Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• L'Adair said:

I'm not sure how this happened, but I suspect it has something to do with the event handler for the mouse:

Viewing the Viewport through my camera, I was zooming in and panning while looking for the best angle and distance for the final image. The Draw Mode was Nividia Iray, which isn't too bad with a single GTX 1080. And suddenly, everything went black. It was rendering, but all I could see was solid black. I won't go into the things I tried, or the bad words I uttered. I'll just skip forward to what I finally figured out had happened.

I'm using TerraDome 3 with the water prop. I didn't need the depth of the prop, so I had the Y-Scale set to 11%, with the prop moved up into position. Somehow, while "dragging" the zoom control to get closer to the figure, the Y-Scale was reset to 100%, That put the scene and the camera deep inside the prop where, apparently, the sun don't shine. Not only was I viewing the scene through the camera, but I also had the camera selected and the transforms showing in the parameters tab.

I've had the mouse "let go" while dragging. I've had it let go of one thing and grab another while dragging. But this is the first time I've seen anything like this.

Not sure if it's a fluke, or if it's a bug. Has anyone else seen any such bizarre mouse behavior with this beta? If so, I'll report this as a bug.

ETA: It ocurrs to me, I should also mention I use a wireless Logitech trackman marble. (M570).

Rob says:

Sounds like a button on the trackball is starting to fail. Physically. I've used Logitech trackballs for years. At home and in the office. Both wired and wireless. I've had similar things happen, in various applications (or even just the OS), numerous times... and each time it ended up being that the poor construction of the switch under the button (usually the left - the one that gets the most use) began to fail. Finally tired of this happening, I switched brands (Elecom) at home and have been satisfied with the quality/performance so far.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

I haven't had the same situation that L'Adair saw, but I've had a strange situation in the Strand-Based Hair Editor. The direction that the mouse wheel zooms seems to randomly change. Sometimes rolling the wheel backward zooms in and sometimes it zooms out. I can't figure out what is causing it to change. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2019
    barbult said:

I haven't had the same situation that L'Adair saw, but I've had a strange situation in the Strand-Based Hair Editor. The direction that the mouse wheel zooms seems to randomly change. Sometimes rolling the wheel backward zooms in and sometimes it zooms out. I can't figure out what is causing it to change. 

With the last beta release, they added code to make the editor use the Invert Mouse Wheel option we can set in Preferences, (F2). Do you have that option checked? If so, it could be that some of the code isn't "seeing" that flag set.

I recommend disabling the option in Preferences Window->Workspace->Customize (F3) and see if the behavior goes away. (Assuming you have it checked.)

ETA: Corrected the info on where the option was located.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    L'Adair said:

I'm not sure how this happened, but I suspect it has something to do with the event handler for the mouse:

Viewing the Viewport through my camera, I was zooming in and panning while looking for the best angle and distance for the final image. The Draw Mode was Nividia Iray, which isn't too bad with a single GTX 1080. And suddenly, everything went black. It was rendering, but all I could see was solid black. I won't go into the things I tried, or the bad words I uttered. I'll just skip forward to what I finally figured out had happened.

I'm using TerraDome 3 with the water prop. I didn't need the depth of the prop, so I had the Y-Scale set to 11%, with the prop moved up into position. Somehow, while "dragging" the zoom control to get closer to the figure, the Y-Scale was reset to 100%, That put the scene and the camera deep inside the prop where, apparently, the sun don't shine. Not only was I viewing the scene through the camera, but I also had the camera selected and the transforms showing in the parameters tab.

I've had the mouse "let go" while dragging. I've had it let go of one thing and grab another while dragging. But this is the first time I've seen anything like this.

Not sure if it's a fluke, or if it's a bug. Has anyone else seen any such bizarre mouse behavior with this beta? If so, I'll report this as a bug.

ETA: It ocurrs to me, I should also mention I use a wireless Logitech trackman marble. (M570).

Rob says:

Sounds like a button on the trackball is starting to fail. Physically. I've used Logitech trackballs for years. At home and in the office. Both wired and wireless. I've had similar things happen, in various applications (or even just the OS), numerous times... and each time it ended up being that the poor construction of the switch under the button (usually the left - the one that gets the most use) began to fail. Finally tired of this happening, I switched brands (Elecom) at home and have been satisfied with the quality/performance so far.

That would really suck, as I bought it the same time as The Beast, and I don't use it nearly as much as the one on this computer. (Maybe I should try swapping them, see if the issue follows the mouse.)

L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

With the last beta release, they added code to make the editor use the Invert Mouse Wheel option we can set in Preferences, (F2). Do you have that option checked? If so, it could be that some of the code isn't "seeing" that flag set.

I recommend disabling the option in Preferences and see if the behavior goes away. (Assuming you have it checked.)

I can't find that option in preferences. Do you know what tab it is on?

• L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Rob says:

That would really suck, as I bought it the same time as The Beast, and I don't use it nearly as much as the one on this computer. (Maybe I should try swapping them, see if the issue follows the mouse.)

