Solved Webp Issue. Anyone need of a simple solution?

ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
edited June 2019 in The Commons

I have found a solution for the webp issue. Wondering if anyone is in need of such? It's the best one I've come up with yet.

Logging off in a few to watch the bachelorette.

Post edited by ArtAngel on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a sumple solution would be nice.  

seems to be a server side script, cant imagine a sumole solution inless the server stops pushing it

• PippenPippen Posts: 265

yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797

suspense much

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

My solution is to install IrfanView. It views .webp just fine.

edited June 2019

So does image magic which I have it as default for

my exr and other weird image files all use that

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

My solution is to install IrfanView. It views .webp just fine.

My problem with that is in a lot of cases there is a noticable quality loss in webp formatted images. So a way to ignore webp and only download the original would be great
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333
    ArtAngel said:

I have found a solution for the webp issue. Wondering if anyone is in need of such? It's the best one I've come up with yet.

"I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this theorem which this margin is too small to contain."
    - Pierre de Fermat (1607-1665), writing about what would become known as"Fermat's Last Theorem"*. A full verified proof was only discovered and published in 1994.

*In very simplified terms, the conjecture that there is no combination of two cube numbers where the sum is a third cube number.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    ArtAngel said:

"I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of this theorem which this margin is too small to contain."
    - Pierre de Fermat (1607-1665), writing about what would become known as"Fermat's Last Theorem"*. A full verified proof was only discovered and published in 1994.

*In very simplified terms, the conjecture that there is no combination of two cube numbers where the sum is a third cube number.

LOL, exactly what went through my mind!

Has time to type a tease cheeky

has no time to elaborate as needs to watch the batchelorette devil

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

You guys talking about the image format? Irfanview opens them up fine.  Just save the image back out in what ever format you like.  Google + only allowed saving in this format... Irfanview to the rescue!  

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    edited June 2019
    RAMWolff said:

You guys talking about the image format? Irfanview opens them up fine.  Just save the image back out in what ever format you like.  Google + only allowed saving in this format... Irfanview to the rescue!  

While that is a workaround, you've already lost image quality when the original image was converted to webp before it was served to you by the host (cloudflare in this instance I believe). And it's a pretty aggressive compression algorithm, so it can be pretty noticable, especially on higher resolution screens. Plus, when you convert it to jpg, it's being compressed again, even if you use very lenient settings when you save it. Yeah, if your only using a phone or very old monitor to view the images you may not notice a difference. On my largish 4k screens, it varies from moderately noticeable to "oh my God what did you do to those poor defenseless pixels" I should add that I'm referring to webp files from more than just Daz, the compression here doesn't seem to be as bad as some other sites I've run into.
    Post edited by dragotx on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,303

WHOA!  I just discovered the BEST-THING-EVER!  It will change your life! I can't wait to tell everyone, but I have to go do some stuff, back later!

Seriouzly?

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,976

Irfanview  ++

Gogger said:

WHOA!  I just discovered the BEST-THING-EVER!  It will change your life! I can't wait to tell everyone, but I have to go do some stuff, back later!

Seriouzly?

Nah devil not seriously 

if it was simple the time it took to start a thread would have been sufficient to type it

we have been trolled cheeky

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Gogger said:

Cart says "Coupon code BEST-THING-EVER is not valid".

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

All I do is to copy the URL, open another (less sophisticated) browser like Microsoft Edge, paste the URL there and I can save the image as normal.

Taoz said:

Gogger said:

Cart says "Coupon code BEST-THING-EVER is not valid".

HA HA!!  Made me LOLAW!  (Laugh Out Loud At Work)

Erm.... I'm not at my home computer right now, but I am pretty sure, and this is not a trolling tease, that there was a solution posted in a thread here on DAZ that I followed that fixed the webp problems in FireFox for me, but it may have included modifying a file not unlike a Windows registry file, but for FireFox.  I did it and it is still in effect today, weeks, or a couple of months, later. I'll have to check later when I am home and post back here if I can find it.

If you don't hear back from me in a few hours, wait longer.   :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    JonnyRay said:

All I do is to copy the URL, open another (less sophisticated) browser like Microsoft Edge, paste the URL there and I can save the image as normal.

Firefox keeps nagging me to update, but the current version doesn't do webp and the new one does, so no point in updating.

Okay, found it - this worked for me!

In a post by Kitsumo at:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4632511/#Comment_4632511

They wrote:
    Try typing about:config in the Firefox address bar, click past the warning, search for webp. See if image.webp.enabled is set to true or false. Try changing it and see if that helps. If not, change it back. That's all I can offer.

I hope this helps everyone who came here looking for an actual solution!

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

For Chrome, there's the 'Save Image as PNG' extension - it works well:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-image-as-png/nkokmeaibnajheohncaamjggkanfbphi?hl=en

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,211
    Gogger said:

Okay, found it - this worked for me!

In a post by Kitsumo at:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4632511/#Comment_4632511

They wrote:
    Try typing about:config in the Firefox address bar, click past the warning, search for webp. See if image.webp.enabled is set to true or false. Try changing it and see if that helps. If not, change it back. That's all I can offer.

I hope this helps everyone who came here looking for an actual solution!

