Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

1234568

Comments

  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 149
    edited November 9

    I hadn't used Bryce in 9 years and for a few reasons decided to install it and give it a spin.  It was a bit rocky getting re-acquainted with the interface.  I made this scene as mainly a test of instance painting.  Besides lighting control, this is the biggest weakness of Bryce.  It just isn't ready for prime time.  Had to do this scene as two separate scenes due to too many polygons, 144,262,102 at last count.  A large part of that was due to instance trees in the background (which you can't really see well as I scaled them down quite a bit to contrast with mountain scale.  The foreground looks horrible, especially the grass and shrub.  Didn't really spend time on that and used the default grass and shrub which don't survive up close due to poor quality.  The trees aren't that bad.  Custom tweaked a couple based on sugar maple and blended in some orange on that left one in the DTE.  The mountains look legendary as I used images I had made in World Machine for the height map and David's mats on them.  Overall I have to say  I'm sticking with Vue.  Was a fun and interesting experiment though.

    WM Mountain Lake.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by krickerd on
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 149

    Yo, see what you guys can do with these WM maps in the terrain editor.  These are the ones I used.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740
    edited November 11

    kickerd - thank you for your suggestion. I'm working with the Bryce Terrain Editor (TE), WorldCreator (successor of GeoControl) and 3DEM for Earth, Moon and Mars terrains.

    I set out to create a cave but it came out a bit different. 4 in the TE drawn symmetrical lattices, a terrain above and the ground as water plane below, all within a mirror cube. Lattices and terrain above are white with some reflection, specularity and anisotropy. Light and colour by the Rainbow HDRI and 4 radials with negative diffuse.

    Weird Cave

    WeirdCave.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 280K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 983

    krickerd : great mountains, downloaded the heightmaps, maybe I'll use them later on !

    Horo : Looks really like a painting, beautiful soft colours.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    krickerd - meanwhile, I looked at those two WM maps (2048 square 16-bit greyscale). They are nice.

    adbc - thank you. Yes, that's what I also thought, like a painting. If I wanted to accomplish this effect I doubt I would have managed.

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575

    krickerd: Well, for 9 years of rust, it comes out quite nicely. I think the instancing tricked you. Or, better, sometimes you think you instanced something and then in fact they were not instances, but copies. If you look for Slepalex renders, you will see many, many trees, with no problem and recently someone (forgot who, possibly also Slepalex) also instanced hundreds of low-poly people.

    Horo: Fantastic render, lovely colours. I often get the best results partly by serendipity. 

  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 149

    Yo, see what you guys can do with these WM maps in the terrain editor.  These are the ones I used.

    Hansmar said:

    krickerd: Well, for 9 years of rust, it comes out quite nicely. I think the instancing tricked you. Or, better, sometimes you think you instanced something and then in fact they were not instances, but copies. If you look for Slepalex renders, you will see many, many trees, with no problem and recently someone (forgot who, possibly also Slepalex) also instanced hundreds of low-poly people.

    Horo: Fantastic render, lovely colours. I often get the best results partly by serendipity. 

    They definitely should have been instances as I painted them in using the instance lab, not multi-replicate from edit menu.  You can tell as they follow the contour of the terrains.  There are several hundred, which is hard to see at this scale.  They still take up more memory than they should IMO.  However I'm working on a solution, stay tuned.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    krickerd - groups don't instance they just copy. The wire frame of an instanced object has dashed lines, otherwise it is not instanced.

  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 149
    edited November 13
    Horo said:

    krickerd - groups don't instance they just copy. The wire frame of an instanced object has dashed lines, otherwise it is not instanced.

    Never have I been trying to instance groups, only individual objects.  Never have I seen dashed lines around anything that I've instanced either.  Well, not certain objects such as 2D squares.  Example: if I create a 2D square and instance it onto a terrain from the instance lab, should that not create instances and not copies?  I'm not sure why it calls them copies.  In any case, in tests I've done, it is much easier on resources using 2D plane trees than 3D Bryce lab trees when creating dense forests even when instancing.  I can create thousands of 2D trees that look reasonably well at mid range distance with no trouble while the same scene with 3D ones would be hundreds of millions of polygons and would be problematic.  More examples to follow as I test my way through.  Even with 2D squares, however there are limits I've found out, especially on huge terrains.

    Incidenctally I've found a way to make trees follow the shoreline of a lake and not go in by using the clipping planes in the terrain editor.  Instances will not populate in the clipped areas.  Then once the desired low level clip has been sufficiently raised, the water plane can be raised or lowered to match, maybe be set a bit higher depending on size of the terrain and how accurately the brush places instances up to the clipped level.

    Post edited by krickerd on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740
    edited November 13

    krickerd - the idea of instancing is to save memory because only one mesh must be saved, for the others only the position must be noted. Now a primitive (2D-face, cube, etc.) use almost no memory, instancing wouldn't save any. Therefore, primitives are never instanced. You may distribute them with the Instance Lab (IL) but they will never be instances. The IL just copies objects that it cannot instance. You can check whether an object can be instanced or not by looking at Edit > Instance. If Instance is greyes out, it won't be instanced, otherwise it will. If the object is truly instanced, the mesh looks different. The image below shows at right a tree and at left the same tree instanced.

    Instance Mesh

    InstWire.jpg
    800 x 500 - 75K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 13

    I used my spoils from last contest (thanks, voters!) for some Horo and David Brinnen stuff. I got the 'landscapes under fantastic skies' and played with example terrain/sky 10. These are pits, but I inverted the terrain and posterised it. Also added a water plane and a grungy boat. This way I created a landscape of pyramids.

