Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks for pointing it up, Jabba101. I have not used motion blur in my render settings, because
    I was not aware of it. It looks like I need to explore this settings at some point.
    Right now, another render with HD morphs.

I think I can see what is happening, the texture going over the morphs seems to be masking all the detail. You can see that most in the chimp girl. With just the standard texture you can see all the detail, it disappears completely when you add the fur. You could add fur with Garibaldi.

CHEERS!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Recently picked up the lovely Teen Josie Pro bundle for Genesis 2, so here's my first render. I absolutely adore the hairstyles bundled with her, and the Scarf Braid Hair in particular sold pretty much the entire bundle to me on the strength of its promo. Easily my favourite of the bunch, so I couldn't resist using it for my first image.

I expect to be using Josie a lot more in future works as there's an absolute wealth of items I've yet to explore with the bundle.

Josie.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 480K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

HeraldOfFire, what kind of lighting did you use? IBL/HDR? Uber area lights? Lux Render? Regular spotlights? I'm just curious because your render looks so much better than my render of Josie. Thanks for posting the nice render.

My latest render of Josie is at at: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18613/P1200/#469580

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 1969

HeraldOfFire, what kind of lighting did you use? IBL/HDR? Uber area lights? Lux Render? Regular spotlights? I'm just curious because your render looks so much better than my render of Josie. Thanks for posting the nice render.

My latest render of Josie is at at: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18613/P1200/#469580

I use the same lighting setup for a lot of my test renders. In this case, a simple raytraced directional light and an UberEnvironment light set to soft shadows. The latter is set to use high quality and set to a very light blue while the directional light is set to a very light yellow.

Directional Light:
    R: 255, G: 255, B: 210
    Intensity: 40%
    Raytraced Shadows
    Shadow Bias: 0.01

UberEnvironment:
    R: 210, G: 210, B: 255
    Intensity: 40%
    Occlusion Samples: 128
    Shading Rate: 8

edited December 1969

Nice render Herald,

I noted that both Josie and Gia make use of the Subsurface shader. Have you done much with it!? I haven't yet been able to find any nice settings for it. When I had the EHSS, I had settings from Male-M3dia to work from and got good results every time. Also, I just looked at a texture for Gia, done by his partners, which still included EHSS presets. Which do you find the best!? I always liked the EHSS as it worked exactly the way I felt it was meant to. There's something about 'jack of all trades' shaders that makes me think that they aren't as good at doing everything as they should be.

CHEERS!

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited November 2013

Hey guys and gals, I was trying to find a thread more focused on realism via post processing, but I hope y'all won't mind me checking in here. I guess the point I'm making is that an UN-realistic render can be immensely improved by a bit of skillful post work. Never mind me, of course, since I'm just now diving into this new artistic realm with Corel Painter and lots of great instructional videos on YouTube.

Anyway, here we have the Elven Treehouse starring Stephanie 5 doing her 'Vanna White' pose. (Actually I think she's supposed to be holding a gun, but what the hey! :) )

This is post processed in Corel Painter 12. The original render can be seen here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21166/P90/#473088

I'm becoming a fan of post processing now. There are some effects in this image that are unique to Painter, but I think anyone with Photoshop, or even GIMP, could improve their renders by learning about things like adjustment layers and brushes. So, grab your pen tablet (or buy a cheap Wacom) and make some artistic decisions!

treehouse1b.jpg
    1920 x 1440 - 515K
    Post edited by daveleitz on
    edited December 1969

Don't worry, you'll fit in here just fine, we're a pretty eclectic bunch,

LDP-R is encouraging us to use postwork so it's something we're all gradually becoming familiar with.

If it looks good, post it!

Great render

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

My latest render of Josie is at at: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18613/P1200/#469580I use the same lighting setup for a lot of my test renders. In this case, a simple raytraced directional light and an UberEnvironment light set to soft shadows. The latter is set to use high quality and set to a very light blue while the directional light is set to a very light yellow.

