What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Semplification of the parameters, allowing more customization
    • More options for the default lights
    • More dForce, not just for clothes
    • "Display Optimization" setting on "Best" by default
    • The possibility to use OpenGL rendering with Iray too: right now, if you have a nice preview and try OpenGL, it saves the shaded version instead, like if you just moved the scene.
    • Batch rendering
    • Included converters for hair, clothes and poses
    • Easier Smar Content: I'd like a cloud save of my metadatas, including my freebies or stuff bought from other stores.
    • Better utilization of resources:
      • If the scene goes over the VRAM, could the GPU render at least a part of it?
      • Could the software leave at least one core of the CPU untouched during rendering, allowing smooth utilization of the PC in the meanwhile, or even realizing other scenes with Daz?
      • Calculator of VRAM usage, even if it needs one minute or so, telling you what weights how much.

Oh my, I've just noticed that this thread is from 2012, I didn't think the version 4 had been around for so long! :D

Just because it's been around a while, is not a reason to move to 5. The software is free; producing new versions costs. A new SDK (what would take it to 5) will have additional cost implications and likely break existing plugins.

You don't need to wait for Studio 5 for some of these, well likely all are available now, or could be introduced into 4?

1. Not sure what you mean.

2. V5 not required - lights can be added; defaults can be changed.

3. Hair, and indeed anything you add the dForce modifier too will work.

4. V5 not required.

5. New render engines can be added without a new compile (V5) IRAY was.

6. There is a script somewhere for batch rendering, and I believe a product too.

7. Again V5 not required; converters can be created by PAs (and are), so inclusion is not down to version number.

8. I don't use (and loathe) smart content, so can't offer an opinion here

9. a: That's down to the render engine, not Studio.

9. b: You can change the affinity yourself; no idea if it could be automated. It can be managed via Task Manager. I do and I exempt different cores to give them a rest. :)

9. c: There is a product that will do that iirc.

I would still love to know what this nervana (that is Studio 5) will offer to folks - other than a flashy new number. I seldom (if ever?) get replies.

Thank you for your answer! :D It's a list of what I'd like to see in general in future updates, not specifically in the 5th version of Daz! :)

I mean that sometimes there are a lot of useless parameters you'll never use around, and that's confusing. It would be good to select the ones you actually use, but in general, not on every single item.

I know there are many great products for Daz, but some core features would be good for it by default, such as the Batch Render...I'm checking everyday when it goes on sale, 20$ is not a purchase I make with a light heart, even if I've already spent much more on the store! ^^

Really? You could disable some cores usage from Daz only? I'll look into it, thanks!

And the "Display Optimization" stuff it's easy to implement, but it's fundamental: it REVOLUTIONIZED my whole Daz experience, I was so angy that I had all that stutter for a whole year without any reason!!!

You can use a Batch script to change priority and afinity.

Presuming you're Windows 10; the image shows Adobe CEF Helper.exe  (you would scroll through the list and right click on the Studio.exe to set them for Studio (or whatever application you wish to change).

1. Open Task Manager (WindowsKey-X is a very useful little menu, available since Windows 8.0).

2. Switch to Details Tab.

3. Scroll down to find Studio (or whatever - note that it must be running).

4. Right Click on chosen application. then unchech two processors (presuming your processor has hyperthreading; both Intel and AMD have processors with it, but not all. All Ryzen and Threadripper do (iirc), Intel it isn't as easy to determine).

The second image (also available in the Task Manger), displays variatios information; click on CPU, Cores (bottom of the window) and Logical Processors (if Hyperthreaded) will detail that there are twice as many as Cores.

Edit:

when unchecking cores to disable (if doing main core and the hyperthreaded core), select the odd numbered core and the one above (eg: 1 and zero, 7 and 6).

Thank you, you're so kind, I'll definitely check this out! :D

You're welcome.

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Semplification of the parameters, allowing more customization
    • More options for the default lights
    • More dForce, not just for clothes
    • "Display Optimization" setting on "Best" by default
    • The possibility to use OpenGL rendering with Iray too: right now, if you have a nice preview and try OpenGL, it saves the shaded version instead, like if you just moved the scene.
    • Batch rendering
    • Included converters for hair, clothes and poses
    • Easier Smar Content: I'd like a cloud save of my metadatas, including my freebies or stuff bought from other stores.
    • Better utilization of resources:
      • If the scene goes over the VRAM, could the GPU render at least a part of it?
      • Could the software leave at least one core of the CPU untouched during rendering, allowing smooth utilization of the PC in the meanwhile, or even realizing other scenes with Daz?
      • Calculator of VRAM usage, even if it needs one minute or so, telling you what weights how much.

