Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    snipped for brevity

Hence a message from me to DAZ developers:

Basic rule for writing Windows application -- DO NOT PERFORM LONG OPERATIONS ON THE GUI THREAD.

Log messages are buffered, not written directly to file

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Always weary of updating asssuming you can't have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed at the same time to compare.  Anyone see any improvement upgrading to 4.12 with the 2080 Ti ?

I see a decent improvement on a 980ti. I no longer use 4.11.

• genrljeff said:

It doesn't work. I never should have updated. Every time I try to render a scene with more than one figure or a simple background Daz crashes. Should have kept 4.11.

You don't have both?  surprise

I had both. I just looked and can't find 4.11. I was trying to see if I could replace 4.12.

• genrljeff said:
    genrljeff said:

It doesn't work. I never should have updated. Every time I try to render a scene with more than one figure or a simple background Daz crashes. Should have kept 4.11.

You don't have both?  surprise

I had both. I just looked and can't find 4.11. I was trying to see if I could replace 4.12.

Sorry, just found them. Doesn't seem to be any way to install just 4.11.

• Gordig said:
    0127 said:

I wonder if DAZ 3D going to improve hairs system so they will look like in abandoned Carrara.

Left - hairs with applied figure's texture. Right - how this texture looks. In Carrara - hairs inherits figure's texture

There are ways to get that look. Here's a test I did with the Daz Jaguar, both with and without the jaguar's base texture, and the settings I used to achieve that.

I'm bad at making new shaders. There is a basic IRAY shader on my hairs

• Paradigm said:

Always weary of updating asssuming you can't have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed at the same time to compare.  Anyone see any improvement upgrading to 4.12 with the 2080 Ti ?

4.12 has enabled the RT cores (sepcifically I think for the denoiser) and sped of render kickoff times.

I have no benchmarks to provide but I do have a 2080TI and have faster convergance to an acceptable quality in 4.12 with the post denoiser enabled.

An interior scene lit with an HDRI from outside with two G8 characters wearing standard dforce street clothes (no refactive / shiny gear or anything rendered at 4k takes about 10 - 15 min (depending on the amount of glass in the scene) to get to a decent quality at 4k. Resizing the image to 1080p in post makes it look even sharper.

AI denoiser is sped up By using the Tensor Cores which both Volta and Turing have built on the die. In theory, RT cores should help with Scene Lighting as they would take over most of if not all the Ray tracing in the render. It will be nice when/, if I can use more then one RTX card to speed things up also pooling memory with NVLink, will be a huge help but have herd Nvidia may have locked that out on non-Quadro cards 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Ivy said:

Okay some stuff I have learned  for you to try to see if my steps can be replicated, and it works as well as these steps have worked  for me.

Description for use:  you need a prop that will  interacts with a characters hand , foot or head some part of  the character your using. etc. As to simulate that you had parented a prop to a hand so will move or not move according to how you keyframe your prop and keyframe the ik chain 
     Example : I have a bird , it stole a watch  and flew off with it in one single animated scene and the bird flew in grasp the watch and the flew off with watch in hand  . How can this be done in daz studio using the ik-chain you might ask?

Steps to take

1) Create your animated scene completely as you want to set up the ik-chains as the last thing before rendering and save it as a scene1-bak-up. Do this so if you need to go back and editing things later or in case you need to clear your animation your working on you will have your scene saved as a back up, trust me this is to save you from frustration when learning IK-chain solutions. so back up your scene before implementing anything

2 create a ik chain for the foot of the bird that is going to be grasping the watch-prop in flight ( Do this by going to create tab. scroll down until you see create "IK-chain"  and name it what you like in the pop up box and click accept( I'll leave mine the default names),  you should find the create IK-chain last on the drop down list.

3. See screen shot 1  for this step.   Now click your right or left foot of the bird ( I'll use the left for my demo) and parent the ik-chain to the L-foot bone under the scene tab.  you will notice the ik-chain will now move under the foot bone in the scene tab and on the timeline you'll find your ik-chain there as well for editing the translations/rotations etc.

4 See screen shot 1 for this step.  Now its time we fix the watch-prop so it will move with the foot during the grasp in the flight cycle when needed . so we want to parent the watch-prop to the IK-chain under the left foot, and move or location the watch-prop in the proper position to the left foot .  DO-NOT PARENT-WATCH to the foot bone of the left foo only parent to the ik-chain,  once you have completed this step the watch can now be found or locate under L-foot-IK-chain on the timeline ( Normally we would parent the watch to the left foot bone . but because there is going to be a action used for grasping the watch and taking off with the bird in flight we parent the watch to the ikchain instead) Make sure to set the ik-root to the birds left foot bone as well found by clicking the ik-chain both the scene tab and timeline

5) See screenshot 5 for this step.  now you have your scene set up.  what you want is the birds foot grasping the watch-prop that its going interact  to fly away with the bird.  So how we do that is as the bird passes by the watch , take notice of your scrubber on the timeline on this frames location, create a keyframe by click the little key things on the bottom of the daz timeline This is the spot you need the action to happen. In this case the bird grasping the watch-prop  as he flys by, So you create keyframe & go to the Inverse Kinematics under the parameters settings, click Inverse Kinematerics  and turn on pins for both translations and rotations . this actions sets the keyframe to pin the ik-chian that holds the watch to the birds foot. this would be like parenting the watch-prop to the bird  foot. Now the watch should move with the bird during the rest of the animation cycle in the scene.

