Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

Now that looks really cool Diomede.  Your test render is fantastic!

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited May 2018

@Diomede - Excellent ideas. I'm finding in so many ways that dforce can be a game-changer. Things that would have been exceedingly difficult for me are now actually within reach with a little creativity. Thanks for sharing these.

Post edited by Wanderer on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited May 2018

Thanks, @themidget and @Wanderer.

A couple people have asked about modeling their own content when they want that specialty item not available in the store.  I had an old thread in the cmmons devoted to making content.  Here are some links to comments in that thread that I would recommend to someone getting ready to do advanced kitbashing or beginning modeling.  It needs to be updated for DForce, but these should still be helpful to some.

content creation does not have to be scary
    Vickie in a barrel -https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/939565/#Comment_939565
    Some basics of modeling clothingaround a figure, selection, manipulaiton, using extrude and similar tools - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941914/#Comment_941914
    and
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941921/#Comment_941921

and - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941930/#Comment_941930

on edge flow - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941938/#Comment_941938

and  - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941951/#Comment_941951

boots from hexagon to studio - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/947417/#Comment_947417

weightmaps and joint bends
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/947661/#Comment_947661

patience55 on types of skirts -https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/950253/#Comment_950253

and
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/952092/#Comment_952092

on the difficulty of JCMs - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/979163/#Comment_979163

custom morph creation - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2394546/#Comment_2394546

Post edited by Diomede on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988

Great suggestions there, @Diomede!

And very nice models you created, too!

• themidgetthemidget Posts: 287

Thanks for the links @Diomede.

Thank you, @BeeMKay and @themidget.  That thread included quite a few useful posts from several PAs who offered insights and suggestions.

@Diomede - Thank you again for the links. I really appreciate your willingness to help the guy coming along behind you.

@Wanderer - my pleasure, what I like about these forums is that so many people are eager to share, and are willing to help each other.  Temporarily in the end-of-semester grading hole, so apologize ahead of time if I don't honor that maxim for the next week or so.

Oh gosh, I remember those days. I do not envy you. Well, be here when you can. It's always a pleasure.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Diomede said:

@Wanderer - my pleasure, what I like about these forums is that so many people are eager to share, and are willing to help each other.  Temporarily in the end-of-semester grading hole, so apologize ahead of time if I don't honor that maxim for the next week or so.

I honestly believe that the help provided by everyone in the forums has cut the learning curve for me in half.  Easily.

Don't envy you the grading at all lol. 

edited May 2018

Thanks, Wanderer and IceDragonArt.  Decided to take a break from term papers (you'd think the internet would result in an increase in the average amount of valuable research and evidence cited, but noooo...).

Decided to do a quick image for the PC Club theme, which is books.  This was done in Carrara because I am still faster in that program.  With Philemo's GMIC plugin, there are a bunch of filters that can be applied automatically.

Really just for fun and to blow off steam.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Really cute butterfly net scene!

I was full time faculty at a university and don't miss grading papers at all. (I do miss being an academic advisor and helping out that way.)  I taught in several departments and couldn't believe some of the spelling from Education majors. Chinnies was Chinese. Heaven help us if they think they're going to teach others. It wasn't typos either. That student and I had a chat. I'm sure you get some interesting work from your students too. 

edited May 2018

@Novica - thanks, I need to get back to my butterfly net.  Finally got through all the term papers and exams, and the grades are turned in.  Woohoo!.  On the whole, they did pretty well, so I'm going to encourage everyone to be hopeful for the future.  I still agonized over every mistake because that is what some of us do.  

I need to get caught up.  I am excited to get back to the new users challenge and finish the butterfly net project.  Hope I can still find it.  LOL.

Also, the theme for the Carrara challenge is film noir, so I'm definitely going to dive deep into harsh shadows.

edited May 2018

Absent a lot recently because my cable and internet are having tech issues.  Here is something I did for PC.  It is slow going, but I am starting to get a better understanding of the Studio's shader system so I was able to grunge up the clothing a little.  Slow progress, but steady I hope.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I really like what you did for the Metropolis - Oz recombination. quite the ambitious project and you dis an awesome job with it!

Thank you.  I really enjoyed all of the New User topics thus far.  There is a lot to learn, and your help has been invaluable.  It is wonderful the way folks try to help each other in the forums.

RE: the Metrpol-Oz 2 project - I find both Metropolis and The Wizard of Oz inspiring examples of storytelling, so it was a lot of fun trying to put them together.

edited June 2018

Will the North Pole get its mail?

Will Santa Claus come to town?

A little modeling fun.

polar postal service 01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 137K
    edited June 2018

Claymation? Or, is it slay-mation?

Here is the Femme Fatale that may lead our dapper postman astray.

Ugh grading papers lol!  I hated writing them probably as much as you all hate grading them lol.   Its nice to know there may still be hope for the future lol.

Love the book cover, it has a very iconic fantasy feel to it.  Great job on the soldier you have conveyed a real sense of urgency and fear and motion.  And the grungy up is great!.

