Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Thank you all very much for your support of Albert and the Crew..today I have the attention span of a gnat ....I have been on google earth most of the day swimming with great white sharks off the coast of Calif. What a cool feature.....I will download Gimp somtime today......Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

A little bit of this Quick Conversion of SFX Hyper Texture for Shadowless HDRI and lots of button pushing. 34 second render time.

SpecularInvert.jpg
    700 x 700 - 420K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

A little bit of this Quick Conversion of SFX Hyper Texture for Shadowless HDRI and lots of button pushing. 34 second render time.

Oooh, now that's rather smart.
    I on the other hand have no render to show, in attempting to reply to things people have said - I'm watching a thin white line... yawn, think I'll leave it overnight.
    And you do get some credit - I felt quite pleased to have created a weird ball - with scafolding - and almost without a recipe - and if you hadn't nudged me into it I might well not have.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: That balloon image turned out well. And I'm another one who agrees it'd look nice on the front of a card.

@fencepost: No one person can hog the credit for crashing Wings. It just take one too many smooths, or so I've found. It's why when working on something nice I save a copy BEFORE starting to smooth. Your latest hyper texture image is fantastic. A question about sphere color is in a PM.

@Trish: Check your PM.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - that one looks really great, nice backdrop, too.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Fencepost – really magnificent, I love how you and the others add your own dimensions to David’s tutorial.

Guss – Thanks :)

Regarding textures, I had a look at Fencepost’s tutorials (yet to try it) and I’m wondering how can I save a pic as a texture in the texture library. I know how to save it as a material and but not as a texture. Thanks

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I'll post this one here. I did originally start doing it for the render challenge, but thought it's not really Frozen, it's more 'the thaw' :)

I just like how the snow patches turned out.

ArcticSceneALT.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 244K
    edited December 1969

Snow looks really good, sky too.

• DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Fencepost52 - The ball is nice but I am more intrigued by the ground plane/background of the render. Do you recall what settings you used to create that rippled effect? It kind of looks like the ball is on a sheet of Mylar film or liquid mercury.

@TheSavage64 - Your render could be the entrance to some little bay in Antarctica and that is quite "Frozen". I say submit it, but that's just me.

Another look at my Spanish castle. The general lighting has been increased slightly, I have increased the blurring of the reflection on the water (hopefully), and I've added more castle. I hope it meets with approval.

Spanish_Castle-a.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 400K
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I love the results and the speed at which it renders. I've got some other experiments to run and if they come out fine, I'll upload the renders here.

@Guss: You're right about Wings, nobody can own the crash count. :) Check your PM's. I sent you a response.

@mermaid: I'm not entirely sure about saving textures either but that's definitely on my todo list. However, I did find this tutorial (dated a bit, but should still be the same): http://www.angelfire.com/journal/LynxspiritsTutorials/Materials.html Let me know if you try it out and if it works or not.

@Dangerlad: I don't have the settings with me right now, but I'll post a screenshot tonight with them. I really don't think it's anything major that creates the effect; appears to be simply bump mapping and setting the texture to map in a way it's not designed to work. For example, if the texture is made for parametric mapping, change it to spherical. But, my screenshot will definitely be more helpful. I can't comment on your newest submittal because my work monitors aren't calibrated right and it looks very dark on the screen. I'll comment tonight.

@Dave: I'm from Florida so it really doesn't matter whether it's thawing, lightly snowing, or just plain freezing, it's all COLD to me! Nice work.

Art

edited November 2013

@Dangerlad: Here you go....

Really nothing to the settings. Pretty standard actually. I also got a screenshot of the texture I used for the bump map, but any of them will work. Try messing around with the Texture Mapping Modes to see what you get. Also change up the texture scale and rotation.

ZBumpMapTexture.png
    660 x 408 - 157K
    PlaneTexture.png
    639 x 513 - 412K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

So, after a long wait - involving me changing my mind a lot, finally here is the render I've been working on,
    someone wondered what's for dinner? Well this is the answer:

LivingRoom1LightTableCloth6.jpg
    1120 x 801 - 218K
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Fran: good looking food
    Fencepost: nice image both of them....LOL
    Dave: part of it is still frozen....
    Dangerlad: do a close up so we can see what you made......the image is very nice

Winston!!!! NOOOOOOO!!