6)See screenshot 6  for this step. when you need the bird to drop the watch somewhere during the flight cycle simply scroll to the position on timeline you need the action to happen and create a keyframe for the ik-cchain on the timeline and  this time click the pins off  and as the birds continues to flies off.  the watch will remain in the stationary position where the bird left it . You will need to further edit the watch dropping effect along the timeline but you will not require scene cuts into order to do it .

7) See screenshot 7 for this step. ) when you are happy with the results its time to save this scene set up.   first we need to bake the keyframes to the timelime. and because the daz native timeline does not offers a bake solution for the keyframes  you will need to use the license version of the animate2 plugin  so open your animate2 timeline and you will see all the keyframes you have created there when ou made your animation cycle .  now on top of the animate2 timeline right click and select "bake studio keyframes" that will bake or lock the keyframes to the timeline permanently.  This Step bakes all the keyframes for the complete timeline  This includes the ik chains you created that will bake into the timeline as well,( so take heed if you need keyframes that are not bakes this why i have you make a back up) once done baking you can now save this as ready-to-render scene or as animated preset with the props.  (Please note that the IK-chains will NOT save with aniblocks, so if you try to create & bake a aniblock from studio keyframes the ik-chain will not be included )

That is it , your done.

Conclusion . This is what I feel the ik-chain solution system i are meant for.  interaction between props, characters or other props in a continuous animation cycle . Ik-chains solutions such as this are very helpful in customizing problematic animated scene,. this interaction with the characters,  timeline and the props in this manner allows you make and long running continuous scenes without having to do alot of cut scenes or fancy creative film editing to achieve the similar results.

Please play with this solution and let me know how it works out for you . I assure you these steps I taught here do work if you do them right.

I would like to make a request for the Daz guys I know you are reading this., can you please make a bake to studio keyframes options for the daz native timeline so we do not need to use animate2 to bake keyframes..

Thank you for reading my brief IK-chain demo, there will be more to come . As I figure it out

Ps I am very dislexic so I have edited this for spelling & try to make less confusing.

I have a question please.

I created a new IK chain IK-lToe-1 for Toon Rabbit's left toe. I parented it to the Toon Rabbit's lToe.  Under parameters is a Chain Root of lShin and a Chain End of lToe. That makes sense but seems very limiting to me.

If I create an IK chain for the toe the chain root will be the shin, the foot the thigh, the shin the thigh, the thigh the thigh. Is the 'hip' bone being excluded as chain root by IK for some reason? It seams like the IK chain only goes 2 bones back to a chain root instead of the the hip bone as a chain root? I guess I'm not understanding the proper way to make the entire rig IK capable?

I want an entire IK chain with the hip ultimately to Chain Root and the IK chain for the each chain end  working backwards - eg, for each arm: fingers - hands - arms - shoulders - spine - pelvis reaching eventually to the hip, likewise for the legs, likewise for the head.

How do I do that?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited August 2019
    Ivy said:

Okay some stuff I have learned  for you to try to see if my steps can be replicated, and it works as well as these steps have worked  for me.

Description for use:  you need a prop that will  interacts with a characters hand , foot or head some part of  the character your using. etc. As to simulate that you had parented a prop to a hand so will move or not move according to how you keyframe your prop and keyframe the ik chain 
     Example : I have a bird , it stole a watch  and flew off with it in one single animated scene and the bird flew in grasp the watch and the flew off with watch in hand  . How can this be done in daz studio using the ik-chain you might ask?

Steps to take

1) Create your animated scene completely as you want to set up the ik-chains as the last thing before rendering and save it as a scene1-bak-up. Do this so if you need to go back and editing things later or in case you need to clear your animation your working on you will have your scene saved as a back up, trust me this is to save you from frustration when learning IK-chain solutions. so back up your scene before implementing anything

2 create a ik chain for the foot of the bird that is going to be grasping the watch-prop in flight ( Do this by going to create tab. scroll down until you see create "IK-chain"  and name it what you like in the pop up box and click accept( I'll leave mine the default names),  you should find the create IK-chain last on the drop down list.

3. See screen shot 1  for this step.   Now click your right or left foot of the bird ( I'll use the left for my demo) and parent the ik-chain to the L-foot bone under the scene tab.  you will notice the ik-chain will now move under the foot bone in the scene tab and on the timeline you'll find your ik-chain there as well for editing the translations/rotations etc.

