Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• Marx O gauge electric train that actually belonged to my Grand Ma before it was given to me

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

1st toys I remember are toys the next door teenager Johnny would tie to a string and get me to jump to try & get the toys off the string. I was 3 to 5 years old then but his father worked at the Marx Toy Factory in Chicago and Johnny would have neon lime green, red, or orange extremely tough heavy plastic Mickey Mouses, Donald Ducks, Minnie Mouses, Jiminy Crickets, and Goofys to test out my jumping skills. He also would have these plastic cars and pickup trucks in the same colors on offer out his window. Those were much more fragile and i'd usually have demolished them in a couple days as at that age I was a big Speed Racer fan. No matter, Johnny's dad would keep bringing more toys for Johnny to offer out the window to me. It was lots of fun. Yes, kids sometimes imitate TV as Speed Racer was where I learn to crash those cars and trucks. 

As my parents were working class (they'd call it being very poor nowadays) only my 6 other siblings got toys from my parents because Johnny was giving me so many toys I didn't need any. My toys were everywhere in the house & yard. The rest of the toys I'm familiar with from back then belonged to the neighbor kids on the other side of our house and they had Operation, Barrel of Monkeys, Lincoln Logs, Hot Wheels, Light Brite, Etch-A-Sketch, Twister, Rock-Em-Sock-Em Robots, Silly Putty, Slinky, Peeples, and a Fire Engine that you peddle like the Flintstone's or Rubble's cars, and that's all I can remember of their toys. 

Those were all circa 1968 - 1972.   

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Novica said:

@melaniel  Merry Christmas to you too. It's 5:40pm here and I just got back from seeing Mom. At 92, I treasure each Christmas with her. She's had SIXTY THREE of them with me, and that's just an awesome thought. So that made me thiink- everyone, what are some of the toys you remember from an early age?  Here's mine-

Chatty Cathy doll 

Barbie (original type, very voluptuous, red hair. That black and white swimsuit!)  Ken, and Midge (blonde)

A dollhouse we kept forever it seemed. We just couldn't give it away. I still had it in my high school years, down in the basement (a nice basement, we roller skated down there. It was like a skating rink)

So of course, roller skates, a skating skirt (oh yeah!) and a skating case. We went every weekend and I eventually became a floor guard in my teen years

Hard plastic face dolls, back then it was neat when they actually had eyes that opened and closed

A red firetruck that you could sit in and pedal. My sister (or I) would ride in the back that was more like a flatbed in a truck (again, in the basement.) 

A ping pong table

A Magic 8 Ball

Slinkie

Booby Trap, Twister, King of the Hill board games. Does anyone remember Union Hill? There were magnetic wands and the people had magnets on their feet so you used the wand under the "city" to move them around. We used to play tag going in and out of the buildings (no roofs so you could see inside the rooms.)

A Basketball Game pulling levers and shooting through the hoops.

A Music Box with yep, that twirling ballerina. 

a bit late now,  but when my dolls house went out of favour  my Father turned it into a posh new house for a pair of budgies.  He managed to get a wire cage front that he could fit in in place ot the opening front.  Sally and Billy loved their new domain.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,169

Even later!

My favourite present was also a doll's house - Dad made it himself based on layouts from one of those "build-your-own-house" magazines they used to publish. I got it when I was five years old and played with it for several years. Eventually it was passed on to the little daughter of one of Dad's workmates when I grew out of it.

Least useful present: Dad bought me a working model steam engine when I was three. I don't think I ever got to play with it, but he got his money's worth!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    MelanieL said:

Even later!

My favourite present was also a doll's house - Dad made it himself based on layouts from one of those "build-your-own-house" magazines they used to publish. I got it when I was five years old and played with it for several years. Eventually it was passed on to the little daughter of one of Dad's workmates when I grew out of it.

Least useful present: Dad bought me a working model steam engine when I was three. I don't think I ever got to play with it, but he got his money's worth!

Oh   lol,   sounds like my Son buyin his youngest daughter a Scalectrix set,   She 19 and at College now and he is still playing with her toy. He does let her have a go sometimes.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,815
    MelanieL said:

Chohole said:

Oh   lol,   sounds like my Son buyin his youngest daughter a Scalectrix set

I never, ever bought a toy for my kids that was really for me devil

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    Chohole said:
    MelanieL said:

Even later!

