Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited October 2019

Hanmar – thanks, you are absolutely right, I messed up, posting the surreal now.laugh I like the re-render of Lake Atorno, the clouds are nice and it still has the painterly effect. Two awesome renders of the mountain islands.

Horo – thanks

Akmerlow thanks, very nice renders especially the 1st hazy one. I agree with Hansmar; in the 2nd the far mountains appear to be floating.

Adbcexcellent scene, great material for the terrain and lighting.

This is the surreal render of a previous challenge entry using one of the skies from https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-landscapes-under-fantastic-skies

curious-fantasy2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 226K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

Hansmar : thank you. Yes I created the structure a while ago with Wings 3D.

Horo, mermaid : thank you.

mermaid : Oustanding surreal render, I like the colours. Well done.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

mermaid - cool idea, excellent scene.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited October 2019

Mermaid: ah, that is a very nice and very surreal render!

I re-rendered one of my island renders with shadows of the clouds. Was quite a challenge to get any sun on the scene, since the gaps in the clouds were small.

I also rerendered another render, with another spherical mapped sky. This time a bit alien pink with blueish clouds. The sharp transition of light is from the lights from the spaceplane, shining on the terrain.

mountainisland1a.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 561K
    faceland1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 775K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

I now suddenly realised that the sun was disabled in my island render(s). Oops! Re-rendering again and new result tomorrow or the day after.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Hansmar said:

The combination of the unusualy flat glassy water with the long clouds produces a neat visual effect.

Thanks Adbc, Horo and Hansmar

Hansmar - two nice renders, love the 1st one, the clouds are awesome

Hansmar : indeed, two very nice renders. The clouds in the first one are great !

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Hansmar said:

I now suddenly realised that the sun was disabled in my island render(s). Oops! Re-rendering again and new result tomorrow or the day after.

In general, a beautiful landscape. And on the right island there is light of the sun.
    There is a simple technique for lighting the entire area with cloud cover, regardless of whether it is volumetric or procedural clouds with shadows included. You create the "Distant light", set the altitude and azimuth as in the sun and exclude volumetric clouds.

Hansmar - the first one looks really good. The second has an interesting light from below. As for setting the sun in a cloud opening, you can move around the camera (after saving the current position), then [Ctrl]+[Alt] double click on the sun roller ball, then in the wire frame single click at the position you want to place the sun (still holding [Ctrl]+[Alt]), then restore the camera position.

edited October 2019

Mermaid, adbc: thanks.

Slepalex: thanks for the suggestion. I used distant lights in the past, but more or less forgot about them. Actually, the 'sun' on the mountain in the right is not the sun, though I don't realise how I got that light now. I still have it in my new render, but this time it really is with the sun, as you can see on the mountain to the left.

Horo: Thanks also, Yes, the [CTRL]+[ALT] trich was known to me. But, as I said, I forgot to re-enable the sun after disabling it earlier.

In this last version, I also modified the sea texture a bit. And now I should stop making versions of the same view.

desert mountain2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 552K
    Hansmar said:

Mermaid, adbc: thanks.

Slepalex: thanks for the suggestion. I used distant lights in the past, but more or less forgot about them. Actually, the 'sun' on the mountain in the right is not the sun, though I don't realise how I got that light now. I still have it in my new render, but this time it really is with the sun, as you can see on the mountain to the left.

Horo: Thanks also, Yes, the [CTRL]+[ALT] trich was known to me. But, as I said, I forgot to re-enable the sun after disabling it earlier.

In this last version, I also modified the sea texture a bit. And now I should stop making versions of the same view.

On the mountain on the left, the sun shines on the right, on the mountain on the right, the sun shines on the left. Very original!
    You figure out why on the mountain to the left is the shadow of the sun. 

edited October 2019

I also noticed what Slepalex mentioned about the shadows and the sun, and would love to know the explanation. The render is awesome

edited October 2019

I think I figured it out! I forgot about the fact that I did the first render with an IBL from the sky. But then I moved te sun and the clouds and everything. But the IBL was still there, unchanged. So the sun in the IBL was from the left, while the sun in the final render was more from the back of the camera. I keep forgetting all those light-sources in Bryce (including e.g. haze and sky dome), which leads me to making strange renders by leaving lights after multiple changes.

