Valley And Hills pollycount?

I hope someone can tell us the pollycount for https://www.daz3d.com/valley-and-hills by @Andrey Pestryakov because it looks massive. There are two versions included but I'm not clear on what they offer.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

every product I own by them is massive in polycount so I would wager those are no exceptions 

(sorry don't own it just an educated guess)

laugh

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Yep, same for me, but they do look beautiful. Maybe I'll stop eating for a couple of months and use my pension to buy a better PC just for his products - I'm only half joking, 'cos I'm fat enough to last that long on bread and water laugh

• It'll be high. It looks lovely and I always get the urge to pay up. The one scene I do have simply cannot render in GPU even though it's 6Gb. The results are amazing.

But... I have FlowScape (FS) where I can create my own landscape, whether it be large or small. Admittedly getting DS & FS to work together is not as easy as it could be, but there are ways (Backgrounds in DS or DS obj export and then obj import into FS). The rendering is FS is not as good as iRay in DS. However, the thing that swings it for me is the fact FS costs less than a single discounted Andre Pestryakov scene and it can be different every time.

looking at his video there are a lot of billboards

and he has a RTX 2080 super graphics card wink

Hopefully those billboards are instances!

I think someone speculated that the RTX 3000 series may appear this year... Maybe then I'll buy a new rig with one of those cards.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    edited January 2020
    This is a very beautiful set! I love it! I rarely render large outdoor scenes but I really like how this looks.

Complex scenes can bring down even the most powerful cards in Iray. In my experience, the sets by Jack Tomalin (especially those that warn you in the products description) bring down my render speed rapidly and I have a 2080ti.

What did help me was deleting parts of the scene as much as I could. If I only render a part, then I try to delete as much as I can. If I want to include figures in the scene I render them separately. This involves some postwork - I tend to paint the ground shadows myself in postwork but cuts down render times dramatically. For comparison: that's 5 hrs total render time vs. 20 hrs for practically the same scene.

Now if this scene has a lot of high res textures and the entire area shall be rendered and you can't delete parts of the scene then you could reduce the texture size so the scene fits into vram. It won't help much with high poly count though. The scene will still be slow to render.

Post edited by Asari on
  • DripDrip Posts: 1,134

This looks like the perfect basis for some HDRI I want to make sometime. So that would mean I'd have to do six to ten heavy renders, and then have a perfectly fast rendering background for subsequent renders.

• Callidus SimiaCallidus Simia Posts: 131
    edited January 2020
    Asari said:
    This is a very beautiful set! I love it! I rarely render large outdoor scenes but I really like how this looks.

Complex scenes can bring down even the most powerful cards in Iray. In my experience, the sets by Jack Tomalin (especially those that warn you in the products description) bring down my render speed rapidly and I have a 2080ti.

What did help me was deleting parts of the scene as much as I could. If I only render a part, then I try to delete as much as I can. If I want to include figures in the scene I render them separately. This involves some postwork - I tend to paint the ground shadows myself in postwork but cuts down render times dramatically. For comparison: that's 5 hrs total render time vs. 20 hrs for practically the same scene.

Now if this scene has a lot of high res textures and the entire area shall be rendered and you can't delete parts of the scene then you could reduce the texture size so the scene fits into vram. It won't help much with high poly count though. The scene will still be slow to render.

To reduce textures sizes of objects in your scene this product might be of help : https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

To remove/hide parts of the scene that are not going to be rendered this product might be of help : https://www.daz3d.com/camera-view-optimizer

Post edited by Callidus Simia on
  • Andrey PestryakovAndrey Pestryakov Posts: 172
    edited January 2020

Nvidia disables support for older graphics cards for Iray of newer versions. Therefore, it is recommended to use new video cards for Daz Studio 4.12 and Iray.

As for the rendering time, now I'm using the RTX 2080 SUPER video card. The viewport spins perfectly with this video card even when all meshes are turned on.

Render time.

I tested with Max Samples of 1000 iterations, by default Daz Studio 4.12 stops rendering earlier. Render settings you can see on the screenshot.

Terrane with trees and bushes + HR location with plants + light with long shadows: 10 minutes. The fewer the shadows then faster.

Only terrane with trees and bushes + light with long shadows: 4 minutes.

Terrane only: 1 minute 30 seconds.

