[Released] Content Wizard [Commercial]

Comments

• Finally something that will make smart content... smart!

Thanks.

• Gusf1 said:

I don't supose this will work with Content Library/Catagory View?  If it could use the metadata to create Catagories, I'ld re-install ALL my content with it!

Gus

I don't understand.  The Content Library has never been about categories; it is organized by directories.  The Smart Content lab is all about categories.  

• James_H said:
    James_H said:

Ah, problem with standard file location. My rendo stuff is all separate. Are you saying this will only work with Drive C:? Or with the standard Daz location for Daz stuff?

That would be a significant limitation.

Read his main post again. It states: Automatically install product content folders across multiple locations and drives

I was basing this on the comment on the self-installer script above: I'd be delighted if I could install Rendo stuff to a separate drive & directory (and free stuff somewhere else) and get some form of metadata, as I do find smart content helps me. I know some rendo stuff has metadata anyway.

The self-installer script has that limitation.  That is for sharing with others.  You can share the product configuration files with others (if they have Content Wizard), and that doesn't have the limitations.  

Content Wizard works and will install across all drives and directories.  For the Smart Content, it is your responsibility to configure the Daz Studio’s Content Directory Manager to properly locate the files (i.e., set the top-level directories in "Daz Studio Formats" of the Content Directory Manager)

• Can one e.g. unzip a package to a temp folder, create metadata for that package in the temp folder? Then one can add the metadata back into the zip to save as a master package. Or doesn't create the actual Runtime\Support files?

Yes.  That is what the "Generate Self-Installer script with standardized zip files to share with others, as long as you own rights to the original product" means.  Content Wizard will create new zip files (with the Runtime/Support files) and with an extra self-installer script.  

• Can one e.g. unzip a package to a temp folder, create metadata for that package in the temp folder? Then one can add the metadata back into the zip to save as a master package. Or doesn't create the actual Runtime\Support files?

Yes.  That is what the "Generate Self-Installer script with standardized zip files to share with others, as long as you own rights to the original product" means.  Content Wizard will create new zip files (with the Runtime/Support files) and with an extra self-installer script.  

Great stuff, in the cart it goes. Oh wait, it's not released yet angry

Great stuff, in the cart it goes. Oh wait, it's not released yet angry

LOL.  THAT I can't control smiley

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    dragotx said:

So, am I understanding correctly that it only adds metadata to items that it unzips?  So if we already have stuff manually installed we will have to reinstall everything?

No, you don't have to reinstall everything.  As long as the user facing files (i.e., presets in People, Props, etc) can be found by DS, installing the metadata alone will work.  Content Wizard DOES need the original product zip files; it unzips them and uses their location to help analyze what each user facing file does.

Awesome, that makes this even better!  I've been wanting a utility like this ever since I started using Studio, definitely going to be a day one purchase for me!

• James_HJames_H Posts: 996

Great, misunderstood the self-installer script. Look forward to this.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,873

Just got a question: It can be used with DAZ's zip files from the Products page?
    There are many DAZ products that lacks of Metadata, especially pretty old ones... It can help me re-organizing that stuff? smiley

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited February 2020

My interest is peeked.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    Gusf1 said:

I don't supose this will work with Content Library/Catagory View?  If it could use the metadata to create Catagories, I'ld re-install ALL my content with it!

Gus

I don't understand.  The Content Library has never been about categories; it is organized by directories.  The Smart Content lab is all about categories.  

The Content Library I'm talking about is the one INSIDE Studio.  You start out with your directories and create Catagories from there.  Most of the Daz Studio files are fine, but the Poser files are dificult to deal with.  I have a LOT of freebies and such, so I was hoping with making it Smart Content aware, the script could at least pull the parts of products into one easy to find Catagory. 

If this kind of thing isn't a consideration for this Script, I apologize for derailing the discussion and hope for the day...

