Teen Jane 8

Comments

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

I'd just like to take a moment to laugh about the fact that the 'Renardeau' outfit is very clearly a knock-off of Phase's outfit from Paragon, but that outfit from a couple years ago looked better. XD
    https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/slug/paragon-phase
    https://www.daz3d.com/renardeau-outfit-textures

I prefer the Daz outfit myself
  • JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

Here I used her Translucency Medium setting, lowered her Duel Lobe Specular Reflectivity, and lowered the Cutout Opacity on her lashes.

fantastic posing!!! ♥

• Novica said:
    Ati said:
    mwokee said:
    The pro bundle for me is $66 and does not include the HD version. Not that long ago pro bundles were around $42 and included the HD.

You can get her down to $46.29, and then use the coupon to go take it down some more.

Not unless they fixed the odious result of deducting from any "free" items in the cart. But mostly-  if you have the $70 in freebies and it takes them down to zero, the coupon also addresses any DOs in the cart and that's ALL the ones offered in the $70 off group. So you only will be getting a smidgeon off the Pro Bundle as it will distribute that $6 throughout the DOs. (Edit- noticed The Blurst of Times mentioned that too.)

I used my coupon with one of last month's Pro Bundles plus freebies and it worked correctly - I was getting ready to open a support ticket when I saw the after application ttoal, but it was $6 down as it should ahve been. Maybe that was just a freak combination of items, I'd expect them to announce a proper fix, but it may be worth testing.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

just thought i'd share a quick pic of jane + growing up youth morph... for some reason i think Jane looks even more cute as a little kid.... This is Shenequia/Jane plus Growing Up Youth morph 

Great job!

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Not quite Progeria, but "Teen Jane" and most of the characters based on her seem to be suffering from some form of premature aging. Most look mid twenties to mid forties, to me. Just as a reminder to DAZ and the PAs:-

Teen :Relating to teenager. Teenager: A person between thirteen and nineteen years of age. Oxford Dictionary

So, can we have some characters that look like teens for the Teen Jane 8 character?

• HeleneHelene Posts: 111
    Helene said:

In the first image on the main Jane page there are 5 of her.  What hair does the one on the right have?  The really long pigtails?

Thanks!

Every part of the hair looks like Rowan Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females, except for the ties on the tails themselves.  Those do look like the bracelet she's wearing, so someone may have kitbashed those over the top of the original ties.

Thank you so much.  I don't know how I missed that hair.

• Merged threads

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    Helene said:
    Helene said:

In the first image on the main Jane page there are 5 of her.  What hair does the one on the right have?  The really long pigtails?

Thanks!

Every part of the hair looks like Rowan Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 Females, except for the ties on the tails themselves.  Those do look like the bracelet she's wearing, so someone may have kitbashed those over the top of the original ties.

Thank you so much.  I don't know how I missed that hair.

What's really embarassing is when you can't find something and it turns out that the reason you can't find it is because you already own it, so it doesn't show up in a store search... blush  I've had that happen so many times that now when I'm searching for an item, I always switch the "the hide items I own" option  off.  And even that won't catch the items you own but that are no longer in the store.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    Novica said:
    Ati said:
    mwokee said:
    The pro bundle for me is $66 and does not include the HD version. Not that long ago pro bundles were around $42 and included the HD.

You can get her down to $46.29, and then use the coupon to go take it down some more.

Not unless they fixed the odious result of deducting from any "free" items in the cart. But mostly-  if you have the $70 in freebies and it takes them down to zero, the coupon also addresses any DOs in the cart and that's ALL the ones offered in the $70 off group. So you only will be getting a smidgeon off the Pro Bundle as it will distribute that $6 throughout the DOs. (Edit- noticed The Blurst of Times mentioned that too.)

I used my coupon with one of last month's Pro Bundles plus freebies and it worked correctly - I was getting ready to open a support ticket when I saw the after application ttoal, but it was $6 down as it should ahve been. Maybe that was just a freak combination of items, I'd expect them to announce a proper fix, but it may be worth testing.

