July, 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering

Comments

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 280
    Galaxy said:

Submission specially for feedback and learning purpose.

This time Iray. 9 min and 9% render. No postwork. I messed up the hair.

If you submit that we all lose :) seriously though it's amazing I can't wait to see the final product. I MIGHT use less flowers just because it's seems odd that they are posititioned around her head. If you intersperse less flowers it'll look more natural. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    Coryllon said:
    Galaxy said:

Submission specially for feedback and learning purpose.

This time Iray. 9 min and 9% render. No postwork. I messed up the hair.

If you submit that we all lose :) seriously though it's amazing I can't wait to see the final product. I MIGHT use less flowers just because it's seems odd that they are posititioned around her head. If you intersperse less flowers it'll look more natural. 

Nobody loses, you all win a lot of new ideas and understanding ;)

• chaynawolfsmoonchaynawolfsmoon Posts: 675
    edited July 2019
    Linwelly said:

So true. I barely know anything about the program. People talk about things I've not discovered yet. I do a lot of "ooh what's that?" :)

PS: those freckles are adorable.

Post edited by chaynawolfsmoon on

Keeping with the bite lower lip theme found another pose which works and is more face on than the previous.

Have you though about changing the format to landscape? I think you could get closer to the figure without loosing the context by the switch, maybe with a little twist as well.

for the posing I think you could try to give her back more of the cureve coming from that chair. she looks a tad stiff atm.

This is a custom-morphed character combining several models and using rarestone’s head morphs, and the shapeshifter morph package.

(There's supposed to be 2 images, but only 1 will upload right now for some reason) I chose to go a bit non-traditional as far as “rules” for portraits go. So here’s some of the stuff I broke: Both my images are wider angled rather than a traditional portrait crop. I instead used the environment, architectural lines and light/shadow to frame the figure as best I could. In the second image, the body and outfit are very important to the overall image so I did not want it cropped off. There’s an assortment of lights in the lighting setup I put together but for the first image I intentionally used a very non-traditional approach for the key light… aiming from a lower angle pointed upwards normally will give an unnatural “creep” factor to a figure’s face, but I did it in a way that I intended for it to add interest to the look of the character and some edge to her overall look and expression.

I also tested the images with DOF, and having the room’s background and cityscape blurred actually detracted from the overall feel of the portrait imo. Even though DOF often does, it really didn’t enhance the focus on the figure in this case. Wondering if there were any thoughts on this and if others see problems with how I went about composing these 2 portraits.

Even though I can’t think of anything that hasn’t already been mentioned, I will try to keep up and offer whatever constructive criticism I can offer to others in this challenge. Thanks very much for any feedback.

I agree with ppunky, its a great render but a tad of Dof will give the face the support to really stick out

Galaxy said:

Update: Tried to follow Coryllondragoneyes002

With a zombie and without zombie

I forgot to change boots for the zombie scene

ariochsnowpaw

Trying to play with shadow (tried settings and increased value is 200, I need to learn) and camera (depth of field enabled but still not getting blurred background, I will probably try again).

This is for the ready to action render: I definitely prefer the one without zombie ;)

Some thoughts, from the other posts i take it you are working with 3delight? most important for 3delight lighting is to switch shadows on raytraced, with your forst scenery I think shadow intensity is best on 100 % but with a softness of 50%. try to get ri of the shadow bias which is preset to 1 in many cases, nobody needs that ;)

The DOF should work in your setting, you probably didn't set the focus on the girl yet. Look at your setting with the cam you use selected in the scene tab from the side and adjust the two planes so they enclose the girl. The coloured line cross is best placed about where her face is. This should make the background being blurred.

if not try reducing the F/Stop but not too much else she looks like a puppet.

the floor in the foreground could be improved adding Bump and/or displacement

One last thing, try to give her a fierce expression. in the moment the things happening around her don't make an impression on her.

