July, 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering

Comments

• So, After going through the comments and suggestions, and losing my second render to a mysterious computer crash ( as in it was rendering when I laid down for a nap and when I woke up the computer was on the log in screen), I have my first set of adjustments.

In this version changes made: 1) fixed the poke through on the jacket, 2) changed the texturing on Delicate's outfit (Proxy Outfit for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)) to the "damaged" texture that comes with it, changed the shaders on the gloves and belt(I forget which outfits they're from) to try to make the leather look more aged as well, she is old so that means her clothes have seen some use and should reflect that. 3) snugged up the crossed belts on her waist. 4) made a minor adjustment to Delicate's expression, which seemed to soften her look somewhat, changed the pose on her left thumb and hand to point at Delema like I had originaly intended it to look like.  5) Added a new camera and lowered the angle like Kismet2012 suggested, at the same time I opened up the framing a little so there is some room between the characters and the edge of the frame, had to lower Deliacte's eyes to keep her looking at the camera, though I don't like that Delema's eyes are blocked now and I cant move the glasses down anymore,and taking them off or moving her head ruins her smug look. I think that is it this time around,  as always comments, crits, and advise welcome

Meet_my_little_Delema_003.jpg
    1334 x 2160 - 2M
  • dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited July 2019

well you asked for a panoramic view of the second entry plus a few changes in posture so here it is in mostly raw form rendered in Daz3d studio 4.10 with despecling and a couple minor fixes

Stay toonedI got an inspiration that may be perfect for this theme I've been working and the portrait challenge

Kylareads1c.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • So, After going through the comments and suggestions, and losing my second render to a mysterious computer crash ( as in it was rendering when I laid down for a nap and when I woke up the computer was on the log in screen), I have my first set of adjustments.

In this version changes made: 1) fixed the poke through on the jacket, 2) changed the texturing on Delicate's outfit (Proxy Outfit for Genesis 3 and 8 Female(s)) to the "damaged" texture that comes with it, changed the shaders on the gloves and belt(I forget which outfits they're from) to try to make the leather look more aged as well, she is old so that means her clothes have seen some use and should reflect that. 3) snugged up the crossed belts on her waist. 4) made a minor adjustment to Delicate's expression, which seemed to soften her look somewhat, changed the pose on her left thumb and hand to point at Delema like I had originaly intended it to look like.  5) Added a new camera and lowered the angle like Kismet2012 suggested, at the same time I opened up the framing a little so there is some room between the characters and the edge of the frame, had to lower Deliacte's eyes to keep her looking at the camera, though I don't like that Delema's eyes are blocked now and I cant move the glasses down anymore,and taking them off or moving her head ruins her smug look. I think that is it this time around,  as always comments, crits, and advise welcome

carefull of the CPU rendering some PC's will trip off because it actually tries to surpass 100% I think its a bug because taking the CPU out of rendering and only using the GPU wont crash unless you really over pack a scene beyond your RAM's capacity

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@dragoneyes002

I use cpu only and have had my ram at 100% on numerous occasions without the laptop crashing.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Coryllon said:

ok I scaled some of the flowers to various sizes, turrned  a few, and dulled the grass and flowers to look more realistic. Also shrank the dimples they made her look TOO old. Also changes her hair color slightly so it woudl stand out a slight bit more

Subtle changes but they make such a difference.

Gordig said:

Posing 2 interacting figures is a challenge.  Well done.

I find the light a little too bright.  It is washing out the skin and dress of the female figure.

Nicely done.  I am looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Thanks. I closed the aperture a bit to get less blowout. Maybe I should disable the bloom filter entirely.

Also, they're BOTH female.

Sorry.  I meant female human figure as opposed to the female centaur figure.  I should have been more specific.

sueya said:

I have softened and lowered the strength of the shadows for the version of Dante with overhead light

He is really looking good sueya.  You have definitely caught that bad boy attitude in his posing.

So, After going through the comments and suggestions, and losing my second render to a mysterious computer crash ( as in it was rendering when I laid down for a nap and when I woke up the computer was on the log in screen), I have my first set of adjustments.