Rob says he has had a Logitech device fail in the first three months, he's been usi

L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

I recommend disabling the option in Preferences and see if the behavior goes away. (Assuming you have it checked.)

The code is just a UI bit to set the flag and a bit to invert values if the flag is set, it isn't spread over multiple areas for there to be problems in some passes but not others.

The "Graphics Settings.." button in the Strand-Based Hair Editor offers a choice of Normal or Low via radio buttons. When I select one and click the Accept button, the next time I look, neither radio button is highlighted. I cannot tell which option is selected.

edited June 2019
    barbult said:
    L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

I can't find that option in preferences. Do you know what tab it is on?

I screwed up. It's at the bottom of the Customize dialog, F3.

L'Adair said:
    barbult said:

The code is just a UI bit to set the flag and a bit to invert values if the flag is set, it isn't spread over multiple areas for there to be problems in some passes but not others.

That makes sense to me. However, the fact @barbult was seeing erratic behavior means something isn't quite right. By checking/disabling the option and then using the editor, whether the problem goes away or not, it still provides valuable information to the software team.

edited June 2019
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Rob says:

Rob says he has had a Logitech device fail in the first three months, he's been usi

I've been using Logitech products since the first trackman marble, and never felt like a device failed too soon in the life cycle. I've always had an issue with the wireless device on this computer, due to the fact it's running Win7 on a machine that has hardware optimize for Win8/10. I needed to change something in the BIOS that this hardware won't allow access to. I finally gave up on it, and plugged in an old usb version of the same thing, and it still works like a champ. Probably 10 years old now, maybe older.

On the other hand, seems like quality keeps going down on everything as costs continue to go up and up and up! So it could very well be the device. But with two computers using the same monitor, I hate to use wired input devices. Too darn many cords to deal with, when moving things out of the way! (I really need to expand my desk surface, and get a new monitor for The Beast!)

• Vertigo789Vertigo789 Posts: 72
    edited June 2019

4.11 seems to screw up certain skin materials. Here's a scene with the Animated Shapes characters. The character on the ground is using the Wet & Tanned Skins materials for Genesis 2. In 4.10, it looks fine. In 4.11, there's weird seams showing up. No changes to anything in the scene between these shots. Identical light setup and render settings, just rendered in 4.10 and 4.11.

4.11.jpg
    600 x 865 - 395K
    4.10.jpg
    600 x 865 - 370K
    Post edited by Vertigo789 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    Imago said:

The Beta still doesn't save the settings for Custom UVs in my scenes, they keep get reverted to Default at every scene loading.

It looks like it simply doesn't save the parameter's settings.

Fixed in the update which has been released today.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited June 2019

Hmmm, I don't see the beta in DIM either.  Display Hidden is ticked.  Software, Windows 32-bit, Windows 64-bit, Public Build are all ticked. I can see PostgreeSL CMS Public Build Beta but not Daz Studio 4.11.  Log says:

Product 12000-2:DAZ Studio 4.11 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+ has no tags
    Product 12000-1:DAZ Studio 4.11 (Win 32-bit) Public Build +BETA+ has no tags

Not sure what that means.

NVM, installed it manually.

Post edited by Robinson on

@Robinson, Have you "purchased" the beta from the store? If not, go here, Add the beta to your cart, and checkout. (You can't download anything that isn't in your Product Library, and the way to get it there is to "buy" it.)

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    L'Adair said:

@Robinson, Have you "purchased" the beta from the store? If not, go here, Add the beta to your cart, and checkout. (You can't download anything that isn't in your Product Library, and the way to get it there is to "buy" it.)

Yes, I had "bought" the previous beta.  I downloaded the ZIP and it's fine now, thank you.

Robinson said:
    L'Adair said:

Yes, I had "bought" the previous beta.  I downloaded the ZIP and it's fine now, thank you.

Good. I'm glad you got that worked out.
    yes

edited June 2019

I can't find the comment to quote it, but I read that the latest version of Iray processes more info per iteration.

I bring this up because I'm currently rendering a scene with a "river" behind the set. The image looks great everywhere except for the water, which is still a bit grainy. The image is currently at 6701 iterations.

This is using the Quad HD dimension setting. I'm using the ZoneA ground and water zones from TerraDome3, with one of the water shaders on the water. There are also a high number of instances for grass and moss.

Are there changes that might cause this to be an issue? Or could it be because the Instancing Optimization is set to Memory? Or maybe something else altogether…?

ETA: This is with v 14.11.0.380. It's been rendering all night, so I haven't installed .382 yet.

• LindaBLindaB Posts: 169

I attempted a render using the bloom filter, DS 11 crashed before the render could be completed. I reverted back to an earlier version on the file and was able to render the image without the bloom filter. Just for a test, I tried to re-render the imagewith the bloom filter on, and DS crashed once again. Not only did it crash, but the file got corrupted and can't be re-rendered. I have an un-corrupted version so all is well, but it appears that the bloom filter creates problems with the DS 11 Beta.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    edited June 2019
    L'Adair said:

I can't find the comment to quote it, but I read that the latest version of Iray processes more info per iteration.