VH-render-sample-01-1.jpg
    2559 x 1401 - 2M
    VH-render-sample-02-1.jpg
    2559 x 1400 - 2M
    VH-render-sample-03.jpg
    2559 x 1402 - 2M
    Post edited by Andrey Pestryakov on
    edited January 2020

You can see the number of polygons on the screenshots in the section: Scene Info -> Total Faces.

SubD 1 is turned on in preloads at terrane, with this parameter the number of polygons is increased to improve quality. You can disable SubD by setting 0 to save polygons, but then the terrane's quality will deteriorate.

Lowpoly trees and lowpoly bushes were made separately, you can turn them on and off to choose the best option for your system. Lowpoly bushes at a great distance are almost invisible that they can be turned off.

Everything is also divided into many meshes in HR locations, you can create your own groups and turn off their visibility for the period of work in the viewport and enable it before rendering.

Also, you can turn on only HR location and turn off the surrounding terrane and all low-poly trees and bushes.

VH-render-sample-01-4.jpg
    2559 x 1401 - 1M
    VH-render-sample-01-5.jpg
    2559 x 1401 - 745K
    VH-render-sample-02-2.jpg
    2559 x 1400 - 1M
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2020

Nvidia disables support for older graphics cards for Iray of newer versions. Therefore, it is recommended to use new video cards for Daz Studio 4.12 and Iray.

As for the rendering time, now I'm using the RTX 2080 SUPER video card. The viewport spins perfectly with this video card even when all meshes are turned on.

Hi Andrey Pestryakov 

I love your products I think i have purchased most you have release & no offense but I find this statement very disturbing for my future using daz as a hobby going forward.  Because NVIDIA has disabled features & Support for GTX over RTX card so moving forward its recommended to upgrade to RTX gpu''s,???   Unfortunately I purchased 2 - expensive 1080ti GTX  SC cards a little over year ago, so in order to continue forward  to use a newer version of Daz Studio 4.12 or any of the new Iray products that are to be released for 4.12  its now recommended to buy new RTX Super clock gpu's to use a newer versions of Daz Studio 4.12.... Well heck no wonder daz keeps falling back to CPU for renders & Well that plainly just sucks!!!   Looks like my purchasing days are numbered when it comes to using daz studio Iray then sad    

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited January 2020

Hi Ivy, thank you for the kind words.
    I had got GTX 960 graphics card, but the entire Iray render only happened on the processor. So I decided to update the video card. I did not expect that powerful video cards  10xx series are not supported, it is sad.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2020
    Ivy said:

Hi Andrey Pestryakov 

I love your products I think i have purchased most you have release & no offense but I find this statement very disturbing for my future using daz as a hobby going forward.  Because NVIDIA has disabled features & Support for GTX over RTX card so moving forward its recommended to upgrade to RTX gpu''s,???   Unfortunately I purchased 2 - expensive 1080ti GTX  SC cards a little over year ago, so in order to continue forward  to use a newer version of Daz Studio 4.12 or any of the new Iray products that are to be released for 4.12  its now recommended to buy new RTX Super clock gpu's to use a newer versions of Daz Studio 4.12.... Well heck no wonder daz keeps falling back to CPU for renders & Well that plainly just sucks!!!   Looks like my purchasing days are numbered when it comes to using daz studio Iray then sad    

OUCH! - how am I just learning this?  I am so out of the loop.  Is this widely known and discussed?  In any case, hope cooler heads prevail and some sort of support is found.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • This looks awesome and is exactly what I needed for a film I'm about to embark on. I'm going to pick it up later today. Thanks so much! 

And yeah, I bought a brand new gaming PC like a year and a half ago that I strictly use for Daz with a 1080ti card that worked great until recently. Now my laptop with an RTX 2060 is what I use to render faster for better results, and I do my animating on the desktop for the bigger monitor so I can see what I'm doing better (haha what a drag it is getting old as the Stones once said), and then scenes that I really can't do layers that need a day or two straight of rendering, I use the desktop for that as well. But I'll keep this in mind when rendering this environment and try it on the laptop first and then the desktop to see the difference in speed. 

edited January 2020
    Diomede said:
    Ivy said:

Hi Andrey Pestryakov 

OUCH! - how am I just learning this?  I am so out of the loop.  Is this widely known and discussed?  In any case, hope cooler heads prevail and some sort of support is found.