If you got more questions with 3delight just ask :D

Linwelly said:

So true. I barely know anything about the program. People talk about things I've not discovered yet. I do a lot of "ooh what's that?" :)

PS: those freckles are adorable.

Thank you so much, those freckles were made with skinbuilder (genesis 3 in this case) but I made another set to use with the layered image editor (LIE) another great tool to play with to customize your characters

• I can't stop playing with the lights... I'm going get electricuted if I'm not careful.

A017.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    A016.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I can't stop playing with the lights... I'm going get electricuted if I'm not careful.

Wear Rubber Gloves!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,108
    edited July 2019
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Love with a centaur sounds romantic, but she'll probably find it problematic.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

I can't stop playing with the lights... I'm going get electricuted if I'm not careful.

Playing with lights is a great way to learn. 

Definitely a photo shoot feel with your images.

• Playing with lights is a great way to learn. 

Definitely a photo shoot feel with your images.

That is one of my aims. I always paid attention to the way photographers would position the lights.

My lighting goals (in no particular order):

Nice diffuse morning light.

Good, consistent eye catch without blow out or harsh shadows.

Learning to use the other types of lighting beyond spots and presets.

Lighting multiple characters in a scene consistently.

Controlling the lights and shadows so I can create dynamic, interesting images. (Avoiding everything looking flat.)

Using lighting and depth of field.

I'm sure there is a ton of information out there on all of that. I will learn and retain it better by doing/trying/failing. I've not even explored all the options in Daz to interact creatively with the scene or subjects. So much I've not even looked at. I suppose I'll learn it when I'll need it.

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

How to get rid of white spot?

Flowers everywhere.png
    1280 x 960 - 3M
    edited July 2019

Postwork done using 2d software due to white spot on her forehead.

I found generate a portrait without using any postwork is very difficult for them who are new to 3d but I learned lot of things. Thank you all for suggestion. Those suggestions helped me to learn various things.

Flowers Final.png
    1280 x 960 - 3M
    Post edited by Galaxy on
    Gordig said:

Posing 2 interacting figures is a challenge.  Well done.

I find the light a little too bright.  It is washing out the skin and dress of the female figure.

Nicely done.  I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Galaxy said:

I found generate a portrait without using any postwork is very difficult for them who are new to 3d but I learned lot of things. Thank you all for suggestion. Those suggestions helped me to learn various things.

I am not sure what is causing that white spot.  Sometimes strange artefacts can show up in one render and disappear the next time you render the image.

I like your camera angle and the figure lying diagonally across the image.  Very dynamic.

Perhaps adjust the camera slightly so that her toes are not against the edge of the image. 

Nicely done.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@Galaxy

Try turning the glossines down on the hair as it might be reflecting the light.

edited July 2019

@Fishtales Turning the glossiness down is working. Though render not completed due to power cut but it was without any white spot or any kind of spot.

@Kismet2012 Now I can use DOF but need more experiment to properly understand it.

Post edited by Galaxy on
    edited July 2019

ok I scaled some of the flowers to various sizes, turrned  a few, and dulled the grass and flowers to look more realistic. Also shrank the dimples they made her look TOO old. Also changes her hair color slightly so it woudl stand out a slight bit more

SimoneAntari.jpg
    1994 x 1990 - 3M
    Post edited by Coryllon on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,108
    edited July 2019

Posing 2 interacting figures is a challenge.  Well done.

I find the light a little too bright.  It is washing out the skin and dress of the female figure.

Nicely done.  I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Thanks. I closed the aperture a bit to get less blowout. Maybe I should disable the bloom filter entirely.

Also, they're BOTH female.