4 See screen shot 1 for this step.  Now its time we fix the watch-prop so it will move with the foot during the grasp in the flight cycle when needed . so we want to parent the watch-prop to the IK-chain under the left foot, and move or location the watch-prop in the proper position to the left foot .  DO-NOT PARENT-WATCH to the foot bone of the left foo only parent to the ik-chain,  once you have completed this step the watch can now be found or locate under L-foot-IK-chain on the timeline ( Normally we would parent the watch to the left foot bone . but because there is going to be a action used for grasping the watch and taking off with the bird in flight we parent the watch to the ikchain instead) Make sure to set the ik-root to the birds left foot bone as well found by clicking the ik-chain both the scene tab and timeline

5) See screenshot 5 for this step.  now you have your scene set up.  what you want is the birds foot grasping the watch-prop that its going interact  to fly away with the bird.  So how we do that is as the bird passes by the watch , take notice of your scrubber on the timeline on this frames location, create a keyframe by click the little key things on the bottom of the daz timeline This is the spot you need the action to happen. In this case the bird grasping the watch-prop  as he flys by, So you create keyframe & go to the Inverse Kinematics under the parameters settings, click Inverse Kinematerics  and turn on pins for both translations and rotations . this actions sets the keyframe to pin the ik-chian that holds the watch to the birds foot. this would be like parenting the watch-prop to the bird  foot. Now the watch should move with the bird during the rest of the animation cycle in the scene.

6)See screenshot 6  for this step. when you need the bird to drop the watch somewhere during the flight cycle simply scroll to the position on timeline you need the action to happen and create a keyframe for the ik-cchain on the timeline and  this time click the pins off  and as the birds continues to flies off.  the watch will remain in the stationary position where the bird left it . You will need to further edit the watch dropping effect along the timeline but you will not require scene cuts into order to do it .

7) See screenshot 7 for this step. ) when you are happy with the results its time to save this scene set up.   first we need to bake the keyframes to the timelime. and because the daz native timeline does not offers a bake solution for the keyframes  you will need to use the license version of the animate2 plugin  so open your animate2 timeline and you will see all the keyframes you have created there when ou made your animation cycle .  now on top of the animate2 timeline right click and select "bake studio keyframes" that will bake or lock the keyframes to the timeline permanently.  This Step bakes all the keyframes for the complete timeline  This includes the ik chains you created that will bake into the timeline as well,( so take heed if you need keyframes that are not bakes this why i have you make a back up) once done baking you can now save this as ready-to-render scene or as animated preset with the props.  (Please note that the IK-chains will NOT save with aniblocks, so if you try to create & bake a aniblock from studio keyframes the ik-chain will not be included )

That is it , your done.

Conclusion . This is what I feel the ik-chain solution system i are meant for.  interaction between props, characters or other props in a continuous animation cycle . Ik-chains solutions such as this are very helpful in customizing problematic animated scene,. this interaction with the characters,  timeline and the props in this manner allows you make and long running continuous scenes without having to do alot of cut scenes or fancy creative film editing to achieve the similar results.

Please play with this solution and let me know how it works out for you . I assure you these steps I taught here do work if you do them right.

I would like to make a request for the Daz guys I know you are reading this., can you please make a bake to studio keyframes options for the daz native timeline so we do not need to use animate2 to bake keyframes..

Thank you for reading my brief IK-chain demo, there will be more to come . As I figure it out

Ps I am very dislexic so I have edited this for spelling & try to make less confusing.

I created a new IK chain IK-lToe-1 for Toon Rabbit's left toe. I parented it to the Toon Rabbit's lToe.  Under parameters is a Chain Root of lShin and a Chain End of lToe. That makes sense but seems very limiting to me.

If I create an IK chain for the toe the chain root will be the shin, the foot the thigh, the shin the thigh, the thigh the thigh. Is the 'hip' bone being excluded as chain root by IK for some reason? It seams like the IK chain only goes 2 bones back to a chain root instead of the the hip bone as a chain root? I guess I'm not understanding the proper way to make the entire rig IK capable?

I want an entire IK chain with the hip ultimately to Chain Root and the IK chain for the each chain end  working backwards - eg, for each arm: fingers - hands - arms - shoulders - spine - pelvis reaching eventually to the hip, likewise for the legs, likewise for the head.

How do I do that?

Direct from Rob:

The algorithm that sets the Chain Root when an IK Chain node is created uses ~3 as the target number of nodes from the Chain End to ascend. It is "~3" (about 3) and not "3" (hard 3) because 1) there may not be 3 nodes in the hierarchy to ascend, and 2) there are certain node hierarchy configurations that cause undesirable results and the algorithm intentionally avoids them. The Twist/Bend bone configuration found in the Genesis 3/8 figures are one such case; when this specific configuration is encountered, the 2 adjacent bones are considered 1. Another case is nodes with multiple children, wherein the algorithm will stop short to avoid making said acendent the Chain Root; because not doing so causes the non participating children of that acendent to move (via FK) with that acendent. For similar reasons, the algorithm will also avoid setting the immediate children of the Context Node ("context node" being the skeleton node of a figure, or the Group Node parent of a prop hierarchy), otherwise known as a Root Node of the IK system for that object, as the Chain Root. That all being said, you can easily change the length of a given IK Chain by simply clicking the Chain Root property and choosing another node in the hierarchy. Another point to consider, however, when establishing IK Chains, is that there is another part to an IK system... which are the pull nodes. Pull nodes are the nodes between the Chain Root and a Root Node that only get involved in the solve when the nodes in the chain (and the constraints imposed by their respective limits - if enabled) cannot achieve the target position of the IK Chain node (aka the "goal"). In cases like this, nodes further along the chain are sequentially integrated in an attempt to reach the target.

