What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

I'm using 4.10.123 I'm pretty sure. However, I'm also on a Mac. It's possible that what the program is invoking for me is the MacOS color picker. I *definitely* do not recognize the screen that you show.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited January 2019
    tkdrobert said:

I would like a color sampler like there is in Photoshop.  I have a hard time matching colors when I kit-bash different items, in certain situaltions. 

Hold down alt/opt as you click on a colour chip, then - keeping the modifier key and mouse button down - drag out over the colour you wish to sample. Release mouse, then key

I can't get it to work.  I'm on Windows BTW.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    JOdel said:

I'm using 4.10.123 I'm pretty sure. However, I'm also on a Mac. It's possible that what the program is invoking for me is the MacOS color picker. I *definitely* do not recognize the screen that you show.

Yeah I'm running Windows

edited January 2019
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I would like a color sampler like there is in Photoshop.  I have a hard time matching colors when I kit-bash different items, in certain situaltions. 

Hold down alt/opt as you click on a colour chip, then - keeping the modifier key and mouse button down - drag out over the colour you wish to sample. Release mouse, then key

I did it wrong the 1st time.  When I tried it again. I mouse clicked and held the Alt key, with my cursor over the Diffuse color bar, however my scene blanked out.  I was able to pick colors from my nterface but not from my scene.

Edit: I could sample things outside of DAZ so that's still useful.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I'd like to be able to just place any pic I want in the environment tab as backdrop and not have to constrain its size, and to be able to move it around. I find it frustrating that the size of the backdrop must conform to the proportions of the window. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited January 2019
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I did it wrong the 1st time.  When I tried it again. I mouse clicked and held the Alt key, with my cursor over the Diffuse color bar, however my scene blanked out.  I was able to pick colors from my nterface but not from my scene.

There's this availble.

https://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio

Post edited by scorpio on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    scorpio said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

There's this availble.

https://www.daz3d.com/color-picker-for-daz-studio

Yea, that should be integrated into DAZ Studio code.  Not sure if our dearly departed friend would have wanted that or not but it is brilliant in so many ways and I ALWAYS forget I have that tool, I've used it in the past, must remember to use it! LOL 

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,047

A different color scheme for the fonts.  The dark gray font on a darger gray background (i.e. the default) can be very hard to read on smaller monitors (even on my 18.3" laptop).  I can FINALLY read these on a 32" monitor, but it's still not the easiest thing to read.

This applies mainly to the 'greyed out' parameter sliders, but readability should be the most important thing in these situations, not artistic license 'cuz some person thinks it looks cool.

Yes, there was a way to partially customize this in Daz Studio 4, but the fonts are only broken down into a couple of categories for color choices, so this also changes things that you might have been happy with already.  So breaking down the 'color categories' into more subgroups would be preferable in this situation, or better yet, just don't use two colors that are so close together to each other that it negatively affects readability.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I’m not sure what the consensus was about the color wheel, but it’s a Mac OS thing. I use Mac and Windows, and I’ve always felt the color wheel is a little small... it seems a lot of programs on Macs default to it... or at least used to...earlier versions of Poser did.

I’ve always liked bigger color picker windows, it seems easier to get a feel of the color.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

I'd like

• Semplification of the parameters, allowing more customization
    • More options for the default lights
    • More dForce, not just for clothes
    • "Display Optimization" setting on "Best" by default
    • The possibility to use OpenGL rendering with Iray too: right now, if you have a nice preview and try OpenGL, it saves the shaded version instead, like if you just moved the scene.
    • Batch rendering
    • Included converters for hair, clothes and poses
    • Easier Smar Content: I'd like a cloud save of my metadatas, including my freebies or stuff bought from other stores.
    • Better utilization of resources:
      • If the scene goes over the VRAM, could the GPU render at least a part of it?
      • Could the software leave at least one core of the CPU untouched during rendering, allowing smooth utilization of the PC in the meanwhile, or even realizing other scenes with Daz?
      • Calculator of VRAM usage, even if it needs one minute or so, telling you what weights how much.

Oh my, I've just noticed that this thread is from 2012, I didn't think the version 4 had been around for so long! :D

A different color scheme for the fonts.  The dark gray font on a darger gray background (i.e. the default) can be very hard to read on smaller monitors (even on my 18.3" laptop).  I can FINALLY read these on a 32" monitor, but it's still not the easiest thing to read.

This applies mainly to the 'greyed out' parameter sliders, but readability should be the most important thing in these situations, not artistic license 'cuz some person thinks it looks cool.

Yes, there was a way to partially customize this in Daz Studio 4, but the fonts are only broken down into a couple of categories for color choices, so this also changes things that you might have been happy with already.  So breaking down the 'color categories' into more subgroups would be preferable in this situation, or better yet, just don't use two colors that are so close together to each other that it negatively affects readability.

Totally agree here! 

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

While Rendering... CANCEL --> SAVE --> RESUME.

Currently you can't RESUME after SAVE-ing.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    mwokee said:

Or even Cancel-->Save-->Switch off computer-->Resume the render the next day

• RAMWolff said:

Totally agree here! 

