The Doctor Appreciation thread

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

I want some Doctor fun but I am not near WiFi and my prime video app will download via WiFi only.  I am thinking of using iTunes to get the newest season instead of amazon.  Of course when it comes out.

• Does a happy little Master Dance........

thanks to a free addon that came out of the blue for Sketchup.... I wenta Diggin' in my archives. 

guess whats back on my drawing board?

I'm sure there's one person round here that will remember ;)

Resurrection.jpg
    1542 x 886 - 385K
  • I can explain. no, that'll take too long, I'll sum up instead. Lost my installer disk for trueSpace 4.3, Lost my will to model over time as work and life and a fecked up shoulder cut in, did learn Sketchup, tried to bring her in, but never worked right.. 

untill this new addon for Sketchup. ok the imports not perfect and she'll need a complete mesh overhaul. but, this is a major restart and I'm kinda buzzin! (I had to goback to a file from 2009!!!!! ...packrat? me? noooo no no no no..yes)

oh and here she is in Twinmotion, just cos.

Image 01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574

Hey, it your old "brassworks" TARDIS console!  Well, I assume it's your steampunk assembly from years ago that I originally saw upon the Rendo' forums.  Though I never saw the "lower decks" arrangement, just the console and some of the surrounding floor.

Great to discover the data wasn't "lost to the ages"!

Sincerely,

Bill

• Yup it's her. I got as far as the trunk interconnect when things life wise fell to bits. Looking over the salvaged mesh, most of it will need to be reworked. And I've lost the Brass / mahogany shaders I ws using (simboint procedurals) But, now I have a solid guide to do that.. And since I started there has been 4 console rooms shown.. I have some ideas on where to go once I've caught up.. Plus now I have better render engines (keyshot, twinmotion, etc) I think.. Hhmm. Pass the dimensional calibrator....
    edited January 2020

Absurd notion time...

What if "Doctor Who" had been an RKO or Republic movie matinee serial or the 1940s or 50s?

Well, if produced by either of those studios, it would have been American, so no police box. Instead, we might have seen one of those vintage lacquered wood phone booths (the kind associated with Superman as a "quick change" dressing booth) as the camouflaged space/time machine. Most were quite plain, so I decided to top it with an illuminated sign shaped like a bell (as in the "Bell" phone company).

The booth was a prop from a toon superhero set made by Teyon, but I modeled the "bell" myself because I couldn't find a ready made one that fit my needs (free and the proper shape). I should have sculpted it from the start as I spent less time doing that than searching for an existing mesh. I altered the booth from its default, "boarding up" the lower recessed panels than were originally meant to be "glass". (That I achieved by merely assigning an additional material zone and then applying a wood texture.)  I opted to "frost" the "glass" panes as I still imagine the machine in this movie serial is bigger inside.  Obscuring the glass means not having to depict an impossibly larger interior when showing the entire prop.

Obviously, the visuals for such a matinee serial would have been rather simplistic, so this might have been the image as part of a theater lobby card.

Sincerely,

Bill

RKO-Tardis-J-1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 55K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • Sanjay 8 with the beard looks like a cross between the new version of The Master (Sacha Dhawan) and Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainly (their beards) so yeah think with a little tweaking you could use Sanjay as the new version of The Master and adding his beard a nod to the earlier versions

Sanjay 8 Pro Bundle in People and Wearables, Bundles,  3D Models by Daz 3D

Image result for the master doctor who

• hope it's ok to post this, this is a remake by university students of the rare prequel to the Dalek's Master Plan first Doctor William Hartnell which apparently was only shown once and lost titled Mission To The Unkown which also didn't actually feature the Doctor at all in the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8yk-m5Ig8

making of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYq8A_6_dc

• gotta say... I love the new Master... 

Yeah, the only thing Sacha Dhawan needed was facial hair a bit fuller than the fashionable "stubble" once we learned his true identity.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

...once we learned his true identity.

for some of us, before watching the programme.