But do note that the IK system is still being worked on.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    Ivy said:

Steps to take

That is it , your done.

How do I do that?

Direct from Rob:

The algorithm that sets the Chain Root when an IK Chain node is created uses ~3 as the target number of nodes from the Chain End to ascend. It is "~3" (about 3) and not "3" (hard 3) because 1) there may not be 3 nodes in the hierarchy to ascend, and 2) there are certain node hierarchy configurations that cause undesirable results and the algorithm intentionally avoids them. The Twist/Bend bone configuration found in the Genesis 3/8 figures are one such case; when this specific configuration is encountered, the 2 adjacent bones are considered 1. Another case is nodes with multiple children, wherein the algorithm will stop short to avoid making said acendent the Chain Root; because not doing so causes the non participating children of that acendent to move (via FK) with that acendent. For similar reasons, the algorithm will also avoid setting the immediate children of the Context Node ("context node" being the skeleton node of a figure, or the Group Node parent of a prop hierarchy), otherwise known as a Root Node of the IK system for that object, as the Chain Root. That all being said, you can easily change the length of a given IK Chain by simply clicking the Chain Root property and choosing another node in the hierarchy. Another point to consider, however, when establishing IK Chains, is that there is another part to an IK system... which are the pull nodes. Pull nodes are the nodes between the Chain Root and a Root Node that only get involved in the solve when the nodes in the chain (and the constraints imposed by their respective limits - if enabled) cannot achieve the target position of the IK Chain node (aka the "goal"). In cases like this, nodes further along the chain are sequentially integrated in an attempt to reach the target.

But do note that the IK system is still being worked on.

OK, thanks.

So it sounds as if I only need to add the IK chain to the target nodes of the rig and not add an IK chain for every bone in a rig. Also that I can change the Chain Root from, eg shin or thigh to the hip although Rob says that may make problems, especially on Genesis 3/8.

Not such if it's advanced enough yet to add IK chains to each finger & each toe in Genesis 3/8, Maybe I set the chain root to the knuckle phalange & then add another IK chain starting at the hand.

I will have to play with them & see. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited August 2019

@nonesuch00  I don't have that rabbit to try to duplicate your issues. other wise I'd give it a go.  maybe you could try parenting the ik-chain to the pelvis instead of the hip?

And as a friendly reminder you don't have to create a IK-chain for every bone, in the Daz characters skeleton,  That is because daz characters are already rigged & have a native ik/fk in them.  So you only need  the extra ik-chains you create for interaction.  example would be for something like riding a bicycle where you would parent 1 IK-chain to the pelvis & 1 chain for foot so you can parent 1 chain to pelvis to pin to the bike seat & the other ik chain for pinning the peddles for the foot. so as you moved the peddles during the animation cycle along the timeline the skeleton of the foot-shin-thigh-hip will follow the natural motion.   something like that would be the only reason I could think of for needing a foot to pelvis IK-chain group solution, 

I maybe off base here.  But my understanding is the daz Ik-chain is more or less for interaction with the timeline as helper. create IK-chains for interaction with props and figures. like feet being firmly planted to the ground ,  in Daz my guess is so you can pin and un pin them on the timeline as to cause an effect with the creature figure ,character or rigged prop..

So in that case I would start with parenting 1 ik-chain at a time to the bone(s) that are being used for interactions, from what I understand by trying things out when you create the daz IK-chain , it has a few links for each chain thats created. as Richard had posted, so if you create a chain for the foot it will have a link for the foot that you parent  & one link for the floor that could be used for pinning or unpinning that you can use for interaction to pin or unpin as necessary along the timeline . I know it sounds confusing, but look at it as a way to make things stick or unstick together , where before you had to do cut scenes to create the same effects on the timline.

If your trying use the ik-chian to offset hip rotation to fix foot slipping. I have not had much luck trying to use it for those fixes in daz studio,  the only way Ive been able to fix those issues is to use the joint editor and move the hip Y translation to the floor level   Then you can to parent the IK-chain- to the foot and pin it to the surface ,  But you'll still have to set the values for each keyframe for the ik-chain to simluate following the hard surface.   Daz Studio does not have a 1 click  hard surface pining/follower solution yet. ( But I am hopeful) this is all still new.

I move the hip rotation with the joint editor to the floor level to offset the foot slip that is created using BVH & older generation aniblocks and sometimes  pose to pose animation cycles will give you funky feet movement .you fix those translation/rotations  with the joint editors tool.  my guess is the ik-chain really has nothing to do with fixing those issues.