nah just don't try to support Nvidia using DAZ studio iray

Octane render exists if you must otherwise export to Blender and use Eevee that works with other graphics cards or Twinmotion and UE4 like I do lately though I have a Nvidia card, Eevee actually sees my onboard AMD graphics too!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited January 2020
    Ivy said:

Hi Andrey Pestryakov 

WOW that is going to exclude a lot of us. Glad I have already pretty much stopped shopping here, this is just another reason, I also feel that it ought to be highlighted a bit if Daz products aren't going to able to be rendered in GPU with anything olsder than your 20 series people really should be being told.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

Could you please link to a reliable source for this information.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    scorpio said:

WOW that is going to exclude a lot of us. Glad I have already pretty much stopped shopping here, this is just another reason, I also feel that it ought to be highlighted a bit if Daz products aren't going to able to be rendered in GPU with anything olsder than your 20 series people really should be being told.

Um.... I have a 1080 ti and everything works great.

I think you're all misunderstanding his words.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Hmm...I am on the fence on a 1660ti versus a RTX 2060 laptop, due to price and performance.  Is the 1660ti not going to work with iray?  

edited January 2020
    scorpio said:

I came right out and asked this asa direct question so for clarification

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/353851/daz-studio-4-12-pro-general-release#latest

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited January 2020
    3dOutlaw said:

Hmm...I am on the fence on a 1660ti versus a RTX 2060 laptop, due to price and performance.  Is the 1660ti not going to work with iray?  

scorpio said:

I only know that my video cards GTX 960 and GTX 760 did not give a performance increase compared to the CPU in 4.12. I do not have the opportunity to check the video cards 10xx, I did not have them.

Thanks for your responses Andrey; it certainly gives me more to consider. For now I'll wishlist the "Valley and Hills" product, until I see what other people can do with it.

I do currently use a GTX 1080 card, and though it did slow slightly after upgrading Studio to 4.12, it still renders with the GTX card, and only drops to GPU occasionally.

• Can I give a little reassurance to people with GTX 10xx cards. DS 4.12 requires a driver standard of 430.86 minimum. The current latest driver standard for the GTX 10xx cards is 441.87 (checked 30 seconds ago), so you should be able to keep on rendering happily for a while yet. Whether the scene will render in the GPU is another thing...

Regards,

Richard.

• 3dOutlaw said:

scorpio said:

I only know that my video cards GTX 960 and GTX 760 did not give a performance increase compared to the CPU in 4.12. I do not have the opportunity to check the video cards 10xx, I did not have them.

The memory requirement for non-RTX cards has inceased, if renders were previously done with OptiX Prime off. Nothing (other than the ability to switch OptiX Prime off) has been disabled in the version of Iray included with 4.12 compared to 4.11 or 4.10. If the scenes were marginal for memory in 4.10 then it is possible theya re dropping out in 4.12, but it's not a general issue of their being disabled across the board.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Thanks for the reply and specs, I probably need to take it to a more appropriate thread, like this:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/

I've got one of your older products, but it always was too much for my 960...looks like I should be able to put it to good use on upgrade!  yes

edited January 2020

Can I give a little reassurance to people with GTX 10xx cards. DS 4.12 requires a driver standard of 430.86 minimum. The current latest driver standard for the GTX 10xx cards is 441.87 (checked 30 seconds ago), so you should be able to keep on rendering happily for a while yet. Whether the scene will render in the GPU is another thing...

Regards,

Richard.

