looking trees at times, but well worth it when the ice and high winds come through.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570
    edited December 1969

...getting strange here. The WC site says dry for the rest of the week and rain on the weekend. Local news site calls for snow on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday changing to freezing rain. Who to trust anymore?

Braved the wind and cold to go the the market and stock up anyway just in case.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,172
    edited February 2014

Well, I've had enough winter already.

A few days ago we had several inches of heavy wet snow that quickly mushed down into an inch of solid glare ice. Our driveway has a significant slope down to the main road. I have arthritis and heart problems. I'm a confirmed Florida boy out of his element. My car doesn't have four wheel drive. Combine all those realities and I'm stuck in here till spring, or at least the foreseeable future.

I watched my neighbor's wife unsuccessfully try to get up the driveway yesterday morning. She stomped into her house and a few minutes later her husband came out wearing only long sleeve sweat shirt and boxer shorts obviously woken up from his off-shift sleep cycle. He too couldn't get the car up more than about half the driveway, even after employing running starts from across the main road.

I grabbed my broom, opened the door to the 0F degree air on my porch and swept my way to the front steps, making large piles of snow on my way, to hand them a bag of salt. After emptying the bag he finally got the car to the parking area in back of the house.

Yesterday we had many more inches of snow, and the temperature forecast is for more snow on the weekend and temperatures hovering between 0F and 20F for the next week.

It could be worse. We at least have heat and electricity, (and food and TV and phone and Internet). Snuggling into my granny blanket and fuzzy slippers I have a small bottle of brandy and treat myself to a shot and watching reruns of Dr. Who until bedtime when I turn up the electric blanket and crawl deep into toasty dreamland.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...getting strange here. The WC site says dry for the rest of the week and rain on the weekend. Local news site calls for snow on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday changing to freezing rain. Who to trust anymore?

Braved the wind and cold to go the the market and stock up anyway just in case.

Best not to trust anyone. Forecasting weather is a black art.

edited February 2014

...yeah I wish I had that job, be wrong 60 - 70% of the time and not get sacked.

Well here looks like the local news site won out, 1 - 2" of snow forecast today and another 1 - 3" tonight. Been snowing since mid morning a fine powdery type snow instead of the normal wet heavy stuff we usually get. Temps in the low - mid 20s with winds gusting to 30mph. making it feel like a 6° out. Stocked up on food through the weekend so I don't have to go out.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

No blizzard warnings this week. Gonna be a pretty straight forward winter week. Cold and overcast.

• edited February 2014

SHOCK and AWE!!!

Wet stuff!

It actually rained last night!!!

FOG! Real live Coastal FOG is hiding the redwoods around me today!

I was starting to think I was trapped in a perpetual summer! Eeek!

I admit. it is nice to be able to recline in the warm sun outside on a winter's day and go for hikes in the park without a trace of chill in the air, but it does start to get rather boring and trying after a while. Plus, I worry about suddenly going up in a puff of dry smoke when summer truly arrives.

Hoping and wishing for more rain and fog here.

Maybe I won't have to be quite so jealous of the rest of the country hogging all the wet stuff. ;-)

I'm actually in danger of feeling nostalgic about the snow and blizzards on the north eastern coast. :ohh:

Post edited by 7th Stone Productions on
    edited December 1969

no more blizzardy. unsubscribe unsubscribe :lol:

another 4-8" tomorrow. on top of the last 4-8" :bug:

edited December 1969

Geeze, I just checked Weather.com for my area, and they're saying snow late tonight with 1-3 inches, and snow turning to rain tomorrow with 3-5 inches. Sheesh!!

At least the 10-day forecast shows the weather's going to start warming up above freezing tomorrow and continue through a week from Friday. That's hopeful, depending on the accuracy of that forecast. We all know that can change from day to day, or even hour to hour. ~shakes head~

• DirewrathDirewrath Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Here in the Midwest it reached above 30 degrees and it feels like a heatwave compared to the below freezing temps we have had. Sun is shining right now, and we had a slight snow earlier today which was actually kind of pretty.
    Great news for the rest of the week, we look like we are going to have some 50's in the not so distant future.

I feel for those going through the storms that are hitting the states all around us, be safe everyone.

Spring is right around the corner, hang on out there!

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Geeze, I just checked Weather.com for my area, and they're saying snow late tonight with 1-3 inches, and snow turning to rain tomorrow with 3-5 inches. Sheesh!!

At least the 10-day forecast shows the weather's going to start warming up above freezing tomorrow and continue through a week from Friday. That's hopeful, depending on the accuracy of that forecast. We all know that can change from day to day, or even hour to hour. ~shakes head~

...Last week the WC site said it would be raining here by Friday. the local news rag site said it would snow though Saturday before changing to freezing rain.

Local forecasters: 1
    TWC: 0

edited December 1969

itz a comin dowwwn

holey snow-oh-la

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

They lied...like a rug...

They said 1 to 3 inches for today...I'm getting that per HOUR!

I've got about a foot, right now, and no signs of it slowing down/stopping, any time in the near future (or not so near, looking at the radar maps).

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

We aren't getting snow here yet - but come midnight...

Oh, and it's -14C out there right now.

edited February 2014

says snow all night. :snake: ghastly

i don't know why it says rain. no rain, just chubby flakes.

expecting to loose my wifi any minute. my cel phone can't get enough bars to send a text.

untitled1.jpg
    675 x 461 - 157K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

All said and done...21".

Now it stopped piling up at 18"...so I measured on a cleared surface for the last 3". It got heavier/wetter as it went along. They are still calling for some more overnight and into the day, Friday...

edited December 1969

...our local news site almost was spot on. They forecast 1- 3" from the first storm 2 - 5" from the second. In the end we got between 8 - 9" in the city before the ice storm hit (which the local new site also forecast). The WC site missed it by the proverbial mile.

in honor/honour of forum search being back

the sky will commemiorate  

commence dump 4-8" forecasting for caturday. surprise

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

In Sweden we get this kind of weather all the time during winter.  People hardly notice anymore, they just put on another layer of clothes. smiley

• MistyMist said:

in honor/honour of forum search being back

the sky will commemiorate  

commence dump 4-8" forecasting for caturday. surprise

So, you found the map to the cemetery?  Grave digger!  devil

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

I miss northern LI and then I don't. We are expecting 1 to 3 but down here but that will shut down this state. We share one snow plow with Tennesee and we're pretty sure they sold the plow blade to buy new rims and a gun rack. An inch of snow south of the Dixon line will clear a supermarket of milk, eggs and bread. Where all this French toast goes no one can say.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I'm not worried... Unless the snowblower won't start... Then I might be annoyed.

Damn... I should probably go fill up some of my auxiliary gas tanks... I hate lugging those things around... And filling them.   I usually keep about 30 gallons on hand and I'm down to about ten or twelve, not counting what is in my various machines.  One bright side... gas was about $ 1.95 per gallon the other day.  Ever since hurricane Sandy and that stupid ice storm fiasco a couple of years back, I no longer trust the county operate smoothly in an emergency... Or slightly dramatic event.

I soooo don't feel like doing this now, but I'm glad I read this thread, because it just reminded me...  Well, I'm off... If I don't do it now, there will be a mad panick this evening.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310
    edited January 2016

Has anyone been to Minnesota at this time of the year?  A mild winter in those parts is minus 30  centegrade and when it gets really chilly it hits minus 40.  Fortunately, when I went there some years ago, it was a mild October.

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on