I am not sure if this is a bug or maybe I am doing the set up the wrong way.  but I can't make changes to the ik-chain with the joint editor active,  like I can with Maya's joint editor tool. I have tried it a few times playing around . but I can not get the IK-chain  to parent or interact with the joint rotations points with the joint editor active so there is no way for the IK-chain to work timeline when trying to do keyframing with the joint editor active. even with the ik-chain clicked on the timeline & the joint editor is active at the same time. still get buttkiss,  with Maya you can use the joint editor tool to cause effect to the IK/fk chain .  but in daz it does not seem to work with the joint editor active,  makes it so I can not edit the ik-chain with the joint editor..so maybe that is a problem that maybe needs to be fix or addressed. editing The Ik-chain with the joint editor would be helpful in moving those pivot rotastion.translation points .

But again as Richard State the Daz Ik-chain is still in beta. so maybe that will be worked out eventually as daz keeps working on development of 4.12

I am still trying to learn this stuff myself so alot of it been trial and error . try this step and try that step to see what works and what don't.  There is not any reference guide on how this stuff is suppose to work in daz studio. so I am going but what wiki and Maya's documents https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/MayaLT-CharacterAnimation/files/GUID-952FC4B3-19A6-4055-B034-3A7D15EC66D6-htm.html say on IK/FK that is all I have to go on until daz releases information on it..  Also on Wiki  the extra References & the foot notes are very useful knowledge base  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_kinematics

edited for links and really bad spelling

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2019

I have a serious question for the daz developers,

Will there be away or is there one already where we can use MS excel databases or spreadsheets to manipulate animation on timeline dopesheet?  I see where 3dsmax and maya have those options,  Its not that I am comparing the software, its just because I have to tell you if we have that option in daz that be killa for repetitive motions like playing a piano or finger picking a guitar. stormy waves on a sea, vfx ect.

Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:

@nonesuch00  I don't have that rabbit to try to duplicate your issues. other wise I'd give it a go.  maybe you could try parenting the ik-chain to the pelvis instead of the hip?

And as a friendly reminder you don't have to create a IK-chain for every bone, in the Daz characters skeleton,  That is because daz characters are already rigged & have a native ik/fk in them.  So you only need  the extra ik-chains you create for interaction.  example would be for something like riding a bicycle where you would parent 1 IK-chain to the pelvis & 1 chain for foot so you can parent 1 chain to pelvis to pin to the bike seat & the other ik chain for pinning the peddles for the foot. so as you moved the peddles during the animation cycle along the timeline the skeleton of the foot-shin-thigh-hip will follow the natural motion.   something like that would be the only reason I could think of for needing a foot to pelvis IK-chain group solution, 

I maybe off base here.  But my understanding is the daz Ik-chain is more or less for interaction with the timeline as helper. create IK-chains for interaction with props and figures. like feet being firmly planted to the ground ,  in Daz my guess is so you can pin and un pin them on the timeline as to cause an effect with the creature figure ,character or rigged prop..

So in that case I would start with parenting 1 ik-chain at a time to the bone(s) that are being used for interactions, from what I understand by trying things out when you create the daz IK-chain , it has a few links for each chain thats created. as Richard had posted, so if you create a chain for the foot it will have a link for the foot that you parent  & one link for the floor that could be used for pinning or unpinning that you can use for interaction to pin or unpin as necessary along the timeline . I know it sounds confusing, but look at it as a way to make things stick or unstick together , where before you had to do cut scenes to create the same effects on the timline.

If your trying use the ik-chian to offset hip rotation to fix foot slipping. I have not had much luck trying to use it for those fixes in daz studio,  the only way Ive been able to fix those issues is to use the joint editor and move the hip Y translation to the floor level   Then you can to parent the IK-chain- to the foot and pin it to the surface ,  But you'll still have to set the values for each keyframe for the ik-chain to simluate following the hard surface.   Daz Studio does not have a 1 click  hard surface pining/follower solution yet. ( But I am hopeful) this is all still new.

I move the hip rotation with the joint editor to the floor level to offset the foot slip that is created using BVH & older generation aniblocks and sometimes  pose to pose animation cycles will give you funky feet movement .you fix those translation/rotations  with the joint editors tool.  my guess is the ik-chain really has nothing to do with fixing those issues.

I am not sure if this is a bug or maybe I am doing the set up the wrong way.  but I can't make changes to the ik-chain with the joint editor active,  like I can with Maya's joint editor tool. I have tried it a few times playing around . but I can not get the IK-chain  to parent or interact with the joint rotations points with the joint editor active so there is no way for the IK-chain to work timeline when trying to do keyframing with the joint editor active. even with the ik-chain clicked on the timeline & the joint editor is active at the same time. still get buttkiss,  with Maya you can use the joint editor tool to cause effect to the IK/fk chain .  but in daz it does not seem to work with the joint editor active,  makes it so I can not edit the ik-chain with the joint editor..so maybe that is a problem that maybe needs to be fix or addressed. editing The Ik-chain with the joint editor would be helpful in moving those pivot rotastion.translation points .

But again as Richard State the Daz Ik-chain is still in beta. so maybe that will be worked out eventually as daz keeps working on development of 4.12

I am still trying to learn this stuff myself so alot of it been trial and error . try this step and try that step to see what works and what don't.  There is not any reference guide on how this stuff is suppose to work in daz studio. so I am going but what wiki and Maya's documents https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya-lt/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/ENU/MayaLT-CharacterAnimation/files/GUID-952FC4B3-19A6-4055-B034-3A7D15EC66D6-htm.html say on IK/FK that is all I have to go on until daz releases information on it..  Also on Wiki  the extra References & the foot notes are very useful knowledge base  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_kinematics

OK, I didn't realize the already included rigs where both FK/IK as there were always complaints about no IK so I thought they were IK only. 

