Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I continue to have unexpected zooming behavior in the Strand-Based Hair Editor. Right now I am in the Style tab and I have rotated to look at the left side of my character's head (the character is facing forward in the scene in the main DS viewport). When I roll the mouse wheel or even use the magnifying glass navigation tool, the character in the hair editor moves left and right in the hair editor veiwport. I expect the zoom tool to move me closer or further away from my character. It is as if the tool is zooming as though I were still looking at the front on her face, instead of at the side of her head. This behavior is not consistent or repeatable on demand. I have not figured out what causes it to occur.

After I change the Distribution Seed value on the Distribute tab, The display shows an inconsistent number of hairs when switching between Show Hairs and Show Hairs w/Widths. Show Hairs w/Widths shows more hairs than Show Hairs. I have Base (mm) set to 2 and Tip (mm) set to 1 in this example. If I actually accept the change, the number of hairs generated corresponds to Show Hairs. Show Hairs w/Widths seems to be incorrect. Something about changing the Density Seed seems to cause this problem.

Screenshot 2019-06-04 17.50.38.png
    1022 x 818 - 296K
    Screenshot 2019-06-04 17.50.44.png
    1022 x 818 - 315K
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

Latest NVIDIA drivers are out (430.86).

Creator Ready Drivers (CRD) have been renamed to NVIDIA Studio Drivers (SD), and in the Release Notes document I found this part:

Provides the optimal experience for the latest releases of top creative apps, including Autodesk Maya 2019, 3ds Max 2020, Arnold 5.3.1.0, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 16, and Daz 3D Daz Studio.

That means, it is now explicitly confirmed that using NVIDIA Studio Driver is a better choice for people using DAZ Studio.

If you're running Windows 10 and a 10 or 20 series card . . . no match for windows 7 or 8 and no match for a 980 ti on windows 10.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120

Latest NVIDIA drivers are out (430.86).

Creator Ready Drivers (CRD) have been renamed to NVIDIA Studio Drivers (SD), and in the Release Notes document I found this part:

Provides the optimal experience for the latest releases of top creative apps, including Autodesk Maya 2019, 3ds Max 2020, Arnold 5.3.1.0, Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 16, and Daz 3D Daz Studio.

That means, it is now explicitly confirmed that using NVIDIA Studio Driver is a better choice for people using DAZ Studio.

See this post for more info.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437

I was already going with CR because I found it more stable especially with Optix.

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited June 2019

So I installed the latest version of the beta and the studio driver with a 2080 Ti

does that mean daz3d can use the Tensor cores now?

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
  • barbult said:

Here's another painting inconsistency. If I create a New Texture Set, that set is selected and when I paint, the paint goes on the Texture Set. However, if I duplicate a Texture Set, that new duplicate is not selected, and I end up accidently painting on the original instead of the duplicate. It seems to me that for consistency, anytime an "new" Texture Set is created, by New, Duplicate, or Import, that "new" Texture Set should be the one selected for painting.

I am told to tell you to watch the change log.

barbult said:

Here's another painting inconsistency. If I create a New Texture Set, that set is selected and when I paint, the paint goes on the Texture Set. However, if I duplicate a Texture Set, that new duplicate is not selected, and I end up accidently painting on the original instead of the duplicate. It seems to me that for consistency, anytime an "new" Texture Set is created, by New, Duplicate, or Import, that "new" Texture Set should be the one selected for painting.

I am told to tell you to watch the change log.

Thanks, Richard, I will.

I ran into another instance of the Show Hairs w/Widths displaying incorrect information. This time I didn't even change the distribution seed. All I did was import a previously saved gray map into the Paint tab. Then I switched to the Distribute tab and selected the importad map for Density. I had Show Hairs w/Widths selected and lots of hairs showed up in areas that were painted black in the map. Show Hairs still shows the correct information. 

edited June 2019
    barbult said:

More painting trouble. I set the Brush Value to 50% and the Alt Value to 0%. I painted and accepted the change. Later I opened the editor again (in the same scene, on the same character, in the same session of Daz Studio). The Paint tab interface opens showing the default values of Brush Value 100% and Alt Value 0%, but the brush is painting with 50% (the value it was set to in the last editor session) instead of 100%. I had to drag the Value slider back to a lower value and then back to 100% to get it to paint at 100% again.