Oh   lol,   sounds like my Son buyin his youngest daughter a Scalectrix set,   She 19 and at College now and he is still playing with her toy. He does let her have a go sometimes.

Did the same when my daughter was two or three, she's now 46 and she and her younger sister were never allowed to use it except under my supervision :)

• NathNath Posts: 2,728
    edited December 2019

One of the many things I picked up along with Tristan 8 is Ellithia - and I'm well impressed... She's stunning.

Ellithia.jpg
    1253 x 893 - 534K
    Post edited by Nath on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,263
    edited December 2019

The earliest present I can remember is the Batmobile from the ‘89 Batman movie. 

Edit: although it wasn’t for Christmas, the earliest present I remember receiving was an Armstrong Mobile Command Powerride after I was hit by a car when I was 3. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224
    Nath said:

One of the many things I picked up along with Tristan 8 is Ellithia - and I'm well impressed... She's stunning.

She certainly is in your render!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Too much Christmas punch I think.

Trying out some new BorisFX filters in Vegas 16 on a DAZ Studio 3D animation.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456
    Nath said:

Wow. Much better than her promo pix, imo.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,779

Oh @Nath, that is beautiful!

Novica, Rubarb is a cat of multiple lives. He came to my family a few weeks after the Baldwin Hills Dam Break in 1963 or 64, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUowiNeF_Rw all muddy, bloody, hungry and full of misery. I wanted to feed him, but my father, who was afraid of cats said no. The cat laid on the brick fence outside our kitchen window, and the next day, I looked out, and there was my dad, lifting up a dish of water to this black and white cat. Later, he brought out a bath towel, gathered him up, and brought him in to bathe him, and found he needed mostly food, water, and warmth. Dad named him Rubarb after a cat who inherited a baseball team in a book. He had been fixed, at a time that was unusual, but still thought he was a tiger. He grew to be pretty huge. But he almost met his death one afternoon; the prime rib was on the counter of our kitchen and he jumped up, snagged it, and pulled it to the floor to chow down on. He also prayed to the great white god in the kitchen at certain times of the day. 

One toy my father, brother and I played with, were live steam engines at a quarter-inch scale. We had an electric switch engine in our back yard (garden) with tracks, and the garage was a machinist's dream. We belonged to the Los Angeles Live Steamers in Griffith Park. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    Gordig said:

The earliest present I can remember is the Batmobile from the ‘89 Batman movie. 

Edit: although it wasn’t for Christmas, the earliest present I remember receiving was an Armstrong Mobile Command Powerride after I was hit by a car when I was 3. 

Wow,! Well, I'm glad they got to buy you a present after being hit by a car! Pretty awesome present too.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2019

Everyone can still post their favoritie/remembered toys, it's not too late LOL.

Post edited by Novica on

LOL I remember the Etch A Sketch and Silly Putty. We used to love lifting newspaper print onto the putty (press the putty into the paper and you got the print onto the putty.)  We thought we were SO clever. That reminded me of Silly String but that came later in life, when we were too old to buy it but too silly not to. Man, that's hard to get out of your hair!  Oh, and yes, the fart cushions. I'm laughing right now thinking of when my uncle (so distinguished of course) sat on it. Even he had to laugh! 

@nath  She does look really nice, her features are really featured with that lighting. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263
    edited December 2019

I like Tristan 8 as a character, but find his bundle very underwhelming, due mainly to the quality of the items included. The clothes look like they weren’t rigged very well, but the hairs I find shockingly bad. In spite of all this, the deal is just too good to pass up, so I am once again in the difficult position of deciding which pro bundle I want for free. I’ve got it mostly narrowed down to Edward, Vladimir or Silas, but possibly Edie, or Ollie, or Sakura, or....

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Novica said:

LOL I remember the Etch A Sketch and Silly Putty. We used to love lifting newspaper print onto the putty (press the putty into the paper and you got the print onto the putty.)  We thought we were SO clever. That reminded me of Silly String but that came later in life, when we were too old to buy it but too silly not to. Man, that's hard to get out of your hair!  Oh, and yes, the fart cushions. I'm laughing right now thinking of when my uncle (so distinguished of course) sat on it. Even he had to laugh! 