My computer is too slow to render uber area lights or Uber Environment. I might try IBL/HDR lighting. Thanks for sharing the tips.

Josie and the pussy cat. Where are my shadows?? I need to check the lights, again. I'll upload a new version soon. I forgot to lower the shader rate from 1.00

Daz Studio uses ~900 MB
    Video card uses ~160 MB

Josie_cat.jpg
    640 x 374 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Whoops!

It does look a little odd without shadows. Time to ask Santa for a new computer!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

In Daz Studio 4, distant lights don't seem to cast shadows onto objects indoors. I'll need to set the spotlight to cast shadows instead. I was about to check the surface settings of the floor.

edited December 1969

In Daz Studio 4, distant lights don't seem to cast shadows onto objects indoors. I'll need to set the spotlight to cast shadows instead. I was about to check the surface settings of the floor.

Distant lights will cast shadows fine indoors, but the problems occur when walls and ceilings are blocking the path of the light which will put the entire render into shadow.

For scenes like this I tend to remove a wall or make it invisible so I can still keep the directional light coming from the right direction without breaking the illusion of it being a room. Two of the four walls were removed for the image I rendered above using Teen Josie to achieve the effect.

edited November 2013

I will try hiding the ceiling after I install more memory into my computer. Hopefully Daz Studio will give me fewer memory errors. Windows XP allocates about 1.5 GB of memory for this scene. In the mean time I will play with generation 3 and 4 figures.

Josie has seams. I forgot to set the shader rating to a lower setting again.

Josie_cat.jpg
    590 x 576 - 81K
    edited December 1969

Good overall setup though, the light looks like it might be coming from a doorway. One other thing, would there not be evidence on the ground outside of the light shining through the window!?

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

No, the light is coming from above near the ceiling. Hmm, it seems for the new scene I moved the spotlight back so that is almost against the front wall. I should put the spotlight in the doorway to see what the lighting looks like. The second picture shows the view from the spotlight.

Laura_foyer_camera.jpg
    525 x 651 - 100K
    Laura_dream_home_foyer.jpg
    516 x 610 - 81K
    edited December 1969

Ah, I see,

What I meant was that the way the shadows on the floor were being cast it reminded me of a shaft of light coming from a hallway into the room.

CHEERS!

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

This is Josie Teen 6. Well, "undead", slightly alien-headed, Josie Teen 6.

Trick-or-3-Feet-Deep-03-illustration.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 207K
    edited November 2013

This image started out as an exercise in posing in DAZ Studio. The original render was post processed in Corel Painter. Much of the time was spent with adjustment layers fixing shadows and highlights (still not 100% happy with the results). I took the opportunity to fake some ambient occlusion here and there. Even though I added an Uber Environment to the standard light set of Ultimo Paradiso, I had a hard time finding the right mix of lighting. Fix it in Post! :)

The tree trunk in the foreground is the real dilemma. I spent a lot of time on it just smoothing out the very visible polygon lines. The level of detail on the textures is also a problem, since the background tree appears sharper, visually bringing it forward.

tree_pose.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 280K
    Post edited by daveleitz on
    edited November 2013

This is Josie Teen 6. Well, "undead", slightly alien-headed, Josie Teen 6.

She looks like she wants to play, though it's possible we might not enjoy the game as much as she will.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

This image started out as an exercise in posing in DAZ Studio. The original render was post processed in Corel Painter. Much of the time was spent with adjustment layers fixing shadows and highlights (still not 100% happy with the results). I took the opportunity to fake some ambient occlusion here and there. Even though I added an Uber Environment to the standard light set of Ultimo Paradiso, I had a hard time finding the right mix of lighting. Fix it in Post! :)

The tree trunk in the foreground is the real dilemma. I spent a lot of time on it just smoothing out the very visible polygon lines. The level of detail on the textures is also a problem, since the background tree appears sharper, visually bringing it forward.