Edit to add a screenshot of the Alt Value slider at 0%, but it is painting at what looks like 50%.

Oops I meant to Edit, not Quote.

Screenshot 2019-06-05 16.32.15.png
    1253 x 1080 - 409K
    Post edited by barbult on

How does the Strand-Based Hair Editor decide what Texture Set to highlight and use when the editor is opened? It is not choosing the one I last used. It is not choosing the first or the last. I have 3 Texture sets. The third one is the newest and the one I last used. When I close the editor and reopen it, the middle Texture Set is selected.

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 240
    edited June 2019

v4.11.0.382 seems to have a problem with Instancing:

I have a scene with 30 Instances of a tree prop that has 185,274 vertices and 152,688 facets. (that's not very many - the sfpLargetree01 prop in Stonemason's Through the Woods has 420,383 vertices and 291,322 facets).

In v4.10.0.123 64-bit:
    Orbiting the camera in the View Pane has instant response in both "Texture Shaded" and "NVIDIA Iray" Draw Modes, with the Lo-Res (pixelated) Iray display taking about 1 second to settle down to Hi-Res display.

In v4.11.0.382 64-bit:
    Orbiting the camera in the View Pane has no effect for about 1 second in both "Texture Shaded" and "NVIDIA Iray" Draw Modes, with the Lo-Res (pixelated) Iray display taking about 1 second to settle down to Hi-Res display.

If I replace the Instanced "Tree" prop with a simple cylinder having only 50 vertices and 72 facets, then v4.11.0.382 Beta performs the same as v4.10.0.123

As far as I can tell, all DAZ Studio settings are identical in both versions (e.g. Iray Instancing Optimization is set to "Speed" in both versions.  But anyway that should be irrelevant for the simple OpenGL "Texture Shaded" Draw Mode).

System specs:
      CPU: 6-Core i7-4930K
      RAM: 64GB
      GPU: RTX2070 (8GB) and GTX780 (3GB), drivers v425.31
      O/S: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

It seems as as if v4.11.0.382 is trying to draw 30 Copies of the tree instead of 30 Instances.

I've attached a .duf file of the trees in the scene, that reproduces the problem:
      With the "Eucalyptus Tree" Node within the "Template Tree" node set to be Visible, the problem occurs in v4.11.0.382 but not in v4.10.0.123
      With the "Eucalyptus Tree" Node within the "Template Tree" node set to be Invisible, and the "Template Tree" node set to be Visible, the problem does not occur in v4.11.0.382

Am I missing something, or is anyone else also having this problem?

TIA,
    P.

Update 08-Jun-2019: [SOLVED] Edit > Preferences > Interface > Display Optimization: Best fixes the problem.

duf
    duf
    test_scene.duf
    5M
    Post edited by Praxis on
    edited June 2019
    Praxis said:

v4.11.0.382 seems to have a problem with Instancing:

I have a scene with 30 Instances of a tree prop that has 185,274 vertices and 152,688 facets. (that's not very many - the sfpLargetree01 prop in Stonemason's Through the Woods has 420,383 vertices and 291,322 facets).

In v4.10.0.123:
    Orbiting the camera in the View Pane has instant response in both "Texture Shaded" and "NVIDIA Iray" Draw Modes, with the Lo-Res (pixelated) Iray display taking about 1 second to settle down to Hi-Res display.

In v4.11.0.382:
    Orbiting the camera in the View Pane has no effect for about 1 second in both "Texture Shaded" and "NVIDIA Iray" Draw Modes, with the Lo-Res (pixelated) Iray display taking about 1 second to settle down to Hi-Res display.