@nath  She does look really nice, her features are really featured with that lighting. 

Oh Yeah I remember those as well

The benefit of buying pro bundles are indeed the deals that go with them, plus at times,  you get better discounts when you own more of them. And they'll offer specials to you when you own more of the pro bundles. So yes, know what you mean. If the price is in the $30's or low 40's, it's reasonable to consider them IMO. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    Novica said:

@robertfriese   YES!!!!!  Someone else is more insane than I am. I knew they had to be out there..... (Actually I remember you stating awhile ago you were over 20,000, as was I.)  I know what you mean about finding anything. You really should take a look at Taoz's product that gives you a catalog with images. @taoz would you like to discuss that for my thread surfers?  

Sure.  I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have, or whatever.  It's free for up to 250 products with no time limits or other restrictions. 

• I've purchased it but haven't installed it yet.

I'm hoping to do so within the next couple of days

edited December 2019
    Novica said:

None of the 2.99 deals are working for me, I've been posting on the Sales thread in Commons and suggested it was a regional thing, so we've been comparing regions and that doesn't appear to be it either. Some folks in Germany it works for, others it doesn't. Some in FLorida it does, me it doesn't. And it's worked fine all the other days. So I dumped five things in the cart.

I AM going to sign out before the store turns over, because if it's a cached problem, or some problem that will be a residual, I don't want to be signed in. It's worth a shot. Perhaps try that and see if you get a working sale. There's nothing else we can try on our end.  :( 

The $2.99 items still don't work, unless you put a New item in the cart.  Looks like they've given up trying to fix it. 

A lot of PC+ items are heavily discounted, I get 75% off. 

If you want some really well made no-tube-look G8 male clothes, try these (they're only $3.06 in my cart):

https://www.daz3d.com/casual-outfits-for-genesis-8-males

Oskarsson is always making high quality products, I have a lot of them.

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 2019

Anyone who is interested, look at Taoz's signature, the link is there. I personally really like it. The folks with more than 250 products will really find it worthwhile. (And those with 250 or less. It makes it so easy to see products.) 

Post edited by Novica on

Okay, here's the link to the Because I Said So! contest. I went a different route with a fun idea. You know when you have enthusiasm and you may not get the results you desired, or you did and you were the only one to appreciate it? Here's the link. 

I've purchased it but haven't installed it yet.

I'm hoping to do so within the next couple of days

Yes, I recognized your name on the order, thanks!  I hope you find it useful.  I'd recommend people trying it out before buying though. 

Taoz said:
    Novica said:

None of the 2.99 deals are working for me, I've been posting on the Sales thread in Commons and suggested it was a regional thing, so we've been comparing regions and that doesn't appear to be it either. Some folks in Germany it works for, others it doesn't. Some in FLorida it does, me it doesn't. And it's worked fine all the other days. So I dumped five things in the cart.

I AM going to sign out before the store turns over, because if it's a cached problem, or some problem that will be a residual, I don't want to be signed in. It's worth a shot. Perhaps try that and see if you get a working sale. There's nothing else we can try on our end.  :( 

The $2.99 items still don't work, unless you put a New item in the cart.  Looks like they've given up trying to fix it. 

And the extra 20% off doesn't work today, they remain at $2.99.

Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

What should the price be? Trying to decide if I'll buy some and then turn in a ticket.

Taoz said:
    Taoz said:
    Novica said:

What should the price be? Trying to decide if I'll buy some and then turn in a ticket.

I think it depends on your loyalty bonus (mine is 30%) and other discount triggers but the previous days (when it worked, like yesterday) mine have been $2.10 with a New release in the cart.  Could also be a glitch that it's been so low but $2.99 is definitely not right.  

Mine is 30% also. And I have a new release in the cart.

Didn't someone post 1.67 over in the sales thread? As @barbult so rightly said, this sale is so convoluted (found several different spellings, interesting)  who knows what applies to what. 

I just got them at 2.99 in the wee hours of the morning and checked out quickly before it went nutso. I only got two things so it wasn't a big deal to wait for $2.09 which is what I was getting with the 30% loyalty on MOST days. Sigh.

This discussion has been closed.