Looks great,

This was the kind of thing I bought Vue for, sadly that bridges with Poser, which I now no longer use. Bryce bridges with DS but the current version is only 32 bit and is supposed to be glacially slow at rendering. I hope, at some point, that they make Bryce 8 and make it 64 bit.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee, thanks! AM's DAZ Studio environments are quite good. I just got The Lost World and did a few quick renders last night.

edited December 1969

Yeah, they are,

Whenever I keep meaning to buy scenes, stuff comes out for the figures and I never seem to get round to them. It'll be like that when Michael 6 launches, I'll be busy buying up stuff for him!

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:

Good overall setup though, the light looks like it might be coming from a doorway. One other thing, would there not be evidence on the ground outside of the light shining through the window!?

CHEERS!

I do like how the light appears to be coming from the door way too. The foreground is bright not like the second render. In the second render, the floor is a bit dark for my tastes. I will play with the lights and shadows after I install more memory into my computer.

Oh wait, I can edit my scene that has Laura 3. I don't really need to render Josie 6. I'll upload a new render soon.

edited December 1969

That's cool, I remember that Daz did lower res versions of the Gen 3's for faster rendering, not something they've really done since. There's no Genesis Lite.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

(snip)

I like the water. I see two pretty colors.

Here is the new Genesis 2 Female starter essentials. The hair, pergola and Persian outfit is included in the essentials zip file. Distant lights cast shadows.

Genesis_2_Pergola.jpg
    590 x 493 - 71K
    edited November 2013

It's not bad, you can't really see much detail on her and it's difficult to tell what in the scene we're supposed to be focusing on.

I've finally done a render or two myself,

I tracked down that Jamie 3D scan that Herald used in that superb Lux render he did, you know, the standing guy. I wanted to see how he'd render in 3Delight and the answer is rather well actually.

The first is rendered with a light set from Inane Glory's Photo Studio - Point And Shoot and the other is from the Lantios Portrait Studio set. I have to say, I still like the Lantios set best.

CHEERS!

Jamie_Test_05.jpg
    576 x 745 - 228K
    Jamie_Test_04.jpg
    576 x 745 - 229K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

You're supposed to be focusing on the vase. See how it is in the light? Just kidding. I'll play around with the scene some more.

Thanks for posting the renders. The skin looks realistic. I thought you rendered them in Poser but you rendered it in Luxrender.

edited December 1969

Poser!? LOL! I haven't used that for ages, I don't even have it installed. If I so wished, I could have rendered it with Luxrender via Luxus, but, Herald had already done so and I wanted to see what plain old DS could do. Jamie could be useful for testing lighting as you don't have to fiddle with any surfaces and he only has one texture map.

I still like Lantios lights and UE, but will toy with Age of rmour's lights when I get the Advanced Spotlight. I'm more of a point and shoot kind of guy really.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Ok, I did another Jamie render, this time with one of the sets in the Lantios Core Lighting 3 set, and when I hit 'Render' I got this message:

3Delight message #13 (Severity 1): R2054: primitive (or parts of) '' discarded during eye-split

The render window was black and the progress indicator filled up, then, when it got to 100% it then rendered properly. Anyone any idea why this happened!?

The eventual render was really good though, as you can see below

CHEERS!

Jamie_Test_06.jpg
    576 x 745 - 221K
  • DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Ok, I did another Jamie render, this time with one of the sets in the Lantios Core Lighting 3 set, and when I hit 'Render' I got this message:

3Delight message #13 (Severity 1): R2054: primitive (or parts of) '' discarded during eye-split

The render window was black and the progress indicator filled up, then, when it got to 100% it then rendered properly. Anyone any idea why this happened!?

The eventual render was really good though, as you can see below

CHEERS!

I get messages like that so often now in D|S that i ignore it now lol.I never did look into what it meant, it didn't stop me from rendering so i just forgot about it eventually. I know not to helpful lol.

edited December 1969

It didn't happen till I loaded that light set so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I've never had render errors before.

CHEERS!

This discussion has been closed.