Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited November 2013

Even though I installed more RAM into my computer, Daz Studio 4 still runs out of memory. I think Studio has hit the 32 bit memory limit. I won't be able to render complex scenes in Daz Studio 4 until I buy a new computer. In the mean time, I'll create portraits using Genesis like Rogerbee does.

At least Daz Studio and my games run a little faster now because they are not swapping to disk/page file so often.

You must be on a 32-bit system? Any more than 4 gigs of ram is wasted unless you have a 64-bit system.
    ...not exactly, if your version of XP supports the "3GB switch" (which is set in the .ini - best to discuss this with an expert) then you can get the extra 1G allocated as the OS and system processes will use the remaining 1GB of the 4. If you only have 2GB total RAM, then Studio will end up competing with the OS and processes for a share of the available memory. Also, if you have one of those Intel Integrated graphics chipsets, that too draws from the system's memory as well.

Below is a link to a description of 4 Gigabyte Tuning and the "3GB switch", but again I would still speak with someone who knows about system configuration to make sure your system is compatible. It did not work on my notebook because I have a specially dedicated version of XP32. When I installed it, my system would not boot up properly and I had to force it into Safe Mode to remove the instruction.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:

Great render,

If they're all this good you can post here any time.

CHEERS!

Thank you Rogerbee ^^ I will as soon my next render finished, and will try to post some war render too.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did not know that Daz Studio can use more than one processor core. I learned something new.

Actually, DAZ (or most other program) will always set to use all of your processor, but that will make some low spec PC like mine overheat and slow, because DAZ use 100% of the CPU when doing final render or heavy duty.

For people that haven't figure this out, this is how to change how many cores you want DAZ to use.
    Thats why whenever I want to do final render, I've always set it on Task Manager > then look for DAZStudio.exe > right click, set affinity to your desired, how many cores and which core you want DAZ to use. Usually multiply of 2 is most stable.

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

thanks for the tip. Of course, I only have a single core CPU. I should close Google Chrome and Firefox before I open a big scene in Daz Studio 3.

task_manager.jpg
    564 x 508 - 139K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 1969

...ouch, and I felt hamstrung on a duo core.

Father Christmas needs to be nice to you this coming holiday

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Thank you Rogerbee ^^ I will as soon my next render finished, and will try to post some war render too.

The more the merrier! I look forward to seeing them.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

thanks for the tip. Of course, I only have a single core CPU. I should close Google Chrome and Firefox before I open a big scene in Daz Studio 3.

Good idea,

Running anything memory intensive on a single core is a big ask. You seem to have a lot of instances of Chrome open there too. If you want to run DS then always reboot and start clean if you've already been using other things.

I ran the laptop I had before this one into the ground with AVG, browsers and Poser, it only had 2gb of RAM and a single core processor. it was half dead in the space of a year!

I'd seriously consider upgrading your spec if you want to continue with 3D

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I decided I'd try what Artini did and replace the UE light in my Jamie render with the Advanced Ambient Light with the intensity set to the same 70% value.

Got to say, I really like what I'm seeing, it looks so natural and really brings out the detail.

Hats off to Age of Armour!

CHEERS!

Jamie_AAL_Test_01.jpg
    576 x 745 - 217K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,833
    edited December 1969

It is looking good, Rogerbee.
    I also think, that recent Age of Armour products brings to Daz Studio the missing element,
    the quality of renders at the fraction of time necessary to complete them.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I decided I'd try what Artini did and replace the UE light in my Jamie render with the Advanced Ambient Light with the intensity set to the same 70% value.

Got to say, I really like what I'm seeing, it looks so natural and really brings out the detail.

Hats off to Age of Armour!

CHEERS!

Wow, that Advance Light from AoA looks promising, I have that product on my wishlist since last week, but afraid that I won't really need them, but guess I'll move the product to shopping cart right away.

edited December 1969

Yep it has bags of potential. It's one thing to sit twiddling sliders for ages, but another to then have to sit idly by to watch your render cooking. I can see this being very popular.

Don't delay, buy today!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Running anything memory intensive on a single core is a big ask. You seem to have a lot of instances of Chrome open there too. If you want to run DS then always reboot and start clean if you've already been using other things.

Actually, Google Chrome runs each tab in a separate process. But we are correct when we notice that web browsers do use a bunch of memory. I need to finish some 2D drawings now. bye

google_chrome.jpg
    862 x 452 - 109K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2013

Knocked this off my set in UE still prefer using lux this took 12 minutes

r.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 390K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:

Yep it has bags of potential. It's one thing to sit twiddling sliders for ages, but another to then have to sit idly by to watch your render cooking. I can see this being very popular.

Don't delay, buy today!

CHEERS!

...like I mentioned i can get the look and feel of LDP again. Now All i need is someone to create a bunch of skydomes like Azure Skies. Seems clouds are very popular but I'd like to see a few with more clear sky and less cloud.