I always enjoy your modelling, you have a great sense of whimsy in what you do. Looks like the poor guy doesn't stand a chance lol!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I've actually got the claymation Fred Estaire / Polar Postman model rigged in both Carrara and Studio.  The Femme Fatale is currently only riggd in Carrara, but I hope to complete a Studio version soon.  

edited June 2018

And here is a claymation work in progress.  Sonja was right.  The postman never had a chance!

The challenge theme is film noir, so I am struggling with getting the right balance between harsh shadows, dark key light, and still seeing certain details.

edited June 2018

I'm sitting here at work laughing, because even after she tied him up, he is still looking at her rear lol. apparently, it was worth it!

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

I'm sitting here at work laughing, because even after she tied him up, he is still looking at her rear lol. apparently, it was worth it!

LOL - tying him up and leaving him in the snow, what is colder right now, her heart or his behind?  

After she has thrown him away, he’ll end up like this

@Diomede - you've been missed at the new user challenge. This guy reminds me of Theda Bara's A Fool There Was. Quite a different ending than I imagined for him when you conjured up that nostalgic memory of Christmas Past.

edited June 2018

Great to see you posting again, Wanderer.  Thanks for the nice comment.  I like the topic for this month's NU challenge (landscapes) and have some ideas, but I'm still having outside issues so I'm not posting as much.  Then when I do, everything comes in a wave!  I hope I get time to try some things.  June's topic is a good excuse to try to make an HDRI in Bryce to use in Studio, or to try to use Ultrascatter.  

How is your issue with Ollie going?  Did Linwelly's solution work for you? Or, do you need to return?

Experimenting with ways to get a custom terrain in Studio.  I was able to get the obj in, but I still struggle with Studio's Iray surfaces.  

Here is what I wanted in general.  Flat foreground area looking across a valley with a stream.  A cave high up on the far cliff, with a flat area in front of the cave.
    Started in PSE just blocking out the basics of what I wanted.  No cave yet.  I did some blurring and editing to get a grayscale heightmap that could be used in Bryce or similar program.

I imported the heightmap in Carrara and applied a rain erosion filter.  I then exported the eroded heightmap back to PSE so I could create opacity masks fr the river and the cave/plateau.

I loaded again in Carrara and created two versions - one with the river opacity and one without.

05 duplicated the rough landscape layer.JPG
    1445 x 842 - 106K
    20 save as the landscape.JPG
    1219 x 834 - 62K
    32 reduce settings to 1 percent strength and 20 percent smooth.JPG
    1794 x 1000 - 155K
    33 can save the post rain filter heightmap.JPG
    1725 x 859 - 159K
    39 masking layer white land and black stream.JPG
    1913 x 993 - 119K
    45 see terrain with river and outcropping.JPG
    1880 x 974 - 163K

The problem with a cave in typical heightmap based terrains is the problem of an overhang.  An overhang needs two vertical points, but a grayscale ony offers one. I loaded and duplicated the new terrain map.   I converted one copy to a vertex object.   I then used a modeler to convert to carve out the cave.  I created shader domains for the foregound, the river bed, the cave, the cave plateau, and the general land area. For the second copy, I imported the river opacity as a second additive heightmap and set to a lo number, like 5 feet heig.  This created the river and banks.  I converted this second terrain to a vertex object.  I matched the two terrains to have the river above the bed.  I then deleted unneeded polygons of the second terrain object. I combined the two vertex objects to a singe object.  I used the program's procedural shaders to create mateials on the land based on slope and altitude.  I then baked those shaders as material maps that could be applied on the domains. I exported the errain as an obj.

48 convert to other modeler.JPG
    1891 x 849 - 136K
    55 see from underside that have rive water selected.JPG
    1877 x 962 - 290K
    63 cave modeled and shading domain.JPG
    1763 x 829 - 295K
    65 baker to export diffuse map.JPG
    1873 x 835 - 147K
    edited June 2018

In Studio, I imported the obj.  I applied the Iray Uber shader preset.  I loaded the baked maps in the basic color channel.  I did a test render.

- The obj came in fine, but I really need a lot of advice for converting the shaders.

Yuk!!!    But, it is a start.

69 zoom out to see terrain.JPG
    1898 x 951 - 204K
    wip 2 landscape highe res texture maps.jpg
    3000 x 2000 - 4M
    Diomede said:

Great to see you posting again, Wanderer.  Thanks for the nice comment.  I like the topic for this month's NU challenge (landscapes) and have some ideas, but I'm still having outside issues so I'm not posting as much.  Then when I do, everything comes in a wave!  I hope I get time to try some things.  June's topic is a good excuse to try to make an HDRI in Bryce to use in Studio, or to try to use Ultrascatter.  

How is your issue with Ollie going?  Did Linwelly's solution work for you? Or, do you need to return?

First--interesting work there on the cave. Good luck with the landscape challenge. Second, thank you for caring to know--I'm attempting to work with support currenlty.  So, I'll post something if/when that's fixed. Keep going!