Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• I rarely use such hairs myself, I prefer ones on hair caps but doing my own I often paint on the mesh but know those hair are figure specific and often subdivision specific 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

I rarely use such hairs myself, I prefer ones on hair caps but doing my own I often paint on the mesh but know those hair are figure specific and often subdivision specific 

Right - speaking of Subdivision Smoothing...

Changing SubD levels (Smoothing, like on Genesis, etc.,) after hair is made with not be pretty. Make sure you build your hair after setting the SubD Smoothing how you want your figure to be, and then leave it. If I remember correctly, even just changing the render level smoothing will wreck your hair. just be warned!

• I rarely use such hairs myself, I prefer ones on hair caps but doing my own I often paint on the mesh but know those hair are figure specific and often subdivision specific 

Right - speaking of Subdivision Smoothing...

Changing SubD levels (Smoothing, like on Genesis, etc.,) after hair is made with not be pretty. Make sure you build your hair after setting the SubD Smoothing how you want your figure to be, and then leave it. If I remember correctly, even just changing the render level smoothing will wreck your hair. just be warned!

that varies, some you can others you cannot, I think if it was painted on the higher subdivision you cannot but I have changed render subdivision on some and it was OK, hiding parts will break it too

Yeah... come to think of it, I think that happened to me when I was using the duf conforming haircap for Genesis.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 2019

Yeah... come to think of it, I think that happened to me when I was using the duf conforming haircap for Genesis.

oh yeah changing subdivision on hair caps would be the same

hiding the whole object in the assemble is ok but hiding parts of it isn't 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 2019

well the lilfox puma doesn't have geografts or rigid groups.
    it' setup really weird with the hip/pelvis/ and body center. poor carrara trying to deal with it.

couple years ago i had a working sixus krampus, now i can't remember how i fixed it.  frustrating morning.

think is a good day to order a pizza for lunch

mmmm yumma yumma  better than pizza
    workmate picking up lucky spice grill  http://www.luckyspicegrill.com/order-online.php

Post edited by Mistara on

poor carrara

how to make sense of this,

usually the #link matches the internal id

poor carrara.PNG
    778 x 248 - 14K
  • Anyone tried this critter in Carrara?

https://www.daz3d.com/the-exile-alien-hd-for-genesis-3-male

Hoping it can be used without the HD part.

Anyone tried this critter in Carrara?

If you get that lovely fellow working in Carrara, I would love to know about it!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    Mystarra said:

well the lilfox puma doesn't have geografts or rigid groups.
    it' setup really weird with the hip/pelvis/ and body center. poor carrara trying to deal with it.

couple years ago i had a working sixus krampus, now i can't remember how i fixed it.  frustrating morning.

think is a good day to order a pizza for lunch

mmmm yumma yumma  better than pizza
    workmate picking up lucky spice grill  http://www.luckyspicegrill.com/order-online.php

You are an angel for trying heart

I really thought it was just me doing missing something obvious and being stupid. I spent another day at it too, but zilch. I learn so much when you poke at the things thank you!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,527
    edited December 2019

Anyone tried this critter in Carrara?

Works well, if using the skin you need to load an eyelash in the alpha & a transperancy shader in the eye moisture.

G3M Exile Carrara 1.png
    2267 x 1035 - 398K
    G3M Exile Carrara 2.png
    2271 x 1035 - 388K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019

Awesome Bunyip, thanks!

Almost forgot to ask.  Are you using Misty's preset with this?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

he would be otherwise it wouldn't load wink

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,527

G3F, G3M, G8F, & G8M all need Misty's presets to work - thanks once again Misty !!!

edited December 2019
    Bunyip02 said:

G3F, G3M, G8F, & G8M all need Misty's presets to work - thanks once again Misty !!!

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Misty's preset, and I plan on trying it soon.  It is undoubtedly the best solution.  However, I have loaded 2 different G3 products into Carrara so far, and they both work fine (in DS, convert to blended weight and export to collada).  They lack morph controls, but pose controls work, as does morphing in the vertex modeler.  I mainly wanted access to G3 texture maps, which are very realistic.  Sometimes it is fun to go for realism.  My experience so far is, a lot of the IRAY hype with G3 is really more about the quality of those skin maps, because those same maps give the artist just as good or even better results in Carrara.

edited to include blended and collada info

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 2019
    Bunyip02 said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Misty's preset, and I plan on trying it soon.  It is undoubtedly the best solution.  However, I have loaded 2 different G3 products into Carrara so far, and they both work fine.  They lack morph controls, but pose controls work, as does morphing in the vertex modeler.  I mainly wanted access to G3 texture maps, which are very realistic.  Sometimes it is fun to go for realism.  My experience so far is, a lot of the IRAY hype with G3 is really more about the quality of those skin maps, because those same maps give the artist just as good or even better results in Carrara.

what specific products did you manage to load into Carrara may I ask?

Clothing will work if no foot bones and converted to blended weight, most hair will too

but I have never gotten G3M or F in via duf

you can by other means such as collada with limitations 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 2019
    Bunyip02 said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm for Misty's preset, and I plan on trying it soon.  It is undoubtedly the best solution.  However, I have loaded 2 different G3 products into Carrara so far, and they both work fine.  They lack morph controls, but pose controls work, as does morphing in the vertex modeler.  I mainly wanted access to G3 texture maps, which are very realistic.  Sometimes it is fun to go for realism.  My experience so far is, a lot of the IRAY hype with G3 is really more about the quality of those skin maps, because those same maps give the artist just as good or even better results in Carrara.

what specific products did you manage to load into Carrara may I ask?

