Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I'm the same only scale models and figures are keeping me away from 3D, I've at least 4 maybe 5 projects I want to finish. It could well be after Christmas before I really get going with 3D again. I'll keep stocking up on goodies in the meantime though.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

..used to be into scale models and model railroading.

Did a tonne of kitbashing and custom detailing back then. Three of the best were a 707 in Braniff International colours (Green) with wheels and the flaps extended just touching down on the runway (used a bit of cotton floss for the smoke from the tyres), an American 727 in the old 60's polished metal paint scheme (with the lightning bolt motif under the windows) that I meticulously painted with a very high gloss silver for the fuselage and shiny panels (also included weathering artefacts on the wings/tail surfaces and soot on the tail from the thrust reversers), and a TWA 747 (old 60's scheme again) that I made an interior light rig for as well as landing and anti collision lights and painted out some of the clear windows to make it appear the shades were drawn.

Also had the two plane kit of the Boeing 2707 SST (the swing wing design) that I built and painted in Pan Am colours.

Wanted to show that civil aircraft models could be just as finely detailed as the military ones.

One interesting and humurous model I saw in the local hobby shop display case a while back was an SR-71 painted in FedEx colours. Talk about delivering on time. ;-)

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2013

OT kinda did a test render with the UE light i posted the other only 2 minutes on the beast but yet I keep lux rendering LOL

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

An SR-71 painted in Federal Express colors is funny. Thanks for sharing what you saw.

Artistic nude of Stephanie petite in dream home great room. Positioning furniture by hand is tricky. The lighting is decent. I haven't determined why floor is so dark. I think one of my lights is casing a huge shadow. Hmm.

stephanie_petite_catgirl.jpg
    516 x 610 - 112K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 1969

Its plasticky looking

edited December 1969

Wait until you see the closeup. lol

Yes, I forgot to change the lighting model from plastic from matte. Next, I need to double check the glossy settings. Thanks for reminding me. What would I do without you guys and gals?

stephanie_petite_catgirl_2.jpg
    516 x 610 - 113K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Bought the Ranger a short while ago but I've only recently had the spare time to use her in a render. It's a really nice set, and I hope to use it more often. Here I've used Teen Josie in the role of the hunter as she defends herself.

The_Huntress.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1004K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Did a tonne of kitbashing and custom detailing back then. Three of the best were a 707 in Braniff International colours (Green) with wheels and the flaps extended just touching down on the runway (used a bit of cotton floss for the smoke from the tyres), an American 727 in the old 60's polished metal paint scheme (with the lightning bolt motif under the windows) that I meticulously painted with a very high gloss silver for the fuselage and shiny panels (also included weathering artefacts on the wings/tail surfaces and soot on the tail from the thrust reversers), and a TWA 747 (old 60's scheme again) that I made an interior light rig for as well as landing and anti collision lights and painted out some of the clear windows to make it appear the shades were drawn.

Also had the two plane kit of the Boeing 2707 SST (the swing wing design) that I built and painted in Pan Am colours.

Wanted to show that civil aircraft models could be just as finely detailed as the military ones.

One interesting and humurous model I saw in the local hobby shop display case a while back was an SR-71 painted in FedEx colours. Talk about delivering on time. ;-)

My projects are King Kong, James Bond, Indiana Jones and maybe a Cyclops!

I do fancy turning the Genesis Gorilla into Kong and will add some hair to him with Garibaldi.

Someone did an Indy style character for M3, which I never did pick up, be nice to see a Genesis update of it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Wait until you see the closeup. lol

Yes, I forgot to change the lighting model from plastic from matte. Next, I need to double check the glossy settings. Thanks for reminding me. What would I do without you guys and gals?

She seems to lack detail and yeah, a glossy map here and there on the furniture might not go amiss.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Bought the Ranger a short while ago but I've only recently had the spare time to use her in a render. It's a really nice set, and I hope to use it more often. Here I've used Teen Josie in the role of the hunter as she defends herself.

Great looking render,

Where is the forest from?

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

My projects are King Kong, James Bond, Indiana Jones and maybe a Cyclops!

I do fancy turning the Genesis Gorilla into Kong and will add some hair to him with Garibaldi.

Someone did an Indy style character for M3, which I never did pick up, be nice to see a Genesis update of it.

CHEERS!

Done many of those for sold commission projects

the_giant_perverted_cyclops_1_by_bobvan-d5m75dm.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 74K
    b0195cfb16ddeff001f0a775654fd75c-d4p2too.jpg
    1782 x 950 - 93K
    00f25da989a3a208e5fe810266e198d5-d4oc46i.jpg
    1782 x 950 - 210K
    1_by_bobvan-d5vtyl5.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 123K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Nice,

My Kong is a Dark Horse kit of the1933 version, the James Bond is mostly by Dragon In Dreams (DID) and the Indy is mainly by Sideshow.

Your Kong reminds me of the '76 version.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Its the KK for Genesis & Rawn's cyclops

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited November 2013

I guess the spotlight is too bright in my renders? Someone on DeviantArt mentioned the lack of details in my renders. I could turn down the intensity of the spotlight but then the foreground would be too dark. Or I could delete the spotlight for my outdoor scenes. My computer is to slow for uber environment or uber area light. I guess I could try advance ambient light.

edited for clarity

edited December 1969

...the AAL is a much better choice for overall ambient lighting without having to rig up a bunch of distant and spot lights to simulate Global Illumination (which also can add to the render time). That is the way the old LDP/LDP2 did it. LDP used an array of something like 16 skylights and 16 ambient lights (distant lights) aimed at different angles, which were set to different intensities, along with one primary distant light for the Sun. The Skylights included DSMs which took time to map before the rendering. The "Sun" used Ray Traced shadows.

