Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited August 2019
    Hun73r3dx said:

Anyone know if the new iray supports memory pooling with Nvlink ????

Yes. In theory all recent versions of Iray support memory pooling via NVLink. But in practice it only currently works on computers running a Linux operating system (due to memory access coherency issues on other platforms.) Meaning that the only way to take advantage of it right now with Daz Studio is to have at least two computers - one a Mac/Windows PC running Daz Studio and with all of your content loaded onto it, the other a Linux box running Iray Server with multiple GPUs/NVLink bridges inside - networked together for rendering.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,121
    0127 said:

I wonder if DAZ 3D going to improve hairs system so they will look like in abandoned Carrara.

Left - hairs with applied figure's texture. Right - how this texture looks. In Carrara - hairs inherits figure's texture

There are ways to get that look. Here's a test I did with the Daz Jaguar, both with and without the jaguar's base texture, and the settings I used to achieve that.

furdemo.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
    fursettings.png
    351 x 639 - 32K
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    L'Adair said:

What products are you guys seeing this issue with? It might come in handy to have a list of products that cause the problem. If it turns out to be only one, old, discontinued product, it's understandable why Daz doesn't want to pour resouces into finding and fixing the issue. But if there are many products, including several still in the store, it could turn into something Daz decides needs fixing.

Mine was while using one of DM's cave sets (still in store) and G3 male.

Tech support suggested I try to disable Octane. I did, and then the error didn't reoccur. However, later that day it happened again, so I'm not sure how reproducible it is.

This time the error code was "DzIKNodeisCreatingChain 18384"

• f7eerf7eer Posts: 117
    edited August 2019

The private build change log (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#private_build_channel) shows several fixes to various IK Chain issues, almost any one of which could be (or not be!) the single issue I was experiencing. Good news! For those who may not know, the private build is alpha testing (for a small audience), which foretells a larger beta release.

Post edited by f7eer on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

This might have always been the case but I have noticed that I have a DAZStudio_Beta folder and also a DAZStudio4 Public Build folder in my Program Files/DAZ 3D/. Are they both necessary for this 4.12 Beta?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    marble said:

This might have always been the case but I have noticed that I have a DAZStudio_Beta folder and also a DAZStudio4 Public Build folder in my Program Files/DAZ 3D/. Are they both necessary for this 4.12 Beta?

I don't have that & I've installed ever public beta since 4.9+. I have 'DAZStudio4' & 'DAZStudio4 Public Build'. I also have an associated  'PostgreSQL CMS'. For Hexagon I have 'Hexagon2' and 'Hexagon2 Public Build'. For DIM it is 'DAZ3DDIM1'.

marble said:

I don't have that & I've installed ever public beta since 4.9+. I have 'DAZStudio4' & 'DAZStudio4 Public Build'. I also have an associated  'PostgreSQL CMS'. For Hexagon I have 'Hexagon2' and 'Hexagon2 Public Build'. For DIM it is 'DAZ3DDIM1'.

Looking at the content of the DAZStudio_Beta folders, it seems to cater for extra plugins - Measure Metrics, for example.

marble said:
    marble said:

Looking at the content of the DAZStudio_Beta folders, it seems to cater for extra plugins - Measure Metrics, for example.

I have 'Measure Metrics' though. Maybe you have HeadShop or another plugin though that has erroneously created an incorrectly DAZ Studio Public Beta install location. There are maybe a few, HeadShop, AweRenderer 3DL, FluidOS and few other plugins that I don't have. I'm not even sure if AweRenderer or FluidOS are packaged as plugins though since I don't own them.

edited August 2019
    marble said:
    marble said:

I have 'Measure Metrics' though. Maybe you have HeadShop or another plugin though that has erroneously created an incorrectly DAZ Studio Public Beta install location. There are maybe a few, HeadShop, AweRenderer 3DL, FluidOS and few other plugins that I don't have. I'm not even sure if AweRenderer or FluidOS are packaged as plugins though since I don't own them.

Here's a few screenshots. I should mention that I only use DIM to install so nothing in these screens was placed there manually.

