Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 2019

mermaid - thank you.

Hansmar - thank you. We agree on the fir trees.

Electro-Elvis - thank you. Great landscape from you. Terrains and tower look very good, and sky looks quite good even if the clouds look probably a bit flat. The trees are also good, the nearest one looks as if the foliage is lit by ambience and appears flat to me.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 2019

@Hansmar: Thank you. Agreed, the volumetric clouds look not that volumetric, actually. I forgot a lot about this types of clouds and now I'm trying to get back into the topic.

@Horo: Thank you. You are right, but when I checked the ambience of the foliage it was only 10. I am a bit confused now. Maybe it has to do with the position of the light, which is directly opposite of the observer. I used a distant light instead of the Bryce sun.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

Horo : beautiful experiment with anaglyph. Hansmar is right about the fir trees.

Electro-Elvis : Great landscape.

edited December 2019

adbc - thank you.

Electro-Elvis - I find getting foliage right is almost as difficult as skin. If you light the foliage more or less from the front, there are seldom issues. If it is fully backlit it gets difficult. In nature backlit leaves let some of the light through, a leaf appears to shine. It's not transparent but translucent and you can only see the light, not shapes behind it. Obviously, how much light shines through depends on the thickness of the leaf, needles are thick, the oaks we have here in this dry region have hair on the underside and almost no light passes through. Beech or birch leaves are quite translucent. If the foliage on a Bryce tree is a mesh, translucency can be added but it has a penalty on the render time. Ambience can be seen as the opposite of shadow and you lose bump. The most simple solution to light up an object in the shadow is a radial about at the camera position that lights the object faintly and exclusively. More advanced possibilities are a small faint dome light or a neutral HDRI with only the object included.

Although we all agree that the fir trees above are not very convincing, I gave it another try and call the "fir trees" now grass-like vegetation. Not that it is any better, nevertheless I like the greenery being watered in this downpour - and I think the anaglyph looks quite nice.

Watering

Watering Anaglyph

Watering.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 278K
    WateringAna.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 334K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750

Horo: I think this version is much better. Still not really grass or trees, but much nicer.

Horo : Hansmar is right, much better. The anaglyph is more clearly showing the vegetation as well.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Electro-Elvis – very nice landscape

Horo – I agree with the others, the 2nd version is better and as Adbc mentioned the vegetation is more clear in the anaglyph

I experimented with negative light, the 1st is only one light the default radial light, the 2nd a negative radial was added and the 3rd  is only the negative radial.

poslight.jpg
    600 x 600 - 241K
    posneglight.jpg
    600 x 600 - 235K
    negonly.jpg
    600 x 600 - 162K

Hansmar - thank you. Yes, using Subcontours to create coarse peaks and giving them a partly transparent material was an interesting experiment but the result is not satisfying.

adbc - thank you. Yes, I also find this anaglyph is better. 

mermaid - thank you. Your experiments with negative light turned out great. I particularly like the second one.

Mermaid: Nice experiments. I like the second one best.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited December 2019

adbc: Thank you. Your swamp dragon is quite creepy. But I have still not fully understand, where the head of this beast is.

Horo: Thank you for the explanation and the hints. I like your second approach with the grass, though I reminds me more of water plants. Your image has also a nice atmosphere with the light beams and the rain.

mermaid010: I like especially the second one of your negative lights experiments. Looks really nice.

Dan: An odd couple :-)  I'd rather would try to avoid getting into an argue with Archie. He seems to have an arm where he can shot a cannon ball with it. Your scene is superbely lit.

Hansmar: Your infinite reflecting planes looking beautiful. I think I prefer the second, brownish one.

allanon: Two fine pictures. Though the second sky is quite dramatic, the first one is also quite nice.

I looked at my last landscape again and changed the position of the sun, the tree in the foreground and first of all the volumetric clouds. Rendered with TA with 36 rpp. Render time was more than 24 hours. It would be nice to have an kind of include/exclude function for True Ambience, for I think TA has no effect on volumetric clouds at all, except increasing the render time.

Trees and Hills Variation 2

hills_with_trees_var2.jpg
    1334 x 800 - 881K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Electro-Elvis: Thanks. Great improvement on your landscape. The sky is wonderful now.

Electro-Elvis - way better! Trees and clouds look excellent now.

Thanks Horo, Hanmar and Electro-Elvis

Electro-Elvis - very nice render, great clouds.

Electro-Elvis : Excellent image, beautiful clouds.