Are you using a older version of daz 4,12.086 & 436.30 gpu driver ?    Because for gtx gpu cards the Iray is broke, because NVIDIA switched how the Opitex prime accelerator is used in the hardware profile and gtx gpu opitex is always turned on with no way for it to be turned off . Opitex requires more memory load so it uses more gpu resources for iray on which most circumstances throws the gtx card back to cpu for rendering. Specially if you render more than 1 scene like a image series for animation.     The RTX card use the opitex feature in the hardware profile differently using less resources for raytrace. it was one of the designs for RTX  gpu's  hence RTX = (RAY-TRACE TECHNOLOGY) which the side effect of this new technology was the in GTX gpu driver profile the opitex prime accelerator is always on to achieve the same results as the RTX gpu  , so in a sense Iray is broken making GTX gpu obsolete for iray unless you don't mind painfully slow render times on the back of the cpu .    its the driver technology that changed on how much load can put on to the gpu vram with gtx cards.   I have 2- 1080ti sc with 11.5 gigs each and when i used daz studio 4.12.01.40  it would throw my renders to cpu every time with 2 fully clothed  g8 characters & hair using a 2k hdri for a background.  My bench test before daz 4.12  I could load as many as 6 g8 characters into the same scene with daz 4.10 and as someone that uses daz studio for animation this new development is not acceptable.   The last working daz studio version for me & I have since returned back too is daz 4.12.083  with gpu driver 436.30  any newer drivers enables the opitex prime permanently in GTX gpu cards.  So if you have daz 4.12.083 and a driver less than 436.30 your good to go other wises newer daz versions and newer driver versions you will experience render throw back to cpu  if you put any kind of a load into your scene and like I said as someone that uses daz for animation that is not acceptable, But that is my experience, other people that don't put much of a load on their scene or render image series may not experience the same issue of renders being thrown back to cpu

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

Can I give a little reassurance to people with GTX 10xx cards. DS 4.12 requires a driver standard of 430.86 minimum. The current latest driver standard for the GTX 10xx cards is 441.87 (checked 30 seconds ago), so you should be able to keep on rendering happily for a while yet. Whether the scene will render in the GPU is another thing...

Regards,

Richard.

Are you using a older version of daz 4,12.086 & 436.30 gpu driver ?    Because for gtx gpu cards the Iray is broke, because NVIDIA switched how the Opitex prime accelerator is used in the hardware profile and gtx gpu opitex is always turned on with no way for it to be turned off . Opitex requires more memory load so it uses more gpu resources for iray on which most circumstances throws the gtx card back to cpu for rendering. Specially if you render more than 1 scene like a image series for animation.     The RTX card use the opitex feature in the hardware profile differently using less resources for raytrace. it was one of the designs for RTX  gpu's  hence RTX = (RAY-TRACE TECHNOLOGY) which the side effect of this new technology was the in GTX gpu driver profile the opitex prime accelerator is always on to achieve the same results as the RTX gpu  , so in a sense Iray is broken making GTX gpu obsolete for iray unless you don't mind painfully slow render times on the back of the cpu .    its the driver technology that changed on how much load can put on to the gpu vram with gtx cards.   I have 2- 1080ti sc with 11.5 gigs each and when i used daz studio 4.12.01.40  it would throw my renders to cpu every time with 2 fully clothed  g8 characters & hair using a 2k hdri for a background.  My bench test before daz 4.12  I could load as many as 6 g8 characters into the same scene with daz 4.10 and as someone that uses daz studio for animation this new development is not acceptable.   The last working daz studio version for me & I have since returned back too is daz 4.12.083  with gpu driver 436.30  any newer drivers enables the opitex prime permanently in GTX gpu cards.  So if you have daz 4.12.083 and a driver less than 436.30 your good to go other wises newer daz versions and newer driver versions you will experience render throw back to cpu  if you put any kind of a load into your scene and like I said as someone that uses daz for animation that is not acceptable, But that is my experience, other people that don't put much of a load on their scene or render image series may not experience the same issue of renders being thrown back to cpu

The issue with animation may, at least in part, be addressed in (I think) the current Public Build (I don't have a link to the chnage log on this machine). An 11GB GTX card should still be very useable for Iray rendering.

not for image series its not after about 5 images the render is thrown to cpu and i have log files to prove it

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 792
    edited January 2020

Wow, Andrey, this is just beautiful. I love your work SO MUCH. Sucks about the memory thing, as I'm using a GTX 970 and 4.10, but I expected as much. I have had no issues with using your Mountain Lakes and Forests. Yeah, sometimes a scene would render on CPU but I had a lot in those scenes and everything still rendered fairly quickly. Would you say Valley is comparative to Mountain Lakes in regards to memory consumption or greater? I'd love to sink my teeth in this but hesitant with purchasing. I like your examples above and it seems like a lot can be done to lighten the load.

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • Ivy said:

not for image series its not after about 5 images the render is thrown to cpu and i have log files to prove it

Sorry, yes - the update is logged but not yet released - it's actually in the build immediately after the current Public Build.