I like this much better.  I love the feathers on her belt. Where they there before? 

well you asked for a panoramic view of the second entry plus a few changes in posture so here it is in mostly raw form rendered in Daz3d studio 4.10 with despecling and a couple minor fixes

Stay toonedI got an inspiration that may be perfect for this theme I've been working and the portrait challenge

Great posing.  She really looks relaxed.  Nice addition of the book.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,796

Looks very good, I like the changes! One more idea for this one is to add some depth of field with the focus on the face.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,068

I have been able to sit in front of a computer (as opposed to a tablet) for the first time in a week, having had a hernia repair operation on the 9th of July. It has meant I've at last been able to do something about the reflection in the  figure's eye in the 'To the Wok Festival' image. I think this will be my final iteration on this image given how much 30 mins in front of the PC took out of me earlier.

Regards,

Richard

Wok Chick 2 R02.png
    1200 x 1152 - 1M
  • next in the bite lip line: Kylas curiosity

done in Daz3D studio 4.10 with minor post prod.

KylasCuriosity1b.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 752K
  • dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited July 2019

Fishtales said:

@dragoneyes002

I use cpu only and have had my ram at 100% on numerous occasions without the laptop crashing.

I was talking about the CPU load pushing for 100% + the RAM can run at 100%+ because of virtual memory and shared memory with the GPU 

that is not true of the CPU when its pressed to surpass the 100% mark some mother boards shut down in self defense or the heat limit triggers obviously some factors such as OCing come into play on the heat issues 

but running the renders using only the GPU tends to be more stable especially when loading a scene with 15 characters and a full background the same scene done on the CPU crashes at less than nine active characters

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Fishtales said:

@dragoneyes002

I was talking about the CPU load pushing for 100% + the RAM can run at 100%+ because of virtual memory and shared memory with the GPU 

that is not true of the CPU when its pressed to surpass the 100% mark some mother boards shut down in self defense or the heat limit triggers obviously some factors such as OCing come into play on the heat issues 

but running the renders using only the GPU tends to be more stable especially when loading a scene with 15 characters and a full background the same scene done on the CPU crashes at less than nine active characters

The CPU on my laptop runs at 100% during all renders and the ram can be sitting at 97%, I have on occasion seen it at 100% but still the laptop doesn't shut down. Temperatures for the motherboard, CPU and GPU, which I believe is built into the CPU, can be in the 80's ºC. So far the only things to be replaced was the fan, which wore out, and the hard drive :)

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,068

I used my current rendering PC at work for 6 years (until it was replaced and in the design office we were offered first dibs before they were skipped) and never got more than 12.5% CPU with SolidWorks - it could only use one logical core. DS4.10 & then 4.11 uses all 8 logical cores and 100% CPU. Nice to see. I've never got over 15Gb ram usage even with huge design models (13000+ parts) and DS hasn't been over 12Gb for me yet.

Regards,

Richard

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

Sorry.  I meant female human figure as opposed to the female centaur figure.  I should have been more specific.

Heh, I knew what you meant. 

Coryllon said:

@Gordig - Love this so far, if I had a suggestion or two it would be, drop the ligthing maybe 20% and check the material for the hair. if it's 3Delight and you are using IRAY it'll give you the complete BLACK hair that you see on the centaur with no gloss, texture, or shading.

It was the Iray texture, but it needed some fiddling with specularity to make the individual dreads pop. Other color presets for that hair don't seem to have the same problem. Also, when you say "drop the lighting", what do you mean? Intensity? Luminance?

The human figure's hair could do with some gravity. At the moment it seems to be following the line of her neck, rather than a downwards pull. Can the hair be morphed to be visible in part of the rectangle between her head, shoulder, arm and centaur? On her right side it would also be good to move the hair off to her left.

Not that particular hair, it turns out. Between morphs and posing, I could make it fall behind her, but that also totally ruined the shape. Thankfully, I just happened to have picked up Channen hair in a recent sale, and that contains a shape preset that needed only slight tweaking to get a more realistic look.

I have been able to sit in front of a computer (as opposed to a tablet) for the first time in a week, having had a hernia repair operation on the 9th of July. It has meant I've at last been able to do something about the reflection in the  figure's eye in the 'To the Wok Festival' image. I think this will be my final iteration on this image given how much 30 mins in front of the PC took out of me earlier.

Regards,

Richard

I hope you heal quickly.

next in the bite lip line: Kylas curiosity

This one works quite well.  That thin line of light really works.  Is she looking through a crack in a door?  In a fence? 