Gus

• Well, there goes my money sadsmiley

• dragotx said:
    dragotx said:

So, am I understanding correctly that it only adds metadata to items that it unzips?  So if we already have stuff manually installed we will have to reinstall everything?

No, you don't have to reinstall everything.  As long as the user facing files (i.e., presets in People, Props, etc) can be found by DS, installing the metadata alone will work.  Content Wizard DOES need the original product zip files; it unzips them and uses their location to help analyze what each user facing file does.

Awesome, that makes this even better!  I've been wanting a utility like this ever since I started using Studio, definitely going to be a day one purchase for me!

Great to hear!

• James_H said:

Great, misunderstood the self-installer script. Look forward to this.

Me too! smiley

• Imago said:

Just got a question: It can be used with DAZ's zip files from the Products page?
    There are many DAZ products that lacks of Metadata, especially pretty old ones... It can help me re-organizing that stuff? smiley

Yes, as long as they are modern enough.  Content Wizard would not help with V4 and earlier files that live in the Runtime directory.  They need to be modern enough that they follow using the People, Environments, Props, etc structure.

• tkdrobert said:

My interest is peeked.

Good to hear! smiley

• Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

The Content Library I'm talking about is the one INSIDE Studio.  You start out with your directories and create Catagories from there.  Most of the Daz Studio files are fine, but the Poser files are dificult to deal with.  I have a LOT of freebies and such, so I was hoping with making it Smart Content aware, the script could at least pull the parts of products into one easy to find Catagory. 

If this kind of thing isn't a consideration for this Script, I apologize for derailing the discussion and hope for the day...

Gus

Poser files are problematic with this product.  They tend to live exclusively in the Runtime directory.  They need to be modern enough that they follow using the People, Environments, Props, etc structure.

• Well, there goes my money sadsmiley

Thank you!  I will take good care of it. laugh

• Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

Poser files are problematic with this product.  They tend to live exclusively in the Runtime directory.  They need to be modern enough that they follow using the People, Environments, Props, etc structure.

Maybe as your next product: a script to save Poser files as DS files, so that Content Wizard can be used on that angel

• This is wonderful, can't wait to get it.

I'll be happy to contribute to your retirement fund.

Is it going to be here for March Madness?

Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

Maybe as your next product: a script to save Poser files as DS files, so that Content Wizard can be used on that angel

+100 to that! laugh

*Jams again credit card in the screen*

I own a massive amount of Poser stuff... Also it can solve what you told me about old DAZ products. wink

• Imago said:
    Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

+100 to that! laugh

I own a massive amount of Poser stuff... Also it can solve what you told me about old DAZ products. wink

How would you solve that problem? Curious so I can do it too.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

Can it be used to re-organize content on installation, i.e. to map the layout in the zip files into some other hierarchy?

In my experience, the file hierarchies in content tend to be fairly chaotic, which makes finding items a nightmare. I have my own homebrew solution which is based on two Python scripts that I wrote. When I get some new non-DAZ content, I unzip it, then duplicate the unzipped folder, and re-organize the folder according to my own preferred organization (for example, I group different figures by their approximate ethnicity, props and clothing into categories such as Sci-Fi, Historical, Steampunk, Fantasy, Contemporary etc.). The first of my two scripts compares the original Extract folder with the re-organized Install folder, and generates a 'recipe' file that creates a mapping from one folder to the other. When I'm ready to install, I run the second script, which takes the recipe file, extracts the content from the zip, and places the content according to the recipe. (Having a recipe file means I can reproduce the organization if I ever need to reinstall).

So if Content Wizard can do something similar -- i.e. allow me to change the layout of the content I install, and save that layout for future use -- I'd be very interested indeed, as I'd love to retire my rather janky Python scripts.

