Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2019

Another Freebie! 

Maybe I should start a thread just for freebies.

https://sharecg.com/v/94321/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Axe-for-Barbarian-Daz-Studio-Format-Untextured

Post edited by Diomede on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2019

yeah,   in the freebie forum.     Change forums by clicking the gear icon on your post, click edit and change category on the left hand side,  or repurpose the thread you have there  for all your freebies.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited October 2019

A Month of Tutorials

I am making October a month to go through some of the tutorials I've accumulated from the Daz store.  First up is this old Fugazi tutorial on making content for Genesis using Hexagon, including UVMapping.  I picked it up in October 2013.  About time I took advantage of it.

Fugazi's Genesis Starter Kit with videos on how to make a shirt

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-starter-kit

Tutorial Genesis Starter Kit Fugazi.JPG
    1270 x 825 - 161K

Applying Fugazi's Genesis 1 tutorial for Genesis 8

In the tutorial linked above, Fugazi provides a starter mesh to fit Genesis 1 and then shows how to use the Hexagon bridge to make a shirt.  His shirt has some baked in wrinkle/folds, some piping for the bottom hem, and a badge on the chest.  Here I made a starter mesh for Genesis 8 male and then made a shirt with piping, a badge, and some baked in wrinkles / folds.  This is a onforming shirt.  I don't think itwould do well with DForce. 

gg01 shirt in studio.JPG
    837 x 786 - 84K
    edited October 2019

I will make the above simple shirt available as a feebie.  Tomorrow, another tutorial.

See https://sharecg.com/v/94530/view/21/DAZ-Studio/G8M-Simple-Conforming-Shirt-untextured

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    Diomede said:

Creating Fantasy Barbarian Type Stuff for G8M

<Snip>
    Diomede said:
    No shaders yet, but I've tested some meshes,  Haven't installed the most recent Daz Studio yet.  I see there are new hair options.  I guess that makes the hair part of this project obsolete, but that is OK.  I'm attaching some screenshots of the mesh hair anyway.  If I get the shaders sorted out and touch up some rigidity maps for the necklace and bracers, I'll offer the rest of the outfit as a freebie.  

Lots of changes in my personal life kept me from doing much 3D stuff.  Trying to get motivated again.  Completed my federal service, sold my condo in DC, and am looking for a place to settle down.  Traveled all around the US by train and bus (surface only, no planes).  Went from DC to New Orleans to Houston to Dallas to San Antonio to Los Angeles to San Francisco to Denver to Omaha to Davenport to Chicago and then back to DC.

Hexagon?  That one’s fun for denting and smashing stuff, but making things in it.  Hat’s off in being able to make stuff.  Thanks for sharing and also how you went about it.

PS:  That sounds like one heck of a roadtrip.  Congrads on retirement and best wishes on housing market & settling down. :)

--Bruce

Thanks, Bruce.  I started the project in Hexagon but it crashed on me.  I'm pretty sure that was user error (I tried something shouldn't), but I ended up completing the mesh in Carrara.  

Had a great cross country circle on trains and buses.  Now I'm spending a month on the Maine coast watching tutorials and doing some academic writing.

edited October 2019

Today's Tutorials - Two DForce Related Tutorials

Richard Schafermeyer and Digital Art Live produced a DForce tutorial that I keep meaning to watch.  Today is the day!

https://www.daz3d.com/powerful-dforce-discoveries-and-solutions

Pandygirl and WildDesigns included a DForce tutorial for their store product, White Wedding Outfit.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-white-wedding-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

I may post an image with the wedding dress later today.  Iray render take forever on my obsolete equipment, so might not.  

hh02 dforcepowerful discoveries tutorial by digital art live and richard.JPG
    994 x 786 - 117K
    hh01 pandygirl white wedding dforce tutorial.JPG
    1048 x 784 - 102K

Turns out that the DForce discoveries tutorial by Richard Schafermeyer and Digital At Live is a two parter.  Watched the first half yesterday.  Will watch the second half today.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

He has two part PDF that's pretty good too.  Part of tut?

Forgot about modeling room & export as .obj from Carrara.  Been meaning to get back to that one.  (Disk crash had me wiped out for a while.)

Anyway, enjoy your stay in Maine.  Probably a bit cooler than central Texas right now! 

edited October 2019

Review - I highly recommend the above Richard Schafermeyer tutorial under vendor name Digital Art Live.  Learned a lot about DForce, but also about wind, props,and more.  It is very well organized, although the first part has a certain "eat your vegetables because they are good for you" quality.

