Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited June 2019

Serching for how to's,... and yeah, I'm prolly just missing something obvious, but....

Offline Installer?
    I don't have any of my artwork PC's connected to the outside world, so I'm looking for the usual full sized download to try the public beta after seeing the youtube video announceing the stand based hair.

All I see are the links to the online installers,.... :(

1. Install DIM on an internet connected pc
    2. Download the installation package for DS beta (just a glorified zip file) on that machine
    3. Transfer the installer for both DIM and the DS beta via thumbdrive to your sandboxed machine
    4. Install DIM on your offline machine, move the DS beta installer to DIM's Downloads directory, and install via Offline mode in DIM
    Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • Deadly BudaDeadly Buda Posts: 155

Help! I lost my Public Build!!!

I want to keep 4.10 on my computer because it renders large scenes faster. However, 4.11 is easier to work with interactively. So, I've been using Public Builds to 4.11.0.382. So, I try to update to 383, and it wouldn't install for some reason. So, I delete the install and figure I will just re-install. Now, it has disappeared altoghter from DIM. How can I download the Public Build again so I don't mess up my workflow?

No matter how many times I refresh, I can't seem to get the 64-bit 383 Public Build to appear in DIM. 32 bit Public Build installed fine.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845

Help! I lost my Public Build!!!

I want to keep 4.10 on my computer because it renders large scenes faster. However, 4.11 is easier to work with interactively. So, I've been using Public Builds to 4.11.0.382. So, I try to update to 383, and it wouldn't install for some reason. So, I delete the install and figure I will just re-install. Now, it has disappeared altoghter from DIM. How can I download the Public Build again so I don't mess up my workflow?

No matter how many times I refresh, I can't seem to get the 64-bit 383 Public Build to appear in DIM. 32 bit Public Build installed fine.

How did you delete the Public Build?

• Deadly BudaDeadly Buda Posts: 155

I deleted via DIM. I fixed the problem like this. I downloaded the public beta on another computer. Went into Daz Installs, copied that package and manifest onto a thumb drive. I pasted the pack and manifest into my working computer's DIM install folder. Started DIM and it saw it as "ready for install". Installed. Everything went back to normal.

How did you delete the Public Build?

• Rev2019Rev2019 Posts: 167

So whats updated in the latest beta?

the links are screwed up and doesnt give any information

Pat1 said:

So whats updated in the latest beta?

the links are screwed up and doesnt give any information

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330101/daz-studio-pro-4-11-highlights#latest

• Digital TouchDigital Touch Posts: 185
    edited June 2019

4.11 studio version clear up(doesn't save) "favorites" on character properties. I had to reassign favorites again each time I load scene.

This really disrupt workflow, please fix this problem soon.

Post edited by Digital Touch on

4.11 studio version clear up(doesn't save) "favorites" on character properties. I had to reassign favorites again each time I load scene.

Please submit a bug report with steps to replicate.

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Digital TouchDigital Touch Posts: 185
    edited June 2019

Already submitted bug report 3 days ago but haven't got any reply.

You don't need any step to reproduce the problem, "Favorites" just not saved in this build. Usually Studio save any "Favorites" with the scene save file.

In 4.11, every time I open my saved scene, all the "Favorites" gone and need to be reapplied each time I load scene.

Post edited by Digital Touch on
  • and now 4.12 is being worked on with Iray RTX!!!!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

I continue to have unexpected zooming behavior in the Strand-Based Hair Editor. Right now I am in the Style tab and I have rotated to look at the left side of my character's head (the character is facing forward in the scene in the main DS viewport). When I roll the mouse wheel or even use the magnifying glass navigation tool, the character in the hair editor moves left and right in the hair editor veiwport. I expect the zoom tool to move me closer or further away from my character. It is as if the tool is zooming as though I were still looking at the front on her face, instead of at the side of her head. This behavior is not consistent or repeatable on demand. I have not figured out what causes it to occur.

I spent a day and a half working in the SBH, (yesterday and the day before,) and I can confirm this behavior is still present. I'm using the .383 beta. (It's my understanding there is no difference between the .383 beta and .383 release.)

@barbult, I found clicking on the Home navigation icon, resetting the view to the front, helped considerably with rotate/zoom/etc from that point. But the zoom in/out is still inconsistent and not repeatable. I haven't tried disabling the Invert Mouse Wheel option, to see if the erratic behavior of the zoom stops.

I find the Paint tools very clunky and imprecise. I'm also used to the ability to be precise in Photoshop, so I create my density maps in Photoshop and import them.

Then I use the Paint tools to fine tune the edges, if they need it.

and now 4.12 is being worked on with Iray RTX!!!!

Only one entry for dForce, and that's a version change. I do hope they are working on refinements to the Strand-Based Hair and the SBH editor.