Redfern said:

Uh, with respect, you can't pin this on me, sir.  I merely responded to the initial observation, simply repeating the actor's name which had already been stated.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:
    Redfern said:

Uh, with respect, you can't pin this on me, sir.  I merely responded to the initial observation, simply repeating the actor's name which had already been stated.

Sincerely,

Bill

I know, but you provided a convenie t quote to follow from.

It's not as bad as last year's special when the papers ran pctures of the big secret the next day.

• the creatures in the Orphan 55 episode (series 12 ep 3) reminded me of creatures in style of Josh Crockett's done here and The Fallen One is pretty close - not credited to his name anymore now just fully credited as a Daz Original so that's another creature you could use as DW creature substitute 

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor

https://www.daz3d.com/the-fallen-one-hd-for-genesis-3-male

edited March 2020

I'm rather surprised nobody has posted in the wake of the season finale.

Post edited by Redfern on
  • Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163

I'm still processing it.

on the whole, I like the idea and basically revives the idea of the Other in my mind and removes some bad decisions from the '70's.... 

but the backlash with, shall we say the more conservative, fans is rather amusing..

I'm still processing it.

on the whole, I like the idea and basically revives the idea of the Other in my mind and removes some bad decisions from the '70's.... 

but the backlash with, shall we say the more conservative, fans is rather amusing..

"Still processing it" is the phrase I used the other week.  It was definitely one of the biggest "WTF?!" moments ever presented, true, but can anything really top that first "renewal" (the term used at the time) when Ol' Billy lapse dissolved into Pat?  That still has to be the biggest "game changer" for the concept, one which has allowed us to continue watching new episodes to this day.

I seem to have irked Haseltine several weeks ago as he blames me for a "spoiler" somebody else revealed, so I'm not sure what I can state without further irritating him.  Does this forum have "spoiler tag" functions?  let me try something here.

[spoiler]This is a test.[\spoiler]

Sincerely,

Bill

Okay, standardized tags don't work here.

Why am I not surprised?

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194

finally we know why Susan and the Doctor didnt know what a Dalek was in The Daleks.  my  theories were a) they was lying to Barbara and Ian for some reason.  and b) the Doctor and Susan were sleeper agents for the Time Lord secret police / celestial intervention agency and had their memories wiped.

• Khai-J-BachKhai-J-Bach Posts: 163

oh I think the Doctor's memory being wiped was a regular thing until One did a bunk....

• Any goiod head morohs for Jodie Whitaker out there?  Also has any one made or kitbashed the current Jodie Whittaker Doctor Who outfit yet?

• blutobluto Posts: 823

playing around a bit

time war.jpg
    1467 x 830 - 550K

a little more playin around

secondary control.jpg
    1467 x 830 - 593K

Ah, the War Doctor's TARDIS as seen near the end of "Day of the Doctor" and Capaldi's control room filled with roundeled panels!  I've seen another artist do that, but he placed them to replace the outer walls.  Your congiguration is closer to a "classic era" motif, having them surrounding the central dais/platform.

Sincerely,

Bill

does anyone have any idea where i can find a 3d model of the eseal or rassalon??????

bluto said:

does anyone have any idea where i can find a 3d model of the eseal or rassalon??????

Check your domestic e-mail, Bluto.wink

Sincerely,

Bill

Thanks bill!
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194

I've created the movie saucer from Daleks Invasion Earth.  I built it in Wings 3D and rendered it in DS, but for some reason my lighting presets keep making surfaces  reflective, so the ruined city is flooded.  Can't figure out how to turn  the mirror effect off for now.  the Daleks are Mechmaster's by the way.

saucer 5.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 740K
    Very very cool any chance I can get a copy of that you know it's a hobby of mine collecting digital dialects and things related to them
    bluto said:
    ... collecting digital dialects and things related to them

Hmm, what constitutes a digital dialect; maybe the pitch and speed at which different models of Cybermen have spoken over the deacdes?

Sorry, sorry; I know you meant Dalek (maybe Auto-Correct was active on your device) but it does make for an amusing setup!

Sincerely,

Bill