Well, I tried to use DForce to get the initial drape of a TShirt, but there was not much folding.  I will still offer it as a freebie.  This is a shirt for VYusur's custom child figure Leon, available in the Daz store.  I will post it in my thread in the Freebies forum.

edited October 2019

Today's tutorial - Modeling with LittleFox

https://www.daz3d.com/modeling-with-littlefox-part-collection1

This tutorial is in PDF format.

This is a tutorial that use a software that I don't have (Modo).  But by the description, LittleFox says she focuses on the project and that I should be able to translate the tutorial to modeling programs that I do own.  I discovered in the Hexagon forum that I did not have the most current version installed, so that may have been an issue when I was modeling the G8M shirt after the Fugazi tutorial.

I'm a big fan of Lady LittleFox's content.  Really looking forward to the tutorial.

today modeling with Littlefox part 1 modo.JPG
    552 x 757 - 70K
  • Thank you for your reviews @Diomede.

If you could add a link to the tutorial it would be great. (For those using Ati's add-on the link to this page would appear when checking the page of the tutorial and for others it would be easier after reading your review to go to the page and purchase the tutorial.)

Thank you for your reviews @Diomede.

If you could add a link to the tutorial it would be great. (For those using Ati's add-on the link to this page would appear when checking the page of the tutorial and for others it would be easier after reading your review to go to the page and purchase the tutorial.)

I went back and added links to the tutorials in the posts.  Good suggestion.  Stupid oversight on my part.

• Thank you.

Interested in that Modeling with Littlefox one as I own it but didn't read yet (shame on me!).

edited October 2019

.Review - Modeling with LittleFox Parts 1 and 2.

This is a three part PDF tutorial.  I only completed the first two parts.  The first part is focused on modeling the mesh in Modo.  The second part focuses on material zones, group names, and UVMapping.  UVMapping is shown both in Moo and in UVLayout.  

The pdf was very easy to follow.  LadyLittleFox has a greats sense of humor and it really comes through.  She dives right into a project - modeling a dress for V4.  Each step is explained clearly.  There are plenty of great modeling tips that will translate to any software, but the step by step approach is definitely tied to Modo.  UVmapping is shown for both Modo and UVLayout.  It was good to see a professional set of UVs, but without either Modo or UVLayout, I'm afraid I'm at a loss for that part for the moment.  I have 3DCoat, but I won't be doing 3DCoat tutorials until later in the month. 

Overall, I'm very glad I worked my way through the first two parts.  I will go trough the third part tomorrow, which focuses on getting the figure transferred to Poser and Daz Studio.

In the meantime, I practiced some of Lady LittleFox's modeling tips by creating a dress mesh for Vyusur's stand-alone girl figure, Teena.  This dress model's UVMaps are still a mess, and I'd ike to clean up the mesh a bit as well.  Therefore, the dress is not ready to be released as a freebie yet.  Maybe later in the week.

teena dress wip.JPG
    776 x 783 - 73K
    edited October 2019

Today's Tutorial - Part 3 of Modeling with LittleFox - Getting to Daz Studio and Poser

This is a PDF tutorial.

https://www.daz3d.com/modeling-with-littlefox-part-3-dazstudio

Yesterday, I worked through Part 1 (Modeling in Modo) and Part 2 (Material zones and UVMapping in Modo and UVLayout).  I don't own Modo or UVLayout so I tried to translate as much as possible to programs I do own. Today, I am going to work through Part 3, which by the title ought to be focused on importing to Daz Studio, fitting, rigging, and similar functionality. I'm expecting this part to be 100% useful because I do own Daz Studio and a 2014 version of Poser. If I finish with enough time to revisit the UVs of yesterday's practice project, I'll post the Teena dress as a freebie.

modeling with little fox part three daz studio.JPG
    808 x 768 - 99K
  • You made a very cute dress! Thank you for the review.

UV Mapping is something I still don't get. Maybe one day.

.Review - Modeling with LittleFox Part 3 - Getting to Daz Studio 

OK, my bad, this tutorial is clearly labeled, but I didn't think it through.  LittleFox shows how to create a detailed dress for Victoria 4.  Well, that figure was designed for the legacy Poser CR2 format, and its rigging system.  So, the tutorial is out of date for content for newer figures like the Teena dress I posted above.  Lady LittleFox remains well organized and explains things clearly and with humor.