Oh my, I've just noticed that this thread is from 2012, I didn't think the version 4 had been around for so long! :D

Just because it's been around a while, is not a reason to move to 5. The software is free; producing new versions costs. A new SDK (what would take it to 5) will have additional cost implications and likely break existing plugins.

You don't need to wait for Studio 5 for some of these, well likely all are available now, or could be introduced into 4?

1. Not sure what you mean.

2. V5 not required - lights can be added; defaults can be changed.

3. Hair, and indeed anything you add the dForce modifier too will work.

4. V5 not required.

5. New render engines can be added without a new compile (V5) IRAY was.

6. There is a script somewhere for batch rendering, and I believe a product too.

7. Again V5 not required; converters can be created by PAs (and are), so inclusion is not down to version number.

8. I don't use (and loathe) smart content, so can't offer an opinion here

9. a: That's down to the render engine, not Studio.

9. b: You can change the affinity yourself; no idea if it could be automated. It can be managed via Task Manager. I do and I exempt different cores to give them a rest. :)

9. c: There is a product that will do that iirc.

I would still love to know what this nervana (that is Studio 5) will offer to folks - other than a flashy new number. I seldom (if ever?) get replies.

Thank you for your answer! :D It's a list of what I'd like to see in general in future updates, not specifically in the 5th version of Daz! :)

I mean that sometimes there are a lot of useless parameters you'll never use around, and that's confusing. It would be good to select the ones you actually use, but in general, not on every single item.

I know there are many great products for Daz, but some core features would be good for it by default, such as the Batch Render...I'm checking everyday when it goes on sale, 20$ is not a purchase I make with a light heart, even if I've already spent much more on the store! ^^

Really? You could disable some cores usage from Daz only? I'll look into it, thanks!

And the "Display Optimization" stuff it's easy to implement, but it's fundamental: it REVOLUTIONIZED my whole Daz experience, I was so angy that I had all that stutter for a whole year without any reason!!!

You can use a Batch script to change priority and afinity.

Presuming you're Windows 10; the image shows Adobe CEF Helper.exe  (you would scroll through the list and right click on the Studio.exe to set them for Studio (or whatever application you wish to change).

1. Open Task Manager (WindowsKey-X is a very useful little menu, available since Windows 8.0).

2. Switch to Details Tab.

3. Scroll down to find Studio (or whatever - note that it must be running).

4. Right Click on chosen application. then unchech two processors (presuming your processor has hyperthreading; both Intel and AMD have processors with it, but not all. All Ryzen and Threadripper do (iirc), Intel it isn't as easy to determine).

The second image (also available in the Task Manger), displays variatios information; click on CPU, Cores (bottom of the window) and Logical Processors (if Hyperthreaded) will detail that there are twice as many as Cores.

Edit:

when unchecking cores to disable (if doing main core and the hyperthreaded core), select the odd numbered core and the one above (eg: 1 and zero, 7 and 6).

Thank you, you're so kind, I'll definitely check this out! :D

Alternatively you can also use a freeware program called battle encoder shirase that you can use to limit a program's maximum core usage. I use it personally and set Daz to -33 (I interpret it as only allowing Daz 67% of the CPU) and I can browse the internet while I render.

I'm tempted to ask, why use a piece of software to do what takes a few clicks; the software itself uses resources, perhaps at a time when resources may be tight - as they are required for something else?

I guess I did ask.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116

You're great nicstt: your tip works! :D

Even with just one core and its 2nd thread free, my PC is much more usable during rendering!!! :D

Thank you Paradigm, I didn't know that, but I've already solved that problem with nicstt's help! ^^

Glad it helped.

• AmKrisAmKris Posts: 2

1. Need graphic tablet support, because DAZ sliders sometimes too "sensitive". E.g. I moved the slider slowly but suddenly jump from 30° to 300°.

I believe this is tablet compatibility issues, because Poser has same problem if I turn off the tablet/pen mode. 

2. Ability to insert Hex colors, currently need to input RGB manually.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,742

Two small things that might have been mentioned before (I didn't go through 75 pages of posts):

- The option "Always" for the Auto Headlamp, additionally to the current "Never" and "When No Scene Lights".

- When you set up a light, it comes with "lines": arrows for distant lights, a cone for spotlights, a kind of "star" for point lights. It would be helpful if I were able to make those lines invisible without cancelling the effect of the light itself.

• Hylas said:

Two small things that might have been mentioned before (I didn't go through 75 pages of posts):

- The option "Always" for the Auto Headlamp, additionally to the current "Never" and "When No Scene Lights".