Another agreement here. yes  Some of the items in the list are very difficult to read and I'm unable to find any adjustment to the font colors that helps.

Nath said:
    mwokee said:

Or even Cancel-->Save-->Switch off computer-->Resume the render the next day

I hate leaving a rendering computer unattended... because I know I will come back a find an error message or it’ll be on fire... computers hate being ignored while you do other things and they are working.

This would be an awesome feature.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    mwokee said:

Yes you can.

Cancel >File>Save last render

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• The possibility to use OpenGL rendering with Iray too: right now, if you have a nice preview and try OpenGL, it saves the shaded version instead, like if you just moved the scene.
    • Batch rendering
    • Easier Smar Content: I'd like a cloud save of my metadatas, including my freebies or stuff bought from other stores.
      • Could the software leave at least one core of the CPU untouched during rendering, allowing smooth utilization of the PC in the meanwhile, or even realizing other scenes with Daz?
      • Calculator of VRAM usage, even if it needs one minute or so, telling you what weights how much.

Oh my, I've just noticed that this thread is from 2012, I didn't think the version 4 had been around for so long! :D

Just because it's been around a while, is not a reason to move to 5. The software is free; producing new versions costs. A new SDK (what would take it to 5) will have additional cost implications and likely break existing plugins.

You don't need to wait for Studio 5 for some of these, well likely all are available now, or could be introduced into 4?

1. Not sure what you mean.

2. V5 not required - lights can be added; defaults can be changed.

3. Hair, and indeed anything you add the dForce modifier too will work.

4. V5 not required.

5. New render engines can be added without a new compile (V5) IRAY was.

6. There is a script somewhere for batch rendering, and I believe a product too.

7. Again V5 not required; converters can be created by PAs (and are), so inclusion is not down to version number.

8. I don't use (and loathe) smart content, so can't offer an opinion here

9. a: That's down to the render engine, not Studio.

9. b: You can change the affinity yourself; no idea if it could be automated. It can be managed via Task Manager. I do and I exempt different cores to give them a rest. :)

9. c: There is a product that will do that iirc.

I would still love to know what this nervana (that is Studio 5) will offer to folks - other than a flashy new number. I seldom (if ever?) get replies.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

I'd like movement to be as fast and fluid as it is in Blender (for example). This means both for zooming around to find different camera angles and for posing. I know the Iray preview window can't keep up, but my idea is for DS to judge how fast you're trying to move the viewport camera or whatever you're posing/dragging onscreen, and if you're going too fast for an Iray preview, temporarily show Lit Wireframe instead until you slow down or stop. Because such a change would be controversial--some folks would hate it passionately--there could be a performance setting allowing the user to choose whether to operate normally or auto-switch to Lit Wireframe during fast movement to speed up performance.

nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Batch rendering

Just because it's been around a while, is not a reason to move to 5. The software is free; producing new versions costs. A new SDK (what would take it to 5) will have additional cost implications and likely break existing plugins.

You don't need to wait for Studio 5 for some of these, well likely all are available now, or could be introduced into 4?

4. V5 not required.

6. There is a script somewhere for batch rendering, and I believe a product too.

7. Again V5 not required; converters can be created by PAs (and are), so inclusion is not down to version number.

9. b: You can change the affinity yourself; no idea if it could be automated. It can be managed via Task Manager. I do and I exempt different cores to give them a rest. :)

I would still love to know what this nervana (that is Studio 5) will offer to folks - other than a flashy new number. I seldom (if ever?) get replies.

Thank you for your answer! :D It's a list of what I'd like to see in general in future updates, not specifically in the 5th version of Daz! :)

I mean that sometimes there are a lot of useless parameters you'll never use around, and that's confusing. It would be good to select the ones you actually use, but in general, not on every single item.

I know there are many great products for Daz, but some core features would be good for it by default, such as the Batch Render...I'm checking everyday when it goes on sale, 20$ is not a purchase I make with a light heart, even if I've already spent much more on the store! ^^

Really? You could disable some cores usage from Daz only? I'll look into it, thanks!

And the "Display Optimization" stuff it's easy to implement, but it's fundamental: it REVOLUTIONIZED my whole Daz experience, I was so angy that I had all that stutter for a whole year without any reason!!!

• kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Batch rendering

4. V5 not required.

Thank you for your answer! :D It's a list of what I'd like to see in general in future updates, not specifically in the 5th version of Daz! :)

I mean that sometimes there are a lot of useless parameters you'll never use around, and that's confusing. It would be good to select the ones you actually use, but in general, not on every single item.

Make sure that you don't have Show Hidden Properties on, in the pane's option menu (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab). Also, you can click the gear icon on a slider to make it a favourite, then use the favourites group to see only those proeprties (favourites save with scenes, and with Character presets used to load a new figure

kameneko said:

I know there are many great products for Daz, but some core features would be good for it by default, such as the Batch Render...I'm checking everyday when it goes on sale, 20$ is not a purchase I make with a light heart, even if I've already spent much more on the store! ^^

Really? You could disable some cores usage from Daz only? I'll look into it, thanks!