Things I would like to see for SBH/Editor in 4.12, (and I've submitted these as a feature request):

1. Support for Layers. Instead of having multiple SBH objects, I'd love to be able to create layers in the same object. (My current WIP has one object for the main hair, and a second object for less dense, messier hair. I plan on a third object to create shorter hair around the hairline.
    2. A selectable "Collision" option that prevents style curves from intersecting and going behind the mesh of the target object, regardless of what tool is being used.
    3. A smoothing Style tool, that we can use to soften the angles of the selected style curves. Maybe a threshold option for the tool, as well.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Already submitted bug report 3 days ago but haven't got any reply.

You don't need any step to reproduce the problem, "Favorites" just not saved in this build. Usually Studio save any "Favorites" with the scene save file.

In 4.11, every time I open my saved scene, all the "Favorites" gone and need to be reapplied each time I load scene.

From the change log Private Build entry:

• Updated packaging version

• Updated manual installer images

• Fixed saving/loading of property favorites

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.12.0.18

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited June 2019

Update to NVIDIA Iray RTX 2019.1 (317500.1752) in the private build channel got me excited

Post edited by Paradigm on
  • peterpeterpeterpeter Posts: 34

>

• Added the ability for an IK node to persist in the scene

• Add the ability for IK nodes to be seen in scene views

• Added the ability for “Chain Root” and “Chain End” nodes to be specified as properties on an IK node

• Added a Create > New IK Chain… action

• Updated IK action descriptions

• Updated IK action undo text

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.12.0.4

Source: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Am I reading this right? Are they finally going to implement a proper IK system? :O

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

>

• Added the ability for an IK node to persist in the scene

• Add the ability for IK nodes to be seen in scene views

• Added the ability for “Chain Root” and “Chain End” nodes to be specified as properties on an IK node

• Added a Create > New IK Chain… action

• Updated IK action descriptions

• Updated IK action undo text

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.12.0.4

Source: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log

Am I reading this right? Are they finally going to implement a proper IK system? :O

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4693971/#Comment_4693971

• neumi1337neumi1337 Posts: 18

Just for info. The NVidia Iray Server on irayplugins.com had been updated to 2.53 which contains Iray RTX 2019.1.1, build 317500.2663 and it can be tested if anybody wants. Let's hope we get the beta with Iray RTX soon :)

• With this latest public build, whenever I try to re-size the character via the Parameters tab, it resets the size to 0.0% after entering. I can do the nudge and the sliders but, when I try to refine the size setting to smaller increments, upon hitting Enter, the Size % zeros out.

• Are you editing the number or typing a new one?

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

Tried to open a new topic on this, but cloudflare keeps blocking it for some reason. Anyways, I keep getting this over and over

2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Kernel [18] (MaterialSurface   ) failed after 0.161s
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer)
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Failed to launch renderer
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Device failed while rendering
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.

It happens after a few hundred iterations, it falls back to cpu, then I have to abort as fast as I can, because my stupid ryzen CPU starts getting too hot. Also, stupid cloudflare keeps blocking me while I am trying to type this post, what's up with that? Huge popup that interrupts my typing, then I look up and gotta keep trying to retype what I was typing. Ugh lol.

edited July 2019
    TheKD said:

Tried to open a new topic on this, but cloudflare keeps blocking it for some reason. Anyways, I keep getting this over and over

2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Kernel [18] (MaterialSurface   ) failed after 0.161s
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): an illegal memory access was encountered (while launching CUDA renderer)
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.20  IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Failed to launch renderer
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): Device failed while rendering
    2019-07-07 22:42:11.955 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.

It happens after a few hundred iterations, it falls back to cpu, then I have to abort as fast as I can, because my stupid ryzen CPU starts getting too hot. Also, stupid cloudflare keeps blocking me while I am trying to type this post, what's up with that? Huge popup that interrupts my typing, then I look up and gotta keep trying to retype what I was typing. Ugh lol.

It sounds like you have too many other things running in the background on your system that also use GPU memory.

It's a little known fact that recent Nvidia GPUs implement a form of out-of-core rendering, whereby if the size of a scene being rendered is both larger than the amount of free video memory currently on that GPU but also smaller than the total amount of video memory on that GPU, the CPU will take the excess data, store it in system memory, and then feed/exchange it back  to the GPU on the fly via PCI-E lanes for the duration of the render. Unfortunately this mechanism generates a LOT of extra CPU/system memory/PCI-E activity that most consumer level systems simply don't have sufficient IO bandwidth to handle (especially when you have it busy doing other things at the same time.) Hence why your renders are eventually failing with all of those errors. The simplest solution to this is to do as little else with your system as possible while it is busy rendering.

I have never had an issue with it before, heck, I used to be able to watch movies/tv shows on my pc while rendering. The only thing I was doing last night was using the web browser to look up some things when it was failing to CPU. Other than firefox, the only other thing running was f.lux, and I been using that for over a year now. And the ryzen I got now is way more of a beast than the last one, better mobo, better RAM too.

