edited December 1969

what!!!! 10 - 14 inches

sputter but a few hours ago they said 4 - 8 inch. no take backsies

untitled1.jpg
    673 x 475 - 143K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163
    edited January 2014

Enjoy it! 8-o

Up here near Buffalo we have just a little snow, we're just COLD (3F = -16C) this morning, watching the snow slide by south of us down in Pennsylvania.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Enjoy it! 8-o

Up here near Buffalo we have just a little snow, we're just COLD (3F = -16C) this morning, watching the snow slide by south of us down in Pennsylvania.

As the traditional snowbelt laughs no doubt.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,310
    edited December 1969

Up here in Toronto, we're in the first days of this second "Polar vortex" we're supposedly looking forward to at least another week of deep frigid temperatures.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

We are gonna have single digit temps all week cause of it

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

iz snowing crazy outside. i don't think i'm going to be able to make it home tnite.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

iz snowing crazy outside. i don't think i'm going to be able to make it home tnite.

I heard last night the snow was "supposed" to start around noon, but I woke up around 9:30am and it was ALREADY snowing. Geeze, combine this and subfreezing temps, and I don't think I'll be going out of the house all week. ~sheesh~

If you're driving to and from work Misty, take it easy on the LIE, it's always a disaster waiting to happen in this kind of weather.

edited January 2014

Back when I was a kid during the last ice age, winter temperatures here of 0F (-17.7C) were not at all unusual, in fact were very common and we still had to slog a quarter mile through two feet of snow, to the school bus stop and stand in the cold waiting for it.

edited December 1969

Back when I was a kid during the last ice age, winter temperatures here of 0F (-17.7C) were not at all unusual, in fact were very common and we still had to slog a quarter mile through two feet of snow, to the school bus stop and stand in the cold waiting for it.

Uphill both ways? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Why yes! Yes it was!

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Why yes! Yes it was!

Bet you miss Chip Carter coming to visit and taking a stroll on top of buried cars atop the Skyway. Wonder if the Troopers and Erie County Sheriff's ever told him one of the cars he was standing on had a DB in it.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Why yes! Yes it was!

Only two ways? You had it easy! In my day we had to walk to school, then come home again immediately and walk again, uphill all 3 ways.

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

Why yes! Yes it was!

Only two ways? You had it easy! In my day we had to walk to school, then come home again immediately and walk again, uphill all 3 ways.

And then you had walk again so it's 4 ways.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2014

For all of us currently getting blanketed by the 'white' four letter word...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzruX276yF8

PS: Don't have your volume too loud...really, don't...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

No snow at all, but at 8 AM it was -14F with wind chill of -32F. Up to -6/-26 now. They're supposed to discontinue the wind chill warning by noon. High of +9F today. I'm taking winter off my Christmas card list.

edited December 1969

I'm sure we're all getting tired of the cold.

I think my furnace is getting tired too.

I woke up this morning and my bedroom was chillier than normal, but when I went downstairs it was like walking into a refrigerator. Checked the thermometer next to my computer desk and it said (actually it didn't speak, but I read it to be) 54 degrees F. (12C). OK, so now I'm sitting here with an extra layer of clothes on and a hooded sweatjacket too and am considering gloves.

Temperature outside is -9F (-23C) Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Road is pure white despite the nearly normal traffic.

• semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

I'm sure we're all getting tired of the cold.

I think my furnace is getting tired too.

Temperature outside is -9F (-23C) Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Road is pure white despite the nearly normal traffic.

No kidding. It's -8 here in Mi (n -25 to -30 depending on wind gusts). It's so cold that Hell's actually frozen over.. Hell, MI that is :lol:

frozen_over.JPG
    242 x 181 - 19K
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Actually what I am getting tired of are all the idiot weather people going outside to do the weather. That and wind chill being what is being given to us instead of real temps. Outside of that, it's winter and it gets cold where I live in the winter (Northern Illinois). No records are being broken here at the moment, so no news as far as I'm concerned. When it gets to -20 degrees (real temp) then we begin to have news.

I feel bad for those people being hurt by the fuel shortages. The idiocy of the people causing it make my blood boil. It's not like it's a surprise that it is going to be cold in the winter. You would think that if we can go to the moon, we could figure out how to have enough fuel available for heating in a cold winter. Oh wait, we can't go to the moon anymore.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

just saw a report that my little part of Michigan has gotten over 90 inches of snow so far and temps have gotten as low as -40

damn.

edited December 1969

An online friend told me he stayed home from work yesterday because it was -30F. I think he lives somewhere around 45 mins. or so outside of Chicago. I couldn't blame him, but we had 34 degrees here in NY yesterday. Today it's a high of 20 degrees. It's really strange how disparate the temps get across the US, except of course between north and south, but from what folks are saying across the northern states, it's been really odd. Then again this has been the craziest weather pattern in a very long time. I've had a very bad cold for almost 3 weeks, but it's not strange if you consider that one day the weather is 9 degrees and the next is in the low 30's.