And the "Display Optimization" stuff it's easy to implement, but it's fundamental: it REVOLUTIONIZED my whole Daz experience, I was so angy that I had all that stutter for a whole year without any reason!!!

I think it is not the default for thos with  lower-spec machines - we can launch DS and turn the setting up, they might not be able to launch and turn it down.

• How about the ability to move morphs and textures from any generation beginning at Michael 4 to whatever the current version of Genesis when version 5 comes out.
  • I'd like to be able to just place any pic I want in the environment tab as backdrop and not have to constrain its size, and to be able to move it around. I find it frustrating that the size of the backdrop must conform to the proportions of the window. 

I agree.
  • I think it would be better to go back to individual installers and specific work folders and a common install log reader. I have various things that as Studio 4.10 has update seems to have broken finding those things. So I currently have used 4.9, because even using the downloader installer has not corrected those issues.
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Batch rendering

4. V5 not required.

Make sure that you don't have Show Hidden Properties on, in the pane's option menu (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab). Also, you can click the gear icon on a slider to make it a favourite, then use the favourites group to see only those proeprties (favourites save with scenes, and with Character presets used to load a new figure

kameneko said:

I think it is not the default for thos with  lower-spec machines - we can launch DS and turn the setting up, they might not be able to launch and turn it down.

Thanks! :)

Why don't you ask at the first start if the user wants to turn it up? I've discovered this after one year of Daz, and I assure you I've met other people with the same experience! It's something very important IMHO, some people could even stop using Daz right away, thinking their system is not good enough. Many times, for example, I avoided checking out a pose twice, or adding a light, because of how everything was stuttering (it would have taken minutes to do something so simple, instead of seconds).

I don't know how easy that would be to implement, but there could be even be a "system analysis" at the first startup that automatically sets the default preferences based on your system, like on some videogames. Given that Daz already knows the hardware we're using, it could also be something like "hardware from the last 4 years? Display optimization on best".

edited January 2019

This is a simple suggestion, and probably one people will hate, but I often see new users confused by the menu window buttons... It might not be a bad idea to make them a little more noticeable...

Post edited by McGyver on

Like the suggestions McGyver 

• Ditto

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    McGyver said:

This is a simple suggestion, and probably one people will hate, but I often see new users confused by the menu window buttons... It might not be a bad idea to make them a little more noticeable...

Agreed. Over the last several years, "Argh, DAZ deleted my content!!!" is up there among the most common post topics I keep seeing — and in approximately 99.9% of cases, it's caused by someone closing a sub-tab section by clicking on one of these almost invisible buttons without realising it. They really need to be bigger and more obvious, especially the ones that are just a skinny little dash between two sub-tabs.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Batch rendering

4. V5 not required.

You can use a Batch script to change priority and afinity.

Presuming you're Windows 10; the image shows Adobe CEF Helper.exe  (you would scroll through the list and right click on the Studio.exe to set them for Studio (or whatever application you wish to change).

1. Open Task Manager (WindowsKey-X is a very useful little menu, available since Windows 8.0).

2. Switch to Details Tab.

3. Scroll down to find Studio (or whatever - note that it must be running).

4. Right Click on chosen application. then unchech two processors (presuming your processor has hyperthreading; both Intel and AMD have processors with it, but not all. All Ryzen and Threadripper do (iirc), Intel it isn't as easy to determine).

The second image (also available in the Task Manger), displays variatios information; click on CPU, Cores (bottom of the window) and Logical Processors (if Hyperthreaded) will detail that there are twice as many as Cores.

Edit:

when unchecking cores to disable (if doing main core and the hyperthreaded core), select the odd numbered core and the one above (eg: 1 and zero, 7 and 6).

set affinity.JPG
    1031 x 306 - 52K
    set affinity 2.JPG
    944 x 864 - 76K
    Post edited by nicstt on
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:
    nicstt said:
    kameneko said:

I'd like

• Batch rendering

4. V5 not required.

You can use a Batch script to change priority and afinity.

Presuming you're Windows 10; the image shows Adobe CEF Helper.exe  (you would scroll through the list and right click on the Studio.exe to set them for Studio (or whatever application you wish to change).

1. Open Task Manager (WindowsKey-X is a very useful little menu, available since Windows 8.0).

2. Switch to Details Tab.

3. Scroll down to find Studio (or whatever - note that it must be running).

4. Right Click on chosen application. then unchech two processors (presuming your processor has hyperthreading; both Intel and AMD have processors with it, but not all. All Ryzen and Threadripper do (iirc), Intel it isn't as easy to determine).

The second image (also available in the Task Manger), displays variatios information; click on CPU, Cores (bottom of the window) and Logical Processors (if Hyperthreaded) will detail that there are twice as many as Cores.

Edit:

when unchecking cores to disable (if doing main core and the hyperthreaded core), select the odd numbered core and the one above (eg: 1 and zero, 7 and 6).

Thank you, you're so kind, I'll definitely check this out! :D