- When you set up a light, it comes with "lines": arrows for distant lights, a cone for spotlights, a kind of "star" for point lights. It would be helpful if I were able to make those lines invisible without cancelling the effect of the light itself.

Cmd/ctrl L will turn off the rpeview of lights and give you a headlight effect

You can remove most of the elements by adjusting the opacity settings under Display>Scene View in the Parameters pane

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    AmKris said:

1. Need graphic tablet support, because DAZ sliders sometimes too "sensitive". E.g. I moved the slider slowly but suddenly jump from 30° to 300°.

You can adjust the sensitivity of the sliders — put the mouse pointer over the slider you're trying, and click on the "cogwheel" icon in the top-right corner, then select "Parameter Settings" from the drop-down menu. Check the Parameter Settings dialog for the "Nudge" value — this can have a very high default value, sometimes as high as 1.0 which will cause the slider to go wheeewaytheheckoutthere at the slightest movement. Reduce the nudge value to a small fraction, 0.001 or even less, and see what difference that makes to the slider sensitivity.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited January 2019

If possible, a network rendering option like Vue's RenderCow. 

Also like Vue, a drop to ground option. I select Victoria 4 or Genesis 8 figure and hover above the ground plane. Select drop to floor and the figure is now on the ground plane. I use it a lot in Vue.

Better manual / documentation for DAZ Studio.

A much easier rigging option for new base figures.

Post edited by kenmo on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749

Daz studio has a drop to floor feature for figures.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589

why not ask $ again for a more pro verion of the studio software? = you can hire more devs and develop faster/better tools, that not go down/broken with every upgrade so many great scripts/plugins lost.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    Fixme12 said:

why not ask $ again for a more pro verion of the studio software? = you can hire more devs and develop faster/better tools, that not go down/broken with every upgrade so many great scripts/plugins lost.

Because that didn't seem to work out last time, after about 6 months they set it free again and majorly pissed off a lot of people.

• Fixme12 said:

That makes a big assumption about how many people would pay.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited July 2019
    Fixme12 said:

The old carrara wasn't Free, poser also not... You pay if you like to play "more" a more pro Version With more tools... Not logic? How many would pay, i don't know? Since the whole poser community almost jump over to here.., i only guess it sounds better for resources and, back a bigger dev team, how many years are we waiting now? A Free Version to play With the content and a more pro for People that would love to do more like create, animate and so on Is this really such a bad Idea?
    Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • I would love to see better snapping and snap-to grid features, making Daz kind of like The Sims for artists.

This would allow for far greater customization- instead of having fireplaces, windows, and doors pre built into walls, you could mix and match walls, doors, windows, fireplaces, and all to your liking. Instead of having to have floors pre sized and walls made to match the size of the floors, you could have the option of, say, 5x5 floor tiles and 5x15 wall tiles.

For artists it would be an invaluable tool in setting up custom scenes and settings. As it stands I sometimes have to export into Blender or Maya to make adjustements before I can finally upload everything into Clip Studio.

• I would love to see better snapping and snap-to grid features, making Daz kind of like The Sims for artists.

This would allow for far greater customization- instead of having fireplaces, windows, and doors pre built into walls, you could mix and match walls, doors, windows, fireplaces, and all to your liking. Instead of having to have floors pre sized and walls made to match the size of the floors, you could have the option of, say, 5x5 floor tiles and 5x15 wall tiles.

For artists it would be an invaluable tool in setting up custom scenes and settings. As it stands I sometimes have to export into Blender or Maya to make adjustements before I can finally upload everything into Clip Studio.

Have you looked at the options in the Tool Settings pane with a posing tool active?

• Yupyup! I actually just discovered it yesterday which was what got me on this train of thought. I found it while futzing with the MICK creator and started thinking how much it reminded me of the sims, and how much more we could do if we could further customize scenes. Instead of having things pre built into walls and having walls server certain functions, if we could have separate pieces we could have endless customization possibilities.

The snapping we have is still a little fiddly, though I like it better than Blenders snap, but I understand it would be a logistical headscratcher to create a more enhanced snapping system with objects that could snap to surfaces. Maxis has been at it for 20 years with The Sims, I cant imagine implementing that kind of coding now would be easy.

It would still be so effing cool though.

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    Fixme12 said:
    Fixme12 said:

The old carrara wasn't Free, poser also not... You pay if you like to play "more" a more pro Version With more tools... Not logic? How many would pay, i don't know? Since the whole poser community almost jump over to here.., i only guess it sounds better for resources and, back a bigger dev team, how many years are we waiting now? A Free Version to play With the content and a more pro for People that would love to do more like create, animate and so on Is this really such a bad Idea?

