Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

They did it a lot in horror movies too. I guess not every render has to be perfectly lit, it's just that the majority you see are.

CHEERS!

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Jeremy Birn's book mentions that movie scenes at night are often shot on streets that are (sometimes improbably) wet, because the reflective surfaces add light to the scene.

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:

They did it a lot in horror movies too. I guess not every render has to be perfectly lit, it's just that the majority you see are.

CHEERS!

Yes, I was just thinking of the sci-fi flick, Pitch Black. A lot of scenes were very dark, but the darkness was used as a part of the story, not just 'hey it's supposed to be dark.' Right before he gets killed by the aliens, the antiquities collector is in complete darkness, muttering to himself, "I was supposed to die in France. I never even saw France." He then blows his last swig of alcohol out of his mouth onto an ember creating a brilliant burst of flame showing all the creatures that surrounded him in the darkness. So, yeah, darkness is used with light in movies and TV to tell stories. There needs to be contrast in a frame or in a scene to keep the audience interested.

Post edited by daveleitz on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Yes, I was just thinking of the sci-fi flick, Pitch Black.

Great film along with chronicles of riddick

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Jeremy Birn's book mentions that movie scenes at night are often shot on streets that are (sometimes improbably) wet, because the reflective surfaces add light to the scene.

I love that wet pavement at night look. lol, that reminds me of another movie that I think had pretty cool lighting: Flatliners. There was that scene where Kiefer Sutherland was crossing the wet street at night and a group of cyclists went by him.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited November 2013

...very familiar with Film Noir as it is one of my favoruite genres.

Even GM'd a Shadowrun RPG campaign setting that had a decidedly Film Noir feel to it. In one of the segments the team's Decker ended up in a sculpted system that was totally set in the style. Had a lot of fun with that.

I was hoping the scene I posted several pages back with KK and the elf ganger captured that feel.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:

...I wish there was a way to get that here. Just upping the reflectivity doesn't work. We need some kind of universal "wet map" shaders for scenery sets and props.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,781
    edited November 2013

Genesis 2 Male with Philip materials and some morphs dialed in.
    Also used Alchemy Chasm Light1 preset.

G2Male11pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 268K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2013

... and Michael 6. Used Porcelain Lights from Slosh's Dolled Up.
    Both rendered in Daz Studio 4.6 Pro.

M6sc06pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 280K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Again Michael 6, but with UE replaced by Advanced Ambient Light.
    Looks better to me than the previous one.

M6sc07pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 287K
    edited December 1969

The last one is definitely the best of the three.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Rogerbee. I will keep searching which lights give the best results, while replacing UE with Advanced Ambient Light.

• Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks, Rogerbee. I will keep searching which lights give the best results, while replacing UE with Advanced Ambient Light.

From what I've experienced, both of light have their advantage, AAL win over UE with the flagging system, UE win over AAL with HDRi mapping system.

edited December 1969

Artini said:

From what I've experienced, both of light have their advantage, AAL win over UE with the flagging system, UE win over AAL with HDRi mapping system.
    You're right. Sometimes, I could not get the good results with AAL, as well.

edited November 2013

Another test in Daz Studio 4.6 Pro. Logan for M6 dressed in uniform and multiplied by using instances.
    Still does not know, why the dark marks appear on the ground around each instances.
    Rendering Time: 2 minutes 40 seconds

Logan09pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 449K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2013

Artini said:
    Another test in Daz Studio 4.6 Pro. Logan for M6 dressed in uniform and multiplied by using instances.
    Still does not know, why the dark marks appear on the ground around each instances.

2 minutes for all of them.... HOW!?

I didn't know you could multiply figures like that.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited November 2013

I've not really had chance to compare both, though I think the AAL gives nicer overall results than UE and looks more natural.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

...my feeling as well. I find it is much more versatile than UE with the flagging and falloff adjustments.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

It has been about ten years since I have played with Pov-ray. I'm showing my age. lol I need to relearn the basics.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this scene with the glass only took one minute to render.

photons.jpg
    512 x 384 - 37K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Artini said:

2 minutes for all of them.... HOW!?

I didn't know you could multiply figures like that.

CHEERS!
    Just select some object in the scene and from "Create" menu choose "New Node Instance" to create the instance of the object.
    If you choose "New Node Instances" Daz Studio will create multiple instances of the object. They look all the same,
    but can have different positions.

edited December 1969

Further experiments with instances in Daz Studio 4.6 Pro.
    The scene contained 10 Starhawk ships, 49 M5 dressed up in Galactic Corps Defender clothes and
    F5 dressed up in Time Traveler suit and helmet.
    Rendering Time: 1 minute 18 seconds

M5BaseLDPR05pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 405K
    edited December 1969

And another one. Rendering Time: 1 minute 36 seconds

M5BaseLDPR05pic03.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 340K
    edited December 1969

It has been about ten years since I have played with Pov-ray. I'm showing my age. lol I need to relearn the basics.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this scene with the glass only took one minute to render.

Good lord, Pov-ray, I had that.

From what I can remember, images like that took a lot longer than one minute to render on the hardware we had back in the day. I liked the scene with the bridge and the cigarette in the ashtray.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    And another one. Rendering Time: 1 minute 36 seconds

That's brilliant,

Definitely something to have a play with later. Very handy for battlefield scenes.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks, Rogerbee. Yes, instancing is a nice feature of Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

When I had Poser I used to make the figure invisible inside the gear, I suppose that's something you can do in DS as well?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Could not resist to the Mars Explorers for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    http://www.daz3d.com/mars-explorers-for-genesis-2-male-s

me07pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 212K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2013

I also noticed significantly faster render times using 3DL in some cases but I have even though its not that often had fast Luxrender times

608cafe304a3af6724d2058c02ec087a-d6uy0cn.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 508K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

hhh, I should try making a giant using Genesis. Thanks for the idea Bobvan.

edited November 2013

the render on the right has nicer shadows. Nevermind the poke-through of the evening gown. I have trouble posing long dresses.

For the second render, I used the image based lighting from Andrea. The IBL is faster than the Uber area light.

shadow_comparison.jpg
    766 x 501 - 133K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
This discussion has been closed.