I can't WAIT for summer, though I'll probably complain then too with the heat and especially the humidity. ~shakes head~

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

A half inch to an inch of ICE in Pensacola, FL. I'm knocking ice off my evergreens at the front door that have bent over half their size (they are 12 feet) due to the weight of it. Trying to save them.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    A half inch to an inch of ICE in Pensacola, FL. I'm knocking ice off my evergreens at the front door that have bent over half their size (they are 12 feet) due to the weight of it. Trying to save them.

Goodness! Ice is much heavier than snow, but I've seen trees bent just from a few inches of snow alone.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

It's now ten minutes till 11pm and I am still knocking off ice- still sleeting. But so far I am winning :) The tree branches haven't broken yet. I keep thrashing it against my porch pillar to knock the ice off of it, it is kinda straightening up. Now 9,000 people out of power. (Was 1000.) The more interesting thing is that ALL bridges are closed- and Pensacola / Gulf Breeze and surrounding communities are all linked by bridges. You can't go from one town to the other without big bridges, it's really pretty (the bay flows between the towns and the Gulf Of Mexico borders Gulf Breeze and Pensacola.

Just saw on Weather Channel.com that Atlanta is in gridlock. Looks like rush hour. People are STUPID. There's not that many "essential personnel" that had to get out in this. So they don't get any sympathy from me unless it was work related or an emergency. They KNEW this was coming.

edited January 2014

Novica said:
    It's now ten minutes till 11pm and I am still knocking off ice- still sleeting. But so far I am winning :) The tree branches haven't broken yet. I keep thrashing it against my porch pillar to knock the ice off of it, it is kinda straightening up. Now 9,000 people out of power. (Was 1000.) The more interesting thing is that ALL bridges are closed- and Pensacola / Gulf Breeze and surrounding communities are all linked by bridges. You can't go from one town to the other without big bridges, it's really pretty (the bay flows between the towns and the Gulf Of Mexico borders Gulf Breeze and Pensacola.

Just saw on Weather Channel.com that Atlanta is in gridlock. Looks like rush hour. People are STUPID. There's not that many "essential personnel" that had to get out in this. So they don't get any sympathy from me unless it was work related or an emergency. They KNEW this was coming.

Yes, people are stupid. I could never rationalize human behavior until I realized that in general, people are stupid. Remembering that helps me get through the day. It also makes it easy to fool them and lead them around like sheep. And of course the "Wizard's First Rule:" is "People are stupid. They'll believe anything they want to believe or anything that they are afraid might be true."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_First_Rule

I'd much rather be a wizard than a people.

But stepping off my soapbox and getting back to the weather.

This morning was almost as bad as yesterday. Today it was only -8F instead of -9F at 8:00 AM here in western NY State. But I've discovered why my apartment is so cold. The cold is coming from the basement, up through the floorboards, through the rug and forming a few inches thick layer of 35F (2C) cold air along the floor. No insulation between basement and first floor. Also started checking the windows and cold air is falling from them like an invisible waterfall. Single pane glass, no stormwindows. Poor furnace is running almost all the time and the air at chest height around my computer desk is at most 60 degrees when I have my electric space heater turned on for a few hours. I wear extra clothes and keep my sweatshirt jacket hood around my head. And I wrap myself in a blanket while watching TV with my hands stuck in the pocket of the sweatshirt jacket.

I'd complain to the landlady but the rent here is quite reasonable and hasn't been increased in five years and I can't afford for it to be increased, and heat and electricity are included in the rent. If I complain then one or more of those fortunate things will change. Avoiding a few days a year of huddling in a blanket is not worth an increase in rent.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited January 2014

...on the last account, same here.

Rents here in Portland are ridiculous. I actually have a very good deal for what I am paying considering. Most flats in the city are running for 700$ or more, even for a studio and that is without utilities. Here in the Northwest most places have electric heat as one time long ago, electricity was cheap (not anymore) as it was all hydro power. A lot of places (particularly out on the burbs) have those inefficient baseboard heaters which are conveniently located right beneath (often) single pane windows. Furthermore insulation is poor unless you are in a newly built "eco friendly" unit (which are very expensive). So during the winter, heating your flat alone can easily add another 100 - 150$ to your monthly expenses.

My place has those "in wall" heaters but I rarely use them unless it gets really cold as they are not the best and can be fire hazards. So I just wear warm clothing and keep a throw blanket handy. The good thing is the bedroom is next to the furnace for the main house so it stays reasonably warm in there. As it doesn't get bitterly cold here (low teens are usually as cold as it gets), it is "tolerable". The good thing is I am insulated from the wind on all sides so at least, no drafts.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

We moved back to Ohio cause the cost of living was half of what it was in Texas.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...while the cost of living in Milwaukee WI is a lot lower than here, the climate there is worse for my arthritis due to all the rapid weather changes, the long cold winters, and the effect of Lake Michigan.

Milwaukee's transit system has also taken a major beating during the recession and is almost a ghost of what it once was. Many employers there strictly mention they will not hire anyone who rides transit in their postings. The costs may be lower but the opportunities are fewer for those who don't drive which is not a good tradeoff.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...while the cost of living in Milwaukee WI is a lot lower than here, the climate there is worse for my arthritis due to all the rapid weather changes, the long cold winters, and the effect of Lake Michigan.

Same here. I felt a bit better while I was in Texas cause they don't have the constant fluctuations. Different elevation as well which does has an effect.