"Winston you can not play with my explosives...." " you could really hurt Bacon!!" no more cutting the lock off with your clippers

no_playing_with_tnt2.jpg
    1140 x 569 - 491K
    Winston_and_bacon.jpg
    1121 x 621 - 426K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: I've saved textures after creating them, or modifying them, in the DTE by clicking on the top right button on the combination window in the DTE. This button takes you to the texture library where you can do like the other libraries, save it to Installed or under User. I sometimes save a preset texture in this way because I can easily forget the texture name and location.

@Dave: Very nice image.

@Dangerlad: We may nit pick but the final decision is up to the creator. I do think the improved lighting does make the image look better.

@Trish: Your Albert images keep getting better and better, or funnier and funnier. Nice work.

@franontheedge: Sooo, what time is dinner? That's a yummy looking spread.

Finally got some good results from David's hpyer texture tutorial, it was hard to stop once I got started.

Trio_Group_18.png
    757 x 757 - 517K
    Trio_Group_12.png
    757 x 757 - 634K
    Trio_Group_1.png
    757 x 757 - 691K
    Sphere_Test_34.png
    1080 x 810 - 890K
    Sphere_Test_13.png
    1080 x 810 - 735K
    edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - lighting is improved.

@franontheedge - things are nicely set for a cheesy meal.

@Trish - Albert cares nicely for Winston.

@GussNemo - all shapes look great. The top one with the anaglyph in the background looks particularly good with the blue in the rills.

edited December 1969

Fencepost: nice image both of them....LOL

The best part is they only took minutes to "render" :D

Those new renders of Albert and Winston are great! Keep up the good work.

@franontheedge: I'm sad I didn't an invite for dinner.....Good work!

@Guss: Those are some snazzy renders.

The second one gives the impression of light rays coming down from the sky. I like the "starburst" in the first. Love the very last one.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. The anaglyph just appeared, or it was in the BhutanBridge HDRI, don't know which. Though I did like the effect.

@fencepost: Thanks. I'm just glad I finally got something that came close to the tutorial. I tried several of the HDRIs I have, some worked, most didn't. I'll have to save up and invest in a few of the ones David and Horo have for sale. Also, some of those I posted have a combination of negative specular HDRI setting with a positive HDRI effect setting, and vise versa. Interesting some of the effects you can get that way. The image below has both a negative specular and HDRI effect settings.

Sphere_Test_24.png
    1080 x 810 - 469K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - thanks, yeah, it's the BhutanBridgeNEana, a queer thing but it's true, it can give quite interesting light. And yes again, playing with negative values for light and specular can give very surprising results.

edited November 2013

Looks great, GN! I'll continue with my experiments as well. That's how you learn?

Horo how do you use the Bhutan Bridge in Bryce? Isn't it a jpg? Do you have to convert it using something like HDRShop?

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

Horo how do you use the Bhutan Bridge in Bryce? Isn't it a jpg? Do you have to convert it using something like HDRShop?

This is a spherical HDRI panorama anaglyph in the angular map projection made exclusively for Bryce. Just load it as HDRI in the IBL tab of the Sky Lab.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A challenge for David B.

Can you do something like this with Bryce and Octane?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/31201/P90/#488310

edited December 1969

Yesterday was The Day of the Doctor... A fine piece of Tellybox viewing that topped off a week of celebrations for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who.

As a result I was inspired to work on this little scene where Ralph cheekily hitches a ride on the back of a Dalek across the carpet.

The main colour of the Dalek body is textured using David and Horo's set of 50 metals 'The Heatingroom' to look like it had seen better days. Lighting is supplied almost entirely from the accompanying Old Heating Room HDRI with only the addition of two yellowish radials for highlights. The fade to black in the background is simply done by setting the haze to black.

RideOnDalek.jpg
    975 x 975 - 406K
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited November 2013

Optical illusion or perhaps a tiredness meter :D
    1.Precondition = crystal clean computer monitor .
    2.Click on the image and look fast ,randomly at the clouds quality .
    Look at the clouds and you'll see that they are moving ? :lol:
    Original post here http://www.sharecg.com/v/73248/view/5/3D-Model/Mountain-bridge-for-Bryce (2 days ago). I should post some pics for the Frozen contest but i guess those already posted on web doesn't count anymore only the new ones :). Anyways enjoy this view .Comments pro or cons are welcomed to improve my skills .