Your explanation makes sense for these new IK Chains being used to stick the the floor, hold objects in the hand, and so on.

My question now is easy I think: these built in rigs in G8 for example, since that already has FK/IK how do I use the IK to pose/animate instead of the FK to pose/animate? Only via "Tools - ActivePose" (Alt-Shift-P) and manipulation of poses via manipulation of bones in the rig directly in the Viewport; is that correct? 

Thanks.

• Did they fix the joint editor?  Whenever I brought in a vehicle wheel and positioned it to where I needed, I could never change the center of rotation because the wheel would move all over the place.  The joint editor would only work before moving the wheel.   It doesn't do that anymore in 4.12.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734

The Beta will not install, period, on my late 2012 iMac, running High Sierra 10.13.6. (Sigh) Any ideas why DIM does nothing but put a "placeholder.txt" file into My Daz 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D?

(Better still, any ideas why nothing ever seems to work the way it says it will? NM. JK. Sort of ...)

• OMG! A curve editor!!! You read my note to Santa! Damn, now I will have to be good all year!

curve.jpg
    1652 x 1440 - 243K
    edited August 2019
    Ivy said:

OK, I didn't realize the already included rigs where both FK/IK as there were always complaints about no IK so I thought they were IK only. 

Your explanation makes sense for these new IK Chains being used to stick the the floor, hold objects in the hand, and so on.

My question now is easy I think: these built in rigs in G8 for example, since that already has FK/IK how do I use the IK to pose/animate instead of the FK to pose/animate? Only via "Tools - ActivePose" (Alt-Shift-P) and manipulation of poses via manipulation of bones in the rig directly in the Viewport; is that correct? 

Thanks.

Hi nonesuch00 to see the daz rigging , when you turn on the joint editor ( go to tools tab and scroll down until you see joint editor), you can see all the bones linked in a chain to create the rigging for the character .when you look on the daz timeline and you click a part of the body of the character like the hand, you notice there are properties for rotations/translation editing on the daz timeline those properties are how you can effect the movements of built-in rigging or IK that comes with the daz characters so they can be edited on the timeline  that is what I refer to as the built in or pre rigged ik/fk,  So  you can move all those bones linked in a chain  when the active pose tool is activated and you pull on a hand the rest of the arm will follow the motions of that hand being pulled . when the new IK-chains is introduced & is add to that hand it adds a new chain for interaction.. example so if you had a characters swinging a baseball bat and want to have both hands connected to the bat at the same time to follow the motion of the swing. or you wanted to have 2 hands of a characters parented to a steering wheel of a car so both hands move at the same time.  you would create a ik-chain for each hand and parent the ik-chains to the hands then you would pin or un pin that bats from the ik-chains on the hand as to cause some effect of motion. so when you moved just 1 hand the  other hand parented to the same prop using a separate ik-chain. should follow the natural motion of the first hand your moving

But you can pose the daz character without adding any new ik-chains,  So when heard us talking about daz needing a better ik solutions in past forums we were always talking about lack of this interaction with the characters rigging and being able to manipulate the cause and effect with other props of surfaces. and why animators wanted a improved ik solution for daz studio so we could make both hands or feet have interaction besides just posing them to create motion.

To create an effect of animation motion on the daz timeline . start by locating a spot on the timeline and create a keyframe for what ever part of the character is going to move . then scroll your scrubber down the timeline track and create a new keyframe and now pull the hand of your character on this point on the timeline . so as when you move your scrubber back and forth  you will notice how the hand will move according to how you had it positioned , pretty easy :)

Capture.JPG
    1918 x 1051 - 243K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,508
    mavante said:

The Beta will not install, period, on my late 2012 iMac, running High Sierra 10.13.6. (Sigh) Any ideas why DIM does nothing but put a "placeholder.txt" file into My Daz 3D Library/data/DAZ 3D?

(Better still, any ideas why nothing ever seems to work the way it says it will? NM. JK. Sort of ...)

That's weird, I run it on my 2012 Mac Pro with 10.13.6, installed with DIM.
    Only thing I can think of is that I had the previous betas installed and DIM installs DS betas to /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio 4 64-bit Public Build and if that directory for some reson has been "locked" you might fail.

edited August 2019
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:

Thanks.