Here is the render (smaller version) with just the IBL and some haze as lights. No sky dome (set to black) or other lights, sun disabled. You still see the 'sun' on the right mountain.

And the other render is another example of how you can make weird looking scenes with spherical mapped skies. In this case, the sun is far too white for being so close to the horizon and, because the spherical map was made with the sun in a very different position, there is no sunlight underneath the clouds, where it should be. Nevertheless, I still like this view. I might try to create it in a more realistic manner.

desert mountain2IBL.jpg
    877 x 437 - 163K
    low sun island.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 782K
  • Gosh who were the psychos who designed the Light Lab in Bryce 7? Crazy folks!

Oh wait...yes I can confirm that they were/are crazy folks.

Honestly SlepAlex has made better sense of the Distant Light feature than anyone...myself included. Just like the default sun, the Distant Light also interacts with the cloud layers generated  by the Sky lab. There are certain effects that only the Distant Light can produce. Anyhow fun and fun!

Rashad - IBL also renders the shadows of the normal clouds in the sky, like the Distant Light. The limitations are: don't render as background and Quality only 16. With the background enabled, the shadows will not be cast. If Quality is above 16, Bryce hangs or just renders black.

Hansmar - two nice examples, thanks for the explanations.

Hansmar : very good examples and thanks for explaining.

• Horo said:

Rashad - IBL also renders the shadows of the normal clouds in the sky, like the Distant Light. The limitations are: don't render as background and Quality only 16. With the background enabled, the shadows will not be cast. If Quality is above 16, Bryce hangs or just renders black.

Really? Does that appear to be expected behavior or is that a bug?

edited October 2019

Rashad - I think it just happened, nobody actually checked. It's a light source in the sky, obviously farther away than the clouds. Only the backdrop can be put in front or behind the sky, not the generated lights. It also works with a uniform white HDRI, the shadows are less pronounced and are softer than when an HDRI with a prominent light is used because the light sources are more evenly distributed.

I experimented with anamorphic DOF, something brought up by Len 5 years ago and David fiddled with the idea at the time and made 4 videos. Below a comparison, the light is a bit different, just check the DOF effect the difference is subtle.

Funky Shape 501AD

FunkyShape501AD.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 219K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Rather a simple image, but it is always fun to play with the Sky Lab.

TillTheHorizon3.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 178K
    edited October 2019

Nice experimenting, Horo.

Great sky, Elvis!

Horo said:

Distant Light, sun and IBL interact with procedural clouds, if "Cloud Cover" tab included "Cast Shadows". IBL does not cast shadows if "Use as a backdrop" is enabled. That's right.

<If the quality is above 16, Bryce freezes or just turns black.> I did not understand this. I just visualized a scene with quality 256 and did not notice any problems.

Rather a simple image, but it is always fun to play with the Sky Lab.

Beautiful sky!
    Is this Bryce HDRI?

Horo : great experiment.

Electro-Elvis : awesome sky !

Electro-Elvis - very nice sky.

Hansmar - thank you.

Slepalex - I was so lucky to just use an HDRI that gave the renderer problems to get over the horizon. Meanwhile, I tested many HDRIs with Quality higher than 16 and all work fine. So, yes, the Quality setting is not a problem.

adbc - thank you.

edited October 2019

Horo – nice experiments, I like the result of the one on the right.

Electro-Elvis- simple but beautiful.

I used one of the presets from https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-vegetation for this anaglyph, the chopper is a freebie.

distant-terrain-ana.jpg
    800 x 600 - 520K
    edited October 2019

Mermaid: When will I ever buy the simple 3D glasses? I keep forgetting I need them.

I made another version of my coastal render. I made the clouds more reddish and used another position of the sun. The position of the sun is still very low and I like the more evening-effect I got this way. You can also clearly see shadows of the clouds on the terrain.

desert mountain4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 799K

mermaid - thank you. Great anaglyph how the chopper leaves the screen and comes towards the viewer. Landscape has a nice 3D effect, too.

Hansmar - great results from your cloud experiments.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited October 2019

Thanks everybody for the friendly comments.

@Slepalex: No, it is not a HDRI sky. It is just an ordinary sky.

I wanted to upload it as freebie for everyone, but could not find an appropriate place. If somebody has a suggestion how to proceed in such cases please let me know.

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
This discussion has been closed.