Post edited by Gordig on

@Gordig - Love this so far, if I had a suggestion or two it would be, drop the ligthing maybe 20% and check the material for the hair. if it's 3Delight and you are using IRAY it'll give you the complete BLACK hair that you see on the centaur with no gloss, texture, or shading.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

I have softened and lowered the strength of the shadows for the version of Dante with overhead light

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,035
    Coryllon said:

ok I scaled some of the flowers to various sizes, turrned  a few, and dulled the grass and flowers to look more realistic. Also shrank the dimples they made her look TOO old. Also changes her hair color slightly so it woudl stand out a slight bit more

That is a great improvement over the original, the flowers look to have grown naturally rather than be fired in position with a flower gun. My one thought now is the angle of the figure's right toes. If I read it right, the legs are crossed and her right toes are pointing skyward. If that is correct, the pose wouldn't be comfortable. If there was more of a bend in the foot to rest the toes on or near the ground, it would look a little more relaxed.

Regards,

Richard.

Galaxy said:

That's a nice image. The flower colours look better and the size differences between clumps looks realistic.

Regards,

Richard.

Gordig said:

Here I am hoping that the centaur will just let her burden go 'sploosh' in the river... laugh

The human figure's hair could do with some gravity. At the moment it seems to be following the line of her neck, rather than a downwards pull. Can the hair be morphed to be visible in part of the rectangle between her head, shoulder, arm and centaur? On her right side it would also be good to move the hair off to her left.

Regards,

Richard

edited July 2019
    Coryllon said:

That is a great improvement over the original, the flowers look to have grown naturally rather than be fired in position with a flower gun. My one thought now is the angle of the figure's right toes. If I read it right, the legs are crossed and her right toes are pointing skyward. If that is correct, the pose wouldn't be comfortable. If there was more of a bend in the foot to rest the toes on or near the ground, it would look a little more relaxed.

Regards,

Richard.

Actually, they are curled around her shin, while her foot rubs the back of her calf as people tend to do when they are nervous :)

Post edited by Coryllon on
  • no noseno nose Posts: 299

well I think this will be the final version for now. Pretty happy with it, and not to sure if any more changes are needed.

7.png
    1072 x 1429 - 1M
  • Galaxy said:

<snip>

My machine is setup for 2d graphics. Last year I tried Blender and due to complexity of that software I gave up within few days. Also the PC shopkeeper told me more ram is waste. I tried to convince him I am going to use it for 3d then he showd me by playing a heavy 3d game that more ram is waste. Also almost all over the internet people are talk about more ram is waste and I end up with a low ram machine.

This year I started using DAZ (Though I found it years ago but necessary morphs, contents were out of my budget also at that time I was not familier with time to time special sale of DAZstore also at that time I was busy purchasing 2d contents)  and probably in future most of my work will be 3d.

Would going to the IRay renderer cure this?

No, because if I try Iray render it will choke entire system ram, even sometimes DAZ hangs and exit due to low ram. I will build a new machine within few months which will contain at least 32GB RAM and then I will try Iray with heavy scene and light. Even then I will use Iray for the project that require realistic render due to huge time it require.

hilt to be parallel with the knuckles

The updated version is almost parallel.

@Galaxy: A rule of thumb for future planning is that when it comes to RAM, consumers sip, producers chug. Browsers take very little by modern standards; games take more, but most don't benefit from having more than their recommended amount. 3D renderers (Blender, Daz Studio, Maya, Poser, etc), 2D image editors (Gimp, Photoshop, etc), audio or video editors, and code compilation all will take as much RAM as you can get and ask for more.

Another thing to keep in mind is that IRay is an Nvidia product, and doesn't work with AMD video cards. Additionally, video ram counts for much more when rendering scenes than playing games. Historically, Nvidia has skimped on video ram and bandwidth. That said, if you have/get a reasonably powwerful GTX/RTX card, you should be fine. When it comes to building a new machine (or planning out an upgrade to an existing one), I find this site to be invaluable: https://pcpartpicker.com Beware how your priorities will differ from anything targeting 'Gaming'.

@rcbcgreenpanzer

Very helpful for those who will build next machine.

My experience is any graphics works require RAM much more than recommended amount. I also found, if it is only one person working, most of the time require 6-7 software to run simulteniously to finish a work. Hence interestingly a gaming machine with recommended configuration probably will fail to do so.