Clothing will work if no foot bones and converted to blended weight, most hair will too

but I have never gotten G3M or F in via duf

you can by other means such as collada with limitations 

In the Challenge thread, I gave the details.  Nothing new.  Started with blended weight in DS, and exported via Collada.

What are the main limitations with G3 that people are finding?  Maybe I have them as well, but simply haven't discovered them yet.

• now aniblock importer has started crashing Carrara for me, possibly after the last windows 10 update

I went through all my extensions and that was the culprit 

crying the end is coming 

now aniblock importer has started crashing Carrara for me, possibly after the last windows 10 update

I went through all my extensions and that was the culprit 

crying the end is coming 

If that truly is the case, download it again and re-install. Mine is working overtime every day without a glitch, and I'm fairly certain that my Win 10 is up to date (just updated).

I must add, however, that with Windows 10, I unplug my network cable (internet) whenever I'm not specifically needing to access the internet. I've been having bizarre crashes or just odd sluggish performance at kinda random times working in Carrara. I don't think it's Carrara since it never seems to happen if I'm not plugged in.

Just FYI: V4 for Genesis 2 Female does work for applying V4 UV mapping to G2F in Carrara. 

It comes with V4 clones, which brings up V4 in the Auto-fit dialog in Carrara, but I haven't been gettiung proper fitting that way. I haven't tried fitting first in Daz Studio since I don't have a version of my character in DS form. But that might work as an option. 

• Just FYI: V4 for Genesis 2 Female does work for applying V4 UV mapping to G2F in Carrara. 

It comes with V4 clones, which brings up V4 in the Auto-fit dialog in Carrara, but I haven't been gettiung proper fitting that way. I haven't tried fitting first in Daz Studio since I don't have a version of my character in DS form. But that might work as an option. 

there is another product for V4 UV https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female you need to manually do maps in Carrara after loading it

I fit clothes in DAZ studio and save as support asset

edited December 2019

Just FYI: V4 for Genesis 2 Female does work for applying V4 UV mapping to G2F in Carrara. 

there is another product for V4 UV https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female you need to manually do maps in Carrara after loading it

Yup. That's what I bought. Just double-click the Material preset file to get V4 UVs on G2F. It comes with fitting clones too.

Thanks for the know-how. I'll try that. I tried fitting G2F clothes to Genesis in DS (which worked well) and saved as separate support assets, but they don't fit to Genesis in Carrara afterward. Maybe I saved them wrong(?).

EDIT:

I already have the same character in Genesis 1, so not a huge deal, but I'm noticing that sometimes I need some of my earlier generation items along with the G2F clothing she's wearing - so I'll be trying to get this working. Thanks Wendy! You are the Princess of conversion!!! heart

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Just FYI: V4 for Genesis 2 Female does work for applying V4 UV mapping to G2F in Carrara. 

Yup. That's what I bought. Just double-click the Material preset file to get V4 UVs on G2F. It comes with fitting clones too.

Thanks for the know-how. I'll try that. I tried fitting G2F clothes to Genesis in DS (which worked well) and saved as separate support assets, but they don't fit to Genesis in Carrara afterward. Maybe I saved them wrong(?).

they need to be a figure asset not a scene subset

also do the UV and materials in DS and save as a character preset

I thought that too, but I read somewhere (Carrara store page?) recently that applying a character preset to another in Carrara will transfer the proper UV mapping as well - so I tried it and it works!!!

So I could load Victoria 6 and apply Aiko 6 to get Aiko's maps, for example. Right in Carrara!!!

I thought that too, but I read somewhere (Carrara store page?) recently that applying a character preset to another in Carrara will transfer the proper UV mapping as well - so I tried it and it works!!!

So I could load Victoria 6 and apply Aiko 6 to get Aiko's maps, for example. Right in Carrara!!!

yes those are character presets, what I meant is you save your V4 UV ones as well in DS to do the same thing

yes those are character presets, what I meant is you save your V4 UV ones as well in DS to do the same thing

Right, I know. But the product comes with one already: My Daz3d Library > People > Genesis 2 Female > Materials > Victoria 4

There's one file in there to add the UVs to G2F

• Right, I know. But the product comes with one already: My Daz3d Library > People > Genesis 2 Female > Materials > Victoria 4

so you said it's not working for you?

looks like dragonling is gonna need the HD plug-in  https://www.daz3d.com/da-dragonling-hd-for-daz-dragon-3

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/65485/file_list
    Dragonling HD.dhdm

but the eye morphs are dsf smiley MCMDADEyesCloseLeft.dsf

and the displacement maps will need the phong plug-in

looks like will need only the 1 morph converted

i feel like leaving my coffee mug next to my monitor is a catastrophy waiting to happen

Right, I know. But the product comes with one already: My Daz3d Library > People > Genesis 2 Female > Materials > Victoria 4

so you said it's not working for you?

No. That part works great. Auto-fit in Carrara for G2F doesn't work properly even with the V4 clone. It doesn't work for Genesis clothes on G2F either, because Carrara doesn't recognize that it's for a different generation of figure, so we never see the dialog for select what the product is and who it was made for.

think someone posted the hivewire dog doesn't need weight conversion?