• dragoneyes002  said: carefull of the CPU rendering some PC's will trip off because it actually tries to surpass 100% I think its a bug because taking the CPU out of rendering and only using the GPU wont crash unless you really over pack a scene beyond your RAM's capacity

I run all of my renders in Iray and my cpu pegs at 100% on just about every one of them.

I'm currently running a $600 Wal-Mart special (yes I actually bought it at wal-mart) HP Pavilion with Windows 10 pro, onboard Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
    and only 8gb ram, Though on the up side it has an 8th gen Core I5 + 8400 processor . unfortunally all of my renders are cpu only, but yes I have had some crashes due to overload on the system resources( Daz Studio 4.11 does not play nice with spotify).  Still trying to decide if I want to put the money into this rig or get a new one that is built for this type of stuff, need more hd space anyway my 1tb drive is almost full :p

@Kismet2012 thank you, and yes the feathers are part of the belt, went back to see where it was from the belt is from Ktarya Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) and Genesis 8 Female(s) and the gloves are from Wilde Rhoads for Genesis.

Marjoe

• Fishtales said:

Fishtales said:

@dragoneyes002

The CPU on my laptop runs at 100% during all renders and the ram can be sitting at 97%, I have on occasion seen it at 100% but still the laptop doesn't shut down. Temperatures for the motherboard, CPU and GPU, which I believe is built into the CPU, can be in the 80's ºC. So far the only things to be replaced was the fan, which wore out, and the hard drive :)

yet you have ignored the part where I said "SOME PC's" its not universal its also potentially only on CPU's with certain limitations or motherboards with the same. I can run a 3DSMAX render for 60 hrs at 100% CPU load while DAZ3D can shut the system down 20 minutes into a render when its running on CPU. so the evidence points to the program not the hardware. I'm as thew Original poster has pointed out am NOT the only person that DAZ shuts down on. the fix I've used is not use the CPU to render and no more crashing unless I surpass the memories ability to handle the load IE its 15 active characters in the scene at 16 characters it will crash before even getting started to render 

by the way running at 100% is NOT<<<<<< unusual trying to get over 100% is 

100% load on multi thread multi core CPU's does not mean each thread will be pinned at 100% the operating system will delegate a % for its own use and in most cases one thread will be bellow the rest as a reserve depends on the set up if its intel or AMD the bios ....etc....

• next in the bite lip line: Kylas curiosity

This one works quite well.  That thin line of light really works.  Is she looking through a crack in a door?  In a fence? 

that would be up to your imagination. I did not add any event shadows for just that reason. got really tempted to add a hand reaching out of the dark from behind but decided not to make it a typical horror shoot

• @dragoneyes002 - There are so many things that work right with this.  The band of light, the lip bite, the mischevious glint in her eye!  I think you nailed this one.  

@richardandtracy_e725004c1a - This is really powerful and you brought the eyes up well.  Iconic.

@marjoemartino - Subtle changes proffer great reward.  It started of really good but it definitely sparkles more now.  These 2 belong in their own graphic novel

@galaxy - I think you've really improved the composition.  The strong diagonal is excellent and the lighting is soft and evokes haunting memories.  The hair is a disaster though and I'm not sure why.  It almost looks like there is a geoshell on it.  I don't think that any fault of your composition and lighting.  If you haven't tried deleting it and reloading you might try that.   I would also echo the thought to pull the toes back just a bit from the edge of the frame so they don't look like the tip have been cutoff.  I really like the pensive expression.

@no nose - It was really educational to watch this one evolve.  I like it very much and I htink you found the best of it.

@sueya - This guy is totally the badboy and you're gonna get nothing but trouble hanging out with him.  Shooting down on him was a smart choice.  I had originally thought to soften his shadow more but getting him closer to the wall really makes a hard shadow work for him.  I know you had a lot of artistic choices to make here but I think you chose well.  He makes a statement....but....if my daughter ever brings him home to meet the parents...well..lets just say you may not be rendering him anymore...muwhahahahahhahah.

@gordig - I would echo the suggestion that you need to adjust the hair so that it flows with gravity.  I really like her expression, it's hard to capture a laugh in expressions without it looking really cartoonish.  I think if you moved the whole view a little more to the left third it would help the composition.  You might also try some DOF...not a lot...just a little so the eye is drawn to her expression because it is a really strong player in a strong vision.