I just tested this on a cart that contained Teen Jane, assorted add-ons, and some of the free bonus items. Applying my $6 monthly DAZ coupon deducted less than $6 from the total price, so I'm guessing that the issue is still unfixed (or the fix has reverted).

• This just feels off to me. There was a time when the main Daz Original line contained some of the best Daz content available. I think we have arrived at a point to where that is no longer the case. There are some good releases, don't get me wrong, but the over all DO lineup does not strike me as "the best of Daz". And its been this way for some time. It goes past the orange skin tone of the default materials. The normal maps are unbalanced, too strong on the hands and feet. Hands and feet are very weak in general. Overall bump maps are too generic and make skin bumpy rather than look like skin. The bundles seriously need to include HD morphs with them. We have PAs who release HD characters for half the price or less, and these characters can much look better than DOs. PAs who include some HD expressions with the character, and so on. Its a bunch of little things, and together they add up to a lot. What is the point of buying Daz Originals if they are not on par with 3rd party releases that are cheaper AND better? So you can get the price down to the typical $46 for a pro bundle, but what are you really getting? A good PA model can be on sale for $10, and you can buy a bunch of clothes, poses, ect that you actually want for that price or better and make your little bundle that you will enjoy much more for about the same price.

Daz seriously needs to look at what they are doing here and work on stepping up their DO releases. Deals just don't cut it anymore, but yikes, even the deals have been rather weak. $70 of "free" stuff that was just on sale the day before for $3 is not going to excite me nor many others. The content itself needs to be better, much better. Including HD morphs would be a start, but so much more is needed than that to get me back on board the Daz Original train.

I hate to be so negative about things, but I don't say these things out of anger. I say them because I think Daz can be better, and I think it would be good for Daz as well. So please don't take this as me hating on Daz. It is because I am passionate about Daz that I take this time to write this and critique it.

I also am frustrated to see Gen 8 starter sets or Gen 7 & 6 pro sets going for $2.99 just before the sale of Jane and then prices basically at the normal HIGH prices in our $70 free que along with many other items that I had looked at buying on their one day $2.99 sale day being full cost or barely discounted in this same que. As for the Pro Pack quality, I do like the that this set has some great character packs....better then most of the extra addons packs. I agree that the quality of characters from the Pro packs sometimes require extra purchases like the HD morphs or even sometimes whole outfits, that other vendors seem to continue to provide in the products.
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Lasserine said:

She doesnt really look like a teen.

If TV and movies taught me anything, it's that mid-twenties counts as teen.

• retiretomauiretiretomaui Posts: 383

So many issues with this character;

1. She looks about 40.

2. The makeup is awful, teens watch YouTube these days, the makeup is much better.

3. No young woman plucks their eyebrows like this anymore, over plucked eyebrows are aging.

4. What young woman do you know called Jane?

5. And yes.. yes another Caucasian female, with no real improvements on skin or anything.

My impressions...

1. More like mid twenties. Not a teen, though, I totally agree with you on that.

2. I teach high school. This is how a ton of my teenage female students look.

3. Wrong. Many do. In my class. During my lecture. Blood pressure spiking. DETENTION! In all seriousness, yes, many do.

4. According to my last semester rollsheets, two.

5. Nothing wrong with Caucasian females. They do make up the majority of the US female population, and Daz is a US-based company, so it makes sense to represent who and what is in the majority. And, Lateshya is there if you want an African look for Teen Jane. There are also tons of morphs and skin shaders, presets, etc., to tweak the base character into a more non-Caucasian look, if one so desires.

• edited July 2019
    rrward said:
    Lasserine said:

She doesnt really look like a teen.

If TV and movies taught me anything, it's that mid-twenties counts as teen.

Sometimes even more.  Sansa Stark, played by Sophie Turner, is 11 when the series starts.