This takes it a little further (may be overkill), but I did this (.webp format for product pictures) over three months ago for Firefox, and it still works after multiple updates. I just verified by downloading and saving the same picture in three different browsers (FF, IE11, Edge) and they are all identical. No third parties, no copying, no re-saving, no bother.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Wait, what issue?

(out of the loop)

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333

Wait, what issue?

(out of the loop)

Cloudflare, the delivery network that Daz uses for the site, has started delivering all the JPG and PNG images on the site as WebP images to save bandwidth.

WebP is not actually all that well supported yet (many image viewers/editors don't support it), making it a headache for people who want to download copies of the images, but a criticism that many of us are levelling is that the recompression is significantly reducing the quality of any JPG images by lumbering them with two sets of compression losses and compression artefacts. (It's less bad with PNG, as in this case the compression is lossless).

Not very good for a store that is trying to trade on artistic quality. Annoyingly, Daz does not allow uploads in WebP format, which would allow users to circumvent the double compression.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited June 2019

Cloudflare, the delivery network that Daz uses for the site, has started delivering all the JPG and PNG images on the site as WebP images to save bandwidth.

To be fair, I'm not sure it was forced on them. I believe that WebP has both lossy/lossless options, and is an option in Polish, which in turn is an option in Cloudfare. My understanding is that DAZ chose to activate Polish, chose to configure it to use WebP, and chose to configure WebP to be either lossy/lossless (haven't looked into it to test myself).

- Greg

ETA: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000607372-Using-Polish-to-compress-images-on-Cloudflare

Post edited by algovincian on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Wait, what issue?

(out of the loop)

WebP is not actually all that well supported yet (many image viewers/editors don't support it), making it a headache for people who want to download copies of the images, but a criticism that many of us are levelling is that the recompression is significantly reducing the quality of any JPG images by lumbering them with two sets of compression losses and compression artefacts. (It's less bad with PNG, as in this case the compression is lossless).

Not very good for a store that is trying to trade on artistic quality. Annoyingly, Daz does not allow uploads in WebP format, which would allow users to circumvent the double compression.

Thanks for the reply! I can certainly see the concern. We're paying for good renders and we want everyone to see them in all their glory.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    edited June 2019

@Mystarra @Pippen @Wendy_Carrara @SlimerJSpud @dragotx @Matt_Castle @RAMWolff @Gogger @ed3D @Taoz @JonnyRay @namffauk @evacyn @NorthOf45 @Leonsides02 @algovincian

Sorry guys have a 75 gallon aquarium (2 weeks old) dead fish with bacterial infection then the outside aviary with 100 tiny one inch birds,hit temps 118. Spent all day doing damage control. Buying an isolation tank, removing charcoal for meds. Removing aviary roofing. Installing more misters etc. Just one issue after another. Didn't even read your posts yet. Just wanted to give you the solution.

Here's what worked for me. I have windows 10 pro and thought this would fail but it didn't. Safari made a windows compatible brower but stopped development and updates. So no new patches for security leaks. I only use this browser here for downloading orders, but I also have good antivirus protection so could use it elsewhere (but I don't).

Here is the download link from an archived apple file at their site. When you install it you the option to download Bonjour (not a gamer but downloaded it for networking) which some of you gamers might like especially Starcraft players.

Safari takes a little getting use to but I'm really lliking the ability it has to web archive so you can see the page offline with no broken parts and of course save as is always a jpg.

http://appldnld.apple.com/Safari5/041-5487.20120509.INU8B/SafariSetup.exe

Edit: Just remember there could be security issues so be careful where you browse with this.

I tried an older Firefox, tried messing with FF, tried Microsoft Edge and even went to Windows 7 to use older internet explorer but found this Safari for Windows to be the best solution. Too bad Apple stopped supporting windows browsing and stopped development. It's like Google Picasso. Some things should be resisitated and not left in death valley.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Never ever cared for Safari.  Each to their own.  I'm an Opera browser user.  Esp after Mozilla messed up the code for Firefox when they supposedly made it better by rewriting it from the ground up.  Slow as mud for me and the extensions are not what they used to be.  Opera, FOR ME, works like Firefox used to but better in allot of ways.  Instant load for pages and all that.... :-) 

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,506
    edited June 2019
    RAMWolff said:

Never ever cared for Safari.  Each to their own.  I'm an Opera browser user.  Esp after Mozilla messed up the code for Firefox when they supposedly made it better by rewriting it from the ground up.  Slow as mud for me and the extensions are not what they used to be.  Opera, FOR ME, works like Firefox used to but better in allot of ways.  Instant load for pages and all that.... :-) 

The point is Opera supports webp as does Firefox. This post is about saving as jpg solution. . I see no difference in speed. Maybe faster to download.

Edit: Chrome is my go to browser, but this discussion is focused on a webp solution not a favorite browser.

• You guys do know that Windows build 1809 has native support for webp files, right? The thumbnails will display the image and if you load them into Windows Paint, you can convert them to another file format if you wish. Photoshop needs an add-on to open them. Corel PaintshopPro is support them natively, but most of them ones I have tried won't open. If they contain transparancy, then Corel PSP can't open them. Apparantly a lot of them contain transparency.

One anomally I've found is: The Windows Photo app will open and display them. It will allow you to save them as a jpg, but other apps still won't be able to open the jpg. Don't know why that is.