Imago said:
    Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

+100 to that! laugh

Since those folders do have some rules to follow about folder structure, it should be possible to build a script that recognizes that folder structure and identifies the content as what is should be.
    For example if it finds two files in Poses, one actual pose and one "material pose" (never understood that!) it would recognize their extensions (they are different) and re-arrange in a more friendly way, perhaps following latest DAZ Studio's structure (or very close to that) or , like Content Wizard here, let the user decide where to put things.
    Same thing with the content of other folders, it recognizes which folder is which and what they contains.
    Once re-arranged everything, it could install those files in the new folders and create the right metadata for them.

At least I gues it can be done. blush

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    Imago said:

For example if it finds two files in Poses, one actual pose and one "material pose" (never understood that!) it would recognize their extensions (they are different)

Poser material poses in the Pose folder have the same extension as regular poses. They're a hack of pz2 pose presets, which is why they're located there (that was before Poser introduced their official material presets formats)

Leana said:
    Imago said:

For example if it finds two files in Poses, one actual pose and one "material pose" (never understood that!) it would recognize their extensions (they are different)

Poser material poses in the Pose folder have the same extension as regular poses. They're a hack of pz2 pose presets, which is why they're located there (that was before Poser introduced their official material presets formats)

Perhaps it will have a "preview window" with everything listed and the user can select what they are and then install and create metadata. smiley

Probably it would be easier that way, in the end... A simple "tell me what it is and I'll do the rest for you" wink

But we are filling this thread with nonsense, better stop here. blush

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606

this sounds awesome!!! I cannot wait!

• Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

I was going to say no way @Doctor Jellybean....

Imago said:
    Imago said:
    Gusf1 said:
    Gusf1 said:

Gus

Gus

+100 to that! laugh

Since those folders do have some rules to follow about folder structure, it should be possible to build a script that recognizes that folder structure and identifies the content as what is should be.
    For example if it finds two files in Poses, one actual pose and one "material pose" (never understood that!) it would recognize their extensions (they are different) and re-arrange in a more friendly way, perhaps following latest DAZ Studio's structure (or very close to that) or , like Content Wizard here, let the user decide where to put things.
    Same thing with the content of other folders, it recognizes which folder is which and what they contains.
    Once re-arranged everything, it could install those files in the new folders and create the right metadata for them.

At least I gues it can be done. blush

...but maybe someday.  surprise 

The Content Wizard already took forever to do.  But maybe there can be a Poser Content Wizard or something if this does well and I can figure it out.  I might have to talk to you @Imagosmiley

• This is wonderful, can't wait to get it.

I'll be happy to contribute to your retirement fund.

Is it going to be here for March Madness?

Thank you!  I appreciate the donations! laugh 

Yes, it will be during March Madness.

• Can it be used to re-organize content on installation, i.e. to map the layout in the zip files into some other hierarchy?

In my experience, the file hierarchies in content tend to be fairly chaotic, which makes finding items a nightmare. I have my own homebrew solution which is based on two Python scripts that I wrote. When I get some new non-DAZ content, I unzip it, then duplicate the unzipped folder, and re-organize the folder according to my own preferred organization (for example, I group different figures by their approximate ethnicity, props and clothing into categories such as Sci-Fi, Historical, Steampunk, Fantasy, Contemporary etc.). The first of my two scripts compares the original Extract folder with the re-organized Install folder, and generates a 'recipe' file that creates a mapping from one folder to the other. When I'm ready to install, I run the second script, which takes the recipe file, extracts the content from the zip, and places the content according to the recipe. (Having a recipe file means I can reproduce the organization if I ever need to reinstall).

So if Content Wizard can do something similar -- i.e. allow me to change the layout of the content I install, and save that layout for future use -- I'd be very interested indeed, as I'd love to retire my rather janky Python scripts.

Interesting.  Content Wizard can help you change the layout but it is based on a folder mapping, not a file mapping, and right now, it is not on a per-product basis.  

If you get Content Wizard and play around with it, and see a way to get what you need with just a tweak, contact me and I will see if I could update it.