Post edited by davidwski_16294691f0 on
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Malandar said:

In before someone complains about "another white girl..."

The sell what people buy.

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    Dave230 said:
    Maybe it would be helpful if someone posted a side-by-side comparison of all the Daz teens to see where this one fits.

I think that would be an excellent idea.

People want to keep referring to the "real world", but Daz3d is an art tool.  Art is a simulation of reality.  If I'm rendering a photo in which I want the audience to  imagine that it's a teenager, I don't have the option of labeling it "teen so and so". So if people have an impression of what a teen looks like, that's what I'm stuck with.  To me she doesn't look a teen in all of her renders.

Or let's say, she looks like the kind of teen that could get a guy in trouble if he didn't ask what her actual age was.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

The lipstick in this one is...eh...

This pic look like a totally different person, which may be the point to show some flexibility, but she looks much older, too.

However, it wouldn't be normal if I didn't have some negatives to point out. And I have some big gripes coming.

This just feels off to me. There was a time when the main Daz Original line contained some of the best Daz content available. I think we have arrived at a point to where that is no longer the case. There are some good releases, don't get me wrong, but the over all DO lineup does not strike me as "the best of Daz". And its been this way for some time. It goes past the orange skin tone of the default materials. The normal maps are unbalanced, too strong on the hands and feet. Hands and feet are very weak in general. Overall bump maps are too generic and make skin bumpy rather than look like skin. The bundles seriously need to include HD morphs with them. We have PAs who release HD characters for half the price or less, and these characters can much look better than DOs. PAs who include some HD expressions with the character, and so on. Its a bunch of little things, and together they add up to a lot. What is the point of buying Daz Originals if they are not on par with 3rd party releases that are cheaper AND better? So you can get the price down to the typical $46 for a pro bundle, but what are you really getting? A good PA model can be on sale for $10, and you can buy a bunch of clothes, poses, ect that you actually want for that price or better and make your little bundle that you will enjoy much more for about the same price.

Daz seriously needs to look at what they are doing here and work on stepping up their DO releases. Deals just don't cut it anymore, but yikes, even the deals have been rather weak. $70 of "free" stuff that was just on sale the day before for $3 is not going to excite me nor many others. The content itself needs to be better, much better. Including HD morphs would be a start, but so much more is needed than that to get me back on board the Daz Original train.

I hate to be so negative about things, but I don't say these things out of anger. I say them because I think Daz can be better, and I think it would be good for Daz as well. So please don't take this as me hating on Daz. It is because I am passionate about Daz that I take this time to write this and critique it.

I agree completely!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

just thought i'd share a quick pic of jane + growing up youth morph... for some reason i think Jane looks even more cute as a little kid.... This is Shenequia/Jane plus Growing Up Youth morph 

Well, that is much cuter than the original! As cute as she looks there I have a bunch of morphs and don’t really see a need for this character. She doesn’t really bring anything new to the gene pool, but instead can be made to look better with other morphs as above...

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483
    nicstt said:
    AllenArt said:

I know it's what I quoted, but was actually thinking she looked more like 22-26. If I saw someone who looked like this and they said they were 19, I'd believe it, but I don't get the reason to market a figure as a teen if they are a teen who looks older than their peers. She looks about the age of adults they cast as high school students in movies and TV, maybe that's throwing things off

I currently work with mostly 16-18 year old girls, Jane would fit right in. So she looks very much like an older realistic teen, and not from tv.  

I like Jane, her add-on figures, and both hairs, also one of the pose sets. Don't like her outfits. I want to save money and pick up the next male release, so while she's kind of tempting, I'm going to pass on her for now. 

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Here is Jane and some of her characters.  Same pose, lighting, and hair.