• Merry Christmas to you all here heart

edited December 2019

Yellow Pen - beautifully done.

Happy Holidays to all of you nice people showing up here in this Bryce forum to show your artworks, comment and help. Best wishes for 2020.

SG2019

SG2019.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 322K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

• Horo, Yellow Pen and Chohole: Thank you for the beautiful pictures and your good wishes. Happy holidays and best wishes to you all and the friendly people here in the forum.

edited December 2019

Horo, Yellow Pen and ChoholeMany thanks.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all fellow Brycers!

christmascard2.jpg
    700 x 700 - 335K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • a big hug to all of you here... and thanks for Help and kindnees.

Beautiful and peacefull Pictures you made....

edited December 2019

Yellow Pen, Horo, Chohole, Electro-Elvis, Hansmar : Beautiful pictures and thank you for the wishes !

I wish you all a very Happy Holiday Season and a prosperous, peaceful and healthy 2020 !

christmas.jpg
    600 x 413 - 38K
    Post edited by adbc on

Lovely greeting from everyone one.

Happy Holidays to all Brycers, looking forward to another awesome Brycing year.

Chohole - beautiful winter scene.

Hansmar - very nice candles and light.

adbc - great colours and light.

adbc, Horo: thanks.

adbc: Great fireworks!

edited December 2019

I have acquired the Terrain Editor Filters by Horo quite some time ago, but hardly ever tried them out. Now I have two renders with rather haphazard exerimenting. The combine some fiddling in the Terrain Editor of Bryce with some effects in the Filters. For the second one, the effect is quite visible. I used some of the Fantastic skies by Horo and David Brinnen.

HM1-te1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    TE-test1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M

Horo, Hansmar : thanks.

Hansmar : great renders. Beautiful sky and texture on the terrain on the first one. The second one has great colours and lighting. I like them both.

Hansmar - two special scene. The first has am interesting terrain. I took the spherical object as a radar antenna at first. Good lightening choice. The second reminds me somewhat to some old games and I find it very charming.

edited December 2019

adbc, Horo: Thanks. It is fun to play with terrains and light.

I downloaded some free items from CG-Axis, including a few HDRIs. I used one (late afternoon desert) in this render. I added a terrain by Karanta (which I stretched horizontally) and a number of stones. I tried to random replicate the stones on the terrain, but that never worked, it always resulted in a crash. I then random replicated them in a new scene on a simple plane and merged the scenes, and landed the stones bit by bit onto the terrain. That worked. I also added the Mars rover by Drachenlords, which is now a desert rover. The HDR is high quality and therefore heavy. But making it smaller and lighter in HDR Shop resulted in too much vagueness. 

Lighting only from the HDRI plus a very weak distant light, both diffuse and specular at 1, to fill in the lights a very little bit more.

desert3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Hansmar said:

adbc, Horo: Thanks. It is fun to play with terrains and light.

I downloaded some free items from CG-Axis, including a few HDRIs. I used one (late afternoon desert) in this render. I added a terrain by Karanta (which I stretched horizontally) and a number of stones. I tried to random replicate the stones on the terrain, but that never worked, it always resulted in a crash. I then random replicated them in a new scene on a simple plane and merged the scenes, and landed the stones bit by bit onto the terrain. That worked. I also added the Mars rover by Drachenlords, which is now a desert rover. The HDR is high quality and therefore heavy. But making it smaller and lighter in HDR Shop resulted in too much vagueness. 

Lighting only from the HDRI plus a very weak distant light, both diffuse and specular at 1, to fill in the lights a very little bit more.

I don’t know why the accident happened with such a small number of stones. The cubic shape of the stones is not very convincing. Some stones hang in the air. When using IL, I recommend using the Alt key. 

edited December 2019

Hansmar - nicely done scene. Not sure why Bryce crashed on you when instancing. Bryce with LAA enabled can load and tone-map HDRIs up to 16384 x 8192 pixels (loading uses 566 MB, tone-mapping 3560 MB and when done 1060 MB. To downscale an HDRI in HDRShop, do not use Image > Size but Image > Panorama > Panoramic Transformations to create a new file. Set Supersampling N x N to 2 and enable Use Bilinear Interpolation.

Slepalex - when you talk about the IL, I listen to you because you have more experience with it than I have. However, at the scene I am working at the moment with trees on a hilly terrain, the ALT key rotated the trees so that the trunk is at right angles to the terrain slope, and not vertical. It seems that the ALT key is a good idea, except for trees.

Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.