@rcbsgreenpanzer - Sooooo ture....I've been (in my imagination) building my new machine because my current rig, while awesome for some functions, is just not really Daz optimized (AMD card and Mac multi core CPU).  'ULTIMATE' machines are ulimate for gaming and we have a totally different focus here.  As @Galaxy pointed out...not always what a gaming machine is gonna give you. :(   Barring any more new transmissions for my truck I think I may be able to upgrade in3-6 months.  So input is always greatly appreciated.

• Portrait with Cat.

Portrait with Cat

Current plans:
     - Mute the background and manually supply some light. I can use the practice figuring out how to light a scene anyhow.
     - Find some way to fix the pink patches on her right thigh. They don't show up in either 3Delight or the IRay preview!
     - The posing looks a little stiff to me, but maybe that's correct for sitting for a portrait?
     - I should probably play with the render settings some. The tone mapping is currently all default.

• Portrait with Cat.

Portrait with Cat

Current plans:
     - Mute the background and manually supply some light. I can use the practice figuring out how to light a scene anyhow.
     - Find some way to fix the pink patches on her right thigh. They don't show up in either 3Delight or the IRay preview!
     - The posing looks a little stiff to me, but maybe that's correct for sitting for a portrait?
     - I should probably play with the render settings some. The tone mapping is currently all default.

pink patches are clipping. expand the thigh of the pants or if you don't have that morph expand all.

if you made the right forarm lay flat on the top of the block she would be arched back more letting you twist her upper torso a bit to get the left sholder forward to look more like she wants to pet the cat and just happens to be posing for a pic

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

@ariochsnowpaw The hair is a disaster due to glossiness (other reasons may be) of the hair. As Fishtales suggested turning the glossines down on the hair. I tried it and white spot is gone and hair is also looks better. Currently learning some unavoidable settings to achieve my goal i.e. get the final render without postwork  (DOF, Lights, morph properly to indicate air flow, gravity etc. and other useful settings). Needless to say if text or loge etc. need to input/add, postwork is necessary but still it will require less time and effiort to do postwork if the render is a complete render.

• CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 280

@gordig - I think either would help. it's seems a little bleached out. colors are really bright and hard to look like, like when you walk out of a dark house into the sunlight.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172
    edited July 2019

@gordig - I would echo the suggestion that you need to adjust the hair so that it flows with gravity.  I really like her expression, it's hard to capture a laugh in expressions without it looking really cartoonish.  I think if you moved the whole view a little more to the left third it would help the composition.  You might also try some DOF...not a lot...just a little so the eye is drawn to her expression because it is a really strong player in a strong vision.

Are you referring to the most recent version of the render, where I've replaced the hair? Is this more what you had in mind as far as framing and focus?

Coryllon said:

@gordig - I think either would help. it's seems a little bleached out. colors are really bright and hard to look like, like when you walk out of a dark house into the sunlight.

I knocked the F-stop all the way back to its original settings.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Version G here, starting to make use of solme DoF. Using the settings as they were when I activated it on my active camara.

july2019g.png
    1068 x 872 - 1M
  • CoryllonCoryllon Posts: 280

@gordig - that looks better, I need to take a look at this when I'm NOT at work for a moment and see if maybe just this laptop monitor is causing it to look overly bright. no one else seems to see it. so it's probably just me. I am aware what an irish looks like in the sun in bright clothing :) I am irish after all. 

• CarlCGCarlCG Posts: 114
    edited July 2019

Here is my second entry, I'm still working on revisions to the first.

@Kismet2012 @ariochsnowpaw @Linwelly @punky   Thank you all very much for your input on my first image, it's much appreciated. That lip-piercing image was really helpful @Kismet2012. I tried some minor DOF and darkening of the cityscape on this second entry. As I mentioned previously, I really wanted to capture the full-body/outfit in this image, not just the face... but should the crop be tighter on either side in your opinion? Also wasn't sure if I should make the depth shallower, that is, to blur the interior background more. Thank you again, in advance, for any feedback I recieve on this image.

Alexa Drake 03 (with DOF).jpg
    3720 x 1900 - 7M
    Post edited by CarlCG on