     

    Fantastic skies pyramids.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 149
    Horo said:

    krickerd - the idea of instancing is to save memory because only one mesh must be saved, for the others only the position must be noted. Now a primitive (2D-face, cube, etc.) use almost no memory, instancing wouldn't save any. Therefore, primitives are never instanced. You may distribute them with the Instance Lab (IL) but they will never be instances. The IL just copies objects that it cannot instance. You can check whether an object can be instanced or not by looking at Edit > Instance. If Instance is greyes out, it won't be instanced, otherwise it will. If the object is truly instanced, the mesh looks different. The image below shows at right a tree and at left the same tree instanced.

    Instance Mesh

    That makes sense about primatives.  What using the instance lab for 2D squares will do is give you fast paint control while saving the memory.

  • adbcadbc Posts: 983

    Hansmar : Great idea, nice landscape.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    Hansmar - cool idea, this came out very nicely. I also often invert a terrain but it hasn't yet occurred to me to modify it.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740
    edited November 14

    The same cave as above but with other materials and lighting, instead of water a terrain, a haze cube and a Toon Alien.

    Exoticave

    Exoticave.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 304K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 729
    krickerd said:
    Horo said:

    krickerd - the idea of instancing is to save memory because only one mesh must be saved, for the others only the position must be noted. Now a primitive (2D-face, cube, etc.) use almost no memory, instancing wouldn't save any. Therefore, primitives are never instanced. You may distribute them with the Instance Lab (IL) but they will never be instances. The IL just copies objects that it cannot instance. You can check whether an object can be instanced or not by looking at Edit > Instance. If Instance is greyes out, it won't be instanced, otherwise it will. If the object is truly instanced, the mesh looks different. The image below shows at right a tree and at left the same tree instanced.

    Instance Mesh

    That makes sense about primatives.  What using the instance lab for 2D squares will do is give you fast paint control while saving the memory.

    krickerd, your stubbornness in promoting 2D trees is worthy of better use. This was true for Bryce 5 over 10 years ago. I did this too: http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=4483

    In order to understand something else, read this thread carefully:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/353606/could-we-have-a-faq-of-most-usual-situations-that-may-make-bryce-crash#latest

    To understand the difference between cloning a group and an individual mesh object, read my correspondence with Hansmar:
    http://fav.me/d866vz8

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575

    adbc, Horo: thanks.

    Horo: Wonderful render. Looks like some trees with a very thick canopy.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    Hansmar - thank you. I'm always surprised what difference a bit of changing material and lighting can do.

  • adbcadbc Posts: 983
    edited November 16

    Horo : Awesome image. Like Hansmar I see trees. Nice texture, surreal !

    Post edited by adbc on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 16

    I took one of the landscapes from the 'Landscapes under fantastic skies' by David Brinnen and Horo again and inverted it. This made a nice cave, which I made higher and I added a water plane. To indicate the size, there is a Leviathan from DAZ in the scene. I added some lights to get more view on the cave ceiling.

    leviathan_cave.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 983

    Hansmar : Great looking cave, nice lighting.

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 17

    adbc: Thank you.

    Another work starting with one of those Landscapes under fantastic skies. The terrain is three versions of 'Basins', two used as stacked terrain to get some 'stones' through the snow, the third one at the back. Sky is from example scene 2. The columns are from Alan Armstrong, the droid in the back is from the scene 'A droid in a room' from the HDRI samples and the android at te front is made by me in Hexagon.

    exploration.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    Hansmar - beautiful cave and very nice winter scene.

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 17

    Thanks, Horo.

    I am also searching through the various example scenes I got. Decided to use this one from Jonathan Cummings. It is 'Breathe Deep'. The original is a very wonderful daylight landscape. I changed the sky for one of the HDRI enhanced skies by Horo and added a bold eagle. If you like it, consider all praise should go to Jonathan Cummings and Horo (and the creator of the eagle), who did all the hard work here.

    Breathe Deep_evening.jpg
    1312 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 983

    Hansmar : Excellent scenes, I like both of them !

  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740

    Hansmar - outstanding scene, beautiful vegetation. Never seen work from Jonathan but we had worked together for the Bryce 6/7 bug tracking.

  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 19

    adbc, Horo: Thanks. But as indicated, for the last one, credits should go to Jonathan and Horo, because I just combined their efforts. The first one (winter scene) has more of my own work in there.

    The next one is a bit more 'creative' on my side. I combined Grobburg with a sky by Horo, the big Turk (boat), a big reptile and some bees and added some mountains in the distance too. I did modify the sun position and the haze in the sky.

    grobburg_fantasy.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 6,740
    edited November 20

    Hansmar - well, what else are we doing than combine the efforts of others? I mean, those that made the brush, the colours ... just tools the artist uses to create a piece of art. It's certainly much appreciated to mention the "ingredients" that led to a successful artwork but it is the genius of the artist to combine the parts to a beautiful whole.
    It's 12 years since I used the Grobburg last time. You put the parts very nicely together as a water castle and added interesting details.

    Triple stacked terrain. The clouds are from a pre-rendered spherical panorama of a slab with massive clouds. Ambient light and sky background color by a sunless HDRI sky. The anaglyph has the haze only half as thick.

    Gashed Isle

    Gashed Island Anaglyph

    GashedIsle.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 162K
    GashedIsleAna.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 224K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 1,575
    edited November 20

    Horo: Of course, we all use tools made by others and build upon other peoples preparations. Nevertheless, in the case of the evening render of 'Breathe Deep', I did actually do very little. There was not much 'genius' necessary for that one :). For the one with Grobburg, I did more effors, such as choice of sun placement, camera placement, size of reptile and bees, etc. 

    And I do like your island render; well balanced light and very nice sky.

    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 983

    Hansmar : Beautiful scene.

    Horo : Very nice island and anaglyph.

Sign In or Register to comment.