Teen Jane 8

Comments

• studio 3xlstudio 3xl Posts: 78

Teen Jane 8 sort of looks like the actress Kirsten Dunst playing Mary Jane in Spider-Man to me. Perhaps that is why they named her Jane, and she looks to be in her 20’s pretending to be a teen.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,177

Jane gets a pretty resounding “meh” from me. Doesn’t look teeny enough, or really all that distinct from a number of other female models. 

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 901
    MelanieL said:

Not at all impressed with Jane, and she's definately not a teen.  But Ferin is fantastic, and Sara and Maisie are both quite nice.  Now if only they didn't require Jane as a base...

I love Ferin too - funnily enough, even though it says she is "for Teen Jane 8" there is nothing in the requirements about that (only Head and Body morphs) - it would be great if anyone who bought her can tell us: does she actually dial in any Teen Jane or not?

Oh, I'm so happy you like her! To answer your question, yes, it ought to show Teen Jane as a requirement. That's an oversight on my part. I'll check with the Daz folks and see if they can fix that. :) In the meantime, I can tell you that she does use Teen Jane's head and body morphs, both dialed in at 100%. Her look is definitely dependant on Teen Jane being part of the mix, as she looks completely different (and is taller) without that. Here are some quick renders of Ferin with and without Jane's morphs. Sorry for the graininess. I didn't have time to let the renders cook for more than a few minutes each. I hope that helps! 

Ferin + Jane.png
    618 x 800 - 297K
    Ferin Orc + Jane.png
    618 x 800 - 259K
    Ferin - Jane.png
    618 x 800 - 304K
    Ferin Orc - Jane.png
    618 x 800 - 334K
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2019

I don agree she looks to old to be a teen. Teens vary in looks and I see teens who look like this often although most teens in America are a bit more pudgy than she is.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,177
    edited July 2019

I don agree she looks to old to be a teen. Teens vary in looks and I see teens who look like this often although most teens in America are a bit more pudgy than she is.

Speaking for myself, the problem is not that Jane isn’t believable as a teen character, but rather that she’s not distinctly teen-like. Charlotte, for example, is not explicitly labeled as a teen character, but I think she looks just as teen-like as Jane does. A character like Teen Josie 7 or Leila, on the other hand, is immediately and unmistakably recognizable as a teenager. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited July 2019

Okay, initial impressions and comments...

• Eyebrows? They are integrated into the Makeup layer, which is a Diffuse overlay map. I don't like using 100% of that layer anyway (because it looks like clown stuff), so IMO... use the makeup options with no brows, and add fiber brows on top, which is what is in the image below.
    • Default... her Translucency is like really high? That gives the orange-y Jersey Shore look. I need to play with that setting.
    • Face... she looks underwhelming in the Viewport, but she renders nicely. It's one of those faces that gets better at render time.
    • Body... definitely not a Thorne pinup teen. It's a nice bit of younger female variety, I think. It's not Bethany 7 or Latonya 8 levels of radical shaping, but it's nice to have the variety.

(Sorry not sorry, but I didn't render this for details. I don't have the HD anyway. This was just a quickie for impressions.)

denoised_jane v2.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 430K
    Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
  • elliebeanelliebean Posts: 21

IMO, she looks like an old woman skin with a young body morph. Some of the figures for her look like existing ones (FWSA I'm looking at you...) already, again, just with different morphs. It's as if people have stopped trying.

Sunny was infinitely better than this, and looked like effort went into it.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2019

I think you can't really compare Thorne-style figures to realistic ones, as all Thorne characters have a youthful appearence, and are cute in a teen-like way to begin with.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

For me it’s just a “meh.” Nothing special, nothing horrible. If it was part of the $2.99 sale, I’d pick her up, but at normal price, not worth it to me unless some of the G8 bundles that I missed go on further sale to act as a freebie. Although I missed the Kala sale because I waited too long, and I really wanted Kala. Unless there’s some better financial incentive, I will probably wait for her. I do like some of the addons though, especially Emrys’ Aleena. Emrys is quickly becoming one of my favorite character creators... And I like the dforce Jane dress. I could go either way on this one, but I like the addons better than the actual bundle...  

My favorite teen so far is Tika, who CAN be made to look realistic with just a few tweaks. I went a little crazy rendering her when I got her, and still love her and think she looks way better than 90% of the promos. So waiting to see what forum members can do with Jane to see if that sways me... I’d love to see others’ renders, and they don’t need to be “out of the box” but made to look the way they choose to make her look with as many tweaks as needed... And hopefully revealed what tweaks were done (without necessarily being specific about numbers or percentages— just “slight tweak to nose, mouth”, or whatever.)

So when all the US people are done partying lol, would love to see renders!

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    Lasserine said:

She doesnt really look like a teen.

Teen means you add ten to something. Therefore, she's "thirteen teen".