Hi nonesuch00 to see the daz rigging , when you turn on the joint editor ( go to tools tab and scroll down until you see joint editor), you can see all the bones linked in a chain to create the rigging for the character .when you look on the daz timeline and you click a part of the body of the character like the hand, you notice there are properties for rotations/translation editing on the daz timeline those properties are how you can effect the movements of built-in rigging or IK that comes with the daz characters so they can be edited on the timeline  that is what I refer to as the built in or pre rigged ik/fk,  So  you can move all those bones linked in a chain  when the active pose tool is activated and you pull on a hand the rest of the arm will follow the motions of that hand being pulled . when the new IK-chains is introduced & is add to that hand it adds a new chain for interaction.. example so if you had a characters swinging a baseball bat and want to have both hands connected to the bat at the same time to follow the motion of the swing. or you wanted to have 2 hands of a characters parented to a steering wheel of a car so both hands move at the same time.  you would create a ik-chain for each hand and parent the ik-chains to the hands then you would pin or un pin that bats from the ik-chains on the hand as to cause some effect of motion. so when you moved just 1 hand the  other hand parented to the same prop using a separate ik-chain. should follow the natural motion of the first hand your moving

But you can pose the daz character without adding any new ik-chains,  So when heard us talking about daz needing a better ik solutions in past forums we were always talking about lack of this interaction with the characters rigging and being able to manipulate the cause and effect with other props of surfaces. and why animators wanted a improved ik solution for daz studio so we could make both hands or feet have interaction besides just posing them to create motion.

To create an effect of animation motion on the daz timeline . start by locating a spot on the timeline and create a keyframe for what ever part of the character is going to move . then scroll your scrubber down the timeline track and create a new keyframe and now pull the hand of your character on this point on the timeline . so as when you move your scrubber back and forth  you will notice how the hand will move according to how you had it positioned , pretty easy :)

OK, thanks very much.

I've got it: 

a) When I pose using pose sliders, pose presets, or individual pose sliders or typing in a number for a joint then I am FK posing. I this case only the selected bone and child bones of the selected bone are moved. So the selected bone is the Chain Root and the child bones are the chain ends (well the ones in between would be considered just part of the chain),

b) When I pose using ActivePose in the viewport by using a I/O device like a mouse to pull/push/twist the selected bone then the selected bone is moved and moves both the child bones and the parent bones according to some IK solver algorithm backwards and forwards and on IK chain. This is in contrast to only moving the selected bone and it's children in an FK chain.

c) These new IK improvements being talking about is the improvement to the IK solver that allow movement of the IK solver to halt on contact and remain in parallel with a mesh, like a floor, hat, umbrella, or ribs to give the effect of supporting, carrying, and so on.

Now that it's clear to me, in my attempts to copy the movements of an old Looney Tunes video I don't think an IK solver is that much more helpful than FK if I'm similar enough in my FK movements that I type in. IK might even be a hindrance for the initial accuracy matching to the video but helpful for fine tuning mistakes or making for more natural movement than the FK movements I type in based on movements the original animations had (which on review and in hindsight are pretty sparse and stiff in movement and aren't always translating well to 3D animation) when the original attempt to copy with FK is done. So I can think that FK animation can be used to stiffly 'storyboard' an animation but I will probably need to use IK animation when it comes down to it to make the animation more fluid and natural looking. Sorry for asking about explanations about all these technical tools, but with this much work I want to have an approach that is going to work when I try it (with practice & repetition certainly but work finally nonetheless).

Thanks again.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • mavantemavante Posts: 734
    Totte said:
    mavante said:

That's weird, I run it on my 2012 Mac Pro with 10.13.6, installed with DIM.

Hey, Totte. Thanks for your reply. After I posted, I carefully went back through every step I had done before—and it magically resolved. I don't know; maybe I held my mouth just right that time or something. :) In any case, it installed and today is my day for a smoke-test of if.

• nlbsnlbs Posts: 12
    edited August 2019

Why is nobody talking about how broken Dual Lobe Specular is? It was broken with the release of Daz 4.11, and now with another iterration of 4.12 Beta it's still not fixed.

This is what I'm talking about:

Ratio 1 vs Ratio 0

Ratio 1.PNG
    1108 x 863 - 1M
    Ratio 0.PNG
    1106 x 856 - 1M
    Post edited by nlbs on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    nlbs said:

Why is nobody talking about how broken Dual Lobe Specular is?

in your example you have both layers to 30% so the ratio is useless ..

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    edited August 2019

Some Daz Store products with dForce Dynamic Surface Addons cause DS 4.12.0.60 to crash during simulation. I tried both shirts and the shorts in the new dForce Poolside Oahu Outfit and the shirt in the older dForce House Brownie Outfit. I submitted a help request about the Poolside Oahu Outfit before I realized that this is a more widespread problem than just that outfit. Edit: The new Caballero outfit crashes DS the same way.

Request 306308 has a scene file, a crash log and steps to reproduce the problem.

Post edited by barbult on
  • nlbsnlbs Posts: 12
    edited August 2019
    Padone said:
    nlbs said:

Why is nobody talking about how broken Dual Lobe Specular is?

in your example you have both layers to 30% so the ratio is useless ..

No, it's not. That's not how it works. 1 Ratio means only Lobe 1 will be used that has 0.30 Roughness. When Ratio is 0, only Lobe 2 will be used with 0.30 Roughness. So in my example the effects should be identical, but they are not.

Please, next time, do not comment with such certainty on something you are not familiar with.

Post edited by nlbs on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    nlbs said:

Please, next time, do not comment with such certainty on something you are not familiar with.