Mountain_bridge2.jpg
    950 x 534 - 232K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

@fencepost - of course you're invited - if you look carefully you might be able to see that there are at least 3 knives on the table, and there is more than 1 plate, and possibly a teasny bit of cheese might be around... Lol!

@GussNemo,
    Wow, I really must have a go at that HyperTexture tut - it looks like such fun, you've got some great results there.
    You asked what time is dinner?
    Well the clock outside in the street might hint at teatime:

This render is actually a follow on from me trying to sell lanterns, this standard lamp type being one of them, although this view is probably too busy for that.
    I was thinking of reducing everything but the lantern to basic gray...
    But if anyone has any tips on how to improve the lighting while retaining the view of the lit lantern - something I have problems with - I would appreciate that.

LantVerdigrisStandDragon9.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 1M
    edited December 1969

That's a great looking lamp Franontheedge.

If I could offer a suggestion or two:
    1. Try making the light 'fall off' sooner, maybe by choosing 'Ranged' in the light settings in the Light Lab.
    That would have the effect of the outer edges of the render going into real darkness and thus focusing the attention better on the source of the light instead of getting side tracked so much by what it's lighting.

Or

2. If you fancied sacrificing your scene, you could try the lamp in the corner of a room. I'd set it so that the curved rod was against the very corner so that the light emitting from it ran out down the walls. Then just add some simple furniture on the very outer edge of the scene, maybe a sofa arm or something similar just to hint at it being indoors. :)

edited December 1969

@fencepost: Thanks. I've played around a bit with the Cosmics texture and that same sphere. See below.

@Dave: Ralph sure is a brave fellow. That entire scene turned out well.

@cris: Love the mountains, and the entire scene is really nice.

@franontheedge: That's a nice scene.

I remember fencepost saying something about playing around with the mapping mode and did just that with the image where I used the Cosmics texture. I finally achieved what I was after but the colors of the sphere didn't work. So in playing around hyper texture, over-driven material, and a few other settings, the fifth image is the result. If these five images post in the correct order, the first is the starting point for the final ground material look. They also show color progression to the final results.

Sphere_Test_27_5_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Sphere_Test_27_4_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Sphere_Test_27_3_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Sphere_Test_27_2_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 1001K
    Sphere_Test_27_1_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 882K
    edited November 2013

I'll post this one here. I did originally start doing it for the render challenge, but thought it's not really Frozen, it's more 'the thaw' :)

I just like how the snow patches turned out.

Okay Dave, what the message? Is my entry or the title off the topic for the challenge? :roll:

Your “Thaw” image is cool. I also like the Ralph and Dalek render.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: I'm not entirely sure about saving textures either but that's definitely on my todo list. However, I did find this tutorial (dated a bit, but should still be the same): http://www.angelfire.com/journal/LynxspiritsTutorials/Materials.html Let me know if you try it out and if it works or not.

Art

I had a quick look at the tutorial, the texture was saved in the material library. Thanks for the link. I don't think that a pic can be saved as texture.
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: I've saved textures after creating them, or modifying them, in the DTE by clicking on the top right button on the combination window in the DTE. This button takes you to the texture library where you can do like the other libraries, save it to Installed or under User. I sometimes save a preset texture in this way because I can easily forget the texture name and location.

Thanks Guss, I know how to save the textures when I make them in the DTE I like to know if a picture was used for bump etc, if it can be saved as a texture in the texture library for future use.

Wow all your experiments are so cool, I love the results of the last one.

Trish – wow you have a great story here

Fran - nice spread, the food is looking good. The lantern scene is looking nice.

Cris333 – love the mountain scene

edited December 1969

@Dave - looking great, the Martian is quite special (little green men are Martians, aren't they? It's not bug-eyed so it can't be a Vogon).

@cris333 - great material on the mountain.

@franontheedge - I don't think it's too busy. The lantern looks great.

@GussNemo - interesting to see the progress. All 5 look great, it is just a question for what scene the ball is intended for.

This discussion has been closed.