DAZBeta.jpg
    1052 x 383 - 61K
    DAZBeta_Plugins.jpg
    481 x 228 - 22K
    plugins.jpg
    725 x 237 - 50K
    Post edited by marble on
  • In DIM what are the path(s) for the Public Build in the Applications tab of settings?

edited August 2019

In DIM what are the path(s) for the Public Build in the Applications tab of settings?

Ah so! I have two paths. No idea how that happened but what should I do? I'm afraid I might break something if I delete the extra paths.

DIM.jpg
    737 x 375 - 65K
    Post edited by marble on

The folders seem to have been created 13 Aug 2018 and maybe/probably by an mCasual plugin installer. 

I'm pretty confident you have installed something from mCasual's site that is a plugin and created that folder. He probably originally wrote the plugin for DAZ Studio 3 and that's probably the location of the DAZ Studio 3 Public Beta folder in those days.

If it the mCasual plugin has an uninstaller try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, and then consider if you want to upgrade to a newer version if mCasual has a newer version.

That might be the source of other problems you are having that you've mentioned that others say they aren't having. 

The folders seem to have been created 13 Aug 2018 and maybe/probably by an mCasual plugin installer. 

I'm pretty confident you have installed something from mCasual's site that is a plugin and created that folder. He probably originally wrote the plugin for DAZ Studio 3 and that's probably the location of the DAZ Studio 3 Public Beta folder in those days.

If it the mCasual plugin has an uninstaller try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, and then consider if you want to upgrade to a newer version if mCasual has a newer version.

That might be the source of other problems you are having that you've mentioned that others say they aren't having. 

Actually, I think Richard guessed right ... my DIM configuration shows two paths for each of the General Release and the Public Build. I must have mistakenly created those paths at some point though I don't remember doing it. Everything seems to work regardless so I'm a little wary of deleting anything.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@marble, I've never seen that before. When you first install DIM, the Applications list is empty, and it populates automatically as you install programs, plugins, etc.

Here's what my Applications tab looks like:

Dim Settings - Applications

Just delete the wrong path in DIM after deinstalling all the plugins in that folder.  Then you can delete that folder & reinstalled those plugins & the mCasual plugin so they'll be installed in the correct place.

Just delete the wrong path in DIM after deinstalling all the plugins in that folder.  Then you can delete that folder & reinstalled those plugins & the mCasual plugin so they'll be installed in the correct place.

Yep, that would make sense.

I'll be interested to see whether DIM creates those folders again though.

• Do we keep the IRAY Optix  enabled or disabled, because when I have it unchecked, the logs say that it is no longer supported. While enabled, it goes away.

Any idea when this issue will be resolved?

• kirbawirbakirbawirba Posts: 121
    Not sure if anyone brought it up yet, but, Victoria 8 is rendering with black sclera when loading her into a scene saved previously in 4.11. No amount of fiddling around fixes it except completely eliminating the cutout opacity. That could kinda work for distant shots, but for any camera 3 feet away, floating irises can look weird. I went through every setting in surfaces. Every. One... And applying different material after loading in even a basic genesis 8 with V8 material doesn't fix it. So far only tested with a 4.11 scene. I'll see if it does it after setting up lights and stuff in a fresh new 4.12 scene.
  • Do we keep the IRAY Optix  enabled or disabled, because when I have it unchecked, the logs say that it is no longer supported. While enabled, it goes away.

Leave it enabled.

• marble said:

Actually, I think Richard guessed right ... my DIM configuration shows two paths for each of the General Release and the Public Build. I must have mistakenly created those paths at some point though I don't remember doing it. Everything seems to work regardless so I'm a little wary of deleting anything.

It showed two paths for the Public Build? DIM won't allow you to manually set paths for that, as I understand it.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120

Do we keep the IRAY Optix  enabled or disabled, because when I have it unchecked, the logs say that it is no longer supported. While enabled, it goes away.

Reported this as a bug back on the 5th. Heard back, and they are currently working on a fix. In the mean time I'd suggest leaving it checked (the equivalent of turning it OFF.) The control itself has been deprecated on the Iray end, and it's only a matter of time before DS removes the toggle completely. If you check your log file, Iray now ALWAYS automatically uses OptiX Prime acceleration unless you're rendering on only RTX cards.