Now that I expand the pictures I see what you mean .. Personally I agree they should be the same, or at least this is how I do it in blender.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Whoa, did you fix parameter favorites getting saved with scene files? Timeline also looks great, this is an excellent update.

I hope so.  

• marble said:
    marble said:

This might have always been the case but I have noticed that I have a DAZStudio_Beta folder and also a DAZStudio4 Public Build folder in my Program Files/DAZ 3D/. Are they both necessary for this 4.12 Beta?

I don't have that & I've installed ever public beta since 4.9+. I have 'DAZStudio4' & 'DAZStudio4 Public Build'. I also have an associated  'PostgreSQL CMS'. For Hexagon I have 'Hexagon2' and 'Hexagon2 Public Build'. For DIM it is 'DAZ3DDIM1'.

Looking at the content of the DAZStudio_Beta folders, it seems to cater for extra plugins - Measure Metrics, for example.

I have 'Measure Metrics' though. Maybe you have HeadShop or another plugin though that has erroneously created an incorrectly DAZ Studio Public Beta install location. There are maybe a few, HeadShop, AweRenderer 3DL, FluidOS and few other plugins that I don't have. I'm not even sure if AweRenderer or FluidOS are packaged as plugins though since I don't own them.

HeadShop never works with beta Studio (different naming conventions).

• galiengalien Posts: 136
    barbult said:

Some Daz Store products with dForce Dynamic Surface Addons cause DS 4.12.0.60 to crash during simulation. I tried both shirts and the shorts in the new dForce Poolside Oahu Outfit and the shirt in the older dForce House Brownie Outfit. I submitted a help request about the Poolside Oahu Outfit before I realized that this is a more widespread problem than just that outfit. Edit: The new Caballero outfit crashes DS the same way.

Request 306308 has a scene file, a crash log and steps to reproduce the problem.

Yes, crashes for me too (using the dForce House Brownie Outfit shirt), but I've reverted to DS 4.12.0.47 and it also crashes with this version.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2019
    barbult said:

@barbult, Praxis reported the same issue with the bra in KA's dForce Laundry product. I verified it and reported, Request #305676. That was with the .47 beta. I didn't know what other products to test. You can see what I did test here.

I've just fired up The Beast, and I haven't updated my beta yet, so I'll see if the House Brownie and the Caballero outfits also crash .47. If they do, I'll be updating my TS Request with the new info. If not…

Either way, I'll post my test results in here.

ETA: Forum site is acting up. I refreshed the page before writing my post, and galien's post wasnt' there. Seeing CloudFlare error pages, too. Though not consistently. I'll still test and verify I'm having the same issue as you and galien.

ETA2: Verified. The two outfits @barbult mentions that I have both crash .47 beta when attempting to simulate. Off to update my trouble ticket.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

@barbult, Praxis reported the same issue with the bra in KA's dForce Laundry product. I verified it and reported, Request #305676. That was with the .47 beta. I didn't know what other products to test. You can see what I did test here.

I've just fired up The Beast, and I haven't updated my beta yet, so I'll see if the House Brownie and the Caballero outfits also crash .47. If they do, I'll be updating my TS Request with the new info. If not…

Either way, I'll post my test results in here.

ETA: Forum site is acting up. I refreshed the page before writing my post, and galien's post wasnt' there. Seeing CloudFlare error pages, too. Though not consistently. I'll still test and verify I'm having the same issue as you and galien.

ETA2: Verified. The two outfits @barbult mentions that I have both crash .47 beta when attempting to simulate. Off to update my trouble ticket.

Aha! I didn't own the items being discussed, so I didn't pay close enough attention at the time. Thanks. I guess Daz has multiple tickets on this dForce Dynamic Surface Addon problem  now. With the release of two new products that trigger the problem, I think more people are going to be having beta crashes.

• L'Adair said:

this might be dumb of me but can someone tell me how to download and install daz studio 4.12.0.42!

@hamadahmad751, It's always a mystery for users who want to get started with the Beta, so no, not a dumb question.

Here's the answer, complete for any who might be searching the forums for the same answer:

1. Like all products at Daz, free or not, you have to purchase the Beta. Just put it in the cart and checkout. That puts the product in your Account and makes it available to install.
    2. The beta requires you use the Daz Install Manager, (DIM) to install. If you do not have DIM installed, you'll need to do that first.
    3. Open and Log On to DIM.
    4. When DIM is through connecting, type Public in the filter field in the upper right corner. (at this point, you shouldn't see much of anything.)
    5. On the Ready to Download tab, click on the button labeled Download Filters. (This will open the settings dialog directly to the Downloads tab.)
    6. Scroll down to the Public Build option and enable it, (click in the checkbox.)
    7. Click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the dialog window.
    8. You should now see a list of files with Public Build highlighted.
    9. Select these files
    10. Make sure the Install After Download option is checked.
    11. Click on the green Start Queue button on the bottom left of the DIM window.
    12. After all the files have been downloaded and installed, clear the search filter, (delete the text, Public.)

There you go.

Have fun with the Beta!

I do it but cant see anything as you said in step 8 !

what should I do?