If I replace the Instanced "Tree" prop with a simple cylinder having only 50 vertices and 72 facets, then v4.11.0.382 Beta performs the same as v4.10.0.123

As far as I can tell, all DAZ Studio settings are identical in both versions (e.g. Iray Instancing Optimization is set to "Speed" in both versions.  But anyway that should be irrelevant for the simple OpenGL "Texture Shaded" Draw Mode).

System specs:
      CPU: 6-Core i7-4930K
      RAM: 64GB
      GPU: RTX2070 (8GB) and GTX780 (3GB), drivers v425.31
      O/S: Windows 7 Pro

It seems as as if v4.11.0.382 is trying to draw 30 Copies of the tree instead of 30 Instances.

I've attached a .duf file of the trees in the scene, that reproduces the problem:
      With the "Eucalyptus Tree" Node within the "Template Tree" node set to be Visible, the problem occurs in v4.11.0.382 but not in v4.10.0.123
      With the "Eucalyptus Tree" Node within the "Template Tree" node set to be Invisible, and the "Template Tree" node set to be Visible, the problem does not occur in v4.11.0.382

Am I missing something, or is anyone else also having this problem?

TIA,
    P.

I downloaded and tested your scene. I didn't notice a difference in camera orbiting response between 4.10.0.123 and 4.11.0.382 in either Texture Shaded or Iray Preview viewport modes. I did notice that 4.11.0.382 took about 10 seconds to display the initial Iray Preview, but 4.10.0.123 took only 3 seconds. But once the preview was displayed, it seemed to rotate at the same rate. (I dragged the navigation cube around to rotate the camera.) Have you compared the values in the Draw Settings pane to see if they are the same in both versions? I am using a GTX 980Ti graphics card.

• crash02crash02 Posts: 0

Hey everyone! Anyone else not able to view any renders in the iray shader? In the previous public beta this worked amazingly well - now it prepares the scene forever. Will downloadig the studio drivers from nvidia help resolve this? I have an RTX 2080. Thanks for your help!

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 240
    barbult said:

I downloaded and tested your scene. I didn't notice a difference in camera orbiting response between 4.10.0.123 and 4.11.0.382 in either Texture Shaded or Iray Preview viewport modes. I did notice that 4.11.0.382 took about 10 seconds to display the initial Iray Preview, but 4.10.0.123 took only 3 seconds. But once the preview was displayed, it seemed to rotate at the same rate. (I dragged the navigation cube around to rotate the camera.) Have you compared the values in the Draw Settings pane to see if they are the same in both versions? I am using a GTX 980Ti graphics card.

Thank you for testing this.yes

Yes, the Draw Settings are identical in both DS versions - thanks for the suggestion.

In the original post I should not have mentioned Iray at all, because this is clearly not an Iray issue.

For the record, on my system both DS versions behave as described in my previous post, in "Texture Shaded" Draw Style, regardless of:

•  Any combination of CPU, GTX780, RTX2070 being enabled or disabled in the Iray Advanced Render Settings.
    • Whether Iray or 3Delight Renderer is active.
    • The tool used to manipulate the View.

The delay in v4.11.0.382 is directly proportional to the number of Instances.

I'm stumped - any more ideas?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    crash02 said:

Hey everyone! Anyone else not able to view any renders in the iray shader? In the previous public beta this worked amazingly well - now it prepares the scene forever. Will downloadig the studio drivers from nvidia help resolve this? I have an RTX 2080. Thanks for your help!

Do you mean the Iray viewport? Nothing has changed Iray-wise other than canvasses between the previous beta and this one. Make sure the drivers are up to date and you can try the Studio drivers.

• What happened to the description of changes & fixes in the latest beta in the first posting? Not it's just a bunch of links all over the place and none seem to have any pertinent info on the most current beta. This is confusing and doesn't really instill much confidence in this beta in me at all. 

really, what's wrong with changing the first post, or creating a new thread for the new beta? Putting the new data for the new beta in a place that's logical and easy for the user to find?

What happened to the description of changes & fixes in the latest beta in the first posting? Not it's just a bunch of links all over the place and none seem to have any pertinent info on the most current beta. This is confusing and doesn't really instill much confidence in this beta in me at all. 

really, what's wrong with changing the first post, or creating a new thread for the new beta? Putting the new data for the new beta in a place that's logical and easy for the user to find?