Here

L'Adair said:

I bring this up because I'm currently rendering a scene with a "river" behind the set. The image looks great everywhere except for the water, which is still a bit grainy. The image is currently at 6701 iterations.

This is using the Quad HD dimension setting. I'm using the ZoneA ground and water zones from TerraDome3, with one of the water shaders on the water. There are also a high number of instances for grass and moss.

Are there changes that might cause this to be an issue? Or could it be because the Instancing Optimization is set to Memory? Or maybe something else altogether…?

ETA: This is with v 14.11.0.380. It's been rendering all night, so I haven't installed .382 yet.

What you are describing is perfectly normal behavior when rendering water using a physically accurate rendering engine like Iray. Water causes light beams to do all sorts of weird things when they hit it/pass through it. And accurately depicting that behavior is extremely taxing in terms of of the number of distinct samples (iterations) needed to fill in that part of the scene so that it looks continues. And the more physically accurate the rendering engine is, the longer that process takes.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited June 2019
    RayDAnt said:
    L'Adair said:

Here

L'Adair said:

What you are describing is perfectly normal behavior when rendering water using a physically accurate rendering engine like Iray. Water causes light beams to do all sorts of weird things when they hit it/pass through it. And accurately depicting that behavior is extremely taxing in terms of of the number of distinct samples (iterations) needed to fill in that part of the scene so that it looks continues. And the more physically accurate the rendering engine is, the longer that process takes.

@RayDAnt, Thank you for the link. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I've always seen glass and water were improved by longer renders, but they weren't necessarily grainy, with shorter renders. As I let Iray render longer, caustics improved and reflections appeared, or became clearer. That the water in the image took so long for the grain to resolve, could be due to other factors as well, but it's good to know up front the accuracy of the engine is going to require longer renders when water is involved.

Thank you for the explanation.

• smw5smw5 Posts: 7

What about Strand-Based Hair Editor for Mac ?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    smw5 said:

What about Strand-Based Hair Editor for Mac ?

It is available.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

.382 update caused AoA Subsurface character mats for some Genesis 2 characters I am using to go 'white' when loading from a pre-.382 save file.  I was able to re-apply the materials and save a new version, but … how annoying.

Ostadan said:

.382 update caused AoA Subsurface character mats for some Genesis 2 characters I am using to go 'white' when loading from a pre-.382 save file.  I was able to re-apply the materials and save a new version, but … how annoying.

That might not be a Beta issue. That has been happening almost randomly for years already. If you've never run into it, consider yourself lucky! Your action to reapply materials usually works to fix it.

• emidio90emidio90 Posts: 2

Guys I have a RTX 2080 TI and when rendering after a while it stops using the GPU and uses only the CPU. It's totally random, sometimes after 5 min sometimes after 20, even when the PC isn't doing anything else. How can I solve it? Is it a known issue?

• emidio90 said:

Guys I have a RTX 2080 TI and when rendering after a while it stops using the GPU and uses only the CPU. It's totally random, sometimes after 5 min sometimes after 20, even when the PC isn't doing anything else. How can I solve it? Is it a known issue?

What is in your scenes?

edited June 2019

I'm having a problem with Strand-Based Hair Editor painting. Immediately after clicking the navigation icon that looks like 4 corners with a + in the center, or the icon that looks like a white circle with an arrow inside (the bottom two icon of the fiove), the paintbrush will not paint. I have to click another navitgation tool to get the paintbrush to lay down any paint.

Edit: Hmm. Sometimes clicking another navigation icon doesn't even fix the problem. Sometimes I have to roll the mouse wheel or do other clicking around to get the painting to work. Am I missing something obvious?

Post edited by barbult on

More painting trouble. I set the Brush Value to 50% and the Alt Value to 0%. I painted and accepted the change. Later I opened the editor again (in the same scene, on the same character, in the same session of Daz Studio). The Paint tab interface opens showing the default values of Brush Value 100% and Alt Value 0%, but the brush is painting with 50% (the value it was set to in the last editor session) instead of 100%. I had to drag the Value slider back to a lower value and then back to 100% to get it to paint at 100% again.

More painting problems. When I change the Brush Value and Alt Value and paint, sometimes when I close the Strand-Based Editor and reopen it, those two controls don't show default values. Once it opened with both Value and Alt Value at 100%. One time Value was 100% and Alt Value was 78.9% (a value I don't think I ever set it to). This behavior is not predictable or always repeatable, It is as though something in the interface is not initialized and comes up with random values.

Here's another painting inconsistency. If I create a New Texture Set, that set is selected and when I paint, the paint goes on the Texture Set. However, if I duplicate a Texture Set, that new duplicate is not selected, and I end up accidently painting on the original instead of the duplicate. It seems to me that for consistency, anytime an "new" Texture Set is created, by New, Duplicate, or Import, that "new" Texture Set should be the one selected for painting.