I swear, each generation of the DAZ teens gets a little older looking. I put Josie 8 at 17-19.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151
    Quixotry said:
    MelanieL said:

Not at all impressed with Jane, and she's definately not a teen.  But Ferin is fantastic, and Sara and Maisie are both quite nice.  Now if only they didn't require Jane as a base...

I love Ferin too - funnily enough, even though it says she is "for Teen Jane 8" there is nothing in the requirements about that (only Head and Body morphs) - it would be great if anyone who bought her can tell us: does she actually dial in any Teen Jane or not?

Oh, I'm so happy you like her! To answer your question, yes, it ought to show Teen Jane as a requirement. That's an oversight on my part. I'll check with the Daz folks and see if they can fix that. :) In the meantime, I can tell you that she does use Teen Jane's head and body morphs, both dialed in at 100%. Her look is definitely dependant on Teen Jane being part of the mix, as she looks completely different (and is taller) without that. Here are some quick renders of Ferin with and without Jane's morphs. Sorry for the graininess. I didn't have time to let the renders cook for more than a few minutes each. I hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for that - yes, she does look quite different without Teen Jane, but I really like the skin(s). I'll have to have a think ...

• Dark-Elf said:
    Karuki said:

4. What young woman do you know called Jane?

Several, actually, ranging from 3 to 22

5. And yes.. yes another Caucasian female, with no real improvements on skin or anything.

I'm guessing you have seen that there are several non Caucasian characters released today for her as well?

My comment is about official Daz characters, add on characters just waste space on my hard drive.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited July 2019
    Maybe it would be helpful if someone posted a side-by-side comparison of all the Daz teens to see where this one fits.
    Post edited by Seven193 on
  • Got it - Jane looks like a mom who thinks she's still a teen and tries to act like how she used to 15 years ago.  And hangs around with her teen daughter's friends.

• Grim-RedGrim-Red Posts: 34

Okay, initial impressions and comments...

• Eyebrows? They are integrated into the Makeup layer, which is a Diffuse overlay map. I don't like using 100% of that layer anyway (because it looks like clown stuff), so IMO... use the makeup options with no brows, and add fiber brows on top, which is what is in the image below.
    • Default... her Translucency is like really high? That gives the orange-y Jersey Shore look. I need to play with that setting.
    • Face... she looks underwhelming in the Viewport, but she renders nicely. It's one of those faces that gets better at render time.
    • Body... definitely not a Thorne pinup teen. It's a nice bit of younger female variety, I think. It's not Bethany 7 or Latonya 8 levels of radical shaping, but it's nice to have the variety.

(Sorry not sorry, but I didn't render this for details. I don't have the HD anyway. This was just a quickie for impressions.)

To reduce the orange-ish look set the translucency to medium or low ( should be in the default options of the skin). With medium value you still have a nice looking tan that doesn't go overboard

https://www.daz3d.com/teen-jane-8 the render where she is standing infront of a wall with graffiti, red jacket.

Also if you use cold palette lights ( blue-ish or neutral bright grey) the orange tone is really decreased and the details of the skin are enhanced :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2019

A couple of renders of Teen Jane 8 "out of the box" but with her "Translucency Medium" setting and her skin's Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity lowered.

I really like her! I think she's quite cute! :D

G8F - Teen Jane 8 Out Of The Box but w Trans Med n DLS Lowered.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    G8F - Teen Jane 8 Out Of The Box but w Trans Med n DLS Lowered 2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552
    Lasserine said:

She doesnt really look like a teen.

Yeah. She's more like my aunt.

edited July 2019

lol I think a lot of you guys forget what real people actually look like. Just google "high school yearbook photos". As 3D artists we're so used to "baby faces" being the norm. 

These are yearbook photos of people who were teens at the time of the pictures being taken. 

Teen Jane 8 looks pretty realistic to me. *shrug*

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960
    Teen Jane looks like a teen to me too. She's cute I'm getting her
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited July 2019

Here's my first Jane render.

Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited July 2019

Well, to be fair, people look very different in their yearbook photos. I have friends who are totally unrecognizable in the yearbook photo because of how they dressed up. The makeup, the hair, the suit/dress, that all makes you look older. Even me, I look like I am in my late 20's for sure in my pic, but I assure you I did not look that old otherwise.

But it is true that people can vary quite wildly how old they look to others. Jane could pass for 16-18 for sure. But if she was 26 I would not think twice about it, either. I've seen plenty of real people to know it goes both ways. If you forced me to guess her age, I would actually say 20, because she has a certain college student look about her. She does not have the look of a high schooler.

The other thing about her is her skin. She has very strong skin pores, which while possible for teens, are something I wouldn't expect until a few years later. Just look at the pores on her here. Maybe she's a farmer's girl, or something.

The lipstick in this one is...eh...

This pic look like a totally different person, which may be the point to show some flexibility, but she looks much older, too.

The last pic is the best pic of the bunch. She looks charming here, and like a legit teen of 18 or so. This pic almost makes me want to purchase her.