• Hey i'm having trouble trying to download 4.12, can anyone tell me how i can do it?Thanks!

marble said:

It showed two paths for the Public Build? DIM won't allow you to manually set paths for that, as I understand it.

In that case, I can't have done it by mistake. DIM must have done it by mistake ;)

edited August 2019

Hey i'm having trouble trying to download 4.12, can anyone tell me how i can do it?Thanks!

@holatanyacruz, Here ya' go:

L'Adair said:
    Here's the answer, complete for any who might be searching the forums for the same answer:
    1. Like all products at Daz, free or not, you have to purchase the Beta. Just put it in the cart and checkout. That puts the product in your Account and makes it available to install.
    2. The beta requires you use the Daz Install Manager, (DIM) to install. If you do not have DIM installed, you'll need to do that first.
    3. Open and Log On to DIM.
    4. When DIM is through connecting, type Public in the filter field in the upper right corner. (at this point, you shouldn't see much of anything.)
    5. On the Ready to Download tab, click on the button labeled Download Filters. (This will open the settings dialog directly to the Downloads tab.)
    6. Scroll down to the Public Build option and enable it, (click in the checkbox.)
    7. Click on the green Accept button at the bottom of the dialog window.
    8. You should now see a list of files with Public Build highlighted.
    9. Select these files
    10. Make sure the Install After Download option is checked.
    11. Click on the green Start Queue button on the bottom left of the DIM window.
    12. After all the files have been downloaded and installed, clear the search filter, (delete the text, Public.)

Have fun with the Beta!

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Always weary of updating asssuming you can't have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed at the same time to compare.  Anyone see any improvement upgrading to 4.12 with the 2080 Ti ?

edited August 2019

Always weary of updating asssuming you can't have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed at the same time to compare.  Anyone see any improvement upgrading to 4.12 with the 2080 Ti ?

@mechengineer97, As 4.12 is still in Beta, you can very easily have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed side-by-side. I've been running the latest beta with a released version since installed on the same computer since 2015.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • mechengineer97mechengineer97 Posts: 116
    edited August 2019
    L'Adair said:

Always weary of updating asssuming you can't have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed at the same time to compare.  Anyone see any improvement upgrading to 4.12 with the 2080 Ti ?

@mechengineer97, As 4.12 is still in Beta, you can very easily have both 4.11 and 4.12 installed side-by-side. I've been running the latest beta with a released version since installed on the same computer since 2015.Yeah

Just noticed 4.10 was replaced with 4.11 on my desktop which was formerly 4.11 public beta I assume.  Thanks man!!!!

Post edited by mechengineer97 on
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

4.12 has enabled the RT cores (sepcifically I think for the denoiser) and sped of render kickoff times.

I have no benchmarks to provide but I do have a 2080TI and have faster convergance to an acceptable quality in 4.12 with the post denoiser enabled.

An interior scene lit with an HDRI from outside with two G8 characters wearing standard dforce street clothes (no refactive / shiny gear or anything rendered at 4k takes about 10 - 15 min (depending on the amount of glass in the scene) to get to a decent quality at 4k. Resizing the image to 1080p in post makes it look even sharper.

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited August 2019

Interesting (read crippling) issue with the timeline I discovered last night.

I had a scene with 46 frames. Had a T pose at fram 0 to a pose at frame 15 for draping dforce. Between frame 0 and frame 15 I had 2 or 3 additional keyframes to postion hands to prevent a straight line between poses from gumming up the fabric. Simulation set to go for 30 frames. 15 for the positioning and 15 to settle.

Worked great. Closed the scene and left it alone a couple days, enter last night. Open the same scene and the timeline is all f**** up. No more 46 frames, only 31. My frames from 15 are now on 31 and the hand ones are still at 15. Its like the timeline reset partially to default when loading or saving. 

Luckily for me it was just for posing dforce clothing, but s*** like this will ruin people's animations. Imagine if it had been 500 frames?

Post edited by Paradigm on