People don't read change logs, so it was splitted up to make it easier to find and read things. The latest will be the last post in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330101/daz-studio-pro-4-11-highlights#latest

The same was done for Iray:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330161/daz-studio-pro-4-11-nvidia-iray#latest

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I just want to say a big Thank You! for adding a way to preserve our custom menus.

When 366 was released, and Update and Merge Menus was required, I took the time to save a copy of the menu.dsx file and when my custom menus, (Scripts, Favorites, and one for dForce,) disappeared, either the entries or entirely, I was able to put them back in using a text editor.

I was in the middle of a project when 380 was released, so I intended to finish the project before updating. However, 382 was released, so when I finished the project, I installed 382, skipping 380. Because of this, I don't know if the change was in 380 or 382, but either way, I noticed. And I wanted the developers to know I noticed, and know how very much I appreciate the fix.

Thank you, a hundred times over.

What happened to the description of changes & fixes in the latest beta in the first posting? Not it's just a bunch of links all over the place and none seem to have any pertinent info on the most current beta. This is confusing and doesn't really instill much confidence in this beta in me at all. 

People don't read change logs, so it was splitted up to make it easier to find and read things. The latest will be the last post in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330101/daz-studio-pro-4-11-highlights#latest

The same was done for Iray:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/330161/daz-studio-pro-4-11-nvidia-iray#latest

Some people do. I have it bookmarked, and the name of the bookmark includes the latest build number in the log. However, my bookmark goes directly to the Private Build, and I seldom bother to scroll up to the top of the page.

Perhaps it should have been people tend not to smiley

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140

OH so the scripts menu will be good when we update to the Final General release rather having to recreate it AGAIN?  

edited June 2019

To anybody testing 4.11.0.382:

Speak up if you see something that seems wrong. Two things I identified just two days ago have already been fixed in the next upcoming version! You know, squeaky wheel, and all that. 

Edit: I know this because I read the Change Log!

• Revln9Revln9 Posts: 4

Still unusable , the Activepose tool when used with the parameter "pin at both" crashs everytime... and this thing is happening on all 4.11 versions , 4.10 is fine

One more Strand-Based Hair Editor painting issue: When I click the paintbrush in the viewport to paint a single spot, nothing gets painted, I have to click and drag the brush to get any paint laid down. But I want to make a single round spot. If I have to drag the brush, the painted area becomes somwhat oblong. Is there a reason why it can't paint with a single mouse click? I don't know if this issue is related to the other issue I reported about no paint getting laid down or not.

RAMWolff said:

OH so the scripts menu will be good when we update to the Final General release rather having to recreate it AGAIN?  

It certainly looks that way. When I installed 382, it created a separate file, named customactions.dsx, for all of my custom menu items. And after I applied Update and Merge Menus, my three custom menus were intact.

Happy dance!

barbult said:

One more Strand-Based Hair Editor painting issue: When I click the paintbrush in the viewport to paint a single spot, nothing gets painted, I have to click and drag the brush to get any paint laid down. But I want to make a single round spot. If I have to drag the brush, the painted area becomes somwhat oblong. Is there a reason why it can't paint with a single mouse click? I don't know if this issue is related to the other issue I reported about no paint getting laid down or not.

I noticed the same thing when I played with this, with 366 installed.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    L'Adair said:
    RAMWolff said:

It certainly looks that way. When I installed 382, it created a separate file, named customactions.dsx, for all of my custom menu items. And after I applied Update and Merge Menus, my three custom menus were intact.

Happy dance!

That makes me very very happy too!  

SnoopyDance.jpg
    600 x 1000 - 48K
  • Hi,

i can’t save or cancel render if the ”new window” is maximazied...

anyone else?

BR // Daniel

Hi,

i can’t save or cancel render if the ”new window” is maximazied...

anyone else?

BR // Daniel

It's fine for me. When you maximize the render window, what do you get?