However, it wouldn't be normal if I didn't have some negatives to point out. And I have some big gripes coming.

This just feels off to me. There was a time when the main Daz Original line contained some of the best Daz content available. I think we have arrived at a point to where that is no longer the case. There are some good releases, don't get me wrong, but the over all DO lineup does not strike me as "the best of Daz". And its been this way for some time. It goes past the orange skin tone of the default materials. The normal maps are unbalanced, too strong on the hands and feet. Hands and feet are very weak in general. Overall bump maps are too generic and make skin bumpy rather than look like skin. The bundles seriously need to include HD morphs with them. We have PAs who release HD characters for half the price or less, and these characters can much look better than DOs. PAs who include some HD expressions with the character, and so on. Its a bunch of little things, and together they add up to a lot. What is the point of buying Daz Originals if they are not on par with 3rd party releases that are cheaper AND better? So you can get the price down to the typical $46 for a pro bundle, but what are you really getting? A good PA model can be on sale for $10, and you can buy a bunch of clothes, poses, ect that you actually want for that price or better and make your little bundle that you will enjoy much more for about the same price.

Daz seriously needs to look at what they are doing here and work on stepping up their DO releases. Deals just don't cut it anymore, but yikes, even the deals have been rather weak. $70 of "free" stuff that was just on sale the day before for $3 is not going to excite me nor many others. The content itself needs to be better, much better. Including HD morphs would be a start, but so much more is needed than that to get me back on board the Daz Original train.

I hate to be so negative about things, but I don't say these things out of anger. I say them because I think Daz can be better, and I think it would be good for Daz as well. So please don't take this as me hating on Daz. It is because I am passionate about Daz that I take this time to write this and critique it.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • LosingSignalLosingSignal Posts: 409
    edited July 2019

Yay, new character!  And she's contemporay, too!  With a bit of luck, there will be a male companion following up, but the selection of items in the Pro Bundle, plus some of the add-ons, made this one an instant buy for me.  Skin's got the orange problem right out of the box, plus when I did my first render, I probably should have dialed down the skin shinyness.  Also a bit disappointed that she didn't come with fibermesh eyebrows, but I have plenty of those, so no problem, I guess.  First render time!

Teen Jane: All Clear

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/822001/

"Easiest dare I've ever taken!  So why do I feel like things are about to go downhill?"

TeenJane001.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by LosingSignal on
  • LosingSignalLosingSignal Posts: 409
    Helene said:

In the first image on the main Jane page there are 5 of her.  What hair does the one on the right have?  The really long pigtails?

Thanks!

Every part of the hair looks like Rowan Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females, except for the ties on the tails themselves.  Those do look like the bracelet she's wearing, so someone may have kitbashed those over the top of the original ties.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
    edited July 2019

just thought i'd share a quick pic of jane + growing up youth morph... for some reason i think Jane looks even more cute as a little kid.... This is Shenequia/Jane plus Growing Up Youth morph 

ShenKid.jpg
    556 x 731 - 425K
    Post edited by DisparateDreamer on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,692
    edited July 2019

lol I think a lot of you guys forget what real people actually look like. Just google "high school yearbook photos". As 3D artists we're so used to "baby faces" being the norm. 

These are yearbook photos of people who were teens at the time of the pictures being taken. 

Teen Jane 8 looks pretty realistic to me. *shrug*

Thanks for the references. It would be hard to make Genesis characters with those face morphs look realistic. I don't think I would buy many of the characters based on those models. blush

Post edited by xyer0 on
    edited July 2019

Here I used her Translucency Medium setting, lowered her Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity, and lowered the Cutout Opacity on her lashes.

G8F - Teen Jane 8 - Trans Med DLSR 12.png
    800 x 1040 - 1008K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2019
    Ati said:
    mwokee said:
    The pro bundle for me is $66 and does not include the HD version. Not that long ago pro bundles were around $42 and included the HD.

You can get her down to $46.29, and then use the coupon to go take it down some more.

Not unless they fixed the odious result of deducting from any "free" items in the cart. But mostly-  if you have the $70 in freebies and it takes them down to zero, the coupon also addresses any DOs in the cart and that's ALL the ones offered in the $70 off group. So you only will be getting a smidgeon off the Pro Bundle as it will distribute that $6 throughout the DOs. (Edit- noticed The Blurst of Times mentioned that too.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,692

Here I used her Translucency Medium setting, lowered her Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity, and lowered the Cutout Opacity on her lashes.

Great pose and render! This is a big help.

• I'd just like to take a moment to laugh about the fact that the 'Renardeau' outfit is very clearly a knock-off of Phase's outfit from Paragon, but that outfit from a couple years ago looked better. XD
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/paragon-phase
    https://www.daz3d.com/renardeau-outfit-textures

xyer0 said:

Great pose and render! This is a big help.

lol I was aiming for a bit of teen attitude mixed with boredom. :P I'm glad you found it helpful. smiley