+1 cannot see how having a pro version would not draw people in If you had a raft of exciting tools  .

You have blender  free which is outstripping daz functuality  So the point that Daz is free so cannot throw resources at it seems lame.

Also with some of the big boys in the Graphics world  either have or thinking of going down the subscription route making the use of their programs more affordable  

Daz has fab characters which I would make a informed guess that  their customer base use almost exclusively in studio 

having a pro version i think is a great Idea.

How many forum posts have had comments on post work in photoshop  I use mudbox for painting  People are using paid up programs in their workflow already

I would go for a pro version if it had better render engine  and some exciting but relevant  tools

• I would like a more efficient way to select scene items to turn off/on their visibility (all the parented items, for example).  Or is there a way and I haven't stumbled across it, yet?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

If you create a group of all the parented items you can turn off visibility for the whole group.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

vray

renderman renderer

hair strands with true curves

bridge to and from carrara

genesis with real toes bones 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

Since this thread has popped up again, I have something I would want to see, VR support. I got an Oculus Rift S 3 weeks ago and have been playing around with Unity and VR and being in a virtual envrionment, having a lifesize DAZ figure next to you and being about to pose them by several options, one being to actually grab an ankle or wrist with your hands to pose them is simply mindblowing to me. Walking around detailed sets that I used to only see in my renders is amazing also. The perfect anology for the difference is akin to looking into a room and seeing a birthday party as opposed to actually being in the room with the party, it is that different of an experience.

Seeing mesh move in real time also makes me want to learn animation since I can totally see the benefits and results now as opposed to trying to do it with Iray. Granted this should be as an option since there are those that don't want the VR experience or purchase/use a headset, and I understand since I can be more precise with posing in Unity in desktop mode. I find setting up the scene first in desktop mode makes more sense for the virtual experience later, kinda like setting up a scene for a render. Since I got my VR setup and unity I haven't touched Iray or done a render in 3 weeks. Imagine spending hours setting up a scene and then getting to experience it first hand other than just looking at a render of it. Granted this is just me messing around inside a game engine, but the possibilities in my mind are staggering after getting a taste of what could be. I'd love to see DAZ run with this as opposed to someone else.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

I got an Oculus Rift S 3 weeks ago and have been playing around with Unity and VR and being in a virtual envrionment, having a lifesize DAZ figure next to you and being about to pose them by several options, one being to actually grab an ankle or wrist with your hands to pose them is simply mindblowing to me.

Have not looked for a while at Daz to Unity asset flow.  Am guessing the JCMs don't port?  How do you like the deforms without all the Daz enhancing?  Like thigh bends without Zevos extra product would drive me crazy.  And based on your renders you seem to be very focussed on the higher to highest levels of realism.  Just curious.  But that does sound pretty amazing with VR.  Sounds like it's getting close to the time I need to check this out too.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

For the figures to load without every morph set that I have already in them

Set up something like we had in poser with the morph injections where you could have as many or as few as you wanted

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited July 2019

I haven't read this entire thread, but I'd like to see version 5 run on the latest version of the Macintosh OS, 10.15. I'm mentioning this because 10.15 is dropping OpenGL and OpenCL in favor of Apple's Metal. Does that mean DS won't be able to render with 10.15? I wish I could get some assurances from DAZ that they are not going to discontinue a Macintosh version, nor ignore the new OS with Metal.

Post edited by inquire on

Set up something like we had in poser with the morph injections where you could have as many or as few as you wanted

God no please - I really don't want to go back to all that hassel. If you like the way Poser does things then use Poser.

scorpio said:

God no please - I really don't want to go back to all that hassel. If you like the way Poser does things then use Poser.

What I don't like is having 900 different morphs to sort through to find the correct one

There is no real reason to have every morph load in every figure

scorpio said:

What I don't like is having 900 different morphs to sort through to find the correct one

There are reasons, for example this way I have everything there when I want to dial spin, I don't suddenly have to pause my work flow to go find where the inj is for a certain morph I might decide is needed, this would take a lot longer to do than simple typing in the search bar.

scorpio said:
    scorpio said:

There are reasons, for example this way I have everything there when I want to dial spin, I don't suddenly have to pause my work flow to go find where the inj is for a certain morph I might decide is needed, this would take a lot longer to do than simple typing in the search bar.

If you can get usable results from the search bar I envy you as I very seldom can even get it to function and when it does I have days worth of hits to look at provided it hasn't crashed

And once again there's still no reason to have every morph loaded in the figure especially when there are numerous ones that all do the same thing I mean really how many breast large morphs or angry face morphs or open hand close hand fist do you need  in the same figure