I'm still glad I went through the tutorial, and some of the lessons are useful, but the transfer utility has changed the basics or Studio figures like Genesis.  I still create some of my own figures for Carrara, which still can accept the legacy Poser CR2, so I can still use a lot of the lessons.  However, I think most people would prefer a more recent tutorial that focses on Genesis figures and Sudio's more recent rigging maps and brushes.

edited October 2019

Next Tutorial - Also an Older One - Dark Edge Desgns - Developer Trade Secrets

I have adjusted my expectations.  This is another tutorial that might spend a large share of time on specific tools for Poser that might have been updated differently in Daz Studio, but llike the LadyLittleFox above, the big picture might still be useful (I hope).  

https://www.daz3d.com/developer-trade-secrets

developer trade secrets dark edge design out of date.JPG
    857 x 786 - 90K
    edited October 2019

Practice Project - Lady LittleFox and Dark Edge Designs Tutorials - Poser CR2 file Figure

Gramps clothing - a 3D Universe figure available here in the Daz store.  https://www.daz3d.com/toon-gramps

I'm going to make something for Gramps that will use some lessons from the above tutorials.  Gramps is rigged in the legacy format and contained in a CR2 file.

I haven't given up on the Teena dress above, but I will return to it when I get to tutorials for the correct rigging type.

Funny, I haven't opened Poser for a long time.  Even when I wasn't assembling or rendering in it, I would occasionaly use its cloth room and save out the draped obj.  The destination will not be just Poser, it will be any program that can open CR2 files.  That would include Daz Studio and Carrara.

tt01 toon gramps in Poser.JPG
    1236 x 822 - 108K

I made a base mesh for some robes for 3DU Gramps.  I will add some wrinkles, folds, etc.   

As per Lady LittleFox, I will use Daz Studio to create the robe's CR2 file, making sure to include "body handles" for the skirt of the robes.

gramps robe base mesh needs wrinkles.JPG
    742 x 735 - 68K
    edited October 2019

Here is the dress for Vyusur's Teena girl character.  It conforms but I still need to tidy up some issues.

dress fitted to teena.JPG
    588 x 708 - 52K
    edited October 2019

Here are the robes for 3DU's Gramps character.  It conforms but I still need to tidy up some issues.

WIP Gramps not quite there yet.JPG
    791 x 755 - 64K
    edited October 2019

Next Tutorial - Rigging Original Figures in Daz Studio - Blondie9999

https://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

Still relatively old tutorial.  I purchased it in 2013, so some tools might have been updated since.  I have some custom figures that I have rigged in Carrara.  I will pick one of those meshes and rig it in Studio instead of the gingerbread man in the tutorial.

rigging original figure in daz studio blondie.JPG
    1008 x 827 - 119K
    edited October 2019

Interesting tutorial.  I've gotten 2/3s through.  I still need to edit the weight maps.  I modeled my own gingerbread man so I can share as a freebie. A couple of differences that I wanted was to add the buttons and cuff decorations as conforming figures.  The buttons will help me transition to the next tutorial, which is on rigidity maps.  The eyes are boned so they can rotate and have lids that I will add blink morphs for.  

Blondie9999 does a great job with this pdf tutorial.  One great thing abot pdfs is that you can hold your place, and go back to a reference, when you work on the lesson.  There are a couple of changes to Daz Studio since this was released.  For example, a tool name has changed.  The tool once called Polygon Group Editor in Daz Studio is now called the Gemetry Editor, but both are invoked by alt-shft-G.

Here is a work in progress for how far I have gotten.  Here I've put my base mesh side by side with a posed figure.  You can se how rough the weight mapping still is.

Gingerbread Man

wip for gingerbread man.JPG
    811 x 628 - 61K
    edited October 2019

Tomorrow, I will finish the basic rigging tutorial by editing the gingerbread man's weightmaps.

Next tutorial, Rgidity Mapping and Grouping in Daz Sudio 4.5, also a pdf by Blondie9999

https://www.daz3d.com/rigidity-grouping-and-mapping-in-ds-4-5

Rigidity Mapping in Daz Studio 45.JPG
    941 x 780 - 101K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Diomede said:

Here is the dress for Vyusur's Teena girl character.  It conforms but I still need to tidy up some issues.

Nice dress, Ted! I like it very much!

Thanks, Veronika.  I need to work on the shoulders puff and the skirt folds a little.  Teena and Leon are excellent to use.

edited October 2019

Yet another tutorial. 

Well, this one is more of a reference.  The Comprehensive Guide to Rigging Tools in Daz Studio.

I get a 404 error when I try to o to the poduct page, so I assume this is no longer available.

windar front page.JPG
    792 x 729 - 69K