I am thinking the problem might be the fact I was forced to install shit win10 on this, instead of win7 that I would rather have. The last less powerful pc I had was win7 and that never had the issue of falling back to CPU render for no discernable reason in the middle of a render. If it was going to fall to CPU, it would do it right away, then I would try some tricks to reduce vram and try again till GPU rendered.

edited July 2019
    TheKD said:

Other than firefox, the only other thing running was f.lux,

Firefox is more than enough by itself. Web browsers are notorious memory hogs - including GPU memory - since their memory footprint is completely open-ended (depends on what sites/how many tabs or windows you have open) and video streams/complex graphics are usually GPU accelerated on modern OSes like Windows 10.

And speaking of Windows 10...

TheKD said:

I am thinking the problem might be the fact I was forced to install shit win10 on this, instead of win7 that I would rather have. The last less powerful pc I had was win7 and that never had the issue of falling back to CPU render for no discernable reason in the middle of a render. If it was going to fall to CPU, it would do it right away, then I would try some tricks to reduce vram and try again till GPU rendered.

This is EXACTLY the case. Nvidia's implementation of Unified Memory (the proper name for the phenomenon I described above) doesn't work at all on Windows 7. Meaning that in situations like yours where a scene is both larger than the amount of free GPU memory at that moment and still within bounds of the max GPU memory capacity, the render process would simply fail immediately and in a very obvious way.

Windows 10 is also much better at finding ways to utilize GPU/system memory in everyday computing tasks in a way that increases overall system performance, but in specific cases like attempting to render large 3d scenes in DS/Iray will tend to cause more frequent memory usage overlaps than what would've been seen on ex. Windows 7.

edited July 2019

Ugh, I frikken hate this OS so much. Damn, happened again, this time I was just letting it render, nothing else opened but my temp reader. This sucks so bad, this is nowhere near the scenes I usually render, it's just one genesis 8 figure in a mini environment, even downsized the maps by half for good measure. I am going to have to try hard to hack win7 on this machine, this is completely unusable like this. 

Post edited by TheKD on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,442
    edited July 2019
    TheKD said:

Ugh, I frikken hate this OS so much. Damn, happened again, this time I was just letting it render, nothing else opened but my temp reader.

You may try to plug the monitor to the mobo instead, so to leave the nvidia card free for rendering. That's what I do.

Post edited by Padone on
  • novastridernovastrider Posts: 204
    edited July 2019

With this latest public build, whenever I try to re-size the character via the Parameters tab, it resets the size to 0.0% after entering. I can do the nudge and the sliders but, when I try to refine the size setting to smaller increments, upon hitting Enter, the Size % zeros out.

I've been having this same problem all the friggin time since the release of 4.11. Reported it, but nobody else seemed to have a problem with it. Change a number, press enter, bam, it's suddenly 0,0%. It happens in like 1 out of 10 value changes, at random (and it locks in on the parameter that's doing it: so it keeps happening over and over when I try to change it again on the same thingy, the parameters above and below and on other objects are doing fine). Never had this issue before 4.11.

Post edited by novastrider on

With this latest public build, whenever I try to re-size the character via the Parameters tab, it resets the size to 0.0% after entering. I can do the nudge and the sliders but, when I try to refine the size setting to smaller increments, upon hitting Enter, the Size % zeros out.

I've been having this same problem all the friggin time since the release of 4.11. Reported it, but nobody else seemed to have a problem with it. Change a number, press enter, bam, it's suddenly 0,0%. It happens in like 1 out of 10 value changes, at random (and it locks in on the parameter that's doing it: so it keeps happening over and over when I try to change it again on the same thingy, the parameters above and below and on other objects are doing fine). Never had this issue before 4.11.

Which Parameter setting are you using? I entered 12 in Height and it accepted it. Same for Body Size.

• With this latest public build, whenever I try to re-size the character via the Parameters tab, it resets the size to 0.0% after entering. I can do the nudge and the sliders but, when I try to refine the size setting to smaller increments, upon hitting Enter, the Size % zeros out.

Rob says remove the % from the end of the value, so you just have a raw number. It looks as if this is fixed in a forthcoming beta, judging by the change log docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_26

• novastridernovastrider Posts: 204

Thank you. I have done that though, and every other method of filling in numbers like copy pasting, math and all kinds of mouse test, but it's pretty stubborn. Hope the beta helps.

Padone said:
    TheKD said:

Ugh, I frikken hate this OS so much. Damn, happened again, this time I was just letting it render, nothing else opened but my temp reader.

You may try to plug the monitor to the mobo instead, so to leave the nvidia card free for rendering. That's what I do.

Ryzen don't got onboard I don't think. Anyways, finally was able to hack win7 on this machine, so far the only drawback seems to be I can't use ethernet, since it only has win10 drivers. Not a giant issue, I have a high speed wireless adapter, can live with it. Got a higher average benchmark in novabench, although it was only 40 points, so not a huge improvement. I have confirmed win10 is shit at handling VRAM, I saved the few scenes I was messing with and was able to try them on win7. They rendered fine even without downsizing the textures, rendered all the way through without dropping to CPU, instead of crapping out after a few hundred iterations. Maybe one day microsoft will get back into making a solid OS, instead of the crap they are pulling now!