Unfortunately without using the lights, the Azure Skies & LDP domes do not re-size properly with the size of the scene and look grainy if just scaled up on their own. Don't have the tools to create my own (digital camera & software).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Knocked this off my set in UE still prefer using lux this took 12 minutes

Nice render. The shoes match the color of her top.

edited December 1969

Thanks I still prefer the realistic overall look of lux its very hard to produce stuff like this with 3Delight (for me anyhow ) but still not bad results for such fast render times. Rendering times have stopped bothering me a long time ago...

2eadae82a2fd6c95861f2805442ca658-d6ehkoh.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 722K
    edited December 1969

Actually, Google Chrome runs each tab in a separate process. But we are correct when we notice that web browsers do use a bunch of memory. I need to finish some 2D drawings now. bye

I see,

I was always warned off Chrome when I had Poser, something to do with the way it used Flash. I'm using Waterfox, a 64bit variant of Firefox.

You want a quad core with at least 6 or more gig of RAM and you'll do alright.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...like I mentioned i can get the look and feel of LDP again. Now All i need is someone to create a bunch of skydomes like Azure Skies. Seems clouds are very popular but I'd like to see a few with more clear sky and less cloud.

Unfortunately without using the lights, the Azure Skies & LDP domes do not re-size properly with the size of the scene and look grainy if just scaled up on their own. Don't have the tools to create my own (digital camera & software).

There are a few scene sets that come with skydomes, I forget which now, but I do have a few around. I'd do some searching and see which ones you can find.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    Thanks I still prefer the realistic overall look of lux its very hard to produce stuff like this with 3Delight (for me anyhow ) but still not bad results for such fast render times. Rendering times have stopped bothering me a long time ago...

Nice,

She should use some fabric conditioner though, that dress looks a little stiff!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

LOL limitations of 3D guess I should get into dynamic clothing at some point..

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

There are a few scene sets that come with skydomes, I forget which now, but I do have a few around. I'd do some searching and see which ones you can find.

CHEERS!
    ...I have several from sets by Stonemason and Dystopia. But it would be nice just to have a standalone set similar to the Azure Skies expansion for LDP2 that can be used with the AALs and/or your own light setups that has a nice selection of different sky conditions, for daytime, evening/morning, and night.

Really surprised nobody's done this yet.

edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    LOL limitations of 3D guess I should get into dynamic clothing at some point..

That's a good point, I haven't got the dynamic clothing plug-in for DS yet.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

...I have several from sets by Stonemason and Dystopia. But it would be nice just to have a standalone set similar to the Azure Skies expansion for LDP2 that can be used with the AALs and/or your own light setups that has a nice selection of different sky conditions, for daytime, evening/morning, and night.

Really surprised nobody's done this yet.

I think that's where mine are from. It would be a good idea to do some standalone skydomes like the ones you mentioned though.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

...yeah, gets a bit redundant when every other scene has the same sky.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Funny, I was thinking of buying a dual core Celeron. i found a six-core AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz processor for only $120 USD. wow. That is cheap. Hopefully I will find a job soon so that I can build my own computer. Thanks for the tips everyone. I gotta go now.. again. lol

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Rogerbee said:

Don't delay, buy today!

CHEERS!

Well, creating skydome going to be hard, that's mostly photographer things, using HDR shot.
    If you also looks for cloud thingy Cloud Nine is great, I've seen the video, but I don't know, I rarely doing outside environment scene and not kind of my taste with using UE base lightning, your character will looks realistic but unflattering in every aspect without any 2-3 light addition which increase your render time brutaly. (which i've been strugeling)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...yeah, gets a bit redundant when every other scene has the same sky.

We all have the same sky, it's the clouds and the weather that are different.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

Funny, I was thinking of buying a dual core Celeron. i found a six-core AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz processor for only $120 USD. wow. That is cheap. Hopefully I will find a job soon so that I can build my own computer. Thanks for the tips everyone. I gotta go now.. again. lol

Celerons have no cache, the fuller your hard drive gets, the slower it runs. That 6 core AMD sounds like it could be just the ticket. Couple that with as much RAM as you can get your hands on and you'll have a winner.

Bobvan and Kyoto have both built their own monster systems and could point you in the right direction.

CHEERS!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Be sure to check the processor benchmark charts to make sure it is a decent processor. It may be low cost because it may be low performing

edited December 1969

Good point,

I checked my old single core AFTER I bought it, god what a mistake buying that was! I'm not overly keen on their graphics cards, but, Intel seem to know their way around processors, I haven't had any trouble at all with my quad core.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

i should run a benchmark to see how slow my current computer is. I'd play with daz studio but my hands are numb. I just came home after running some errands. Boy, is it cold outside! The high is supposed to be around 50 degrees F but I think the wind is blowing. The sun is still out.

stuff i need to do after my my hands are warm:
    Fix my fantasy scenes with Laura
    Do portraits with Genesis 1 and 2
    Render artistic nudes of Stephanie petite
    Buy IBL stuff for Studio 4.6
    Finish 2D drawings
    Upload art to my DeviantArt account.

ok, bye everyone

Post edited by starionwolf on
This discussion has been closed.