Jane

Lateshya​

Sara

Shenequia​

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I didn't pick Teen Jane up. Not sure if I will, but it won't be anytime soon. I did fall in love with one of the characters not in the bundle though. Sara for Teen Jane 8 by @Cherubit looks awesome. I really love all those freckles. I went ahead and bought her. She looks good without Teen Jane. There are some slight differences with Jane not there, but overall I like the look.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2019

Sara for Teen Jane. Quite like this character. The freckles and fair skin are great as are her eyebrows.

I noticed when rendering her, that this hairstyle Julissa Hair, is called Jezebel hair. It made it hard to find the textures, since it clearly underwent a name change at some point. 

She reminds me of Willow from Buffy.

jane.png
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Serene Night on

Sara's skin looks really good on men as well. As do her eyebrows. That character is a good value. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    JamesJAB said:

Here is Jane and some of her characters.  Same pose, lighting, and hair.

Jane

Lateshya​

Sara

Shenequia​

Have to say she looks every bit the realistic teenage girl in all of those.Those are a step up once again in realism from very early G8 & G3 models.I'm surprise there are any complaints about any of the characters in that bundle. Clothing maybe, but the characters are super.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

lol I think a lot of you guys forget what real people actually look like. Just google "high school yearbook photos". As 3D artists we're so used to "baby faces" being the norm. 

These are yearbook photos of people who were teens at the time of the pictures being taken.

You have permission to post those?

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,692

So many issues with this character;

1. She looks about 40.

2. The makeup is awful, teens watch YouTube these days, the makeup is much better.

3. No young woman plucks their eyebrows like this anymore, over plucked eyebrows are aging.

4. What young woman do you know called Jane?

5. And yes.. yes another Caucasian female, with no real improvements on skin or anything.

My impressions...

1. More like mid twenties. Not a teen, though, I totally agree with you on that.

2. I teach high school. This is how a ton of my teenage female students look.

3. Wrong. Many do. In my class. During my lecture. Blood pressure spiking. DETENTION! In all seriousness, yes, many do.

4. According to my last semester rollsheets, two.

5. Nothing wrong with Caucasian females. They do make up the majority of the US female population, and Daz is a US-based company, so it makes sense to represent who and what is in the majority. And, Lateshya is there if you want an African look for Teen Jane. There are also tons of morphs and skin shaders, presets, etc., to tweak the base character into a more non-Caucasian look, if one so desires.

Thanks.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Dave230 said:
    Maybe it would be helpful if someone posted a side-by-side comparison of all the Daz teens to see where this one fits.

I think that would be an excellent idea.

People want to keep referring to the "real world", but Daz3d is an art tool.  Art is a simulation of reality.  If I'm rendering a photo in which I want the audience to  imagine that it's a teenager, I don't have the option of labeling it "teen so and so". So if people have an impression of what a teen looks like, that's what I'm stuck with.  To me she doesn't look a teen in all of her renders.

Or let's say, she looks like the kind of teen that could get a guy in trouble if he didn't ask what her actual age was.

If I have to ask her age, she's too damn young!

The skin on Sara is very nice. But I don't care for the character without Jane 8
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    The skin on Sara is very nice. But I don't care for the character without Jane 8

Yes, I love the skin. I might pick Jane up at some point. I might feel differently about the character once I have the full morph. Can anyone look to see how much of Jane is actually dialed into the Sara character?

In the meantime, another one of Sara without the Jane morph. Minimal postwork. I like how it turned out.

edited July 2019

One thing I don’t like about Jane is her rigid weird mouth.  I see it mostly in the base figure but it is like her lips are  a rigid hard mass. You can see it in the images of her smiling there are zero creases when she smiles and although she has face fat it’s like she’s been botoxed into  this weird death grimace. Teens have smile lines and teen Jane in particular doesn’t have a natural smile. It reminds me of gen 7 Mei Lin smiled. Like her face was hard or stuck.

i think also the skin on the base figure isn’t as good as some of the character skins I’ve seen.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Here's Cassidy render not complete but wanted to do another one

cassidy.jpg
    500 x 650 - 143K