The AAL takes care of both the ambient and skylight arrays and already has a soft rather than hard shadows like the Skylights used. So basically two lights will do the work of 33. If you want to simulate bounce light, in an area, a third AAL, with a set radius and falloff can be used Even so this will still render fast, particularly if you flag anything that has heavy transmaps (like hair and plants) to render in primitive hitmode. the AALs will also work with the basic Subsurface Shader plugin (free).

I find the Advanced Ambient and Spotlights to be far more adjustable than UE in this respect as with Uberenvironment/Ubersurface, you can only turn raytracing on or off for a particular instance, like hair.

I wish this was available when I was still struggling to create scenes in 32 bit.

The Atmospheric Cameras also don't impact render time unless you use the Volume camera. so there are a lot of ways to get nice in render effects without a lot of postwork even on an older system such as yours.

In the last pic of KK leaping down at the elf gunboy that I posted, I used four AALs, four ASLs, an one UberVolume cone for the streetlight, a Fog Camera with Vignette applied and Jepe's SteamZ plane to get the swirling fog effect. With UE (as I may have mentioned already) it would have taken a minimum of 25 even on my beast. With the AALs/ASLs it took a bit over ten minutes.

edited November 2013

the 2KK vore pics were done with Cloud 9 prior to my lux rendering

Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

...say what?

Hey, I'm ©'d, & ®'d y'know.

edited December 1969

King Kong for Genesis & Ron's Cyclops

edited December 1969

...I know, just having a bit of funnin'. ;-)

edited November 2013

Ha more Krap!!

343.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 72K
    340.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 59K
    334.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 60K
    339.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 55K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited November 2013

arg, i typed a reply but I lost it. Nice render Bobvan.

Thanks for the advice Kyoto Kid. I'm so used to creating my own lights ever since Daz released Studio version 1. I do have advanced spotlights. I need to install it. I'll buy advanced ambient lighting when it goes on sale again or when I have some extra cash.

I follwed someone's advice and hid the ceiling for the dream home living room. I turned down the intensity of the spotlight so that the distant lights are the main lights. The lighting looks decent. Laura looks better than Stephanie Petite on the previous page.

Laura's skin looks odd because her skin is optimized for Poser.

OK, I need to do some chores. bye

edit: I forgot to hide the wall behind or open the doors behind the camera so that more light could illuminate the inside. Opps.

Laura_4.jpg
    516 x 610 - 117K
  • Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited November 2013

Thanks for the advice Kyoto Kid. I'm so used to creating my own lights ever since Daz released Studio version 1. I do have advanced spotlights. I need to install it. I'll buy advanced ambient lighting when it goes on sale again or when I have some extra cash.

I follwed someone's advice and hid the ceiling for the dream home living room. I turned down the intensity of the spotlight so that the distant lights are the main lights. The lighting looks decent. Laura looks better than Stephanie Petite on the previous page.

edit: I forgot to hide the wall behind or open the doors behind the camera so that more light could illuminate the inside. Opps.

Is that a picture attached to the windows ? Which kinda remind me to ask, is there any good back drop to use or any tips for utilizing backdrop so it won't looks so fake and like 2D image being stretched by 8 times ?

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited November 2013

No, it is a 3D landscape and skydome that I downloaded for free. I can't find the download page any more. Sorry.

I use millennium environment for simple scenes.

Flipmode has some easy environments for around $15 USD.
    If you are looking for walls and windows, Blondie 9999 makes Backdrops made easy.

I don't have much experience about using photos as a backdrop. Perhaps some one else could help. Hope this helps

I wonder what HeraldOfFire is using as the landscape too. That is a nice forest.

edited December 1969

No, it is a 3D landscape and skydome that I downloaded for free. I can't find the download page any more. Sorry.

I use millennium environment for simple scenes.

Flipmode has some easy environments for around $15 USD.
    If you are looking for walls and windows, Blondie 9999 makes Backdrops made easy.

I don't have much experience about using photos as a backdrop. Perhaps some one else could help. Hope this helps

I wonder what HeraldOfFire is using as the landscape too. That is a nice forest.

Thank you for the links, I'm more need of city scape backdrop, I've purchased this apartment scene, problem is there is this extra big window

1.JPG
    997 x 557 - 98K
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:

Yeah, I wasn't keen on either of them, Obie's and Harryhausen's are the definitve ones for me. If someone did a Harryhausen Cyclops one could use in DS then I'd be happy.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Thank you for the links, I'm more need of city scape backdrop, I've purchased this apartment scene, problem is there is this extra big window

That looks amazing as is, a busy backdrop might take attention away from whatever was in the room.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

You need lighting that makes things look like they're actually on the floor, Laura and the cat look to be floating above it.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Yes, there is no real contrast between her feet and the floor.

Too bad I lost the old scenes because they have better lighting than my new scenes when the old drive went bad. I didn't have a chance to even export the lights as a set. I'll try to adjust the lights some more in Daz Studio until I can buy some fancy light sets.

Edit: I don't think the old light presets that I made would have helped me much because they were designed for outdoor scenes.

I just thought of something: I should create the same scene in Poser 9 and then use the default lighting. I forgot I had poser. I guess I was too busy playing with Josie 6 in Daz Studio that I forgot about Poser 9. lol

Bye

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

That looks amazing as is, a busy backdrop might take attention away from whatever was in the room.

CHEERS!

Err that is the product promo image, forgot to write that, not my render. I've tried using similar image, but still, it looks fake as it is or worse maybe, wonder if there any cityscape backdrop out there, I can't find it on DAZ shop.

edited December 1969

I couldn't find any city-scapes that you could use as a backdrop either. All I found are big buildings or sci-fi sets. I'll look again after lunch.

This discussion has been closed.